What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Donte Whitner a top 10 pick? (1 Viewer)

GroveDiesel

Footballguy
Mike Mayok has him going to the Bills at #8. :eek: :X

LINK

The Bills could use a safety, but I haven't heard anyone say anything that would make me think that Whitner would be a top 10 pick. :confused:

LINK

The Bills could use a safety, but I haven't heard anyone say anything that would make me think that Whitner would be a top 10 pick. :confused:
imho that is too high, i actually would like to see him selected by Denver at #15, but thought that may be too high. I see him going in the late teens. If someone jumps up and takes him, great, that just bumps another good player down a notch so Denver can take them.

LINK

The guy can tackle anybody anywhere on the field. Problem is he can't cover well enough to warrant this high of a pick.

LINK

Huge Buckeye Fanno

Personally I think he could have used another year in school.

he's good but only good. Very good fundamentals and a film room junkie. Nothing spectacular. However, like almost every Buckeye DB coming out as of late, he'll make a solid addition. Just not worth a top 10 pick. I would have pegged him as a nice value pick in the second or even third round. The hype this guy has generated from a couple work outs and interviews is amazing.

Again, I think he'll make a great addition to a team but not for the draft pick and money a team is going to pay for him.

Whitner has the makings of being a quality NFL starting safety. He could even sneak into a few Pro Bowls if he ends up in the right situation. Yet, I think drafting him at #8 is a reach. It's not getting the proper bang for your buck. Especially when the draft board looks very promising at #8. There are quite a few solid prospects in that area.

Last edited by a moderator:
well, if hes they guy they want, they have to take him
We could have traded down half a dozen picks and gotten him.
maybe in your Fantasy Football worldwho had Simms going that high?

Simply, we dont know where he will go or who wants him. You cant fault someone taking Steven Jackson with the 4th pick in your fantasy draft if that is who they wanted

Sims was not going to fall much further, IMO.

I think the Bills could have traded down to #13 or so and still got him.

And even if Whitner DID go before it got back to us, we could still have gone D-line. No matter how you cut it, the Bills did not get value on this pick. And this team desperately needs every ounce of value it can squeeze out of each pick.

And even if Whitner DID go before it got back to us, we could still have gone D-line. No matter how you cut it, the Bills did not get value on this pick. And this team desperately needs every ounce of value it can squeeze out of each pick.
Im not trying to start a fight here, but this isnt VBD, this is the NFL draft. As noted on the NFL Network, Buf has had a lot of success with OSU DBs. This may be another chapter in that book

Im not trying to start a fight here, but this isnt VBD, this is the NFL draft. As noted on the NFL Network, Buf has had a lot of success with OSU DBs. This may be another chapter in that book
I'm not trying to start a fight either. If I come off as snippy it's just because I'm obviously a little disappointed with this pick. It's not directed at you. I don't have a thing against Donte Whitner. I like what I read about him in scouting reports, and I'm looking forward to seeing him play. I just really wish we had traded down.

I'm not trying to start a fight either. If I come off as snippy it's just because I'm obviously a little disappointed with this pick. It's not directed at you. I don't have a thing against Donte Whitner. I like what I read about him in scouting reports, and I'm looking forward to seeing him play. I just really wish we had traded down.
its not a reach to say Buf did not have any takers to trade down that put them in a spot to still draft him.

its not a reach to say Buf did not have any takers to trade down that put them in a spot to still draft him.
we don't know what kind of offers they were getting, but ESPN did report that the Broncos and another team or two were interested in moving up.

we don't know what kind of offers they were getting, but ESPN did report that the Broncos and another team or two were interested in moving up.
I agree :)

I still really wish the Bills would have traded down or taken Bunkley. But after reading more about Whitner, I'm not too upset. He sounds like a perfect Cover 2 guy. He has tremendous speed, makes excellent reads, can cover a bit, can make the big hit. His only knock seems to be his size. I can accept that. Huff would have been even better and I think that Buffalo really thought that Huff would be there for them and panicked when Oakland took him. I can imagine there was some seriously salty language thrown around when the Raiders made their pick.

Again, I still wish that they could have traded down, but there's no telling what they were offered. Maybe they were only offered a 4th or 5th rounder, they really wanted Whitner and thought that the Lions may take him. :shrug:

At this point there's no reason to hate on Whitner. I'm just going to hope that he turns out to be a big time player and I'll forget about the fact that the Bills could have added another 3rd round pick.

Whitner's draft profile from NFL.com:

Whitner is a junior who came out early for the NFL draft and is one of the better safeties available. Is a very good athlete with the natural explosiveness and playing speed to fly to the ball to make plays from sideline to sideline. Plays with the attacking, aggressive style that is hard to find, and it enables him to consistently play bigger than his size. Flies up in run support. On passes in front of him, will bend knees, get low and drive up into the ball carrier to make the hard hit. Is a versatile safety that has experience lining up in a variety of different alignments, which will offer his team the opportunity to move him around and use a variety of different defenses without having to substitute personnel. Overall, Whitner is probably going to slip lower in the draft than his production warrants, but it is due to his lack of size. He is going to be a good all-around starting safety in the NFL who consistently makes plays all over the field, against the run and the pass. Additionally, he will be a very good special teams player in the NFL.

You know, Winston Justice is still out there. That had been talk about the Bills making a trade with the Bears for the 26th pick. If the Bills trade up and end up with Justice and Whitner, would Bills fans still be as upset?

You know, Winston Justice is still out there. That had been talk about the Bills making a trade with the Bears for the 26th pick. If the Bills trade up and end up with Justice and Whitner, would Bills fans still be as upset?
Yeah because they are probably dumb enough to deal their 1st next year along with a 3rd this year to do it. Remember Losman? Wilson really needs to clear house.

as far as I'm concerned, they need to get a DT and OT who can compete for a starting spot right away somewhere in this draft. I figured a top-10 pick would be the best way to do that, but maybe they really like some guys who will be available in the 2nd and 3rd.

either way, Whitner was a luxury pick. Taking the 2nd safety off the board in the top-10 of one of the best drafts in awhile is baffling.

Users who are viewing this thread