What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Intentional Grounding (1 Viewer)

whoa, well why the f isn't it called?
If you're outside of the tackle box it's not grounding. Ball also needs to make it back to LOS. Problem with the rule is that a WR needs to be "in the area" which is a pretty much left up to referee interpretation and is given a lot of leeway.

yeah, I understand the rule and the op was facetious. the rule has been phased out almost completely.

unless 'a receiver in the area' is defined by a receiver somewhere on the field. or the sideline. or within county limits. then the rule is ignored week after week. you could possibly get tanked if you played a drinking game while watching a ne game where you take a drink when a clear grounding goes uncalled.  that's the extreme. but most games every week have a grounding that's uncalled.

just part of the new nfl I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's sometimes a judgment call. If a guy is getting hit while he's throwing it's pretty hard to call grounding. 

I know what you're saying though. 

It is so frustrating when this is not called.  

Today San Diego was down near the 5 yard line.  The DE came in unblocked and Rivers launched the ball out the back of the end zone.  The play happened so quickly the SD wr's had barely advanced from the line of scrimmage and the ball sailed into the stands.  The pass was obviously thrown away and Rivers had not moved from where he took the snap (meaning still between the tackles).  So how is that not intentional grounding?  

Not sure why but football has never call intentional grounding on the throw out of the back of the endzone.

Users who are viewing this thread