What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Homeland (1 Viewer)

I thought it was a pretty good episode. Looks like they are transitioning away from the kids. Kept me on the edge of my seat. Would be nice to see some major stars get offed from time to time. One bad thing with American shows is they don't kill off enough people.

Will be interesting to see how this develops. Not sure how they can continue to keep things up and many of the great scenes were the interrogation ones which will probably be minimal going forward. I'm sure it'll give some cheap thrills but not too much content.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought it was a pretty good episode. Looks like they are transitioning away from the kids. Keep me on the edge of my seat. Would be nice to see some major stars get offed from time to time. One bad thing with American shows is they don't kill off enough people.

Will be interesting to see how this develops. Not sure how they can continue to keep things up and many of the great scenes were the interrogation ones which will probably be minimal going forward. I'm sure it'll give some cheap thrills but not too much content.
Try HBO. Those show-runners have no problem killing characters. Showtime and the networks are too concerned about losing their audience to allow the removal of familiar characters.

The wife is always nice to look at, anyway. Glad she ditched that awful hairdo from S1.
The wife is a good actress.Interesting how Carrie is incapable of following orders. They tell her not to do something again. AND SHE DOES IT ANYWAY. And is right, and then they tell her not to do something. AND SHE DOES IT ANYWAY. And is right, and then they tell her not to do something. AND SHE DOES IT ANYWAY.

The wife is always nice to look at, anyway. Glad she ditched that awful hairdo from S1.
The wife is a good actress.Interesting how Carrie is incapable of following orders. They tell her not to do something again. AND SHE DOES IT ANYWAY. And is right, and then they tell her not to do something. AND SHE DOES IT ANYWAY. And is right, and then they tell her not to do something. AND SHE DOES IT ANYWAY.
There was an all-time Carrie Face tonight after they searched the car and it was clean.

I thought it was a pretty good episode. Looks like they are transitioning away from the kids. Keep me on the edge of my seat. Would be nice to see some major stars get offed from time to time. One bad thing with American shows is they don't kill off enough people.

Try HBO. Those show-runners have no problem killing characters. Showtime and the networks are too concerned about losing their audience to allow the removal of familiar characters.
I've watched some of HBO but I guess the wrong shows. True Blood doesn't really kill anyone off. I missed the boat on Boardwalk so I'm trying to catch up but I know it has killed major characters off. They do own Cinemax so I'll give them credit for killing off several of the non-primary guys on Strike Back which may be one of the best shows nobody seems to talk about.

Reality Shows kill a major character every week. Nothing can compete with that. They construct the storylines, they manipulate the perceptions of the participants, they invent the whole thing and have the freedom to allow anyone to get whacked at any time. The ultimate form of the medium. It's why they're so popular, they're the gladiator contests of our modern day bread and circuses.

never seen a show spiral out of control quicker than Homeland. Dexter was solid for a few years before the tailspin, same for Sopranos and Oz.

I literally lol'd when Chris ran to the TV to play the game; after all the jokes on Chris from the media, couldn't they have edited these snips out of the episodes?

Saul thing makes no sense at all, they are trying to tie him to the murder of the prison chick, but Saul has the biggest freaking trump card ever! He knows about the DRONES, why the f didnt he bring it up to have some real leverage on Estes?

and they make the CIA into a gov't agency that doesnt have to follow the constitution, if Saul wanted he could have had an attorney present within the day or demand to be released.

Carrie finding the hidden tunnel really made this show into 24. And I love how only one person was left from the search team at the exact moment they found the passageway and the radio conspicuously wasnt working anymore. Then right after Nazir is abouuuut to kill Carrie, a whole squad come running in....but they were never called on the radio and they didnt hear Carrie's screams, so why exactly did they come running in like someone called them?

I dont mean to nitpick but the show has clearly reached the end of whatever creative prowess was heaped on it and its just a run of the mill show from now on.

never seen a show spiral out of control quicker than Homeland. Dexter was solid for a few years before the tailspin, same for Sopranos and Oz.

I literally lol'd when Chris ran to the TV to play the game; after all the jokes on Chris from the media, couldn't they have edited these snips out of the episodes?

Saul thing makes no sense at all, they are trying to tie him to the murder of the prison chick, but Saul has the biggest freaking trump card ever! He knows about the DRONES, why the f didnt he bring it up to have some real leverage on Estes?

and they make the CIA into a gov't agency that doesnt have to follow the constitution, if Saul wanted he could have had an attorney present within the day or demand to be released.

Carrie finding the hidden tunnel really made this show into 24. And I love how only one person was left from the search team at the exact moment they found the passageway and the radio conspicuously wasnt working anymore. Then right after Nazir is abouuuut to kill Carrie, a whole squad come running in....but they were never called on the radio and they didnt hear Carrie's screams, so why exactly did they come running in like someone called them?

I dont mean to nitpick but the show has clearly reached the end of whatever creative prowess was heaped on it and its just a run of the mill show from now on.
:confused: What shows do you like? I'd love to nitpick everything in these shows. They are fantasy for a reason. As far as Saul, I'm sure he'll use the drone stuff eventually. And I think after the last few years, we do know the CIA doesn't really need to follow the Constitution. Additionally, as they said, they were just polygraphing him which I assume is SOP for the CIA especially when they did have a decent amount of crap on him like Eileen killing herself with his stuff. I'm sure he could have asked for a lawyer present but he knew what it was about.

As far as the action scene, I have yet to see a movie/show where this doesn't happen. Heck, the show actually took a turn b/c usually the cavalry arrives right after the fight is over. What if the cops in the Dark Knight saw Harvey Dent throw the kid off the building? What if John McClain didn't think about the Federal Reserve where all of a sudden, no cops were around and there was plenty of gold? Those movies wouldn't really be movies then.

:confused: What shows do you like? I'd love to nitpick everything in these shows. They are fantasy for a reason. As far as Saul, I'm sure he'll use the drone stuff eventually. And I think after the last few years, we do know the CIA doesn't really need to follow the Constitution. Additionally, as they said, they were just polygraphing him which I assume is SOP for the CIA especially when they did have a decent amount of crap on him like Eileen killing herself with his stuff. I'm sure he could have asked for a lawyer present but he knew what it was about.

As far as the action scene, I have yet to see a movie/show where this doesn't happen. Heck, the show actually took a turn b/c usually the cavalry arrives right after the fight is over. What if the cops in the Dark Knight saw Harvey Dent throw the kid off the building? What if John McClain didn't think about the Federal Reserve where all of a sudden, no cops were around and there was plenty of gold? Those movies wouldn't really be movies then.
Suspending one's disbelief is one thing but the last few episodes, especially tonight's, are another. Just lazy hack writing. Weiner and Gilligan must love hate-watching this show.

I loved how Quinn and the calvary were almost coming off as if Carrie made up that Nazir was ever at the warehouse. No roadblocks, sniffing dogs or helicopters with infrared. Christ any of these guys seen The Fugitive.

Is their any quality control? For God's sake Brody is talking on his wire-tapped cell phone with Carrie about the circumstances of her "escape." Fifteen minutes can't go by in the last 3-4 episodes without something sloppy like this.

God that was a bad episode. :yucky:

Love how Carrie is abducted and they are kicking themselves that they were not protecting her. Few hours after she escapes she is back in her car on the road by herself with Nazir still on the lose. Bravo guys. :thumbup:

Lets not mention the stupid Galves stuff. If they were asking him to stop and he was innocent as he was shown to be, why did he not pull over asap?

And the second Carrie mentioned because he was a Muslim, you had to have known the show wouldn't goop down that path and actually make him a mole

Good episode. My only gripe is Carrie didn't have a gun when she went back for Nazir, after she was back at the office I would assume she could have gotten one.
I was wondering this too but thought she just dropped it and left it like she did the lead pipe earlier.
Has she even been issued her gun again? Considering she still doesn't officially have her job back yet, I don't think she's had a gun the whole season. :shrug: And is this all pro-bono work for her? She still getting benefits, or is that why she refuses to go to the hospital? So many questions.

They can't kill off Brody and still keep much of a show going, can they? I mean, the whole show is centered around Brody. And I don't really see Saul or Carrie going anywhere, either. Quinn, on the other hand, is an entirely disposable character. I have to think that trying to strong-arm Saul may not be the brightest idea in the world. Somehow, he's going to have something on someone and wind up on top in the butt-humping contest.

I was sure Brody was going to buy it this season, but the fact that Lewis has signed a 5 year contract with the show would indicate that Brody will be around for a long time. I'm disappointed with that possibility, as it just doesn't seem realistic that with everything Brody has done that he could remain a central character in the show for that long. I thought there might be a decent chance he would buy it last night, but I'm sure we will see him survive into next season and probably much longer. I'd really like to see his family disappear into witness protection and for the show to move on to new story lines.

She's not always right. Just in the last episode she blew the interrogation with Roya and led everyone on a wild goose chase after Galvez.

I couldn't understand the second half of what Roya was ranting about in the interrogation room.
Assuming you're serious since I don't see anything funny about that, it was Arabic. Carrie's light bulb moment when she demonstrated that she can't think and drive at the same time was thinking back on that and that she said Nazir wouldn't run.

There was an all-time Carrie Face tonight after they searched the car and it was clean.
My link

Just started watching this show. It's awesome and I love it. I told my wife and she got pissed because she's been meaning to start watching it too, so now she has to catch up so we can start watching it together. It's such an intense show, plus some good T&A.

1. This show is not "fantasy".2. I didn't realize "Homeland" was in the same category as Batman and Die Hard.

My link
:lmao: I think they're starting to soften the ground for a Chris/Walter Jr. SUPER-BREAKFAST. Kid was crushing some cereal in this episode. Also love how Dad polishes off the milk before the other kid wakes up. Then karma comes back when the kid is all YOU SUCK AT DADDING!

Best exchange of the night:

Chris: I liked living there. They made your bed in the morning!

Chris's Sister*: That was mom.

Chris: Herp-derp-herp [gets distracted by some sort of light or sound and exits left]

*whatever her name is

1. This show is not "fantasy".2. I didn't realize "Homeland" was in the same category as Batman and Die Hard.
So Homeland is reality? Is this based on Seal Team 6? And what category would you put it in? Again, please name some good shows so I can acquire these tastes.

That's almost Jack Bauer-like!

So Homeland is reality? Is this based on Seal Team 6? And what category would you put it in? Again, please name some good shows so I can acquire these tastes.
yes, its reality and its writers won all teh awards last year because they were able to suspend the disbelief that was evident through strong writing and plots. This year those logical leaps are not easy to gloss over because the show has gone loco on us. Sure other shows have things to nitpick, but if the overall product is still strong its easy to not nitpick, especially Breaking Bad. Many wild things happened but they were easy to understand and accept since the show was so strong.

This season of Homeland started off really well, no one was nitpicking too much; we accepted that Carrie could somehow run into the building while being chased by the terrorists and find the briefcase while the car was waiting and all that.

But IMO once the show started with ridiculous plots, like Brody being a car service for Nazir, people started getting iffy, but that was quickly forgotten when we had the Q&A episode which was amazing.

Once Nazir landed with that helicopter, this show flew off the rails and has been an Anti-Homeland show ever since.

I'm not sure you understand the basic concept of fiction.

Game of Thrones is fantasy. That word shouldn't come up when discussing Homeland.Current shows that manage to operate in a world that doesn't constantly have you rolling your eyes or laughing out loud at the ridiculousness include:

Boardwalk Empire

Treme

Mad Men

Louie

Girls

Breaking Bad

And even Thrones, which IS fantasy, is more believable than Homeland.

woah not sure if this was posted - and I'm sure others already mentioned this but I hadn't considered it.

All part of the master plan?

The New Yorker

Online Only

Culture Desk - Notes on arts and entertainment from the staff of The New Yorker.

« Maddow + Kushner = Adopt Me

Main

The Elevator-Rescue Teams of Moscow »

December 4, 2012

A “Homeland” Conspiracy Theory

Posted by Emily Nussbaum

homeland-465.png

Warning: major spoilers below.

Initially, I didn’t want to get too involved in the Great “Homeland” Plausibility War of December 3, 2012, which was triggered by Sunday night’s episode, “Broken Hearts.” But to sum up the overall mood of the TV-sphere, which has been bubbling on Twitter: Alan Sepinwall liked the emotional aspects of the episode, but found the plot ridiculous. Todd VanDerWerff found the plot ridiculous, but didn’t mind! Willa Paskin also found the plot ridiculous and it is driving her around the bend.

Yet I couldn’t help getting drawn in, because after some consideration, I found that I’d stumbled upon a solution—which is to say I developed a completely insane theory that explains everything. I am also prepared to defend my crazy theory at all costs, because this show is turning me into Carrie Mathison. Enough preamble. The theory is this: Nicholas Brody is faking it. He plotted with Abu Nazir to have Carrie kidnapped, so that Brody could “save” her, thus ensuring her loyalty and manipulating her into concealing their crimes (which she did, after all: she didn’t tell her bosses about the scheme to kill the Vice-President.) All that face-acting Damian Lewis was doing, with the yelling and the screaming into Skype—a notable departure from the subtlety of Lewis’s earlier performance? He knew Carrie was listening. It was an act.

Carrie Mathison is clearly in love with Brody. Brody has feelings for her, too, but he’s still capable of manipulating her (which is the same thing she’s doing to him, after all, in the name of the C.I.A.—calming him down with sex, holding his hand to reassure him.) When Nazir kidnapped Brody, during that mysterious prayer confab a few weeks back, the two came up with a plan. I’m not sure what that plan is, beyond killing the Vice-President, but it seems to involve messing with Carrie’s head—even more than she’s already been messed with.

When you think about it, my theory explains much that felt strange about “Broken Hearts.” It explains why Brody was going so over-the-top bonkers. It explains why Nazir didn’t walk away with his cell phone, to explain the pacemaker plan out of earshot of the C.I.A. operative he’d kidnapped. My theory also explains why Nazir was so willing to let Carrie go, even before Brody had given him the code: they’d scripted that element, to make it clear that Brody was motivated by love. The twist would match up perfectly with the show’s thematic fascination with behavior as performance, which goes back to Season One, when Carrie watched Brody strip and suffer on her monitors as if he were some especially juicy episode of Real World: The Patriot Act.

I’m sure you can all come up with objections to my theory—or to the episode itself—including the fact that it’s odd that no one was tapping Brody’s phone or taping his meeting with the Veep. (There must be a mole in the C.I.A., maybe Galvez, maybe Chris Brody, who will never finish that card game.) On Twitter, Myles McNutt pointed out to me that Brody and Nazir kept talking on the phone after Carrie was out of earshot, when Nazir was assuring him that Carrie was free—which may poke a major hole in my theory. I’ve talked myself into the idea that this would be something Brody would want to know, even if he were in on a plot, but it raises doubts.

Now, it would certainly be a depressing prospect to see Carrie betrayed. But it makes sense that there could be a fresh twist before the season ends. A planned kidnapping is more interesting than the notion that Brody would freak because he loves Carrie so much—in fact, that seems like something Carrie would come up with in her own private cache of fan fiction.

If my theory is true, the season ends when Carrie gets wise, then kills Brody. It would be like the great Season Two finale of “Buffy the Vampire Slayer,” when Buffy killed her evil boyfriend, Angel. (Any subtle homage to “Buffy” is O.K. with me.) A dramatic ending to the Brody/Mathison romance, but one with complexity and resonance—and with the added benefit of presenting the show with a clean slate for Season Three. Two weeks and we’ll know if I was right. Until then, you can find me here in my office at Condé Nast, stringing yarn between pushpins.

Read more: http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2012/12/a-homeland-conspiracy-theory.html#ixzz2EfvSyXrd'>http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2012/12/a-homeland-conspiracy-theory.html#ixzz2EfvSyXrd
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2012/12/a-homeland-conspiracy-theory.html

Suspending one's disbelief is being fine that Quinn and Galvez both survived the shootout in Gettysburg. That is reasonable. Hack writing is Nazir being able to hideout in the tunnels undetected by everyone until Carrie comes back to lead the third search through.

Game of Thrones is fantasy. That word shouldn't come up when discussing Homeland.Current shows that manage to operate in a world that doesn't constantly have you rolling your eyes or laughing out loud at the ridiculousness include:

Boardwalk Empire

Treme

Mad Men

Louie

Girls

Breaking Bad

Breaking Bad is the perfect counterexample. The problems and scenarios the characters face there are even crazier than in Homeland, but you very rarely find yourself feeling like something is ridiculous (with the exception of the plane thing) or a cheap way out. You can tell the writing staff takes pride in problem-solving in the realm of the possible and believable There's some suspension of disbelief ("magnets, #####!), but it almost always at least seems plausible.This is different. If you're going to give them a pass for EVERYTHING because it's not "reality" and therefore doesn't need to be believable, you can eliminate every possible conflict easily by applying the same standard. Why can't Nazir escape by joining a passing circus that the CIA lets parade through the area during the lockdown? Why can't Carrie get rid of her serious mental and emotional issues by adopting a super cute puppy? Why can't Saul find his way back into good graces of Estes by seducing him?

If your answer is "because those things are ridiculous and stupid and could never ever happen in a million years"... well, now you get the criticism.

Boardwalk Empire

Treme

Mad Men

Louie

Girls

Breaking Bad

Breaking Bad is the perfect counterexample. The problems and scenarios the characters face there are even crazier than in Homeland, but you very rarely find yourself feeling like something is ridiculous (with the exception of the plane thing) or a cheap way out. You can tell the writing staff takes pride in problem-solving in the realm of the possible and believable There's some suspension of disbelief ("magnets, #####!), but it almost always at least seems plausible.This is different. If you're going to give them a pass for EVERYTHING because it's not "reality" and therefore doesn't need to be believable, you can eliminate every possible conflict easily by applying the same standard. Why can't Nazir escape by joining a passing circus that the CIA lets parade through the area during the lockdown? Why can't Carrie get rid of her serious mental and emotional issues by adopting a super cute puppy? Why can't Saul find his way back into good graces of Estes by seducing him?

If your answer is "because those things are ridiculous and stupid and could never ever happen in a million years"... well, now you get the criticism.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Suspending one's disbelief is being fine that Quinn and Galvez both survived the shootout in Gettysburg. That is reasonable. Hack writing is Nazir being able to hideout in the tunnels undetected by everyone until Carrie comes back to lead the third search through.
<_< I was trained for this.

Users who are viewing this thread