What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

heated debate about 2 qb league pick (1 Viewer)

sooted72

Footballguy
ok, my co-mgr and i got into a huge disagreement about this pick. normally he relents and gives in and takes who i want, but he didnt back down and took his guy. i will say that i thought there was a super duper insanely obvious pick here that he didnt want to go with.

quick background about this league that i think is super relevant. its a 10-team casual league full of basically awful fantasy football players. i estimate that we were like 30-40% to win this league before the draft. not the sharpest room as youll see from the screenshot of the draft board.

ok so this is a 10 team full ppr 2 qb league that starts 2 qb 2 rb 2 wr 2 flex (wrt NOT superflex) 1 te and we have the 10th pick. we are at the 3/4 turn. which 2 guys are you taking and why???
RB taylorRB cmcRB ekelerQB allenWR jeffersonRB henryWR kuppWR adamsWR chaseQB mahomes
WR diggsQB burrowRB kamaraQB prescottRB harrisRB cookQB rodgersQB jacksonQB herbertQB murray
RB mixonWR deeboWR hillRB swiftWR lambWR allenTE kelceRB chubbQB wilson

top available players in order of draft dominator overall rankings:

16. QB brady
23. WR higgins
24. WR evans
25. RB barkley
28. RB jones
30. TE andrews
32. RB fournette
33. QB hurts
35. QB stafford
36. WR pittman
39. WR aj brown
40. RB conner

ill be interested in hearing everyones responses and thought processes.

I know the 3 QBs heading around round 1 and 2, I would have taken Herbert and Murray... but that is my opinion. I am taking Barkley - Jones, even though I would think about Barkley - Higgins...for a few seconds. I have Jones much higher than Higgins. I can find WRs...

I'd maybe go Barkley and Andrews there. @QB leagues bump RBs down the board. There are only 3 good TEs.

It is easily Barkley and Jones since you already have two QB's. Very easy choice in a PPR league for those two picks.

thanks for all the responses!

so nobody was thinking along the same lines i was. interesting...

obviously we took saquon. we had no interest in taking another rb there as we want to start 4 wrs every week. i wouldnt fault you if you wanted to take jones instead, but its not our style. he wanted a wr and the guy he likes the most is ajb so thats who he took. but nobody said what i was thinking...

my thought is that i really felt like we should have taken jalen hurts. the reason i like him there so much is that hes an insane value. we would be in a 2 qb league with 3 of the top 6 guys. he has that elite qb1 upside like all of the top 6 do. and then we wouldnt have to think about qb for the rest of the season. i mean we barely do as it stands but still. qbs are insanely valuable in this league and theres a ginormous dropoff after hurts.

i justify it this way: first, we have a huge edge over the league. they just dont know who to draft or what to do. i mean we had to pass 14th round elijah moore bc we already had too many good wrs. second, its a 10 team league and star power is important. theres a million flex guys out there but nobody else who can replace what hurts can do. and third, if we lose this league itll likely be bc we had a qb injury since we have (and pretty much knew at the time we'd be able to draft) a huge, solid, deep team full of flex players.

his was response was basically "youre out of your mind, we just invested our first 2 rounds of draft capital into qbs and we dont want to fall behind on position players so we're taking a wr". which i kinda get. but if you take our final roster, take off ajb and whatever backup rb we took in the last round and added elijah moore and hurts i think it gives us much more championship equity even if we figure to score a point or two lower every week instead.

thoughts?

I know the 3 QBs heading around round 1 and 2, I would have taken Herbert and Murray... but that is my opinion.
yeah we started to realize we had a chance to get mahomes or herbert (neither of which were available in any mocks i did) then when the rbs/wrs kept falling we're like 'wow watch this guy take chase and make us decide'. which he did. we talked it out for like 3 minutes. kyler is a no brainer imo. sexy bye week + hes my #2 qb. we went back and forth. i kinda prefer mahomes over herbert. i told him to decide and he grabbed mahomes. i suppose there are no wrong answers. i just kinda have a gut feeling this will be mahomes best year. not sure why.

also, in case i havent painted a picture of the guys in this league enough, after the run of like 7 qbs in a row somebody in chat was like, "hey whats going on???" and somebody had to tell him its a 2 qb league.

my thought is that i really felt like we should have taken jalen hurts. the reason i like him there so much is that hes an insane value. we would be in a 2 qb league with 3 of the top 6 guys. he has that elite qb1 upside like all of the top 6 do. and then we wouldnt have to think about qb for the rest of the season. i mean we barely do as it stands but still. qbs are insanely valuable in this league and theres a ginormous dropoff after hurts.
The first bolded statement is mostly lost to you when you already have two top 5 QB's. Having three of the top QB's is really not a big advantage because you are losing out on studs that you can actually play. So although you may be hurting your opponents by taking Hurts you are also hurting yourself by missing out on top end value at startable positions for you.

The second bolded point is also completely false. You would actually have to think more about QB as you would be stuck trying to decide which two of your "top 6 QB's" should you start. You will drive yourself mad trying to make that decision every week. Inevitably you would make the wrong decision every week causing you even more frustration.

Your team is much, much better off going the direction you went, although I still say that I would much rather have Jones over AJ Brown. Jones in a PPR is going to be very nice to have this year.

Users who are viewing this thread