What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is it Me, Or is this the Nuttiest Off-Season in Recent Memory? (1 Viewer)

I saw that, too, Kaepernick would be an interesting signing. He's not too old for a QB. You just wonder where his head is at and whether he's developed as a QB since his last tour of the league. 

I will refrain from any comment about his politics or sociological outlook, but the circus is in town if he is. On all sides. 

I saw that, too, Kaepernick would be an interesting signing. He's not too old for a QB. You just wonder where his head is at and whether he's developed as a QB since his last tour of the league. 

I will refrain from any comment about his politics or sociological outlook, but the circus is in town if he is. On all sides. 
11 years younger than Brady. 

I don’t care what anyone’s politics are, Kaep facing the Niners 2x this year would be highly entertaining. 

Equally nutty to the things that have happened are some of the things that haven’t. 

• JJSS remains unsigned. A 25 year old WR capable of making all the tough catches & I haven’t heard a peep of interest. Christian Kirk got a 74M base salary & Juju isn’t signed yet? 

• Lenny & RoJo are both still unemployed. Lots of bit players like Bolden, White & others have been signed. Chase Edmonds was signed. Is the NFL going on a “worst to first” system here and didn’t tell anyone? 

• Obviously QBs are on hold league-wide until we see what happens with Watson. 

there are so many players I expected to see locked up by now just chillin. It’s weird. 

Hot Sauce Guy said:
Equally nutty to the things that have happened are some of the things that haven’t. 

• JJSS remains unsigned. A 25 year old WR capable of making all the tough catches & I haven’t heard a peep of interest. Christian Kirk got a 74M base salary & Juju isn’t signed yet? 

• Lenny & RoJo are both still unemployed. Lots of bit players like Bolden, White & others have been signed. Chase Edmonds was signed. Is the NFL going on a “worst to first” system here and didn’t tell anyone? 

• Obviously QBs are on hold league-wide until we see what happens with Watson. 

there are so many players I expected to see locked up by now just chillin. It’s weird. 
Not surprised by JuJu. His last good season was 2018. He instantly became the #3 in Pittsburgh, and its not like Diontae Johnson or Chase Claypool are elite players. I'd rather sign a guy like Landry, who does all the same things(arguably better) and won't count against the comp pick formula. 

With a bunch of impact FAs still on the board, plus the biggest spin of the QB carousel, not to mention the Draft,

I can definitely say this has been the nuttiest off-season of my rapidly long lifetime. Whoa to the Joe, yo. Good call, Hot Sauce.

With a bunch of impact FAs still on the board, plus the biggest spin of the QB carousel, not to mention the Draft,

I can definitely say this has been the nuttiest off-season of my rapidly long lifetime. Whoa to the Joe, yo. Good call, Hot Sauce.
It’s the most interesting and entertaining offseason that I can remember too and I’m no spring chicken.  

:hifive:

it’s highly entertaining. I’ve never seen this forum so active in March before.

A good QB would have won it. :shrug:
Better playcalling would have won it. 

You must be forgetting that it was 90% Kaepernick's legs that brought them 70+yards downfield to the red zone, where Harbaugh tried 4x to get the DPI call instead of just letting Kaep run it in, as he'd been so successful doing the entire drive. 

Kaep was 16/28 for 302 PaYd, 1/1; and ran for 62 yards and a touchdown in that game. 

You go on pretending those numbers are somehow sub-par & I'll keep living in reality. 

Anyway, this isn't the Kaepernick topic. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Better playcalling would have won it. 

You must be forgetting that it was 90% Kaepernick's legs that brought them 70+yards downfield to the red zone, where Harbaugh tried 4x to get the DPI call instead of just letting Kaep run it in, as he'd been so successful doing the entire drive. 

Kaep was 16/28 for 302 PaYd, 1/1; and ran for 62 yards and a touchdown in that game. 

You go on pretending those numbers are somehow sub-par & I'll keep living in reality. 

Anyway, this isn't the Kaepernick topic. Maybe troll somewhere else. :thumbup:

You say he was a good QB.   I say he wasn't.  Trolling?

He was a losing QB that got run out of the league because his talent couldn't even overcome the bad press of kneeling on the sidelines.  Simple as that.

You say he was a good QB.   I say he wasn't.  Trolling?

He was a losing QB that got run out of the league because his talent couldn't even overcome the bad press of kneeling on the sidelines.  Simple as that.
If you're saying a QB who threw for 300+ 1/1 and ran 60+/1 sucks, then obviously you're trolling, because that's out of synch with reality. 

Bringing up his kneeling cements it. 

And that you're doing it on a topic that's not about Kaepernick seals it. 

If you're saying a QB who threw for 300+ 1/1 and ran 60+/1 sucks, then obviously you're trolling, because that's out of synch with reality. 

Bringing up his kneeling cements it. 

And that you're doing it on a topic that's not about Kaepernick seals it. 

You posting one game's stats versus his career of less than mediocre stats.... sorry, gotta point the trolling stick at you now.  :lmao:  

You posting one game's stats versus his career of less than mediocre stats.... sorry, gotta point the trolling stick at you now.  :lmao:  
You said that "a good QB would have won the SB"

So I posted his SB stats. 

Context is a thing that happens. 

You said that "a better QB would have won the SB"

So I posted his SB stats. 

Context is a thing that happens. 

Context.

Kaep got run out of the league for kneeling and a bad press conference.

Good players remain in the league after beating women, sexual assault, drug offenses, DUI's, and on and on........ but Kaep's "talent" couldn't overcome kneeling.

Kaepernick was a QB like Vick (dog abuse) Newton (injury, scheme, subpar throwing) Griffin III (inevitable injury)  They were successful until suddenly they were not. He overshadowed his success on the field with his politics when he began to lose. He was not awful he was not great at the end. He was JAG who wouldn't put team before his beliefs and morals. IT HAPPENS. He may have done more good than all the NFL charity's put together. He may have not. He made his choice and this is the result. Who are we to say it was not best for him and the NFL?  

Wasn’t he 1-15 his last time out?

Not showing up for his scheduled workout didn’t speak much for his commitment level.

If he was in town, I would give him a workout, but I am not sure if it’s worth the cost to fly him in for a workout. 

Not showing up for his scheduled workout didn’t speak much for his commitment level.

If he was in town, I would give him a workout, but I am not sure if it’s worth the cost to fly him in for a workout. 
He was terrible. 

but he was great in the Super Bowl.

i try not to let his personal politics taint my opinion of him in that game. 

I am not really up for drudging up stuff on CK. But the reason he didn't show up for the special NFL sanctioned 32-team workout was due to them trying to make him sign a document that said he could not participate unless he dropped any current lawsuits against the league and waived his right to sue them in the future. No player in the history of the league that ever had a tryout had to sign such a document.

I was wondering this as well - IMO it's to rehab his value for his next big contract. Who better to do that with than the Chiefs? 

That's the only explanation. 
The explanation is no team wanted to give him a multi-year deal for the amount that he felt he is worth (last year or this year). As of now, he's had one great season and 4 nowhere near as good as that one. 

The explanation is no team wanted to give him a multi-year deal for the amount that he felt he is worth (last year or this year). As of now, he's had one great season and 4 nowhere near as good as that one. 
That’s also possible. But my explanation is better. 😉

The contract details reveal he is nowhere close to playing for $10.75M. He gets a signing bonus of $1.455 million, a guaranteed base salary of $1.035 million, and a roster / workout bonus for $400,000. Essentially, he is playing for $2.89M. There are $7.5M in incentives, and he will get a per game bonus of $30K. $2 million of the incentive pay is based on the Chiefs reaching the AFC Championship game.

The contract details reveal he is nowhere close to playing for $10.75M. He gets a signing bonus of $1.455 million, a guaranteed base salary of $1.035 million, and a roster / workout bonus for $400,000. Essentially, he is playing for $2.89M. There are $7.5M in incentives, and he will get a per game bonus of $30K. $2 million of the incentive pay is based on the Chiefs reaching the AFC Championship game.
It’s a “prove-it” deal, and IMO Juju will deliver on it. 

To the original post, I think it has to do with three things primarily.  And it shows how desperate teams are for QBs these days ....

1)  Deshaun Watson.  His status being an unknown and then (magically??) just before free agency criminal charges are all dropped.  So that's $50M/year + high draft picks

2)  Aaron Rodgers.  Dude is a menace to the league.  I'm leaving.  I'm not leaving.  I want more money.  I'm not in it for the money.  Good grief.  So infatuated with himself.  And that trickled down to Russell Wilson getting his own monster trade/contract.  Rodgers is skilled player, but I hope he loses every game the rest of his life.  My disdain for players so in need of attention is high

3)  Salary cap.  Probably the biggest driver.   None of this is possible if the salary cap isn't jumping.  Rodgers, Wilson, Watson, Mahommes last year ... all from salary cap increases and the ability to chase or lock up top 7 QBs.  Some other players got rich from this too, but the QBs are the big winners like always.

I agree and I can remember when people here said they'd take Watkins over Tyreek and part of that was the big contract that Watkins signed. It's not always as simple as "following the money".
yep, agreed. lets see if cheetah stays healthy.JuJu is better than anything else on the roster. clearly a 1b to cheetah's 1a. and he'll outperform the contract and get a massive payday next season, and go back to being a guy who can't play half the games.lol

Users who are viewing this thread