What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How easy is Mount Everest? (1 Viewer)

Definitely not easy. But IIRC the Barkley marathon has a lower success rate of those who actually start.
There are certainly more difficult athletic accomplishments, but an obscure ultramarathon probably isn’t the most apt comparison.

No FBG would finish any of them.
I’d absolutely bet on a couple FBGs finishing one.
At one point, climbing Everest was obscure. Then it wasn’t.
I guess I don't know running FBGs well enough, but I'll take the under on the Barkley.

It's likely some of us could summit Everest. That said, The average FBG is a sedentary, middle aged, high BMI (from muscle!?!) gambling degenerate, who'd struggle to get to the still obscure high point of Florida.
Dude. Not cool. I’m right here.
Don’t worry, you’re not average.

🤔

Let's say you can do a 3:30 marathon and have done a few HIM. What are the gaps in training to get to the top here?
One's sexual preference won't change the odds of summiting Everest.

Seriously though, I have no idea what a HIM is. Regardless, things one needs, in addition to money, time, and running long distances quickly include:

1. Ability to tolerate high altitude - as I said upthread, fitness doesn't automatically protect one from acute mountain sickness, nor other high elevation illnesses.
2. Physical strength, to lug a bunch of gear to the high mountain. Sherpas don't carry everything.
3. Mental toughness, to endure many bitter cold, miserable days-weeks.
4. Not being scared of heights, or precarious positions.
5. Mountaineering skills, including glacial traverse, self arrest, +/- rudimentary ice climbing.

And you need to be a little lucky, such that you don't get a cold or musculoskeletal injury, and the weather cooperates long enough for you to have a chance to summit.

Well, I have a Kilimanjaro climb scheduled for the end of October. 8 days to the summit. It ain’t Everest but it’s a start!

I’m going to start a thread about my training and the climb. After I get the t-shirt exchange going…

I climbed Mt. Shasta(14,179 feet) in my 30's. I came face to face with my mortality and failed to summit. I made it to Helen Lake(10,400 feet) and went no further.

99.9% of FBG'ers wouldn't stand a chance summiting Mt. Everest(29,031 feet)

Folks, it is not just a physical challenge. It is also an emotional and spiritual challenge.

Well, I have a Kilimanjaro climb scheduled for the end of October. 8 days to the summit. It ain’t Everest but it’s a start!

I’m going to start a thread about my training and the climb. After I get the t-shirt exchange going…

That is so cool! Yes, please keep us posted on progress.

I probably couldn't do it starting at, like, sea level... but helicopter me up to near the peak and I could probably drop down and do the last 20 feet or so on my own. Probably someone already working on this service.

Everest is so easy it changed its name to Eazy-E but got sued for trademark infringement.

It was cold kicking ***
It was cruisin' L.A.

BIL and a buddy made it to Base Camp 1 at Everest (6,065 m (19,900 ft) when he was 65 years old. He was a bad ***.

He told me it was the most unforgettable and life changing experience he ever had. The pictures he took were awe inspiring. So cool.

Randomly took an airport shuttle yesterday out of Gunnison with the fourth blind man to do it.

Guy was on his way to crested butte to help wounded warriors learn mountaineering.

Users who are viewing this thread