What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How do you feel about Cutler now? (current info on pg 46) (3 Viewers)

He can't even throw for 150 yards anymore. He's beyond worthless. I own him in a Start-2 QB league and he won't see my starting lineup ever again.

He can't even throw for 150 yards anymore. He's beyond worthless. I own him in a Start-2 QB league and he won't see my starting lineup ever again.
but he won today. this thread is confusing. i thought qb was supposed to get all the credit for winning and losing.

Is it NOW okay to say Cutler stinks? I've been getting flamed for this since the trade went down. Can we safely say it now?

Is it NOW okay to say Cutler stinks? I've been getting flamed for this since the trade went down. Can we safely say it now?
Not in my opinion. I have no horse in this race and I think he's had the worst supporting cast I've seen in years. Awful O-line, joke receiving corps (even Greg Stonehands sucks), putrid running game (if you can even call it running) and a #### defense. Nobody could succeed in his situation. Now he does deserve some criticism, he's made some bad decisions (especially lately) but if they can get him a few NFL level players and a coach who has a functioning brain, I think we'd be talking about a different Jay Cutler.

Not in my opinion. I have no horse in this race and I think he's had the worst supporting cast I've seen in years. Awful O-line, joke receiving corps (even Greg Stonehands sucks), putrid running game (if you can even call it running) and a #### defense. Nobody could succeed in his situation. Now he does deserve some criticism, he's made some bad decisions (especially lately) but if they can get him a few NFL level players and a coach who has a functioning brain, I think we'd be talking about a different Jay Cutler.
:wall: after you go on to find every excuse you can.

My main league plays a week 17 championship game, and if I end up there I'm worried about what San Diego will do with Rivers now that their #2 seed is locked up. Might need to rely on Cutler. Even though the DET matchup is great, the thought of using him in the championship might keep me up at night.

He's playing like an elite QB tonight :goodposting:

Then again his line is blocking and his receivers are where they're supposed to be...

Tonight showed why some of us are so high on Jay Cutler. When he is on, he is a great QB. He just needs to start being consistent, darn it.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do I feel about Cutler right now? At this moment? He's pretty good.

Chicago should try and get Cutler some OL help. He could turn this ship around next year.

He actually put some air under that ball for the winning TD. If he starts doing that more often then he can be dangerous.

Cutler is two completions short of breaking the all time Bears single season record for completions. With two 22 year old receivers, a converted kick returner, Aromashodu, and that offensive line, it's hard to believe.

Hopefully he'll get those two completions next week against the Lions.

Tonight Cutler moved into second place on the Bears all-time Single Season list for passing yards.

Cutler just completed his 52nd straight start.

Among active players his age or younger, he has thrown for over 3800 more passing yards and 19 more touchdowns than the next closest QB.

He's going to be fine.

Cutler is two completions short of breaking the all time Bears single season record for completions. With two 22 year old receivers, a converted kick returner, Aromashodu, and that offensive line, it's hard to believe.Hopefully he'll get those two completions next week against the Lions.Tonight Cutler moved into second place on the Bears all-time Single Season list for passing yards. Cutler just completed his 52nd straight start.Among active players his age or younger, he has thrown for over 3800 more passing yards and 19 more touchdowns than the next closest QB.He's going to be fine.
How far is he from breaking the Bears interception record? And this completions thing isn't saying a lot considering Chicago's history of great QBs. People are hilarious. One good game and people are chirping. He's been terrible this year.

People are hilarious. One good game and people are chirping. He's been terrible this year.
Yes, he has played very poorly at times this season, but he played great tonight. And as much as the critics pile on when he plays poorly, I don't expect any of them to fess up and give him kudos for the terrific game he played tonight. Most people don't have the balls to do that.

How far is he from breaking the Bears interception record? And this completions thing isn't saying a lot considering Chicago's history of great QBs. People are hilarious. One good game and people are chirping. He's been terrible this year.
Cutler holds the Broncos single season marks for passing yards and completions. Are those records worth having? They had this one guy that played quarterback for a while. What was his name? Setting the Bears all-time single-season record for completions may not be as impressive as winning 3rd place in the 2006 Uncle Wally's Big Buns Keeper League with a team called "Butter Cheeks," but I bet his parents might mention the record in the Christmas card letter just the same.

Brutal- the guy had 1 great game all year long (2 if you want to count the NYG pre-season game). Perhaps this is a sign of things to come in the future but this guy was just horrid all year long

I am still a believer - and you saw why on MNF.
I was never a believer - but he showed glimpses of why he still has great potential on MNF.I still saw signs of immaturity - but I think he is getting better. He has the physical skills - if the mental skills catch-up, he can be a very good NFL QB. Maybe last night is the confidence boost he needs to turn the corner.

I am still a believer - and you saw why on MNF.
I was never a believer - but he showed glimpses of why he still has great potential on MNF.I still saw signs of immaturity - but I think he is getting better. He has the physical skills - if the mental skills catch-up, he can be a very good NFL QB. Maybe last night is the confidence boost he needs to turn the corner.
Yeah, he's never had a big game before, so maybe one big game will solve everything. :angry:As a Green Bay fan, the only thing that makes me happier than seeing Culter in the Chicago starting lineup is seeing Lovie Smith continue to roam the sidelines.

Brutal- the guy had 1 great game all year long (2 if you want to count the NYG pre-season game). Perhaps this is a sign of things to come in the future but this guy was just horrid all year long
He threw 369 yards 3td/1int against Arizona, that's pretty good. 236 and 2 against the Steelers, 247 3td/1int against Seattle. Cutler has had some good games in a Bears uniform, and some god awful ones. I don't know a lot of QBs that would have success such a nonexistant running game, lousy pass protection, and unreliable receivers. That being said, he does look really bad at times, and he has a tendency to lock onto a target and feed the ball no matter who the hell is around him. His arm is so strong he's obviously in the habit of thinking he can get away with threading the needle, but at this level you can't do that too often. I still think this is a guy who's career could go either way. I still think its criminal how inexperienced his WRs are- the Bears better go out and get somebody, hell anybody that has more than a year of experience at the position. One guy that knows how to run an NFL pattern properly and this season would have looked a bit different.

People are hilarious. One good game and people are chirping. He's been terrible this year.
Yes, he has played very poorly at times this season, but he played great tonight. And as much as the critics pile on when he plays poorly, I don't expect any of them to fess up and give him kudos for the terrific game he played tonight. Most people don't have the balls to do that.
He looked good in the first half before I turned the game off, as it seemed like the Vikings never got off the bus. I don't know if he looked better in the second half, bu he looked good i the first, not great, but good.

I think the main thing last night proved was that Aromashadu is their # 1 receiver and will be next season. Reminds me of how Ryan Grant was buried on the Giants behind a bunch of RBs and just needed a chance. Aromashadu had been on the Colts practice squad and didn't figure to get much attention as long as Harrison, Wayne, Gonzalez and Garcon were around.

Wow give the guy some protection and actually gameplan to his strengths, i.e. moving the pocket and having him throw on the run, and he turns in a great game...who knew?

He looked good in the first half before I turned the game off, as it seemed like the Vikings never got off the bus. I don't know if he looked better in the second half, bu he looked good i the first, not great, but good.
You turned the game off? You missed a great second half.

Cutler holds the Broncos single season marks for passing yards and completions. Are those records worth having?
Cutler himself answered your question.
Is that a link to him flipping someone off last night?Anyway, last night was vintage Jay Cutler. Problem is, so was the rest of the season. Until he consistently puts these games together, he will continue to be up and down. Problem is you don't know what you are going to get from him. You get a great game from him one week against a good team and then he inexplicably tanks against inferior competition. If he can string together a few games like this he and the Bears will be in good shape. Assuming Cutler can get it together, Bear and Bronco fans should still be happy because as much as the trade is touted as an Orton for Cutler swap, Denver also received a few draft picks which should help in the coming years.

Cutler holds the Broncos single season marks for passing yards and completions. Are those records worth having?
Cutler himself answered your question.
Is that a link to him flipping someone off last night?Anyway, last night was vintage Jay Cutler. Problem is, so was the rest of the season. Until he consistently puts these games together, he will continue to be up and down. Problem is you don't know what you are going to get from him. You get a great game from him one week against a good team and then he inexplicably tanks against inferior competition. If he can string together a few games like this he and the Bears will be in good shape. Assuming Cutler can get it together, Bear and Bronco fans should still be happy because as much as the trade is touted as an Orton for Cutler swap, Denver also received a few draft picks which should help in the coming years.
Man, the rest of the season I did not see Cutler get this kind of protection, that he had last night? Especially against Jared Allen, and the rest of that D. Hopefully it's indicative of things to come for Cutty. Good game plan last night, with short quick throws early on, and then hitting some deep crossing routes, fades, etc...

Cutler holds the Broncos single season marks for passing yards and completions. Are those records worth having? They had this one guy that played quarterback for a while. What was his name? Setting the Bears all-time single-season record for completions may not be as impressive as winning 3rd place in the 2006 Uncle Wally's Big Buns Keeper League with a team called "Butter Cheeks," but I bet his parents might mention the record in the Christmas card letter just the same.
Jealous much?

Cutler has one of the bigger home/road dichotemies:

2009:

home 15 TD 6 int QB rating 88.6

road: 8 TD 20 int QB rating 56.9

2007:

home: 14 TD 6 int QB rating 102.5

road: 6 TD 8 int QB rating 72.9

In 2008 he was pretty much even in his home/road performance.

The Bears have been unbelievably bad on short routes. Part of that is Cutler's fault - he is just staring down at his first option and not going through progressions. Part of it is the receivers. They stop routes constantly. Big problem is the scheme/play calling. They need to throw more on first down. The need to throw downfield and take advantage of Cutler's strength. They need to be more unpredictable. They have more 2nd and 10 situations than anybody I've seen. Forte up the middle for no gain. Cutler needs to limit mistakes - that's on him. But the organization needs to step up.

You turned the game off? You missed a great second half.
Yeah, looked at NFL.com this morning and was kicking myself. Ended up much closer than it looked like it would be in the first half.

The Bears have been unbelievably bad on short routes. Part of that is Cutler's fault - he is just staring down at his first option and not going through progressions. Part of it is the receivers. They stop routes constantly. Big problem is the scheme/play calling. They need to throw more on first down. The need to throw downfield and take advantage of Cutler's strength. They need to be more unpredictable. They have more 2nd and 10 situations than anybody I've seen. Forte up the middle for no gain. Cutler needs to limit mistakes - that's on him. But the organization needs to step up.
I agree on the play calling. Ron Turner is as good as done as O-C.

I agree on the play calling. Ron Turner is as good as done as O-C.
I liked Turner before this season- really thought he was making decent chicken salad out of chicken crap. But I really don't understand his system this year. Considering the total lack of running success (and its abandonment, which when you are down by 21 is one thing, but that wasn't always the case) and inability to protect the pocket, you would think moving the pocket around and getting the ball to the RBs would be a no-brainer. Apparently not. If you would have told me Forte would be only the 5th most targeted player on the Bears this year I would have scoffed. Where is the screen pass? Getting Forte into space with the ball should have been a huge priority, but they never tried very hard. Instead they forced the ball to Olson to a fault, even when he was being totally mobbed. Here's the targeting breakdown by position:

TEs:145

WRs: 292

RB: 82

That's criminal. Forte personally should have seen 100 targets if they were going to abandon the run. You look at systems with the run/pass ratio the Bears were trying to pull off and they get the ball to their RBs constantly.

Users who are viewing this thread