What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

In this thread I rank my favorite Beatles songs: 204-1. (1 Viewer)

I just spent about 5 minutes trying to figure out what kind of Beatles song Dave's Got a Kitten would have been.  I can't decide between psychedelic fantasy or Dylanesque ballad. Either way I agree with Mr. K.
Like this?  Mr. Krista should do a write up for this one even though it’s not in the official rankings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, I woke up this morning with "Run For Your Life" in my head, even though I haven't listened to it in awhile. I assume this means I'm homicidal?

Wasn't in my top 25, so I don't care 
Forgot my 😉

Seriously, I had a feeling it might come in lower than some would think, given k4's sometimes-antipathy for Paul's invented worlds, plus no Ringo or stabby guitars on it. Also, given what she has ahead of it.

I love the record and never turn it off when it comes on. 

Who here mentioned Underground Garage a while back? It's such a fun channel. I mostly toggle between that and the Loft when I'm listening to Sirius XM.

Apologies to Shaft for not getting this quite high enough!

31.  Hey Bulldog (Yellow Submarine, 1969)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

BASS LINE!  That's what it's all about for me.  Mr. krista (bass player) describes it much better than I could, below.  
The bass line is the highlight of this song. This is a cool rocker in their canon of songs.

I think everyone who ranked a particular song highest should stand up and say why.   I'll be happy to go first with Sgt. Peppers Reprise at #5 overall.
I missed krista ranking Sgt. Peppers Reprise.  I love that song in all of its short lively glory. It is my second favorite tune on the album, and love the lead in to what is my favorite song on Sgt. Peppers (A Day In the Life).

I missed krista ranking Sgt. Peppers Reprise.  I love that song in all of its short lively glory. It is my second favorite tune on the album, and love the lead in to what is my favorite song on Sgt. Peppers (A Day In the Life).
It's kind of difficult ranking the Sgt Pepper reprise as a stand alone song. Kind of like ranking "We Will Rock You" without "We Are The Champions" or any other companion and/or locked-at-the-hip type tunes.

It's kind of difficult ranking the Sgt Pepper reprise as a stand alone song. Kind of like ranking "We Will Rock You" without "We Are The Champions" or any other companion and/or locked-at-the-hip type tunes.
I agree. The first Sgt. Peppers is more of an intro, and the reprise is an outro.  I enjoy both the intro and the outro, but that outro is just great to play loud with the guitars, drumming, and even the singing with the end going wooooooo. Also the counting at the beginning with Ringo's drums following is awesome.

I did.  It’s my backup when Rocky Raccoon is on the Beatles channel.
Every time I put the Beatles channel on for any amount of time I hear "Back Off Boogaloo". I don't mind the song, but I've heard it more in the last few months than I did when I was listening to pop radio during it's Top 40 run.

Every time I put the Beatles channel on for any amount of time I hear "Back Off Boogaloo". I don't mind the song, but I've heard it more in the last few months than I did when I was listening to pop radio during it's Top 40 run.
The XM Beatles channel could be so much better if they eliminated

1.  The chick with the british accent 

2. "Speaking words of wisdom" spots - these are beyond stupid

3. "My Fab Four" segments.  I don't care what Joe Blow, or Mary Schmoes 4 favorite Beatles songs are

4. A LOT more Beatles solo stuff and songs by artists they collaborated with.

In fact a lot less interruptions.   This is a BIG pet peeve I have of XM in general.  I can't stand the fake 70s & 80s spots on those stations, the record scratch intros on the Vinyl channel, etc.  It's not clever and no one is paying to hear that crap.  Just play non-interrupted music.

/rant

Binky's was fixed.   Rock I might redo If I can find the time to recreate his 1-25.  RE has me swamped.
Seriously, brother, don't worry about it. I'm sorta laughing. It's just a ranking of a song. My list changes like Krista's, too. I rated my prior "favorite" number four because of exactly the notion of anti-nostalgia krista4 brings to the table. She done influenced me. I Want To Hold Your Hand was my favorite song as a four year-old, but no longer.  

3. "My Fab Four" segments.  I don't care what Joe Blow, or Mary Schmoes 4 favorite Beatles songs are

In fact a lot less interruptions.   This is a BIG pet peeve I have of XM in general.  I can't stand the fake 70s & 80s spots on those stations, the record scratch intros on the Vinyl channel, etc.  It's not clever and no one is paying to hear that crap.  Just play non-interrupted music.

/rant
I will add to this that they make a big point of telling us they're going to play a "hand-selected" cover song.  It's like a restaurant telling us they're serving "hand-cut" fries.  I don't really give a crap how the song was selected or the fries were cut.  I just care if it sounds good or if they taste good, or, preferably, both.  

I did hear "Back Off Boogaloo" this morning.  I still haven't heard "Temporary Secretary."  

/rant
Some of these don't bother me, but I agree that it could be better.

Which has me scratching my head since Lou Simon is running the channel, and he rescued the '60s channel a few years ago from it's "Satisfaction/Respect/Dock Of The Bay"-every-hour-on-the-hour post-merger blandness. Ken Merson took it over for a year or so after Lou left and went straight back to playing "Brown Eyed Girl" 47,000 times a day. New guy - forgot his name - has started things back in the right direction.

Speaking of Sirius/XM, I've never had it before I got this free trial after buying a car.  It expires next month.  They already sent me a mailer to renew at a "reduced" price off of their normal prices.  My sister told me that she always just calls them right before it is set to expire and they end up giving it to her for like $5/month.  Is this anything y'all have experienced as well?  I want to keep it but don't want to pay what they're asking.  

Speaking of Sirius/XM, I've never had it before I got this free trial after buying a car.  It expires next month.  They already sent me a mailer to renew at a "reduced" price off of their normal prices.  My sister told me that she always just calls them right before it is set to expire and they end up giving it to her for like $5/month.  Is this anything y'all have experienced as well?  I want to keep it but don't want to pay what they're asking.  
In my experience, they keep sending you offers and reducing the price more each time.  Wait it out until just before it expires.

Something I forgot to mention yesterday during the "Revolution" discussion:  if you're teaching junior high or high school social studies and frankly, why would you, and you are teaching about something like the American Revolution, so you decide to play the song "Revolution" to try and get the kids to come to a better understanding of what a revolution is by listening to the song and analyzing the lyrics, don't bother.  

It doesn't work too well.  Except the dude in the Pantera T-shirt usually digs it.  

Something I forgot to mention yesterday during the "Revolution" discussion:  if you're teaching junior high or high school social studies and frankly, why would you, and you are teaching about something like the American Revolution, so you decide to play the song "Revolution" to try and get the kids to come to a better understanding of what a revolution is by listening to the song and analyzing the lyrics, don't bother.  

It doesn't work too well.  Except the dude in the Pantera T-shirt usually digs it.  
It might work if you wear a turtleneck sweater during the lesson

What krista said.

I got XM in 2004 and bought a lifetime subscription in '07 or thereabouts - right before the merger with Sirius, anyway. I don't even have a receiver anymore - just run the account I was grandfathered into through the internet on my phone, Echo, etc....

What krista said.

I got XM in 2004 and bought a lifetime subscription in '07 or thereabouts - right before the merger with Sirius, anyway. I don't even have a receiver anymore - just run the account I was grandfathered into through the internet on my phone, Echo, etc....

This my routine and frankly it is a bit tiresome.   I get close to expiration and call to cancel, they keep making offers and I keep declining until I get it for $5/month but only for 6 months.  

6 months later you rinse and repeat.  It is worth it though...

This my routine and frankly it is a bit tiresome.   I get close to expiration and call to cancel, they keep making offers and I keep declining until I get it for $5/month but only for 6 months.  

6 months later you rinse and repeat.  It is worth it though...
Hm. Well, as you say, $5/month would totally be worth it.  Already playing this game with DirecTV though, and tiresome is an apt description.  

I call and bluntly tell them. To cancel if they won’t give the same deal. $36 for 6 months. 

I call and bluntly tell them. To cancel if they won’t give the same deal. $36 for 6 months. 
I had it for several years and they would auto renew at a super high rate with no notice.

Four months ago, I get my wife a new car and they some how linked her car to my account.  That car gets the 3 month free thing and they credit back almost all of the super high auto renew.  Problem is, they didn't tell me or my wife that HER car was activated.

I get a new car three days after my wife does.  So I'm thinking the credit they gave me was for my new car.  Three months later, new car trial is over.  The problem is THIS is when we find out all the issues with my wife somehow being on my account now.

My XM goes dead after the trial.  WTF.  Three phone calls and testing my car later, they can't get my radio to go on.  #### them.  I cancelled the account and got a refund for the credit they issued.

I just stream my Spotify through the car now and wait for Krista to tell me she's heard Rocky on that channel three times that day.

As long as we are in a SiriusXM interlude, I also just re-upped for $5/month after letting it expire about a year or so ago. Good thing is that you can just use the app or through Car Play without the old annoying wires. 

Love the Beatles channel, but can see myself getting tired again of the same old, same old songs on all the other channels. Big fan of Deep Tracks though.

Admittedly, when I chose this for my guess at Krista's #1, I was extrapolating my own love for this song. It's in my top 5. But I may be alone in that. It's just so darn...infectious. The groove is stellar. The lyrics may be nonsensical, but not all of them, as Krista astutely pointed out, and this is The Beatles we're talking about. When the family plays Beatles: Rock Band, I always take guitar on this one so I can live vicariously through the bassline. So good. 
I had it at 7 - this song just rocks and it shows off that they were more than a "boy band" they (especially Paul and Ringo) were virtuosos at their instruments.

Users who are viewing this thread