What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Justin Verlander a Hall of Famer? (1 Viewer)

Eephus

Footballguy
188-114, 3.46 ERA, 1.184 WHIP, 2416 SOs in 2545 IP, age 34, MVP and CYA in 2011

It's hard to accumulate traditional HoF credentials as a 21st century starting pitcher but his 56.9 rWAR (72nd all-time) which is 20 wins more than hall members Catfish Hunter and Bob Lemon.   The writers still value wins so ending up with around 230 will help his case a lot.

Verlander is neck and neck in WAR with Felix Hernandez but is three years older.  Verlander has 28 more wins against an identical number of losses.  King Felix has a career ERA of 3.20 but normalized for ballpark, that's around the same as Verlander's.

I'm a big hall guy so he'd definitely get my pretend vote.

This season put Sabathia over the 230 mark I threw out in the OP.    He has over 60 WAR but at 36, probably not as many in the future as Felix or JV.

Verlander has been more effective in the post-season in spite of their similar W/L records.  CC has a ring though.

It seems hard to put CC in if moose isn't in, no? On their numbers alone.

i was thinking about verlander when they showed that he has won rookie of the year, cya and mvp.  Pretty rare trifecta.  Who else has done that?

It seems hard to put CC in if moose isn't in, no? On their numbers alone.

i was thinking about verlander when they showed that he has won rookie of the year, cya and mvp.  Pretty rare trifecta.  Who else has done that?
I do think moose will get in eventually but cc was better than him on their best years. Remember the year cc carried the brewers to the playoffs?

Having  watched Verlander pitch his whole career I loved at how he never wanted to come out.  Up by one or down by 5 and over 100 pitches he would lobby to stay in every game and just hated to give the ball up.

Watching Sherzer in Detroit he was the exact opposite.  Max was a stat guy and would gladly give the ball up while ahead in the 5th or 6th to get a possible win, or tied and bases empty so he would not get the loss.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think almost certainly yes. This is a tough era for pitchers especially those who started with juiced players (now a juiced ball?) and smaller parks along with 6IP "complete games" and the like.

Without that context, I don't know that he meets the standards as those in the hall he may surpass in some metrics are folks that may or may not belong there. WITH that context his regular season stats make a strong arguement and likely yes.

Add the postseason, and it's an all but definite yes.

It's time for him to add a WS win to his resume. He's 0-3. 

I think he'll get in though if he doesn't. 

It would be nice if his team contributes as he has so far in order to win this series. But if he stays undefeated as an Astro it's kind of hard to pin it on him if they as a team don't win this one. One reason I don't look at rings as much as whether the player did his part.

A game 6 win for Houston could solidify it for him - just an outstanding contribution to the Astros, including this postseason.  I do hope he maintains his skills for another 4-5 years.

A game 6 win for Houston could solidify it for him - just an outstanding contribution to the Astros, including this postseason.  I do hope he maintains his skills for another 4-5 years.
It's time to earn history tonight. 

If he can throw a gem and get this team their first WS he'll be forever remembered for it. 

Hitting Utley with 2 strikes really was the turning point.  Looked like Utley was swinging a garden hose and had no chance to get a hit or on base.

If LA trades for him instead of Darvish they are champions right now. Astros probably don't beat the Yankees to even get to the series without him. 

If the Astros keep their core together I like his chances to get back. 

Users who are viewing this thread