What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

help setting up a contract/salary league (1 Viewer)

waiver wire

Footballguy
hey everyone

i am looking to start a salary/contract league and i am trying to find a salary slotting grid to use for the initial draft and future rookie drafts

EXAMPLE for initial draft

pick 1.01 10 million

pick 1.02 9.9 million

so anybody that has set up this type of league i was wondering if could post your initial and rookie salary slots or send me a PM

thanks

I'm curious about this as well.

We have a Contract Dynasty league where we use no salaries and only contracts to retain players. Always wondered how to determine salaries.

I can offer you some good insights having run a dynasty league that uses salary caps, player contracts, franchise/transition player tags, free agent auction and rookie drafts for 15 years.

PM me for league rules, web site, etc. Glad to help if I can.

My league is transitioning from a keep four league to a dynasty/salary cap league. Our salary cap is $167 (don't ask, I don't know why such an odd number was picked) and we are able to franchise one player at the veteran minimum and are allowed three "exemptions" during our initial auction. The exemptions are used after another player on your current roster is signed by another team. The exempted players are also signed for the veteran minimum.

The veteran minimum, which is used in the intial franchise and exemption stage and also for determining contract extensions later in the life of the league, is determined based on the previous years statistics. Here is how the contract value is determined.

10.1 Minimum Values will be determined on the following scales listed in this section.

10.2 Veteran Scale—Rushing and Receiving:

1-4 TD’s - $1

5 - 8 TD’s - $4

9-11 TD’s - $6

12-14 TD’s - $7

15+ TD’s - $10

In addition to (yards are combined for rushing and receiving):

50-350 yards - $1

351-650 yards - $2

651-850 yards - $3

851-1000 yards - $4

1001-1200 yards - $6

1201-1500 yards - $8

1500+ yards - $10

10.4. QB Scale – totals in Rule 10.2 are added to the following additional scale:

1-9 TD’s - $1

10-14 TD’s - $2

15-19 TD’s - $3

20-24 TD’s - $4

25-29 TD’s - $6

30+ TD’s - $8

In addition to:

50-1500 yards - $1

1501-2500 yards - $2

2501- 3000 yards - $4

3001-3700 yards - $6

4000+ yards - $8

Rookie contracts are detemined based on what position they play and what round of the NFL draft they are selected in. The scale is:

10.3 Rookie Scale (all positions)

1st round RB: $10, others, $6

2-3 RB: $6, others $4

4-7 RB: $3, others $2

Non-drafted $2.

All other player contracts will be determined during an initial auction. Non rookies can be signed to contracts for up to 5 years in length and rookies can be signed for up to 3 years.

My contract/salary league basically has salaries at $20 for 1st round, $15 for second, $10 for third, and then drops one dollar per round after that.

We have a cap of $130, and each free agent during the season counts as $1 (so you don't draft up to $130).

We allow four 2 or 3 year contracts a year per team, that are decided after the draft but before game 1. Contracts are guaranteed (so you have to be careful signing your first rounder for a 3 year deal, and injuries can be a real #####). So, in essence if owners use the 3 year contracts, teams could have about 8 players holding over from one year to the next.

So during each years draft, players often have to trade or pass on their pick, especially in the early rounds, depending on how much $ is coming back in signed players.

It has worked pretty well, we are in year 9.

For rookies, you should have a declining scale based on their position, as well as their draft position. Otherwise, for veterans, the only way to determine values in my opinion, is auction style, IMO.

We use a salary cap, assigning salary values based on LAST YEARS performance. If they are a rookie or got injured before the start of last season, then they go at a set salary by position.

Top QB salary is 4mil, Rookie = 1.5mil

Top RB salary is 3.5mil, Rookie = .7mil

Top WR salary is 3.5mil, Rookie = .5mil

Top TE salary is 1.5mil, Rookie = .3mil

Top K salary is 2mil, Rookie = .4mil

From the top player down, the salaries drop down as low as 200K

We have set positions, 2QB, 4RB, 4WR, 1TE, 1K, 2FLEX and an 18.5 mil cap

It's a fun format, but since we are going dynasty in 2009, I'm looking to tweak it... we love the salary cap aspect... but not sure how to expand it to a full dynasty roster... and salary implications year to year...

We use contracts but not salaries. It migt be interesting to add salaries in a year or so. I'll have to do some checking on that.

this has been very helpful

thanks for all the replies

i am going to try to attempt a idp dynasty league with contract and salaries with franchise and transition tags and hopefully with salary escalators if a player finishes in top 5 and top 10 scoring

how did everyone determine their cap number and salaries before the initial draft

For rookies, you should have a declining scale based on their position, as well as their draft position. Otherwise, for veterans, the only way to determine values in my opinion, is auction style, IMO.
I agree. When initializing rosters I think you have to go auction to determine salary. Setting up an arbitrary scale opens you up to too much criticism as a commissioner. If you had to do it though, I would create a non-linear scale. Something like $1000/(e^(.01)), where .01 is the first overall pick and 1.01 would be the 101st, or I would use the VBD spreadsheet set to auction values and last year's statistics and try to figure out how quickly value drops. The problem with this is that what ever you choose it's arbitrary. Don't forget that the numbers aren't going to add up to same for everyone either after the draft either. It's even worse if you use a linear scale scale, like 1000,999,998, etc. because the salary doesn't reflect the value of the player. Teams in a poor draft position will be more likely stuck with over priced players reducing the competitiveness of the league.So in conclusion have an auction draft and save yourself some headaches. An auction draft is half the fun in a dynasty league (we use blind bids for waivers and live auction at end of year for players after contract expires).With the auction owners truly get the players they want and while good owners are rewarded for recognizing value, bad owners are able to remain competitive (assuming fixed length contracts like 3 yrs. and increasing salaries each year, like 10%).

Users who are viewing this thread