What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

In this thread I rank my favorite Beatles songs: 204-1. (12 Viewers)

@krista4When I was at Disney World, Wonderful Christmastime was played a bunch, including in fireworks shows. If Disney has latched on to it, it's never going away.

In 200 years, we may see this passage in a musical history textbook (or whatever they have in lieu of textbooks):

"Paul McCartney's most enduring songs are Penny Lane and Wonderful Christmastime."

😆

@krista4When I was at Disney World, Wonderful Christmastime was played a bunch, including in fireworks shows. If Disney has latched on to it, it's never going away.

In 200 years, we may see this passage in a musical history textbook (or whatever they have in lieu of textbooks):

"Paul McCartney's most enduring songs are Penny Lane and Wonderful Christmastime."

😆

This is a situation where my using the crying reaction in place of the laughing reaction (RIP) is suitable.

And this wasn't just local radio, we are talking satellite radio. If I was writing a paper on The Beatles, I could comfortably cite you as a source. 

Ibid. k4

Uruk-Hai and I were among about 4,000 people to vote on WXPN's greatest albums of all time, and they just finished revealing the top 2,021. Here is where the Beatles albums landed (US and UK albums were eligible):

1. Abbey Road

4. Sgt. Pepper

11. Revolver

23. Rubber Soul

28. Meet the Beatles

41. The White Album

49. Let It Be

266. A Hard Day's Night

277. Magical Mystery Tour

453. Help!

1053. Introducing the Beatles

1056. Beatles '65

1735. Yesterday and Today

1992. Please Please Me 

Paul/Wings:

197. Band on the Run 

531. McCartney

534. Ram

1089. Flaming Pie

John:

436. Imagine

891. Plastic Ono Band

1656. Double Fantasy

George:

62. All Things Must Pass

The Traveling Wilburys:

258. Vol. 1

(No Ringo albums on the list, unsurprisingly)

I think I used one of my 10 votes on Abbey Road, but I don't remember my entire ballot. 
I feel like Flaming pie should be the highest ranked McCartney album.

Leroy Hoard said:
#168 deserves a better ranking.

#163 too.

My first ones to be befuddled by were "I Me Mine" at #167 and "Yer Blues" at #165.  Oh, and I just saw "This Boy" at #161.  

I'll have to delve into this further later.  Interesting!

How do they only have 185 plus have the Abbey Road medley ranked separately?  Must be missing a lot...
It looks like they didn’t include any covers.   Well, at least based on my quick glance……they don’t have A Taste of Honey in there.  My kids wanted to know how low down the list it would be….  ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Four days away from the 3-year anniversary of the start of this thread.

In a few weeks , we are going to do another 1-25 composite ranking. This time inviting all the FFA and any and all of their friends to participate (like the current Zep thread).   We basically had just those in this thread the first time.

So start working on those lists!

Getzlaf15 said:

In a few weeks , we are going to do another 1-25 composite ranking. This time inviting all the FFA and any and all of their friends to participate (like the current Zep thread).   We basically had just those in this thread the first time.

Very excited about this.  I have been a Beatles fan for many years but Kristas thread caused me to respect and like the Beatles even more.  It also changed my opinion on songs and my top 25 will certainly be different now than it was 3 years ago.   

Getzlaf15 said:

reaction.

My top 25 will be changing.  :bag:   It will include a new entrant in the top 10.  :bag:   :bag:    Thanks for doing this Getz.  It will be a lot of fun.

I lost the flash drive that had my list from before so there could be a huge difference in my list from before.  I am finding that I always gravitated toward George's songs - way before I knew they were George songs.  

Well, that's not really the assignment mr. keaton, but I dig where you're coming from  :hifive:
Well, if I’m only ranking my own top-25, then my favorite 25 George/Beatles songs suffice.  I kid, clearly.   But George’s songs will be prominently featured in my top-25.

Cant believe this thread is already so old.   Wth???  Have I aged that much?  Ugh.

My top 25 will be changing.  :bag:   It will include a new entrant in the top 10.  :bag:   :bag:    Thanks for doing this Getz.  It will be a lot of fun.
I figured if you did this all over again there would be swaps and such. My favorites change often, but they remain in a core group. It's all the others that are the hardest, cause there are so many great songs I like evenly. I guess the decision will be guided by how I'm feelin' at the time.

Ted Lange as your Bartender said:
A Youtuber is doing a first time listen series for every Beatles release chronologically.  It’s fun vicariously watching someone else discover their music and go through the evolutionary journey.

here’s the first video, she’s gotten up to the White Album now:  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=taEIP8OY_20

Very interesting!  Thanks for posting it, and it's nice to see you around again.

Getzlaf15 said:

Very happy you guys are doing this.  I tried to keep up with the thread last go round but it was just too much at the time.

Guesses at my #1:

1. simey – Abbey Road medley
  2. Mister CIA – She Said She Said
  3. timschochet – Paperback Writer
  4. pecorino – Hey Jude
  5. Binky the Doormat – In My Life
  6. wikkidpissah – Taxman
  7. Dr. Octopus – Got To Get You Into My Life
  8. Nigel Tufnel – You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away
  9. Uruk-Hai – Ticket to Ride
  10. Dinsy Ejotuz – Let It Be
  11. Tom Hagen – Eleanor Rigby
  12. Spock – Rain
  13. Leroy Hoard – A Day in the Life
  14. rockaction  - I Want to Hold Your Hand
  15. Ted Lange as Your Bartender – In My Life
  16. shuke – Abbey Road medley
  17. Alex P Keaton – Something
  18. Getzlaf15 – With A Little Help From My Friends
  19. zamboni – While My Guitar Gently Weeps
  20. neal cassady – I Am the Walrus
  21. Shaft41 – Hey Bulldog
  22. Ilov80s – Norwegian Wood
  23. Officer Pete Malloy – I Want to Hold Your Hand
  24. Godsbrother – Dear Prudence
  25. ManofSteelhead – Eleanor Rigby
  26. mike9289 – I’m Looking Through You
  27. heckmanm: Eleanor Rigby
  28. Atomic Punk – A Day in the Life
  29. [Mrs. Punk – In My Life]
  30. bananafish – Abbey Road medley
  31. bonzai – Abbey Road medley
  32. fatguy – Here Comes the Sun
  33. ScottNorwood- Yesterday
Hippling like a madman here, but having read through the entire thread up until this point, this must have felt really, really satisfying. :lmao:

Many comments I could have made up until this point, but I literally laughed out loud, just based on tim's schtick and your good-natured replies.

Thanks so much, my dear friend.  I hope you're doing well.

I actually think my magnum opus was the next thread, the post-Beatles one.  :D   Poke your head in there sometime, as we missed you during that thread!  
My fiancé is **aware** of this thread. She knows I’m working on a Top 25 (15-20 hours of noise canceling headphones this week was a dead giveaway.) She’s heard your radio thing (twice.)

This morning she asked to hear your bottom 10. Around Honey Pie or Blue Jay Way she said “OK that’s enough. Can we hear that super deluxe thingy again?”

Also, she thought end of FF season meant I’d be on FBGs less. Bahahahahaha

My fiancé is **aware** of this thread. She knows I’m working on a Top 25 (15-20 hours of noise canceling headphones this week was a dead giveaway.) She’s heard your radio thing (twice.)

This morning she asked to hear your bottom 10. Around Honey Pie or Blue Jay Way she said “OK that’s enough. Can we hear that super deluxe thingy again?”

Also, she thought end of FF season meant I’d be on FBGs less. Bahahahahaha

:lmao:   Did she listen through the entirety of Revolution #9?  :shock:   

She sounds like a keeper.  Congrats on your engagement!

:lmao:   Did she listen through the entirety of Revolution #9?  :shock:   

She sounds like a keeper.  Congrats on your engagement!
Thanks! 

I was resigned to being alone the rest of my life. Never thought I would meet my person or get remarried - but was totally at peace with it, ya know?

There a million things I adore about her but one really neat-o aspect is she is the most connected person I’ve ever known. I don’t mean that in a snooty way at all (though she does have some famous & infamous friends.) She just knows how to invest in people and cultivate relationships. I think I got 3 Christmas cards last month? She got like 175.

Literally every time we are out in public - walks in the park, a concert, ball game, at a restaurant, on the subway - we always run into someone she knows. Every single time she makes the other person feel like the best thing that’s happened all day is seeing them. We have a bunch of common friends, but someone never got introduced until 2020.

WRT r9 - no big deal, I think she’s the first person I’ve dated who is cool with checking out strange avant-garde events. But Wild Honey Pie was a bridge too far. It’s just bad lol.

46.  I Feel Fine (single, 1964)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

The feedback at the beginning is legendary (one of the first times on a record), but it came about by accident.  During the recording of "Eight Days A Week," John had set his semi-acoustic Gibson with a pick-up against the amp without turning the pick-up down.  When Paul played a bass note, this feedback sound came out, which they all loved and decided to use on this record.  John added it to the riff that he'd also come up with during the session, a riff that was inspired by Bobby Parker's "Watch Your Step," and the song was born.  Obviously the feedback and the guitar riffs are the highlights - my favorite part is the descending repeated riff in the instrumental section starting ~1:15.   But don't focus on the riffs at the expense of Ringo's masterful Latin-style drumming, including those doubles and triplets on the ride, and that fill that follows the guitar solo.  Paul called this their "What'd I Say" style of "Latin R&B" drumming, patterned after Milt Turner's work with Ray Charles.

Mr. krista:  "It’s one of the first great Beatles songs. That riff in the beginning. They’re really riff monsters.  You don’t really think of them that way – you think of them as jangly.  But…they could riff.  It’s pretty amazing.  It’s a jam for sure.  Fo sho jam. Pret-ty pret-ty mint."

Suggested cover:  New record for number of terrible covers I listened to, with an alarming number of them on ukulele.  There might be a good country song in there, but no one seems to have found it yet.
I have this on right now. 

IT’S A RINGO SHOWCASE!

The story behind the Beatles giving this song to the Rolling Stones is not certain, since Paul and John told different versions of the events.
Listening to Anthology Revisited, this (hilariously) happens frequently. They order the interview snippets back to back so it’s easy to compare/contrast.

Even better is when you hear young Paul being contradicted by elder Paul in the retelling.

I didn't intend to have all of Paul's "granny ####" bunched up like this, but I guess it makes sense that it would shake out that way.

154. When I'm Sixty-Four (Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, 1967)

Beatles version: Spotify YouTube

Paul wrote this on his dad's piano when he was 14-16 (depending upon which interview you believe), so even though it was included on Sgt Pepper's, I don't think of it as being entirely of those canonical sessions. Sure, some lyrics were added and the musicality of it was enhanced by what they were doing at the time, but at its core this is still a simple vaudevillian-style song from Paul's early years. I've never considered it a serious work, which I think makes me enjoy more than if I did, and Paul himself says that he originally wrote it tongue-in-cheek without a sense of how/when it would ever be used, with hopes that maybe it would make it into a cabaret show some day. This is simply a fun little song, and if you don't sing along when you hear it, there might be something wrong with you, or you are Mr. krista, or both.

Originally slotted to be the b-side to "Strawberry Fields Forever" before that was changed to a blockbuster double-a-side record with "Penny Lane," what shine most on this in my opinion are the flowing clarinets, the backing vocals, the final "hoo!", and the shift to a minor key for the bridge followed by the introduction back into major before the verse through the use of a cheerful chime. Though I find most of the lyrics slight, I find this clever:

Send me a postcard, drop me a line
Stating point of view
Indicate precisely what you mean to say
Yours sincerely, wasting away

Fun facts: Paul switches to a Scottish accent for the line "Grandchildren on your knee...". He also had the recording sped up significantly in production to, according to Geoff Emerick and George Martin, simulate a more youthful voice or, according to Paul, make the song more "rooty-tooty."

Mr. krista: "The Kinks had a lot of songs like that, that were English music hall variety. But the Kinks were funny because they were really sardonic. They were in love with England but still cynical. So Village Green Preservation Society was just as complex musically. Paul is kind of lacking that cynicism that might have made that song good. It’s just in the style it’s in because that’s how it was written, not because it has anything to say about a monarchy or an empire or anything. Music like that is why I tended to like the Kinks more than the Beatles.* That part where he rolls his r’s makes me want to throw him through a wall."

*Divorce pending.

Suggested covers: Keith Moon; The Del McCoury Band

153. Maxwell's Silver Hammer (Abbey Road, 1969)

Beatles version: Spotify YouTube

A favorite of noted FFA nice-guy @Gr00vus, this song might be the only one with Ringo listed on "anvil." I've probably rated this higher than many others would, including the rest of the Beatles who all hated it. John didn't even play on it but claimed that the numerous takes led it to cost more money to make than anything else on the record.

It's another bit of Paul's "granny music" with a made-up cast of characters, so different in style to the more personal songwriting of John and George. I loved this description from Paul of the differences in their writing styles: "Some of my songs are based on personal experiences, but my style is to veil it. A lot of them are made up, like 'Maxwell's Silver Hammer,' which is the kind of song I like to write. It's just a silly story about all these people I'd never met. It's just like writing a play: you don't have to know the people; you just make them up. I remember George once saying to me, 'I couldn't write songs like that.' He writes more from personal experience. John's style was to show the naked truth. If I was a painter, I'd probably mask things a little bit more than some people."

Though in a similar style, it gets a slight nod from me over "When I'm Sixty-Four" by virtue of the fact that it cracks me the hell up. You can just find yourself humming along with this jaunty ditty and then realize it's about murder. Paul McCartney is one weird dude. He has said that the song is supposed to be symbolic of when something suddenly goes wrong in your life (all is going well and then "bang bang!"), but I prefer just to enjoy it as a homicidal rampage.

The song's placement on Abbey Road seems a little jarring to me, so I wasn't surprised to learn that Paul originally wrote it for the White Album but it wasn't recorded in time to make the cut. My favorite aspects of this song are those anvil hits on the "Bang bang," the synth, the slurring of the bass to make it sound like a tuba, and of course the humor. Paul sings it in a fashion almost like he's telling a children's story - a violent, gruesome children's story.

Mr. krista: "I think the lyrics are good. I like songs about guys who kill people with hammers. But I don’t much like this song."

Suggested cover: Though it's from The Film That Shall Not Be Named, I'm such a fan of his that I can't resist: Steve Martin

My sister FaceTimed from her morning walk today. I sent her a Happy Birthday message of me singing her this song - she was born 4/27/1959.

(it is a dreck song in the pantheon but wonderfully appropriate for one day of your life)

She and I shared many instances and memories of listening to Beatles records together in the living room. From 45s to the Red and Blue albums and everything in between.

My 8th grade students are currently working on a project that encompasses the decade of their choosing from the 70s, 80s or 90s. One of the topics they have to cover in their writing is about music of their decade that they consider great, whether it be a song, album, artist, etc. One of the groups doing the 80s was discussing this yesterday, and I helpfully directed them to potentially consider McCartney II, and in particular, they might want to take a listen to track two on side one. We shall see if they've done the necessary research.

Users who are viewing this thread