What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Indefinite New England Patriots Thread (7 Viewers)

I have this feeling in my gut that Revis goes back to the Jets and we end up with some bargain basement jags (insert name here) when this is all said and done.I refuse to get excited about anything regardless of speculation until the ink is dry. The Pats and Bruins I swear have the same war room.
No way is Revis going back to the Jets, he might not end up in NE but I can't see him going back to NY.
My guess is Revis is like Ty Law and he's gonna go to whoever pays him the most money...
Gotta feed my family!

He will be the guy who catches 100 passes this year.

Ben Volin@BenVolin 12m
Lost in the shuffle: $2m of Danny Amendola's $3m base salary became guaranteed yesterday. He does have offsets, but it means he likely stays
If he could stay healthy. But he can't.
A player who gets hurt a lot means does not mean they have no chance to be healthy. He enters this season with the same chances to get hurt as anyone else. Edelman seemed to always get hurt, stays healthy one year and now he is the poster child for health. The short memories in the football world. Amendola is the better player and its not a question. Would of been a waste on Edelman.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ben Volin@BenVolin 12m
Lost in the shuffle: $2m of Danny Amendola's $3m base salary became guaranteed yesterday. He does have offsets, but it means he likely stays
A player who gets hurt a lot means does not mean they have no chance to be healthy. He enters this season with the same chances to get hurt as anyone else. Edelman seemed to always get hurt, stays healthy one year and now he is the poster child for health. The short memories in the football world. Amendola is the better player and its not a question. Would of been a waste on Edelman.
Why is Amendola better than Edelman...what has he done to prove that...has he had better #'s than Edelman did last year...has he played a full year like Edelman did last year...does he have Brady's trust like Edelman (check out the targets in the Denver playoff loss)...has he proven to be an excellent punt returner...the Pats may have made their bed by over-paying Amendola last year and he still could blossom but right now he has not shown he is a better player than Edelman or a better fit in the Patriot offense than Edelman is...

Ben Volin@BenVolin 12m
Why is Amendola better than Edelman...what has he done to prove that...has he had better #'s than Edelman did last year...has he played a full year like Edelman did last year...does he have Brady's trust like Edelman (check out the targets in the Denver playoff loss)...has he proven to be an excellent punt returner...the Pats may have made their bed by over-paying Amendola last year and he still could blossom but right now he has not shown he is a better player than Edelman or a better fit in the Patriot offense than Edelman is...
Why do people play through injuries if they get no respect for it? What did Edelman do in his 4 years prior to last year, did he have more catches than Amendola? Amendola had more catches by his second year the Edelman had in his career up to last year. Remember the reason Edelman saw the field was because Amendola got hurt and still toughed it out for his team and still played through a major groin injury.

How did Amendola look in game one before he got his injury, like the real deal huh? Had 5 more targets than Edelman and more catches, but hurt his groin that game and people can clearly see the difference. Amendola played three less games than Edelman and put up 3 games of 100 yards or more to Edelmans 4.

Edelman was a product of the position, Amendola has talent. Edelman caught 105 balls and only got 1056 yards, that doesn't scream explosive talent, that screams catches the ball and gets down. Anyone can do that, Amendola if healthy would do better.

Ben Volin@BenVolin 12m
:goodposting:

He certainly might be better than Edelman, but it's laughable to say "it's not a question".

I have this feeling in my gut that Revis goes back to the Jets and we end up with some bargain basement jags (insert name here) when this is all said and done.I refuse to get excited about anything regardless of speculation until the ink is dry. The Pats and Bruins I swear have the same war room.
No way is Revis going back to the Jets, he might not end up in NE but I can't see him going back to NY.
My guess is Revis is like Ty Law and he's gonna go to whoever pays him the most money...
Which isn't going to be the Pats. This is ####ed. We should have kept Talib.

Ben Volin@BenVolin 12m

He certainly might be better than Edelman, but it's laughable to say "it's not a question".
I think its just as laughable to think Edelman is anything more than a product of the system. Amendola showed talent before he was on the Patriots. Edelman is so great he never had over 37 catches before last year. If he is more talented why did he never get a shot before the Amendola injury and why did they sign Amendola in the first place? Further more if he is so great why did they decide to let Edelman test free agency and keep Amendola on a 2 mil salary guaranteed?

Ben Volin@BenVolin 12m
Why do people play through injuries if they get no respect for it? What did Edelman do in his 4 years prior to last year, did he have more catches than Amendola? Amendola had more catches by his second year the Edelman had in his career up to last year. Remember the reason Edelman saw the field was because Amendola got hurt and still toughed it out for his team and still played through a major groin injury.

How did Amendola look in game one before he got his injury, like the real deal huh? Had 5 more targets than Edelman and more catches, but hurt his groin that game and people can clearly see the difference. Amendola played three less games than Edelman and put up 3 games of 100 yards or more to Edelmans 4.

Edelman was a product of the position, Amendola has talent. Edelman caught 105 balls and only got 1056 yards, that doesn't scream explosive talent, that screams catches the ball and gets down. Anyone can do that, Amendola if healthy would do better.
We are going to agree to disagree because you have zero respect for Edelman...when Gronk went down he was pretty much their only weapon...defenses knew Brady was going to him and he still produced...if you look at the history of Patriot WRS there are far more busts than success stories...far more...if Brady does not trust you and you don't fit into their system you are DOA...I think there are too many people discounting this fact and due to that are minimizing what Edelman brings to the table...as for Amendola I am definitely willing to cut him some slack...the early-season groin injury seemed to plague his whole season and he could possibly duplicate Edelman's production (although they still probably take a step back on special teams)...yet, until I see him healthy for a full 16 and having Brady's trust (and what else the Pats do at TE and WR) I am nervous about their receiving unit...

Not for the money the Broncos threw at him.

Ben Volin@BenVolin 12m

We are going to agree to disagree because you have zero respect for Edelman...when Gronk went down he was pretty much their only weapon...defenses knew Brady was going to him and he still produced...if you look at the history of Patriot WRS there are far more busts than success stories...far more...if Brady does not trust you and you don't fit into their system you are DOA...I think there are too many people discounting this fact and due to that are minimizing what Edelman brings to the table...as for Amendola I am definitely willing to cut him some slack...the early-season groin injury seemed to plague his whole season and he could possibly duplicate Edelman's production (although they still probably take a step back on special teams)...yet, until I see him healthy for a full 16 and having Brady's trust (and what else the Pats do at TE and WR) I am nervous about their receiving unit...
I like Edelman, have him on one of my rosters, have Amendola too. I'm just reasonable and understand that a player who catches a lot of passes because of a system does not equal a better player or more talented, explain why Welker didn't have 100 catches with the Broncos? Because he wasn't in the Patriots system.

Also, I keep seeing this product of the system like there's a lengthy history of guys producing like Edelman did...you had Troy Brown early in Brady's career, Welker's great run and one year of Edelman (who by the way was in the Pats system for three years learning their system as he converted from QB)...this is just not some huge sample size...there is no evidence that this is merely a plug and play...also Edelman played 51% of his snaps on the outside so he wasn't merely a slot guy...

I've heard it before. I'm not interested in getting great value on a bunch of guys that won't help us. Brady is running out of time.

Ben Volin@BenVolin 12m

I think its just as laughable to think Edelman is anything more than a product of the system. Amendola showed talent before he was on the Patriots. Edelman is so great he never had over 37 catches before last year. If he is more talented why did he never get a shot before the Amendola injury and why did they sign Amendola in the first place? Further more if he is so great why did they decide to let Edelman test free agency and keep Amendola on a 2 mil salary guaranteed?
Your reading comprehension is awful. I never said Edelman is so great, or that he's better than Amendola.

I've heard it before. I'm not interested in getting great value on a bunch of guys that won't help us. Brady is running out of time.
If the Pats sign Revis, everyone will forget about Talib.

Ben Volin@BenVolin 12m

I like Edelman, have him on one of my rosters, have Amendola too. I'm just reasonable and understand that a player who catches a lot of passes because of a system does not equal a better player or more talented, explain why Welker didn't have 100 catches with the Broncos? Because he wasn't in the Patriots system.
He had 73 while missing three games...he also had to share catches with Julius Thomas, Demaryuis Thomas, Eric Decker and Knowshon Moreno...I think he gave Denver exactly what they were looking for...

If the Pats sign Revis, everyone will forget about Talib.
I'll be shocked if Revis decides to not insist on a ridiculous contract, which is going to cost a #### ton more than Talib did.

Ben Volin@BenVolin 12m

He had 83 while missing three games...he also played had to share catches with Julius Thomas, Demaryuis Thomas, Eric Decker and Knowshon Moreno...I think he gave Denver exactly what they were looking for...
Thanks for making my point that he wasnt in the same system.

Ben Volin@BenVolin 12m

He had 83 while missing three games...he also played had to share catches with Julius Thomas, Demaryuis Thomas, Eric Decker and Knowshon Moreno...I think he gave Denver exactly what they were looking for...
If I had a clue what you meant I would thank you...

Ben Volin@BenVolin 12m

If I had a clue what you meant I would thank you...
Point, the NE slot receiver is a productive position and players will not reach same stats elsewhere. Welker will never produce like he has in New England, Edelman will not produce anywhere else like he did last year. A deaf and blind person can be a slot WR in NE and catch 100 balls. Do you get my point now?

The system is what matters in New England, not the slot WR. Edelman, Amendola, Sanders, even a rookie, will all come close to catching 100 if not more passes in this system. You would catch 100 passes in this system.

Welker had more TDs in Denver than in any season with the Pats...if he played a 16 games he catches 90 balls while playing with an O with a ton of weapons...he averaged 10.7 YPC which is more than he had in three of his seasons with the Pats...not sure how this shows he is a product of the Patriot system...he's a very good player who fit the Patriot system perfectly but that doesn't mean any guy can step in and do it...I think the point you are missing (and it is a very big one) is while the Pats have a system and some guys can thrive in it there is a long line of players (not just at WR...take a look at CB) who simply did not fit the Patriot system and fall flat on their face...so while a guy may go elsewhere and not be very productive it also means a superior physical talent may come in and do worse as well...you are right in that with the Pats it is all about the system but you are dead wrong thinking anyone can transition into it...

So Welker and Talib now go to the Broncos, who again look at the dregs.... I can't wait till they trade down in the draft for a couple of 5th rounders!! Yeah! Belichick's arrogance makes him blind and Kraft does nothing but count his money. A team like SEATTLE, yes, SEATTLE gets stronger while the Pats sink further into a teasing mediocrity cleverly disguised in 12-4 records. Brady's window is covered in bird poop!!!

So Welker and Talib now go to the Broncos, who again look at the dregs.... I can't wait till they trade down in the draft for a couple of 5th rounders!! Yeah! Belichick's arrogance makes him blind and Kraft does nothing but count his money. A team like SEATTLE, yes, SEATTLE gets stronger while the Pats sink further into a teasing mediocrity cleverly disguised in 12-4 records. Brady's window is covered in bird poop!!!
Yeah, who wants a consistent 12-4 record every year?

Signed,

Lions, Browns, Jaguars, Redskins, Raiders, Vikings, Dolphins, Bills, Buccs, Jets, Titans, Cowboys, Giants, Eagles, Bears, Falcons, Cardinals, Texans, Chargers and any other team that wishes to win 12 games consistently.

Geez, settle down. Free agency has just started. Still a lot of guys who can help tremendously out there.

Boston said:
Also, I keep seeing this product of the system like there's a lengthy history of guys producing like Edelman did...you had Troy Brown early in Brady's career, Welker's great run and one year of Edelman (who by the way was in the Pats system for three years learning their system as he converted from QB)...this is just not some huge sample size...there is no evidence that this is merely a plug and play...also Edelman played 51% of his snaps on the outside so he wasn't merely a slot guy...
I still think slot receiver in NE = decent production and that it is mostly the system and not the individual players involved. When the Pats have featured a guy in the slot, they have big reception totals. Brown: 83, 101, and 97 catches. Welker: 112, 111, 123, 86, 122, and 118 catches. Edelman: 105 catches.

Not sure how they determine snap percentage, but I remember tons of plays where Edelman lined up in one spot and either moved or went in motion back to toward the line of scrimmage. Not sure if those count as outside receiver or slot receiver snaps.

I'm not dissing Welker, as he obviously was fantastic, and I'm not shooting down Edelman, as he did a good job as the only consistently healthy receiving option the team had last year. But I would never put Brown, Welker, or Edelman in the uber elite receiver category with the Rice's, Owens', Moss', Fitzgerald's, or Megatron's of the world. As I mentioned either here or in other threads, any player that gets force fed 150-180 targets is going to get a ton of catches. It's not a guarantee that "NE slot WR" automatically gets 90 or 100 catches, but I don't think it is out of line to expect that from whoever that player is (if healthy).

I for one am glad Talib is long gone after watching him not willing to gut out playing in the AFCG. The guy is soft and his bum hip isn't going to get better going forward. GL to Denver with him. I'm anxiously awaiting the peanut Tillman signing followed up by LaFell. That should set us up for another title run.

Does this team have any choice but burn some high picks on wr/te in May? Our receiving corps is pathetic and Steve Smith or Nicks isn't going to change that. All I see are glaring holes at wr/te, D-line, LB, safety and cb and every day that goes by the talent pool will diminish. How this team can't have tons of cap room is beyond me?

ROCKET said:
That's how I handle it, too. Expect nothing or you'll be frustrated as hell. Then, if a big name lands in NE, you get to be super elated.

Boston said:
Baloney Sandwich said:
ROCKET said:
He's made some big money already. I would be surprised to see him restructure and leave a little on the table to play for the right team. He'll still make huge money. The question is whether or not NE would be the "right team" to him.

Okay Pats, go get Revis and Peppers!!!

I will happily eat my words about the front office!!

Maybe the Pats go after Decker as pay back for the Welker signing last year? I know it is not BB's style, but Brady needs some help on the edges IMO.

Dobson, Amendola, Boyce and Thompkins. We have not even seen the full potential of these guys. Dobson was hurt he could still be the guy you are looking for on the outside. I would take my shot in the draft on a high upside guy late in Rd. 1 like Cooks or Beckham and be happy with this core and its youth with upside.

I for one am glad Talib is long gone after watching him not willing to gut out playing in the AFCG. The guy is soft and his bum hip isn't going to get better going forward. GL to Denver with him. I'm anxiously awaiting the peanut Tillman signing followed up by LaFell. That should set us up for another title run.

Does this team have any choice but burn some high picks on wr/te in May? Our receiving corps is pathetic and Steve Smith or Nicks isn't going to change that. All I see are glaring holes at wr/te, D-line, LB, safety and cb and every day that goes by the talent pool will diminish. How this team can't have tons of cap room is beyond me?
I love this time of year. The sky is always falling for Pats fans. Talk radio these days is priceless. People are ready to jump off a cliff. To listen to all the whining and complaining and all the glaring weaknesses, you would think the team was coming off back-to-back-to-back 5-11 seasons.

Having several star players is a nice thing to have, but many times depth is what wins more than just star power. NE will do what they always do. Maybe get in on one top tier free agent and then stockpile a bunch of vets or guys coming off of injuries on prove it to me deals. Unless Edelman comes back at a reasonable price, I think they can get his production elsewhere or in house without breaking the bank. Emmanuel Sanders is another option that could be an option.

I agree that they seem to fall a player or two short at the end of the season, but let's not forget how many injuries they've had and to key players at that. Record wise, I don't see NE being any worse than last year. With some help from FAs or the draft, coupled with guys returning healthy that were out much of the year, NE should still be in the AFCC game. You gotta be in it to win it, and who's healthy at the end of the year will play a key role in how far they advance.

Signed,

Lions, Browns, Jaguars, Redskins, Raiders, Vikings, Dolphins, Bills, Buccs, Jets, Titans, Cowboys, Giants, Eagles, Bears, Falcons, Cardinals, Texans, Chargers and any other team that wishes to win 12 games consistently.
Easy to get 12 wins every year when the other 3 teams in the division have sucked for the entire decade. Amazing how bad the Fins, Bills and Jets have been in terms of getting a decent Qb for the last 10+ years.

Rather have Revis and some WR help.
What about Rodgers-Cromartie, or Antonio Cromartie wouldn't they be cheaper and then resign Edelmen?There is a reason they are cheaper...Revis is the best...
I understand he is better then those guys but depth is the name of the game in the NFL. I would rather have a starting corner, another receiver and a pass rusher then just Revis

Signed,

Easy to get 12 wins every year when the other 3 teams in the division have sucked for the entire decade. Amazing how bad the Fins, Bills and Jets have been in terms of getting a decent Qb for the last 10+ years.
I can't find the thread but I believe it was posted in the AFC East was the worst division in football thread last year. The AFC East had one of the best winning percentages outside of the division since 2000. So this isn't true at all.

Rather have Revis and some WR help.
What about Rodgers-Cromartie, or Antonio Cromartie wouldn't they be cheaper and then resign Edelmen?

There is a reason they are cheaper...Revis is the best...
I understand he is better then those guys but depth is the name of the game in the NFL. I would rather have a starting corner, another receiver and a pass rusher then just Revis
It's depth and stars...the Pats have depth and that is necessary to get thru 16 games but come playoffs you need some top-end studs to get you over the hump and the Pats need help in that area...if not you can pencil them in for a 12-4 season with no championship...and one year closer to the end of the Brady era...

Personally think it would be a hugely successful free agency to get Revis and one of Nicks, Edelman or Decker.
I still think if (and trust me, this is a HUGE if) Gronk, Amendola, new WR or Dobson, and Vereen are all healthy Edelman sees a fraction of the targets he saw last year and at best becomes a 40-50 catch guy with 400-500 receiving yards. He was a good soldier last year, but IMO he was the only guy that suited up every week and otherwise not hobbled. That led to him catching 105 balls more than anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread