What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I really stirred up a hornet's nest this weekend (1 Viewer)

When I was younger I got stung by a few hornets that had a nest in the hedge my parents had around their driveway. Dad and I came up with a plan that at dusk, we'd dump some gas on their hive and light it. We burned down a good 20 foot section of the hedge before we were able to get the garden hose out there to put the fire out. Mom wasn't happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was younger I got stung by a few hornets that had a nest in the hedge my parents had around their driveway. Dad and I came up with a plan that at dusk, we'd dump some gas on their hive and light it. We burned down a good 20 foot section of the hedge before we were able to get the garden hose out there to put the fire out. Mom wasn't happy.
Did you eliminate the hornets?

Noticed one of these ####ers in my house on Saturday. Didnt think anything of it. It was stuck on the window between the blinds so I sprayed it with 409 and drowned it. FF to today. Right below the same window I notice a bunch of yellow jackets flying into a crack under the eave of the small roof above my door. Gonna spray them shortly but now I am wondering how that other one got in.

shadyridr said:
Noticed one of these ####ers in my house on Saturday. Didnt think anything of it. It was stuck on the window between the blinds so I sprayed it with 409 and drowned it. FF to today. Right below the same window I notice a bunch of yellow jackets flying into a crack under the eave of the small roof above my door. Gonna spray them shortly but now I am wondering how that other one got in.
I had a incident a couple years back where I kept finding yellow jackets randomly in my downstairs. Mostly in the bathroom. I couldn't figure out why I would find one flying around in there like once a week. I discovered that part of my overhand on that side of the house had pulled apart. Damn yellow jackets had a nest up there! I still hadn't figured out how the random ones were getting in, but I attributed it to the kids not keeping the windows shut down there, the door, etc. I decided to kill these suckers so I went out and bought 2 giant cans of hornet and wasp spray. I unloaded both cans into the crack they were coming out of.

Little did I know this nest had been there for awhile. Spraying both those cans in there did very little except shut off the main in and out of the nest. WE START HAVING YELLOW JACKETS COMING OUT OF THE OUTLETS, LIGHT FIXTURES, ETC. They had built a nest that included my ceiling between the levels of my house. That night my oldest son and I killed dozens of yellow jackets throughout the evening. Ended up sleeping with a towel under my door to make sure no yellow jackets would get into our bedrooms upstairs (this is a split level).

Called out an exterminator the next day. Paid $150 for him to spray some powder up there that finished those guys off. He sprayed that powder in the nest and within an hour I never saw another yellow jacket.

After emptying two bottles of commercial strength wasp spray into the hole, I filled it with dirt and was able to mow the lawn yesterday without incident. I mean, other than everyone in our neighborhood getting cancer from the ground water being contaminated with carcinogens. While mowing, bugs would fly by me and each time I'd freak out and run away from the mower thinking it was another wasp attack. Clearly I'm suffering from PTSD. I feel like I'm having 'Nam flashbacks.

After emptying two bottles of commercial strength wasp spray into the hole, I filled it with dirt and was able to mow the lawn yesterday without incident. I mean, other than everyone in our neighborhood getting cancer from the ground water being contaminated with carcinogens. While mowing, bugs would fly by me and each time I'd freak out and run away from the mower thinking it was another wasp attack. Clearly I'm suffering from PTSD. I feel like I'm having 'Nam flashbacks.
Take lemons, make lemonade.

matttyl said:
Nobody, not even neighbors, called the fire department when there was a huge bush burning wildly?

matttyl said:
Nobody, not even neighbors, called the fire department when there was a huge bush burning wildly?
They probably just thought Moses was in town.

matttyl said:
They probably just thought Moses was in town.
:lmao:

Was mowing the lawn yesterday and checking out the dirt filled hole. Looks like it's all taken care of. As I pushed the mower, very proud of what I accomplished, I bumped into the guy wire holding up a telephone pole in our yard. I felt something bumping into the back of my legs again only to turn around and see one of those big black wasps desperately trying to sting me. Panic set in and she got me one time in my right calf. She must have tried about 6 different spots before I noticed as I felt something hitting my legs over and over before the searing pain of the last attempt.

I always thought these things were the ones to fear, but if I read correctly, they aren't very aggressive unless you threaten their nest. And even then, only the females can sting. Turns out there was a small nest in the plastic tubing housing the guy wire. I sprayed it down and continued mowing while in pretty good pain.

The yellowjacket sting felt about 3 times worse than the black wasp. I had no idea how ignorant I was to stinging pests until reading the thread in the FFA about the differences.

Was mowing the lawn yesterday and checking out the dirt filled hole. Looks like it's all taken care of. As I pushed the mower, very proud of what I accomplished, I bumped into the guy wire holding up a telephone pole in our yard. I felt something bumping into the back of my legs again only to turn around and see one of those big black wasps desperately trying to sting me. Panic set in and she got me one time in my right calf. She must have tried about 6 different spots before I noticed as I felt something hitting my legs over and over before the searing pain of the last attempt.

I always thought these things were the ones to fear, but if I read correctly, they aren't very aggressive unless you threaten their nest. And even then, only the females can sting. Turns out there was a small nest in the plastic tubing housing the guy wire. I sprayed it down and continued mowing while in pretty good pain.

The yellowjacket sting felt about 3 times worse than the black wasp. I had no idea how ignorant I was to stinging pests until reading the thread in the FFA about the differences.
I think you just need to hire a lawn service at this point...

down here in georgie we just pour a whole can of lighter fluid down the hole and cover it with a heavy rock or a bowl. works extremely well on yellerjackets
Yeah, I was thinking "why didn't you just use gasoline?" too.
Exactly. Wait until night, go pour gasoline down the hole and light the sucker.
It gets worse. The fourth of July passed yet apparently not one M-80 found its way into said hornet's nest. :thumbdown:

To be honest, I don't know what's down that hole. Pipes, electric, who knows. The last thing I want to do is blow up my front yard and have no working water or electricity in my house. Or worse, blow up the neighborhood because there's a gas pipeline just under the lawn.

To be honest, I don't know what's down that hole. Pipes, electric, who knows. The last thing I want to do is blow up my front yard and have no working water or electricity in my house. Or worse, blow up the neighborhood because there's a gas pipeline just under the lawn.
Fortune favors the bold.

When dealing with the devil, rational thinking is not necessary IMO.

I had a similar situation a few years ago. Was mowing, stepped into a hole by the base of a tree and was attacked. I thought about the gas thing, but didn't want to kill the tree, so I dragged a hose over and filled the hole. I kept the water running until a small lake formed. Not sure if I drowned them or they escaped, but they were gone the next day and haven't returned since.

I lived on a golf course a few years back and was mowing with a riding mower on a hill right by the golf course. All of a sudden I thought hot molten oil was spewing out of the engine... Instead I look down and see yellow jackets on my legs stinging the #### out of me.

I jumped off that mower and started running across the fairway toward the green like Winnie the f'n pooh with the trail of bees after him... These things were just steadily popping me. Golfers were getting a comedy act with their green fees that day at Wedgewood GC.

Like a couple have said, after I thought the onslaught was over a couple stowaways were discovered in my clothes and stung me a few more times for good measure. I had stings on my face, chest, legs, arms... 17 in total. So freaking painful. I felt sick for 3 days.

I went in at midnight and poured gas down the hole and put a rock over it. It worked, but I never again trusted cutting that part of my yard.

Honestly, those little ground-dwelling yellow jackets are by far the most hateful of all the bees IMO. I think my whole family was stung by them at some point growing up. I basically lost the use of my front door for a few weeks last summer because they built a nest under a tree right by the door. Tree was too low to see the entry/exit point. Too close to the house to burn them out (which is my preferred method), and I couldn't see the hole to apply Sevan Dust (my 2nd preferred method), so I went with the garden hose flood. Ran it all night on 2 separate occasions before they surrendered.

Hate those things. Saw them attack our Lab one time growing up. Poor girl didn't know what to do. They were relentless, stinging her nose and around her eyes. We had to basically drag her to the pool and throw her in.

Wtf is a guy wire? The first time you typed it i thought it was a typo.
A guy wire is a wire (rope) used to hold an object in position and increase stability.

Irregardless if you haven't heard the term before, if you've been calling them guide wires, its a moo point, but I literally, for all intensive purposes, could care less

Gawain said:
Irregardless if you haven't heard the term before, if you've been calling them guide wires, its a moo point, but I literally, for all intensive purposes, could care less
Wow, so many things that need fixed in this sentence.

Gawain said:
shadyridr said:
A guy wire is a wire (rope) used to hold an object in position and increase stability.

I'll just leave this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gv0H-vPoDc

I'll just leave this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gv0H-vPoDc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_wMBZLMLGA Love Weird Al but I prefer this

I lived on a golf course a few years back and was mowing with a riding mower on a hill right by the golf course. All of a sudden I thought hot molten oil was spewing out of the engine... Instead I look down and see yellow jackets on my legs stinging the #### out of me.

I jumped off that mower and started running across the fairway toward the green like Winnie the f'n pooh with the trail of bees after him... These things were just steadily popping me. Golfers were getting a comedy act with their green fees that day at Wedgewood GC.

Like a couple have said, after I thought the onslaught was over a couple stowaways were discovered in my clothes and stung me a few more times for good measure. I had stings on my face, chest, legs, arms... 17 in total. So freaking painful. I felt sick for 3 days.

I went in at midnight and poured gas down the hole and put a rock over it. It worked, but I never again trusted cutting that part of my yard.
Are you in Texas?

TheIronSheik said:
It would be the thing in this stock photo wrapped in yellow plastic.
Is that REALLY a stock photo? I feel like that's a picture somebody snapped by accident while on one of those back-roads that connect I-95 to some various Carolina beach...anyone who has ever been down there knows the roads I mean. The ones with random cars, sheds, bikes, animals, etc. all just kind of "there." The places where you really wonder what anyone does for a living.

Stock photography is the supply of photographs, which are often licensed for specific uses. It is used to fulfill the needs of creative assignments instead of hiring a photographer, often for a lower cost.

TheIronSheik said:
It would be the thing in this stock photo wrapped in yellow plastic.
Is that REALLY a stock photo? I feel like that's a picture somebody snapped by accident while on one of those back-roads that connect I-95 to some various Carolina beach...anyone who has ever been down there knows the roads I mean. The ones with random cars, sheds, bikes, animals, etc. all just kind of "there." The places where you really wonder what anyone does for a living.

Stock photography is the supply of photographs, which are often licensed for specific uses. It is used to fulfill the needs of creative assignments instead of hiring a photographer, often for a lower cost.
Probably not a stock photo. I just grabbed it off of Google. I was just clarifying that I didn't take the picture.

TheIronSheik said:

Are you in Texas?
Nope, Memphis area - olive branch ms

TheIronSheik said:

Are you in Texas?
:lol: I'm playing the Wedgewood in Lakeland, Florida this weekend.

TheIronSheik said:

Are you in Texas?
I figured there was a good chance that was a name used more than in one place, but I figured I'd ask. :shrug:

TheIronSheik said:

Are you in Texas?
Hijack: I got my first ticket close to Olive Branch on the way back from Memphis.

Users who are viewing this thread