What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

In this thread I rank my favorite Rolling Stones songs: 204-1: Four Musketeers Get Their Ya-Yas Out (2 Viewers)

My friend (same one who hates the Paul songs on Revolver and whose dad played in a band with Grover Washington Jr.) thinks that perhaps the main reason he and others are down on GHS compared to their other albums around that time is that this song is a dud, and thus a terrible way to open the album and set the mood.

I like it well enough but I think they did this kind of thing much better on IoRnR and Some Girls. 
I don’t think it’s a bad groove to start the record but at the same time it is one of the weaker songs on the album.

141. You Got the Silver

Year: 1969

US Album: Let it Bleed

Songwriter: Jagger/Richards

“Hey babe, what's in your eyes? I saw them flashing like airplane lights You fill my cup, babe, that's for sure I must come back for a little more”

"You Got the Silver" was the last Stones recording with Brian Jones to be released. He plays autoharp, one of his two appearances on the album. It’s also the first song to feature Keith on lead solo vocal throughout the song – on his first two solo vocals (songs to appear later) he sung the choruses while Mick sung the verses on one and sang only the opening lines before Mick takes over on the other. Keith also plays a nice slide guitar on this gem.
There are outtakes of this with Mick singing. I've never heard any, have you? 

Dr. Octopus said:
krista4 said:
Oh hell no, I don't care for it in the same way I didn't before - when he's using it to mug and preen.  In some songs it's great, especially doing bluesy stuff.
How about here?
When I clicked on this reply to krista, YouTube played an ad for: Not Our First Goat Rodeo

I'd count that as a double-whammy! 

It also made me purdy paranoid about the YouTube ad algorithm ...  :ph34r:

119. Undercover of the Night

Year: 1983

US Album: Undercover

from wiki:

This one may not be a popular choice, but always liked the exotic nature of it and in 1983 the Stones were still relevant and this song/video was a staple of MTV. Keith is given the part he was born to play in the video, complete with skull mask.
I actually love this (though most of the rest of the album is dreadful). The cutting, chunky blasts from Keith and all the different kinds of percussion going on really do it for me. I even took it in the Stones song draft I did (same site where I did the Beatles draft and the Neil draft). 

Satanic Majesties really isn't my thing -- there's a reason why the Stones and Beatles sounded different and attracted different fans -- but 2000 Light Years is the one I keep returning to from that record. Fantastic use of mellotron. 

Heartbreaker's a big one for me. Huge performances by Mick T. and Billy Preston. And the lyrics really hurt in this day and age. 

I wonder if they titled it the way they did to avoid confusion with the Zeppelin song? 

Last edited by a moderator:
50. 100 Years Ago

Year: 1973

US Album: Goats Head Soup

“Mary and I, we would sit upon a gate  Just gazin' at some dragon in the sky  What tender days, we had no secrets hid away  Well, it seemed about a hundred years ago”

This song is like three songs in one. It starts off in a wistful country-ish style where Mick sings some very poetic lyrics about a better time in life, slows down and Mick breaks into a heavy drawl with lyrics seemingly unrelated to the rest of the song and then breaks out into a Mick Taylor lead funky jam.

Taylor’s guitar playing is amazing on this one – but I would love this song even without the coda – but with it, Top 50.  
I didn't really listen to GHS until I did my Stones song draft a few years ago*. This was a revelation. Some of Mick T.'s best work. Top 50 for me too -- but BECAUSE of the coda. 

* - I never bought it because of its reputation. Oddly, it was one of the few non-classical albums -- and only Stones album -- my parents had. We never listened to it. I can only surmise that my dad bought it for my mom because she liked "Angie". The rest of it is certainly not their kind of music. 

Shine a Light and Waiting on a Friend — I love these so much but the catalog is so deep that I can’t say I’d definitely place them higher than you did.

The Waiting on a Friend video made a huge impact on me. I thought Start Me Up and Hang Fire were cartoonish, but this one was something I related to immediately. (I was 10 when the album came out and 11 when we got cable.)

At one of my most recent Phish shows, they ended with Shine a Light and it was exhilarating.

Didn’t think I’d see an Exile song that I thought you rated too high, but here we are with Sweet Virginia. I think it’s the closest thing there is to filler on that album. 

I’m somewhere in between you and Wikkid on their country stuff. I think Faraway Eyes is funny but I’m not sure how I feel about it as a song. 

Moonlight Mile is in my top 10. It’s unfathomably gorgeous.

Winter to me comes off as trying too hard to copy MM. I need to listen to it again.

Sway is a big one for me too. I thought they were singing “It’s just that needle I forgot to in its sway.” 😂 That makes zero sense, but no matter. They could sing the phone book along with this arrangement and it would still be amazing.

15. Stray Cat Blues

Year: 1968

US Album: Beggars Banquet

“You say you got a friend, that she's wilder than you
Why don't you bring her upstairs
If she's so wild then she can join in too
It's no hanging matter
It's no capital crime”

What’s a little statutory rape between friends? This is a song told from the perspective of the narrator lusting after a 15 year old groupie and trying to talk her (and himself) into it.

It’s an extremely cool sounding song with the music sounding as sleazy as the lyrical content. Charlie has some great drum fills using a hi hat beat. Keith plays all electric guitars including the slide and bass, Brian plays the mellotron and Nicky Hopkins a droning piano.

Mick oozes slime from his lips while trying to sweet talk his prey – while Keith screeches on the guitar.
The Ya-Yas version took it to a whole nother level. 

Angie and Memory Motel in the top 15 -- bold choices, Cotton.

I told my Angie story earlier. I agree with wikkid on Motel -- it would have stood out more on a different album. It's nice but it again sounds like an attempt to replicate Mile, whose shimmering brilliance cannot be replicated. 

Home stretch!

Wild Horses -- Lovely, and can be appreciated on so many levels. One of the few Stones songs you can play for your young children.

Ruby Tuesday -- I'm not big on most of the non-rockers pre-Beggars (ie, not really a fan of Jonesy/Lady Jane stuff), but this is probably the best of them. Like In My Life, though, it gets points deducted for soccer mom/yearbook quote overuse.

She's a Rainbow -- Aside from Charlie's drumming, nope.

Rocks Off -- You are right, it may be Stones-y-est Stones song there is. Perfect way to open a (more or less) perfect album. 

Paint It Black -- Very dark for its time, and I love #### like that. And I like the use of the sitar here better than in any Beatle song where it was used. It's not showy, it does what it does and is an integral part of what makes the song what it is. Norwegian Wood would be the same song if the sitar part was played on guitar. Not the case here. And as I said in the Beatles thread, I find George's sitar songs overwhelming. Again, not the case here. 

Sympathy for the Devil -- Voluminous amounts of words have been written about this song, so all I have to contribute is that I agree with your ranking.

Dead Flowers -- I wouldn't have it this high, but it's easily the Stones' best country song. So much fun, and yet so macabre. 

Gimme Shelter -- My #1, as I mentioned in the jukebox draft thread. Very few songs have this much musical and emotional impact.  

Satisfaction -- I mean, this took rock and roll to a whole new level. The guitar could now be used as a sonic weapon. 

Can't You Hear Me Knocking -- Another big one for me. That coda may be my favorite musical passage in the Stones' entire catalog. It's so different from what they normally do, yet it fits so well. At my one live Stones show (2002 at the Vet in Philly), I was pumped when they played it, and extremely impressed at how well Ron Wood pulled off Mick T.'s parts. 

Loving Cup -- Not my #1 or probably even in my top 25 but it's easy to see why it's so beloved. My history with this song is mostly through Phish, who has been covering it regularly in their live sets since 1993 (they started playing it to commemorate keyboardist Page McConnell finally being able to bring a grand piano on the road). Being in the middle of everything when the band and crowd releases "what a beautiful buzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!" is a hell of a thing. My two favorite Phish versions are intimately tied to the Stones themselves. One is when they played it on a late-night talk show that was doing a "tribute to the Stones" week. The other is when they covered Exile in its entirety for Halloween one year. Both times you could tell they were giving it something extra because of the significance of the occasion. 

Thanks again for putting this together. I'll have more odds and ends as I make my way through the post-list comments. 

Just for the hell of it, here are the results of the Stones song draft I did on my other sports/music geek site in 2012:

1.01 -- Sheep -- You Can't Always Get What You Want (Let It Bleed, 1969)
1.02 -- Lucky -- Jumpin' Jack Flash (non-album single, 1968)
1.03 -- Overkill -- Waitin' on a Friend (Tattoo You, 1981)
1.04 -- Johnny -- Sympathy for the Devil (Beggars Banquet, 1968)
1.05 -- Gregg -- Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) (Goat's Head Soup, 1973)
1.06 -- DMT -- Paint It Black (Aftermath, 1966)
1.07 -- Mith -- Gimme Shelter (Let It Bleed, 1969)
1.08 -- Revo -- Angie (Goat's Head Soup, 1973)
1.09 -- Pip -- (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction (Out of Our Heads, 1965)
1.10 -- Fresno Bob -- Honky Tonk Women (non-album single, 1969)
2.01 -- Fresno Bob -- Monkey Man (Let It Bleed, 1969)
2.02 -- Pip -- Tumbling Dice (Exile on Main Street, 1972)
2.03 -- Revo -- Happy (Exile on Main Street, 1972)
2.04 -- Mith -- ##### (Sticky Fingers, 1971)
2.05 -- DMT -- Ruby Tuesday (Between the Buttons, 1967)
2.06 -- Gregg -- Wild Horses (Sticky Fingers, 1971)
2.07 -- Johnny -- Brown Sugar (Sticky Fingers, 1971)
2.08 -- Overkill -- Street Fighting Man (Beggars Banquet, 1968)
2.09 -- Lucky -- Can't You Hear Me Knocking (Sticky Fingers, 1971)
2.10 -- Sheep -- Loving Cup (Exile on Main Street, 1972)
3.01 -- Sheep -- Sweet Virginia (Exile on Main Street, 1972)
3.02 -- Lucky -- Midnight Rambler (Let It Bleed, 1969)
3.03 -- Overkill -- Hang Fire (Tattoo You, 1981)
3.04 -- Johnny -- Shine a Light (Exile on Main Street, 1972)
3.05 -- Gregg -- Under My Thumb (Aftermath, 1966)
3.06 -- DMT -- Start Me Up (Tattoo You, 1981)
3.07 -- Mith -- Before They Make Me Run (Some Girls, 1978)
3.08 -- Revo -- Shattered (Some Girls, 1978)
3.09 -- Pip -- Moonlight Mile (Sticky Fingers, 1971)
3.10 -- Fresno Bob -- It's Only Rock 'N Roll (But I Like It) (It's Only Rock 'N Roll, 1974)
4.01 -- Fresno Bob -- Miss You (Some Girls, 1978)
4.02 -- Pip -- Stray Cat Blues (Beggars Banquet, 1968)
4.03 -- Revo -- She's a Rainbow (Their Satanic Majesties Request, 1967)
4.04 -- Mith -- Mother's Little Helper (Aftermath (UK), 1966)
4.05 -- DMT -- No Expectations (Beggars Banquet, 1968)
4.06 -- Gregg -- It's All Over Now (12x5, 1964)
4.07 -- Johnny -- Beast of Burden (Some Girls, 1978)
4.08 -- Overkill -- Time Waits for No One (It's Only Rock 'N Roll, 1974)
4.09 -- Lucky -- 19th Nervous Breakdown (non-album single, 1966)
4.10 -- Sheep -- Sway (Sticky Fingers, 1971)
5.01 -- Sheep -- Dead Flowers (Sticky Fingers, 1971)
5.02 -- Lucky -- 2000 Light Years from Home (Their Satanic Majesties Request, 1967)
5.03 -- Overkill -- Rocks Off (Exile on Main Street, 1972)
5.04 -- Johnny -- As Tears Go By (December's Children (And Everybody's), 1965)
5.05 -- Gregg -- The Last Time (Out of Our Heads, 1965)
5.06 -- DMT -- Let It Bleed (Let It Bleed, 1969)
5.07 -- Mith -- Get Off of My Cloud (December's Children (And Everybody's), 1965)
5.08 -- Revo -- Memory Motel (Black and Blue, 1976)
5.09 -- Pip -- Undercover of the Night (Undercover, 1983)
5.10 -- Fresno Bob -- Little T&A (Tattoo You, 1981)
6.01 -- Fresno Bob -- Play with Fire (Out of Our Heads, 1965)
6.02 -- Pip -- Live with Me (Let It Bleed, 1969)
6.03 -- Revo -- Let's Spend the Night Together (Between the Buttons, 1967)
6.04 -- Mith -- Jigsaw Puzzle (Beggars Banquet, 1968)
6.05 -- DMT -- Torn and Frayed (Exile on Main Street, 1972)
6.06 -- Gregg -- Not Fade Away (England's Newest Hitmakers, 1964)
6.07 -- Johnny -- Time Is on My Side (12x5, 1964)
6.08 -- Overkill -- 100 Years Ago (Goat's Head Soup, 1973)
6.09 -- Lucky -- Little Red Rooster (The Rolling Stones, Now!, 1965)
6.10 -- Sheep -- Ventilator Blues (Exile on Main Street, 1972)
7.01 -- Sheep -- All Down the Line (Exile on Main Street, 1972)
7.02 -- Lucky -- Love Is Strong (Voodoo Lounge, 1994)
7.03 -- Overkill -- Far Away Eyes (Some Girls, 1978)
7.04 -- Johnny -- Lady Jane (Aftermath, 1966)
7.05 -- Gregg -- Heart of Stone (The Rolling Stones, Now!, 1965, and Out of Our Heads, 1965)
7.06 -- DMT -- I Got the Blues (Sticky Fingers, 1971)
7.07 -- Mith -- Dandelion (non-album single, 1967)
7.08 -- Revo -- Emotional Rescue (Emotional Rescue, 1980)
7.09 -- Pip -- Fingerprint File (It's Only Rock 'N Roll, 1974)
7.10 -- Fresno Bob -- She's So Cold (Emotional Rescue, 1980)
8.01 -- Fresno Bob -- Love in Vain (Let It Bleed, 1969)
8.02 -- Pip -- Soul Survivor (Exile on Main Street, 1972)
8.03 -- Revo -- Out of Time (Aftermath (UK), 1966)
8.04 -- Mith -- Good Time Women (Exile on Main Street bonus disc, recorded 1972, released 2010)
8.05 -- DMT -- Star Star (Goat's Head Soup, 1973)
8.06 -- Gregg -- Fool to Cry (Black and Blue, 1976)
8.07 -- Johnny -- I Am Waiting (Aftermath, 1966)
8.08 -- Overkill -- Dear Doctor (Beggars Banquet, 1968)
8.09 -- Lucky -- Shake Your Hips (Exile on Main Street, 1972)
8.10 -- Sheep -- Salt of the Earth (Beggars Banquet, 1968)
9.01 -- Sheep -- You Got the Silver (Let It Bleed, 1969)
9.02 -- Lucky -- Mixed Emotions (Steel Wheels, 1989)
9.03 -- Overkill -- Heaven (Tattoo You, 1981)
9.04 -- Johnny -- Factory Girl (Beggars Banquet, 1968)
9.05 -- Gregg -- Good Times, Bad Times (12x5, 1964)
9.06 -- DMT -- Sweet Black Angel (Exile on Main Street, 1972)
9.07 -- Mith -- 2000 Man (Their Satanic Majesties Request, 1967)
9.08 -- Revo -- Ain't Too Proud to Beg (It's Only Rock 'N Roll, 1974)
9.09 -- Pip -- Slave (Tattoo You, 1981)
9.10 -- Fresno Bob -- When the Whip Comes Down (Some Girls, 1978)
10.01 -- Fresno Bob -- Thru and Thru (Voodoo Lounge, 1994)
10.02 -- Pip -- Connection (Between the Buttons, 1967)
10.03 -- Revo -- I'm Free (Out of Our Heads, 1965)
10.04 -- Mith -- Dance Little Sister (It's Only Rock 'N Roll, 1974)
10.05 -- DMT -- Rip This Joint (Exile on Main Street, 1972)
10.06 -- Gregg -- Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby (Standing in the Shadows) (non-album single, 1966)
10.07 -- Johnny -- In Another Land (Their Satanic Majesties Request, 1967)
10.08 -- Overkill -- Silver Train (Goat's Head Soup, 1973)
10.09 -- Lucky -- You Got Me Rocking (Voodoo Lounge, 1994)
10.10 -- Sheep -- Worried About You (Tattoo You, 1981)
11.01 -- Sheep -- Turd on the Run (Exile on Main Street, 1972)
11.02 -- Lucky -- Stop Breaking Down (Exile on Main Street, 1972)
11.03 -- Overkill -- Don't Stop (Forty Licks, 2002)
11.04 -- Johnny -- Plundered My Soul (Exile on Main Street bonus disc, recorded 1972, released 2010)
11.05 -- Gregg -- Long Long While (B-Side of Paint It Black, 1966)
11.06 -- DMT -- Prodigal Son (Beggars Banquet, 1968)
11.07 -- Mith -- If You Can't Rock Me (It's Only Rock 'N Roll, 1974)
11.08 -- Revo -- Respectable (Some Girls, 1978)
11.09 -- Pip -- Hand of Fate (Black and Blue, 1976)
11.10 -- Fresno Bob -- Sister Morphine (Sticky Fingers, 1971)
12.01 -- Fresno Bob -- Almost Hear You Sigh (Steel Wheels, 1989)
12.02 -- Pip -- Criss Cross (unreleased, recorded in 1972)
12.03 -- Revo -- Hey Negrita (Black and Blue, 1976)
12.04 -- Mith -- Too Tough (Undercover, 1983)
12.05 -- DMT -- Dancing in the Light (Exile on Main Street bonus disc, recorded 1972, released 2010)
12.06 -- Gregg -- I Wanna Be Your Man (non-album single, 1963)
12.07 -- Johnny -- Travelin' Man (unreleased, recorded in 1970)
12.08 -- Overkill -- Empty Heart (12x5, 1964)
12.09 -- Lucky -- Harlem Shuffle (Dirty Work, 1986)
12.10 -- Sheep -- Child of the Moon (B-Side of Jumpin' Jack Flash, 1968)

Someone made the point on CNN that for most bands the rhythm section is the drums and bass, but with the Stones it was always Watts and Richards. I thought that was interesting.

If there is a Heaven, then by all accounts Charlie is there. But Keith Moon? I kind of get the feeling that he and John Bonham are elsewhere…
There is no heaven, okay, tim? Call it Talent Heaven or whatever you want. They're drumming there. In unison. And I'll get to see it. What's my talent? Oh ho, you name it!

Couple things...

My dad is a HUGE Beatles fan.  So I grew up listening to more Beatles than Stones.....that said, I'll take the Stones, at their peak, in all their grit, every time over the Beatles.  Sticky Fingers is in my top 5 albums of all time.....I love that the OP has Can't you hear me knockin at #2....it's prolly my #1.  Sister Morphine is right up there for me, as well as Moonlight Mile......Wild Horses....my wife walked down the aisle to that one!

Just discovered this threat existed and can't wait to get into it. Looking at the list in the original post, I love seeing Dead Flowers, Loving Cup, and Can't You Hear Me Knocking near the top. Rip This Joint and Silver Train are a couple that caught my eye as being quite underrated on initial look, but the one travesty I saw was having Salt of the Earth so low. That would be Top 10 for me. Looking forward to getting into this more in upcoming days and reading everyone's comments.

53. Tumbling Dice

Year:

US Album: Exile on Main St.

“Always in a hurry, I never stop to worry,
Don't you see the time flashin' by.
Honey, got no money,
I'm all sixes and sevens and nines.
Say now baby, I'm the rank outsider,
You can be my partner in crime.”

This song, like most of Exile, was recorded in a basement in Keith’s French chateau. The band would sleep all day and record all night with whoever was around. Bill Wyman showed up a little late to this session to find Mick Taylor playing bass. He hung around until 3:00 am and then left and does not appear on the song.

It’s a boogie based number with a non-traditional lyrical structure. Most songs have the same number of lines for the verse and for the chorus. The first verse of this song has eight lines, the second verse has six lines, and the last verse has two lines.

This is also the only song where Charlie overdubbed a second drum part to create a bigger drum sound. It was also later revealed that Jimmy Miller stepped in on drums to complete the song’s coda because Charlie left in frustration that he could not get it right.

As with most of the record it’s Bobby Keys (saxophone) and Jim Price (trumpet and trombone) on the horns.

Wow. Making my way through all the commentary and didn't notice this one when I first scanned the list. This is a shocker for me. I would have thought it was a stone cold lock for top 25 and imagined it would be Top 10. This has to be the "Penny Lane" of this list.

Users who are viewing this thread