What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How much do you think coaches matter in the NFL? (1 Viewer)

Coaching is under-appreciated IMO. Look at the AFC West as an example... on paper, pre-season, THEY ARE ALL making the play-offs. Then the bullets start flying and, "Oh yeah... Chiefs are the only one with a solid, proven HC"

Detroit is another example... I give Dan Campbell all the credit in the world as a motivator and helping to change the culture there... and now he has to go (or stay on in a lesser role). He is terrible at managing the clock and situational football. Again, full credit for turning that ship around, but I believe that Detroit needs a seasoned, proven HC to take that next step. And they're far from being the only team in this situation.
It's hard to judge Campbell for his results when he has Jared Goff at QB. Ben Johnson isn't a very good OC and doesn't have much of a track record for success either. His years in Miami, in a limited capacity, didn't exactly scream hire me. The Lions as a whole don't seem to have a lot going at their skills positions and I think that is more the problem than Dan Campbell. I think with decent drafting they are in a very winnable division and will probably find that Ben Johnson just isn't a very good offensive coordinator. His years in Miami under Philbin and Adam Gase, Miami was in the bottom 5% of the league on offense.
Adam Gase was awful in Chicago.

i think Ben Johnson has done a very good job in Detroit. they have a very solid running game with little from Swift. They have a pretty respectable passing game with their top pick out for the year.
Adam Gase was awful everywhere he went, not just Chicago.😉

👀

Huge, by far more impactful then any other sport. I'd still put it behind importance of a top flight QB but it's huge.

Will be curious to see what Saints are able to get for Sean Payton this off-season. With coaching salaries not part of the cap I feel strongly getting a head coach like a Sean Payton is easily worth at least a first.

NFL Rumors
@nflrums

The San Francisco 49ers have outscored their opponents 57-0 in the second half during their last four games. The Niners DC DeMeco Ryans has done a great job on 2nd half adjustments.

NFL Rumors
@nflrums

The San Francisco 49ers have outscored their opponents 57-0 in the second half during their last four games. The Niners DC DeMeco Ryans has done a great job on 2nd half adjustments.
Quite conveniently the game before this run they gave up 44 to the chiefs. They’ve also played absolute trash teams last four weeks so…idk how to feel about this stat. Maybe chargers aren’t trash but they sure are overrated. Speaking of coaches who will be getting canned

Kyle Shanahan's system is how he gets NFL HC jobs, its successful but the Niners traded 3 first-round draft picks to move-up and draft a QB who 'may not' have fit his system.
Niners QB hasn't developed and that 'could' be a coaching issue.
----------------------------------------
Pete Smith@_PeteSmith_
Kyle Shanahan taking a promising QB and running him into the ground is about as on brand as it gets.
Dir of 1f3c8.png Strategy #Browns

@FoodBevConcepts Replying to @_PeteSmith_
Just look at 49ers, they traded 3- 1’s to take Lance and have no idea if he can truly be the guy. No thanks.

We learned on page 1 of this thread Ben Johnson (Lions) just isn't a very good Offensive Coordinator.

The Lions have topped 30 points for the 6th time this season, tied with the 1952 Lions for the 2nd-most 30-point games Detroit has had in a season. The record belongs to the 2011 Lions (7).

Detroit has also scored 25+ points in 4-straight games for the first time since 2012.

Imagine how good that offense could be if they had a decent OC.

/s

8 drives today, 8 scores

Coaching all by itself, it matters.

But I think some of what gets blamed on bad coaching is bad culture. Meaning I think many of these teams aren't well run, top to bottom, and external factors can affect on field performance, and get blamed on coaching.

NFL Rumors
@nflrums

Quite conveniently the game before this run they gave up 44 to the chiefs. They’ve also played absolute trash teams last four weeks so…idk how to feel about this stat. Maybe chargers aren’t trash but they sure are overrated. Speaking of coaches who will be getting canned
They haven't played anybody other than trash teams?
Is the high-flying Miami offense trash?
-----------------------------------------------
Richard Sherman@RSherman_25

Tua has not played a Defense like this all season! If you wondered whether the
@49ers Defense was for real well…. You tell me
LINK to video

We learned on page 1 of this thread Ben Johnson (Lions) just isn't a very good Offensive Coordinator.

The Lions have topped 30 points for the 6th time this season, tied with the 1952 Lions for the 2nd-most 30-point games Detroit has had in a season. The record belongs to the 2011 Lions (7).

Detroit has also scored 25+ points in 4-straight games for the first time since 2012.

/s

8 drives today, 8 scores

I’m amazed someone said that. This is his first OC role, he’s young and our O has been excellent for most of the year. Better run game than we’ve had for as long as I can remember ( admittedly this can be also attributed to player investment/drafting by the GM ), move the ball down the field a lot, WRs constantly schemed open, and big difference this year, we get players schemed open in the red zone a lot more and in 2 point conversion attempts. We just look way smarter with play designs in the red zone than I’ve ever seen I think.

/s

8 drives today, 8 scores

I’m amazed someone said that. This is his first OC role, he’s young and our O has been excellent for most of the year. Better run game than we’ve had for as long as I can remember ( admittedly this can be also attributed to player investment/drafting by the GM ), move the ball down the field a lot, WRs constantly schemed open, and big difference this year, we get players schemed open in the red zone a lot more and in 2 point conversion attempts. We just look way smarter with play designs in the red zone than I’ve ever seen I think.

I hope they're able to retain Ben Johnson but he'll be a very hot HC candidate in the coming offseason. He has Carolina roots but for his sake I hope he gets a better situation (say....LAC?). Selfishly I want him continue to be part of the build, but from a professional viewpoint you want to see the young guys move up.

A good coordinator doesn't automatically mean good HC, as we've seen over and over again. But how many times are you going to get a shot at HC gig? Gotta strike while the iron is hot.

/s

8 drives today, 8 scores

I hope they're able to retain Ben Johnson but he'll be a very hot HC candidate in the coming offseason. He has Carolina roots but for his sake I hope he gets a better situation (say....LAC?). Selfishly I want him continue to be part of the build, but from a professional viewpoint you want to see the young guys move up.

A good coordinator doesn't automatically mean good HC, as we've seen over and over again. But how many times are you going to get a shot at HC gig? Gotta strike while the iron is hot.

I’m hoping maybe that one season isn’t quite enough credit in the bank to get a HC job and we get him back for another year. Tbh it IS an advantage of having a HC with roots in being an OC, that the HC/OC - scheme - QB triax can remain more consistent from year to year even with OC changes. Thinking Shanahan/Payton/McVey type idea.

On the flip side I DO like the HC not just being a glorified coordinator and having strengths that relate to specific HC duties. Campbell has some of that but needs to keep improving in a few aspects.

Caldwell is an example of that but he had a litany of poor OC’s and personnel on the Oline due to bad GMing

NFL Rumors
@nflrums

They haven't played anybody other than trash teams?
Is the high-flying Miami offense trash?
-----------------------------------------------
Richard Sherman@RSherman_25

Tua has not played a Defense like this all season! If you wondered whether the
@49ers Defense was for real well…. You tell me
LINK to video
Dov Kleiman @NFL_DovKleiman

#49ers defense this season:
11 TD passes allowed.
14 INTs picked off.

/s

8 drives today, 8 scores

I’m hoping maybe that one season isn’t quite enough credit in the bank to get a HC job and we get him back for another year. Tbh it IS an advantage of having a HC with roots in being an OC, that the HC/OC - scheme - QB triax can remain more consistent from year to year even with OC changes. Thinking Shanahan/Payton/McVey type idea.

On the flip side I DO like the HC not just being a glorified coordinator and having strengths that relate to specific HC duties. Campbell has some of that but needs to keep improving in a few aspects.

Caldwell is an example of that but he had a litany of poor OC’s and personnel on the Oline due to bad GMing
Campbell has quickly become my second favorite coach. the future is bright in the motor city.

/s

8 drives today, 8 scores

Campbell has quickly become my second favorite coach. the future is bright in the motor city.

Detroit has also scored 25+ points in 5-straight games for the first time since 1954.

I'll say this - part of being the leader of the pack is you take all the heat. All the decisions were yours, ultimately. If someone else screwed up or the process was flawed, it's still your team. Part of your job is protect the folks who work for you and take pressure off your players by being accountable. Buck stops here.

Look at the converse and what is happening in Detroit rn. I'd like the media to slow their roll, it's still a team with a losing record and 16% 21% chance of making the playoffs. But they're holding up MCDC this morning like he's the messiah of the Lions. Local radio is so freaking giddy about turning him around a 1-6 team.

He is the HMIC so good for Dan, he's a hard working guy and deserves some kudos. All good. But look around. It's not just him. He has maybe the best special teams coordinator around. He has the BIG BALLS to call a fake punt 7 times the last two years - they have converted 6 times because Dave Fipp studies looks and knows when it will work. He has one of most brilliant young offensive minds in Ben Johnson. I'm not ready to anoint AG just yet but my goodness - this is unprecedented. They went from the 734th most efficient defense out of 734 teams measured since 2000 to a team that has found it's identity.

He gets too much blame when things go bad and gets all the glory when it works. All part of being the HC. But he is also a CEO who is surrounded by a great staff.

Last edited:

/s

8 drives today, 8 scores

Detroit has also scored 25+ points in 5-straight games for the first time since 1954.

I'll say this - part of being the leader of the pack is you take all the heat. All the decisions were yours, ultimately. If someone else screwed up or the process was flawed, it's still your team. Part of your job is protect the folks who work for you and take pressure off your players by being accountable. Buck stops here.

Look at the converse and what is happening in Detroit rn. I'd like the media to slow their roll, it's still a team with a losing record and 16% 21% chance of making the playoffs. But they're holding up MCDC this morning like he's the messiah of the Lions. Local radio is so freaking giddy about turning him around a 1-6 team.

He is the HMIC so good for Dan, he's a hard working guy and deserves some kudos. All good. But look around. It's not just him. He has maybe the best special teams coordinator around. He has the BIG BALLS to call a fake punt 7 times the last two years - they have converted 6 times because Dave Fipp studies looks and knows when it will work. He has one of most brilliant young offensive minds in Ben Johnson. I'm not ready to anoint AG just yet but my goodness - this is unprecedented. They went from the 734th most efficient defense out of 734 teams measured since 2000 to a team that has found it's identity.

He gets too much blame when things go bad and gets all the glory when it works. All part of being the HC. But he is also a CEO who is surrounded by a great staff.
Absolutely. Part of being a great leader is surrounding yourself with great people.

BB would be fired if he wasn't BB with the makeup and play of his team. Think about if BB coaching opportunies were Cleveland and post Brady. Timing is everything.

Also, in the off-season do coaches practice time management, being able to focus and control their emotions?

Does any team have a dedicated time managment coach? The topic has been brought up here before but I don't know of any team that has one.

BB would be fired if he wasn't BB with the makeup and play of his team. Think about if BB coaching opportunies were Cleveland and post Brady. Timing is everything.

Also, in the off-season do coaches practice time management, being able to focus and control their emotions?

Does any team have a dedicated time managment coach? The topic has been brought up here before but I don't know of any team that has one.
Broncos very publicly hired one earlier this season.

And Brady didn't make BB.

Users who are viewing this thread