What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How do you feel about Cutler now? (current info on pg 46) (1 Viewer)

Worst game ever by a QB throwing for more than 300 yards?
There have only been 5 games in NFL history where a QB threw for 300+ yards, 0 TDs, and 5+ INTs. Cutler's 33.6 passer rating was the lowest of the five.

Last edited by a moderator:
I won't pile on Cutler, but I do have a question for Bears fans.How bad did it sting watching Singletary on the opposing sideline in that loss?The Bears could certainly use a good coach. I'm sure there's not a more beloved, living former Bear than Singletary. Someone who knows better than anyone how to play Chicago Bears football.Last night seemed like a rough night all-around. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.Actually, I have another question: Would you trade Culter/Lovie for Singletary/Alex Smith straight up?
To answer your first question:It did not sting at all as I am happy for Mike but that team is as bad as the Bears. Two organizations that were very solid in the 80s. Obviously the 49'ers were much better in the 80's that the Bears.The second question would be a no. I would take the Singletary/Cutler combo but that would still yield the same results. It is the personnel in and around these people that will make a difference- GM, OL, RBs, WRs TEs etc...

I won't pile on Cutler, but I do have a question for Bears fans.How bad did it sting watching Singletary on the opposing sideline in that loss?
A lot. I wanted him years ago when they gave Lovie the job.
ETA - To further expand upon this, the Bears right now are playing some of the stupidest football I have ever seen in my life. Stupid penalty after stupid penalty. They HAVE to get a coach that won't stand for that, and change the culture. Singletary berated the entire offensive line for their inability to pick up a 4th and 1. Lovie just stands there when you get a 15 yard "I'm gonna dive over the pile" penalty in the 2 minute offense. Inexcusable.

Sweetness_34 said:
The Comedian said:
Sweetness_34 said:
Gopher State said:
Thank you Bears for signing Cutler

signed Minnesota Vikings
And what will the Vikings do after they do not win the SB again this year and do not have a QB again next year? 3 of the 5 ints today were not Cutler's fault. The issues with the Bears are with the OL and the secondary. Losing Urlacher has obviously hurt the D too. Much easier to fix those issues than find a QB in this league. You should know; your Vikings had every part of the team covered except QB and they could not get anywhere without that position filled. The Saints will easily beat the Vikings this year if it gets to that....then what will your team do next year? Back to Tavaris Jackson?
:bitter:
Not really. The acquisition of Cutler by the Bears was not just for this year. It was for the next decade Give him a decent OL and then you will see what happens. I expected this to be a year for the O to sync up with Cutler anyways. I am pleased that Hester, Knox and Bennett have all progressed this year. So hopefully if the Bears fix the OL some this off season, then with Urlacher back next year, I expect a playoff year. With Orton the Bears would be winless right now probably ....
If Cutler's reported attraction to the bottle is true, I think a decade is over estimating Cutler's expected career duration. If the allegations of his drinking habits are true, I give him 5 more years in the league tops. Alcohol and diabetes don't mix very well.

Here are my thoughts:

- Cutler just doesn't have the 'it' factor

- He seems to just go out there and wing it and rely on his strong arm to make plays - rarely works in the NFL long term - see George, Jeff

- He's the anti-Peyton in that he doesn't watch film of his opponent, doesn't study, doesn't take a leadership role on the field - you don't see him barking out

audibles and pointing at defensive assignments, etc.

- He throws 5 interceptions and acts like it didn't phase him - very immature

- Ron Turner is a terrible offensive coordinator. His play calls have been very questionable the last few years and this year is no different.

It's really amazing that he has lasted this long in an arguably football hungry town.

- Cutler's style of play just doesn't bode well with Turner's conservative gameplans.

I don't see Cutler being successful long term in this league until he matures and understands what his role is as a QB.

Look what happened when Warner had to pass 50 times, 5 picks. Bears need a better WR as well, Hester is a good 2, maybe great 3. Not a Cutler fan, but he needs more weapons IMO. I know some will argue Knox but I would say see Harvin, Nicks, and Maclin.

Good Luck this weekend to all of you!

Here are my thoughts:

- He seems to just go out there and wing it and rely on his strong arm to make plays - rarely works in the NFL long term - see George, Jeff

- He's the anti-Peyton in that he doesn't watch film of his opponent, doesn't study, doesn't take a leadership role on the field - you don't see him barking out

- Ron Turner is a terrible offensive coordinator. His play calls have been very questionable the last few years and this year is no different.

It's really amazing that he has lasted this long in an arguably football hungry town.

- Cutler's style of play just doesn't bode well with Turner's conservative gameplans.

I don't see Cutler being successful long term in this league until he matures and understands what his role is as a QB.
I never knew he didn't watch film but I'm not suprised by it, but he thinks he can get by on athletic abilities alone, not at this level. :lmao:

I can't see either team taking too much that was positive out of that game. That was one of the ugliest games I've ever watched.

I can't see either team taking too much that was positive out of that game. That was one of the ugliest games I've ever watched.
Agreed...Seemed like both teams were trying to give the game away and neither wanted any part of a W.As an aside, the Bears/Philly game was not flexed out of prime time for some reason. So, Cutler gets a chance to redeem himself in another primetime game.

Here are my thoughts:

Do you have a link to him not watching film or studying? I saw multiple times where he was pointing out defensive assignments yesterday. They may not have been right, but he was doing it. I don't think you have any hard evidence to know whether he watches film or studies unless you are a friend of Cutler's or work for the Bears...

Here are my thoughts:- Cutler just doesn't have the 'it' factor- He seems to just go out there and wing it and rely on his strong arm to make plays - rarely works in the NFL long term - see George, Jeff- He's the anti-Peyton in that he doesn't watch film of his opponent, doesn't study, doesn't take a leadership role on the field - you don't see him barking outaudibles and pointing at defensive assignments, etc.- He throws 5 interceptions and acts like it didn't phase him - very immature- Ron Turner is a terrible offensive coordinator. His play calls have been very questionable the last few years and this year is no different.It's really amazing that he has lasted this long in an arguably football hungry town.- Cutler's style of play just doesn't bode well with Turner's conservative gameplans.I don't see Cutler being successful long term in this league until he matures and understands what his role is as a QB.
Do you have a link to where it's been reported that Cutler doesn't watch film/otherwise prepare? While obviously he didn't look very prepared last night, simply saying that "he isn't Peyton Manning" shouldn't be such an indictment. I'd venture a guess that very few NFL QB's are as meticulous as Peyton and plenty of NFL QB's seem to be doing all right for themselves.

As an aside, the Bears/Philly game was not flexed out of prime time for some reason. So, Cutler gets a chance to redeem himself in another primetime game.
YET.........
I think there is a deadline and it has already passed. I can hardly wait to see the Bears get smoked on a national stage. The only Bears game I look forward to the rest of this year is the Lions game, and I think Chicago only has about a 40% chance of winning that one.

Here are my thoughts:

Do you have a link to him not watching film or studying? I saw multiple times where he was pointing out defensive assignments yesterday. They may not have been right, but he was doing it. I don't think you have any hard evidence to know whether he watches film or studies unless you are a friend of Cutler's or work for the Bears...
If you read his lips he was saying "eenie meenie minie moe, which of you will pick this throw?". Thought I'd crush that softball before Moleculo could.

Here are my thoughts:

If you read his lips he was saying "eenie meenie minie moe, which of you will pick this throw?". Thought I'd crush that softball before Moleculo could.
Did you read the sentence I typed right after that one?

Here are my thoughts:

:shrug: I'm not much of a rhymer...I don't know where the "doesn't prepare" but comes from...that's not a claim that I would make, nor a knock that I've heard levied against him. For all of my cutler criticisms, not being prepared is not one of them. In fact, I'd argue that any QB who starts multiple games for Shanahan has got to be intelligent and prepared.

Here are my thoughts:

:goodposting: ;)

Link

Cutler fined $20,000 for "abusive conduct"

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on November 13, 2009 1:29 PM ET

Jay Cutler has doled out a lot of abuse of late.

He punished Bears fans and fantasy owners with five interceptions Thursday night, not to mention viewers tuning in to Thursday Night Football looking for a quality game.

Now he's been fined $20,000 for "abusive conduct" toward a game official in Chicago's loss to the Cardinals five days ago, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Cutler was flagged during the game for an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty when he complained to referee Ed Hochuli about a non-call on a fourth-and-4 in the third quarter in which Cutler thought Greg Olsen was held.

See, Mike: Cutler does care!

(Amazingly, Bears defensive tackle Tommie Harris was fined only $7,500 for punching Cardinals guard Deuce Lutui in the same game.)

- He's the anti-Peyton in that he doesn't watch film of his opponent, doesn't study
Sorry. Not buying that. If you want to criticize Cutler, he deserves it after last night, but don't make things like that up.
Link

He punished Bears fans and fantasy owners with five interceptions Thursday night, not to mention viewers tuning in to Thursday Night Football looking for a quality game.

Now he's been fined $20,000 for "abusive conduct" toward a game official in Chicago's loss to the Cardinals five days ago, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Cutler was flagged during the game for an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty when he complained to referee Ed Hochuli about a non-call on a fourth-and-4 in the third quarter in which Cutler thought Greg Olsen was held.

(Amazingly, Bears defensive tackle Tommie Harris was fined only $7,500 for punching Cardinals guard Deuce Lutui in the same game.)
Is that true? If so, that is very lame by the NFL. Harris should have gotten a heavy fine for that, not a slap on the wrist (which 7.5K is, when compared to other fines).

Link

Ridiculous

At Boiled Bacon, I touched on the fact that Cutler never really did anything to garnish this much hype. By "typical" standards, including turnovers and team W-L, Cutler has been a bust.

Not to hijack, but how does Harris get 7.5k for punching a player while 85 gets $20k for being funny?

something wrong there.

just wondering: just how stupid is cutler? what his wonderlic? does anyone have this?
it takes a certain amount of intelligence to be a QB in Shanahans system. Bubby Brister was benched in favor of a rookie Brian Griese because of this.cutler is a smart QB. He's not tossing picks because he can't read a defense; he makes bad throws because he is cocky; he trusts his ability to deliver despite sometimes poor mechanics. He isn't getting tricked; he just tries to force it too often.

just wondering: just how stupid is cutler? what his wonderlic? does anyone have this?
it takes a certain amount of intelligence to be a QB in Shanahans system. Bubby Brister was benched in favor of a rookie Brian Griese because of this.cutler is a smart QB. He's not tossing picks because he can't read a defense; he makes bad throws because he is cocky; he trusts his ability to deliver despite sometimes poor mechanics. He isn't getting tricked; he just tries to force it too often.
never meant to imply i thought he was stupid, just that's the sense i got from others in this thread.here are some 'unofficial' scores for QBs in cutler's class:Travis Lulay, 37Matt Leinart, 35Charlie Whitehurst, 33Josh Betts, 33Jay Cutler, 26Kellen Clemens, 26Brodie Croyle, 24Bruce Eugene, 21DJ Shockley, 19Reggie McNeal, 19Bruce Gradkowski, 19Tarvaris Jackson, 19Erik Meyer, 18Vince Young, 16

If Cutler's that bad and it's all his fault, maybe the Bears shouldn't have him throw 52 times in the game. It was the third most attempts in Bears history. I don't let my quarterback throw that many times. I would limit his chances. Alex Smith only threw 23 times last night. In the last four Bears losses, Jay has averaged 45 passing attempts per game. That's way too high.

Everybody in coverage every time. Talk about taking the presnap mystery out of the playcalling.

I hope against the Eagles they let him throw every play. Just don't even bother running at all. Make him throw until the poor kid's arm falls off. See how many picks you get then. 69 is the NFL attempts record in an NFL non-overtime game. 60, I think, is the Bears record. I think the Bears could work their way there.

At the current rate, the Bears single season franchise record for passing attempts will fall during the Bears 14th game this year. Just last year, Jay set the Broncos single season franchise record for passing attempts. Jay is also on pace to break the Bears single season record for passing yards. Just last year, Jay demolished the Broncos single season franchise record for passing yards. At the current rate, the Bears single season franchise record for completions will fall during the 14th game. Just last year, Jay set the Broncos single season franchise record for completions.

While I am rooting for the young man to eclipse all these records, and I think it will be really something for a 26 year old to hold these records from two proud franchises, somebody has to ask, is there somebody keeping a pitch count?

bcr8f said:
p00h said:
BuckeyeArt said:
I'm wondering which ones weren't his fault. The one to Hester was thrown directly to the defender. Had Hester not fallen down, it might have still been an interception. At the very least, it would have been a 50/50 ball. Josh Morgan fell down on a route later in the game and it was nowhere near an interception. You still have to throw the ball where only your receiver has a chance to catch it.
Cutler 'the gambler' is quite comfortable with 50/50 balls. He's a gun slinger, A MAVERICK!
Brett Favre is a future hall of famer and has thrown 6 picks in the playoffs.
Brett Favre never threw 5 interceptions against a team with a losing record.
I would think he did at some point. no knowledge, just a hunch.EDIT TO ADD. nope. but close.
6 in a post season game against STL in 2001, 5 in a regular season game in 2005 against CIN.
per wiki

p00h said:
Widbil83 said:
certificate said:
Mr. Retukes said:
3 OF 5 WERE NOT HIS FAULT!!!
Maybe, but that last one was one of the worst balls ever thrown.
What was he supposed to do? Olsen got zero seperation and he was about to get crushed. Hard to thread it through 4 defenders. ;)
LOL. What was he supposed to do?!? Throw it away and live for another play...Thats just the type of attitude that will keep him sucking for as long as he plays in this league...
There was 7 or 8 seconds left in the game, throw it away??

It was good to see Jeff George again. :goodposting:
He is Jeff George again. I've been saying that since last season. At the time he was traded I came on this board and pointed out the fact he's never made a team he's played on better. Most people dismissed this by saying he played with inferior talent at Vanderbilt and a poor defense with the Bronco's. Now what's the excuse du jour? I'll give him one thing however. As long as you are not a Bears fan he's fun to watch. He throws an outstanding looking ball and I must admit watching a cocky rifle armed gunslinger QB is a lot more entertaining than watching a game manager like Orton.

Here are my thoughts:- Cutler just doesn't have the 'it' factor- He seems to just go out there and wing it and rely on his strong arm to make plays - rarely works in the NFL long term - see George, Jeff- He's the anti-Peyton in that he doesn't watch film of his opponent, doesn't study, doesn't take a leadership role on the field - you don't see him barking outaudibles and pointing at defensive assignments, etc.- He throws 5 interceptions and acts like it didn't phase him - very immature- Ron Turner is a terrible offensive coordinator. His play calls have been very questionable the last few years and this year is no different.It's really amazing that he has lasted this long in an arguably football hungry town.- Cutler's style of play just doesn't bode well with Turner's conservative gameplans.I don't see Cutler being successful long term in this league until he matures and understands what his role is as a QB.
wow the "it" factor. :goodposting:funny how people only have this when winning.

never meant to imply i thought he was stupid, just that's the sense i got from others in this thread.here are some 'unofficial' scores for QBs in cutler's class:Travis Lulay, 37Matt Leinart, 35Charlie Whitehurst, 33Josh Betts, 33Jay Cutler, 26Kellen Clemens, 26Brodie Croyle, 24Bruce Eugene, 21DJ Shockley, 19Reggie McNeal, 19Bruce Gradkowski, 19Tarvaris Jackson, 19Erik Meyer, 18Vince Young, 16
maybe the bears should hire Travis Lulay as his valet/driver, to teach him a thing or two about how nice is is to be an nfl starting qb.

wow the "it" factor. :nerd:funny how people only have this when winning.
:thumbup:

Excited to see him not just self destruct on national tv again, but be extremely ambivalent about it as well!

Playing against him in one league where his game play tonight decides whether or not I clinch playoffs this week... I though for sure that meant he'd have a career record night....

No secret I ride the Anti- Cutler fan bandwagon, but at this point sympathy is starting to kick in...

Absolutely horrible tonight....many of this throws are not even near a reciever :lmao: And to think I benched Palmer for him :pickle:
relatively speaking, he's having a decent day! 0 picks, not too shabby. more than half his passes have not had a single Chi receiver within 5 yards of the landing spot, but again, at least he doesn't have any picks. It's a step in the right direction, though philly can easily have at least 3 picks directly attributed to 'jay being jay' Tired of hearing about the lack of talent around him too. 2 wide open spots with olsen and hester in the 1st half, overthrows both of them. And he's still sporting that 'I'm doing just fine, whatchu talkin bout willus?!?' look on his face...

This offense needs to be completely reworked in the offseason.

Cutler is not a God... they have to get back to BEAR FOOTBALL. Pound the rock and scrap all the shotgun BS.

Cutler has really regressed this season. I know some will laugh and say, "I told you so," like he was always this bad, but he was better than this is Denver. Chicago's unimaginative offense and having not much help have brought out the worst in Cutler. Like RN said, the offense needs an offseason overhaul.

maybe the bears should trade him for gradkowski.

what's he got now --- 15 td and 18 int?

but if you subtract out the int's that aren't his fault, you get a pretty amazing 15/0 ratio.

I've been beating up on him ever since that trade, but I'll have to admit the rocket arm was really on display tonight.

:thumbup:

@min

stl

gb

@bal

min

@det

The two floaters to the corner of the end zone were inexcusable. There were no defenders within 5 feet of either player.

BTW, Cutler is on pace for 4038 passing yards. Has there ever been a worse 4000-yard passer in NFL history??

Users who are viewing this thread