What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

In this thread I rank my favorite Rolling Stones songs: 204-1: Four Musketeers Get Their Ya-Yas Out (3 Viewers)

53. Tumbling Dice

Year:

US Album: Exile on Main St.

Songwriter: Jagger/Richards

“Always in a hurry, I never stop to worry,
Don't you see the time flashin' by.
Honey, got no money,
I'm all sixes and sevens and nines.
Say now baby, I'm the rank outsider,
You can be my partner in crime.”

This song, like most of Exile, was recorded in a basement in Keith’s French chateau. The band would sleep all day and record all night with whoever was around. Bill Wyman showed up a little late to this session to find Mick Taylor playing bass. He hung around until 3:00 am and then left and does not appear on the song.

It’s a boogie based number with a non-traditional lyrical structure. Most songs have the same number of lines for the verse and for the chorus. The first verse of this song has eight lines, the second verse has six lines, and the last verse has two lines.

This is also the only song where Charlie overdubbed a second drum part to create a bigger drum sound. It was also later revealed that Jimmy Miller stepped in on drums to complete the song’s coda because Charlie left in frustration that he could not get it right.

As with most of the record it’s Bobby Keys (saxophone) and Jim Price (trumpet and trombone) on the horns.

Wow. Making my way through all the commentary and didn't notice this one when I first scanned the list. This is a shocker for me. I would have thought it was a stone cold lock for top 25 and imagined it would be Top 10. This has to be the "Penny Lane" of this list.
They have a lot of great songs and this one, while great, was never one of my favorites.

New album, Hackney Diamonds, dropped today.

I gave it a listen while reviewing a couple of NDAs this morning. This is their best album since Tatoo You - which isn't saying much really as most post -1981 albums had a handful of good songs but mostly dreck.

This record isn't great but it's actually quite good, especially for a couple of octogenarians. Two songs from this album would likely crack my Top 100. Mick actually sounds great and the music is more diverse and interesting than most of their late career stuff. I'm looking forward to letting it grow on me with future listens.

Users who are viewing this thread