What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HBO Series "Vinyl" - Coming in 2016 (2 Viewers)

I think someone said it before in here but Finestra is impossible to care about/root for (same goes for his wife...although it was nice to see her wooly bits).

While Romano's character is interesting and sympathetic.
I think the majority watching can agree with all of this. I do like Zak Yankovich. I'm also fairly certain this murder thing, which was ignored this episode, and based off of the preview for next week will be ignored again, has no wheels. They gonna send the coke monster to prison? They might as well have just let the company sale go through if that was the case.

I have a lot of faith this show can deliver... They've got the entire 70's to make something happen. Smart production and cast, they aren't just going to repeat the same thing over and over, there have to peaks and valleys to give it some flavor, can't just be one gigantic #### up after the next, I think.

I'm as excited to watch this on my DVR as any other show right now, and my hopes are high for 4-5 good seasons.

I find it hard to like any of the characters though, which does make watching somewhat less enjoyable.
I was thinking of this last night.  I kept thinking how in Entourage, I kind of liked every character and in GOT I usually enjoy the "bad" characters more than the good ones.

I was also wondering how actresses will address nudity when they do period pieces of the 2000's in 20-30 years when they won't be able to break out the merkin and stay true to the times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still gives me a laugh when Cannavale does a bump.  His over the top reactions reminds me of a guy who has never done blow. 

Still gives me a laugh when Cannavale does a bump.  His over the top reactions reminds me of a guy who has never done blow. 
Watching this show makes me want to do blow, just like watching Mad Men made me want to have a scotch and smoke a cigarette.

I was amused that they had Bowie do Suffragette City. Just last week I heard it on the radio and decided to look up what he was saying there.

..so Zak realizes he got conned by Richie and they fight to the death in which coming episode? And who seriously puts that many chips on a single number? Just...wow.

Why do I continue to watch this show every week?
I'm committed for the last 3 episodes of the season, but will reconsider season 2. Hopefully they kill Richie off, which doesn't seem likely.

Ill prob keep watching anyways, begrudgingly :kicksrock:

I would like to see this be more about the music industry. The character stuff just isn't doing it for me. Feels like they are trying to be showy instead of trusting that there's something interesting to tell us about this period. I'm OK with the main character being a trainwreck (car wreck?), but I'd like to see some of this implied genius as a forward-thinker in music.
This is some :goodposting:  

Such a good show in theory too, I can't believe that it isn't delivering.
Yep.  I had such high hopes.  Before the season started, I was thinking this show could be a mix of Boogie Nights with Goodfellas.  Instead I got Rock N Roll Sons of Anarchy.  

I really like Zac Yankovich, the only character that isn't awful.

I wouldn't know what to wear, I'd cum too fast, disappoint two women :lmao:  

Pretty strong episode last night. Still not liking the Buck Rogers subplot. Really liking the Lester Grimes scenes.

Strange that with all the conflict on the show I only remotely care about one character (Romano).   I'll get through this season only b/c I'm not a quitter.  

Kinda what I expected from the finale - not bad, not great... I'll continue watching, but if they get rid of Zak, I'm out - I need to like at least one character to watch a show, I can't just hate them all, Lester is okay too.

As “Vinyl” wraps up its first season on HBO, this costly period drama about the music industry has already hit some worrisome bumps: on Friday it was announced that Terence Winter, the show runner and a co-creator of the series, was leaving and would be replaced by new producers. In a statement HBO said it had decided it was “an appropriate time to make a change in the creative direction of the show.”

Mr. Winter was previously the show runner of HBO’s gangster drama “Boardwalk Empire” and had been a producer on “The Sopranos,” as well as the screenwriter of Mr. Scorsese’s film “The Wolf of Wall Street.” HBO said in its statement that Scott Z. Burns, a writer of films like “The Bourne Ultimatum,” “The Informant” and “Contagion,” will be the new show runner of “Vinyl,” and that Max Borenstein (“Godzilla”) will join him as an executive producer. Together, HBO said, they will be “the new team helming the show.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/09/arts/television/terence-winter-out-as-vinyl-showrunner.html

:lmao:  at Jagger's kid getting all butt hurt over a girl.  Then being brought back from an apparent OD and immediately trying to fight his bandmate.  That was scene was pretty bad.  

I'm still trying to figure out how the Nasty Bits have become such divas.   They haven't really done anything.  Have they even recorded a track?  Most bands are pretty hungry when they first get started.  These guys are acting like they're Guns N Roses after A4D. 

:lmao:  at Jagger's kid getting all butt hurt over a girl.  Then being brought back from an apparent OD and immediately trying to fight his bandmate.  That was scene was pretty bad.  

I'm still trying to figure out how the Nasty Bits have become such divas.   They haven't really done anything.  Have they even recorded a track?  Most bands are pretty hungry when they first get started.  These guys are acting like they're Guns N Roses after A4D. 
Because they are punk, man!

I'm glad the series is over.  I originally got sucked in by the time period and the first two episodes but it never made me care much about any of the many meandering plot threads.

I really liked Cannavale in Boardwalk Empire, The Station Agent, Win-Win, Adult Beginners and Blue Jasmine but something about him in this I just didn't like.

Browsed the thread quickly. Very surprised that almost all of you hated the show. It wasn't a masterpiece by any means, but it was enjoyable. I'm pissed there's no season 2. Maybe I liked it because there was a bunch of Sopranos actors in it... the guys who played Coco, Benny, Eugene, Richie, Jason Parisi, Little Paulie and Artie.

Users who are viewing this thread