What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ideas to supplement the use of trade fees (1 Viewer)

kmarsh802002

Footballguy
In our dynasty league I charge $10 a 1st round pick and $5 a 2nd round pick on future draft pick trades if you are the original owner of the pick (so only 1 fee ever on any draft pick).

A couple managers want to get rid of which I understand as they are the active managers, but I use that $ here and there for new managers replacing bad teams for the first 1-3 years for a discount on entry fees.

Anyone have another idea used in your league to supplement that $? Any thoughts/comments are appreciated.

Probably the easiest way to do it would be some prepayment of future years’ entry fees ... in the dyno I ran years ago, the startup entry fee was 150% of the annual fee and then 100% each year thereafter. In effect, every owner was pre-paying half the following year’s (non-refundable) buy-in so, if they dropped out, a new owner got a 50% auto-discount their rookie season.

A common variant of this is to require prepaying some or all the following year’s entry before trading away a future 1st-rounder. Same concept, more targeted execution.

Probably the easiest way to do it would be some prepayment of future years’ entry fees ... in the dyno I ran years ago, the startup entry fee was 150% of the annual fee and then 100% each year thereafter. In effect, every owner was pre-paying half the following year’s (non-refundable) buy-in so, if they dropped out, a new owner got a 50% auto-discount their rookie season.

A common variant of this is to require prepaying some or all the following year’s entry before trading away a future 1st-rounder. Same concept, more targeted execution.
Problem with that is what do you do after 5 years? People who paid extra at the start never get the 50% back? The new owners got a discount that was paid for and what happens when they quit and a second owner takes over? I tried it in one league and don’t suggest it.

Not sure this would be a viable solution for you. Anyway, this is how we treat future draft picks.

My league charges $5 per day for the 1st transaction of the day. Any other transactions in that 24 hour window are free. These include trades, waivers, add/drops. IR moves and subsequent adds to fill the open slot are free. We may trade picks as far into the future as we'd like, yet no one has gone further than 2 years out in any trade. The yearly $ credit into the league coffers is distributed equally at the end of the season to each weekly team high score and overall regular season total points winner.

We've had owners drop out and leave a franchise short on future picks. It really hasn't hampered our ability to find someone to take over. We aren't rigid when looking for a new owner but, we are selective. Someone always steps up to the challenge. We've made no concessions on yearly dues ever and new owners pay full dues regardless of future draft pick status.

We don't collect transaction fees until after the season. We have gotten bitten on collecting those fees twice in 18 years when someone quit. Unfortunate but, not league killing.

I guess my point is that we don't charge an extra fee for the trading of a future pick. When a future pick (or any pick) is involved in a trade it is treated as a player. All transaction fees collected become $ prizes.

The $5 per day, for the first transaction of the day, per team, totals an average around $600 yearly for the league. Average of $50 per team. Generally we range $100 - $25 per team yearly, often more with some teams, sometimes less with others.

One other thing I should note is that we collect the next years dues the same day we hand over the current years prizes. It's a requirement such that failure to pay results in weekly fines accumulating until dues are paid.

In our dynasty league I charge $10 a 1st round pick and $5 a 2nd round pick on future draft pick trades if you are the original owner of the pick (so only 1 fee ever on any draft pick).

A couple managers want to get rid of which I understand as they are the active managers, but I use that $ here and there for new managers replacing bad teams for the first 1-3 years for a discount on entry fees.

Anyone have another idea used in your league to supplement that $? Any thoughts/comments are appreciated.
Get rid of the fees.  They seem arbitrary and counter productive to active trading.  Your use of the money seems absurd as well; "here and there"?  discounted entry fees?  regular replacement of "bad" owners?  

Better yet, disband the league.

Users who are viewing this thread