What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Johnathan Goff a 3 down 4-3 MIKE? (1 Viewer)

treat88

Footballguy
How confident are we that he's playing in a majority of sub-packages?

Seems like he might be flying very under the radar given his situation.

I'm pretty confident he is 3 down guy. I am high on him this year. IMO, very undervalued...

The Giants have used five DBs in almost every passing situation through the first three preseason games. Goff and Boley are the nickel backers, Kiwanuka drops down to a rush end. It's possible that changes when the corner situation settles, but I think it's unlikely that Amukamara gets healthy enough to force a tactical change to a dime package.

Losing Goff hurts the Giants more than Fantasy owners.

How about the Giants sign Tatupu after contracts aren't guaranteed?

Anyone think the rookie Greg Jones can take over in the MLB spot now that Goff is out for the year? I really liked his game in college...just not sure if he is ready or not for that responsiblity.

So much for that.

Will be interesting to see what happens to him in 2012, I believe he's a FA.

I think Jones starts this week since he was the backup, after that I don't know, depends how he does. Kind of surprised they didn't re-sign Dillard.

I assume Dillard will be brought back since he was the #2 MLB in camp, although maybe they have decided to move on and will look for help outside the organization. I'd be surprised if Kawika Mitchell is the answer for them at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone think the rookie Greg Jones can take over in the MLB spot now that Goff is out for the year? I really liked his game in college...just not sure if he is ready or not for that responsiblity.
I also watched Jones a lot in college and like his game. Physically, I believe he could be a stud. But can he figure out the mental part this early in his career. If he does, he could be a heck of a pickup. I have him stashed just in case.

I assume Dillard will be brought back since he was the #2 MLB in camp, although maybe they have decided to move on and will look for help outside the organization. I'd be surprised if Kawika Mitchell is the answer for them at this point.
Beat writer Tom Rock says the team feels Dillard was just too small and slow to play in the NFL. Looks like they will bring in Kawika for a look. Tatupu and Bulluck not on the short list at the moment according to Tom Rock.Seems Kawika has the lead as far as FAs because he played in Fewell's defense in Buffalo.

Last edited by a moderator:
G-men cursed this year or what? Thomas, Austin, Witherspoon, Jackson, Sintim, Goff gone. Amukamara, Osi out. Who's next?

My own personal guess: It's so close to the veteran salary lock date as well as the start of the season that the Giants will go into the tilt with Washington with Jones at MLB. Based on his performance that day they will decide if they can get buy with him for the season or see if they need to go out and find a vet.

Jones most likely will not be on passing downs.

So the only LB to own from the Giants is Michael Boley.

Jones most likely will not be on passing downs.So the only LB to own from the Giants is Michael Boley.
The same thought crossed my mind, but I'm not sure who else would come on. Boley is surely 3 down, but in the past Kiwi dropped down to Dline in some nickels with Goff and Boley in as the 2 LB's. Tuck or JPP drop inside to DT. If they keep this strat up who goes into the nickel LB role with Boley? Could be one of the other rookie LB's...but seems like Jones has as much chance as anyone to play 3 downs.

'Jestefarean said:
Jones most likely will not be on passing downs.So the only LB to own from the Giants is Michael Boley.
The same thought crossed my mind, but I'm not sure who else would come on. Boley is surely 3 down, but in the past Kiwi dropped down to Dline in some nickels with Goff and Boley in as the 2 LB's. Tuck or JPP drop inside to DT. If they keep this strat up who goes into the nickel LB role with Boley? Could be one of the other rookie LB's...but seems like Jones has as much chance as anyone to play 3 downs.
Fewell most likely will use 3 safeties on passing downs...Greg is supposed to be very good against the run but not against the pass. I project Greg for about 80 tackles or so?

Kiwanuka also has value, but it will fluctuate depending on league size/scoring system.
I think the kiwanuka experiment @LB is a failure but hey maybe he's figured things out this season..?
I know they are using Kiwi one 1st and 2nd downs as a SLB, and then moving him to DE on third down. That said, is he replacing someone at DE (Tuck or JPP), or are they somehow lining up 3 DEs in their nickle defense (and if so, how?).

Kiwanuka also has value, but it will fluctuate depending on league size/scoring system.
I think the kiwanuka experiment @LB is a failure but hey maybe he's figured things out this season..?
I know they are using Kiwi one 1st and 2nd downs as a SLB, and then moving him to DE on third down. That said, is he replacing someone at DE (Tuck or JPP), or are they somehow lining up 3 DEs in their nickle defense (and if so, how?).
Tuck generally moves inside.

where i don't expect Boley to put up stats as nice as his career year in Atlanta.........the injuries have me thinking this will be his best year as a Giant. even more responsibility and more will be needed of him

where i don't expect Boley to put up stats as nice as his career year in Atlanta.........the injuries have me thinking this will be his best year as a Giant. even more responsibility and more will be needed of him
Just play match ups on Boley. PHI would likely be horrible one while WAS and DAL mostly good

Tuck hurting still from a stinger in 3rd preseason game, might sit Sunday. If Tuck sits the Giants might go most of the game in nickel formation with Grant as the 3rd safety and Kiwi as DE.

Users who are viewing this thread