What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Have new pans, now need knives - recommendations? UPDATE - Ordered (1 Viewer)

Judge Smails

Footballguy
Upgraded to a great set of All Clad Stainless D5's.  Also got a few non-stick pans strictly for eggs, etc.  So set there.  But my knives are ancient, not sharp and ready for the scrap heap.  My wife likes to buy things at Costco if possible because of their great return policy, but I'm not in love with what I see on their website.  I've had some recommend to me forget the full set/block stuff and just get a few great knives, like a top end Chef's knife. I've only got one specialty knife, and that is a Dexter 12 inch scalloped knife as recommended by Aaron Franklin for brisket.  It is my favorite knife but of course very limited.

I know we have some serious cooks here - what say you?   

Last edited by a moderator:
I recommend, if you can, just spending the money on 1 or 2 really good knifes. Shun level stuff. A good Chef knife and a good pairing knife will accomplish 95% of what you need on a daily basis.  I’m partial to Shuns myself but there are a bunch of high end options.  

Really looking at MAC MTH-80's after seeing reviews.  Looks like Japanese/German are the way to go.  Lots of love for Wusthof's too

Best Chef Knives Overview

Zwilling J.A. Henckels Professional S Chef Knife

Wusthof Classic Ikon Santoku

Messermeister Meridian Elite Stealth Chef Knife

Global Santoku (G-48)

MAC MTH-80 – Professional Series Chef Knife with Dimples

Shun Classic Chef Knife

I recommend, if you can, just spending the money on 1 or 2 really good knifes. Shun level stuff. A good Chef knife and a good pairing knife will accomplish 95% of what you need on a daily basis.  I’m partial to Shuns myself but there are a bunch of high end options.  
Good stuff - so you recommend going away from the full set and just get the chef and pairing knives? Here's what a sample set

https://www.cutleryandmore.com/mac-professional/knife-block-set-p139808?refSrc=8060&nosto=nosto-page-product1

I find I use my boning knife a bunch ...

Good stuff - so you recommend going away from the full set and just get the chef and pairing knives? Here's what a sample set

https://www.cutleryandmore.com/mac-professional/knife-block-set-p139808?refSrc=8060&nosto=nosto-page-product1
Yeah I ditched the full set 10+ yrs ago and haven’t looked back.  I’m the cook in our house too.   I’ve added some nice knives the last few years just as gifts to myself but had just my Shun Chef knife, a shun pairing and a cheap serrated bread knife for years and years.  Worked perfect.  I think I’ve had my $250 Shun Chef for 15yrs.  With periodic sharpening it’s still like new.  

I have the Henckels chef knife. It is solid and holds an edge really well. Good heft without being heavy, good balance and I've used it for hours at a time without any hand cramping or soreness. I don't know how it stacks up, price wise, but I'd recommend it. 

I've had some recommend to me forget the full set/block stuff and just get a few great knives, like a top end Chef's knife. 
I have a block of Henckel knives that came from Costco almost 20 years ago that I still use to this day, but the stuff I’ve seen there lately looks to be lower quality. I’d second the idea of just getting a couple nice knives instead of a whole set because reality is that I only really use my santoku and paring knives with any regularity.  All I ever do is hone the knives and they’ve stayed razor sharp, but I’ve been thinking about getting some wet stones just to see how sharp I can get them. 

I love my globals and henckels twin select.

My favorite boning knife was a wusthof classic 6" (it "disappeared" one shift)

edit: if you are not going to get a full set, get an 8-9" chefs knife

get a 6" chef's knife

a pairing

a serrated

How often do you all sharpen knives? Like a high quality chef knife?
Listen to these guys:

We got Cutco knives as a wedding present and they are still awesome 28+ years later.  

I have Cutco knives and I would recommend them highly.  Guaranteed for life and they will sharpen or replace as needed for free.  
And it's not a lifetime guarantee, it's a FOREVER guarantee.  You can leave them to your heirs and always get free sharpens (about every 18 months to answer your question about frequency) and brand new knives if they break or completely wear out.  No paperwork or proof of purchase required.

They are the holly grail when hitting estate and yard sales.  Find an old beat up Cutco and turn it into a brand new knife in your collection.

ETA: Went Le Creuset for our cookware in addition to 4 different sizes of cast iron skillets.  An $18 Lodge pan from Walmart is the best frying pan for the money hands down and will also last forever.

I bought the Tojiro Gyutou on recommendation from @[icon]7 years ago.  Love it.  I now have callouses on my fingers that are specific to this knife I use it so much. I use this knife as my everyday chef, the same scalloped "Aaron Franklin" Dexter for bread and big meat slicing, and a couple different size Dexter filet knifes for fish cleaning and deboning. Every other knife I have is really extraneous beyond this group at this point for me.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UAPQGS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Listen to these guys:

And it's not a lifetime guarantee, it's a FOREVER guarantee.  You can leave them to your heirs and always get free sharpens (about every 18 months to answer your question about frequency) and brand new knives if they break or completely wear out.  No paperwork or proof of purchase required.

They are the holly grail when hitting estate and yard sales.  Find an old beat up Cutco and turn it into a brand new knife in your collection.

ETA: Went Le Creuset for our cookware in addition to 4 different sizes of cast iron skillets.  An $18 Lodge pan from Walmart is the best frying pan for the money hands down and will also last forever.
I have a few Cutco knives. Including that great rounded one that doubles as a sandwich spreader. Like em but don’t think I want them as the cornerstone 

Thanks all.  Did a bunch of research including your recommendations.  Mrs. Smails and I agreed we use a Chef's knife 2X more than anything else and many times we are prepping at the same time - so we ordered 2.  Top rated in the reviews I looked at was the MAC MTH-80 Professional Series 8 inch with Dimples

Chef Knife

https://www.foodandwine.com/lifestyle/kitchen/best-chefs-knife

As for the others, Wusthof was rated the best.  My chef brother also swears by them.  Went with these 2

Wusthof Classic High Carbon Steel Knife Paring Knife, 3.5 Inch

Wusthof Classic-5" Boning Knife

So those will be the cornerstone knives and we'll get new steak knives next

I have Cutco knives and I would recommend them highly.  Guaranteed for life and they will sharpen or replace as needed for free.  
I second that.  The service is excellent.  They replace stuff, no questions asked.  My MIL bought some of them back in the 59's.  They are just as good as ever.

Just got a few of these, too. I think it was a serrated slicer and fork, cheese knife and a pairing knife. LOVE their handles, I'll be getting more knives for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread