What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is seeing an NFL game in person as horrible everywhere? (1 Viewer)

Ramsay Hunt Experience said:
I guess I'd always assumed that terrible game day experiences were confined to Redskins games. My brother and I had season tickets for one season before getting rid of them, because:

Fed Ex isn't near anything

Parking costs and arm and a leg and is nowhere near the stadium; getting out of the lot after a game takes several hours.

The Skins' "sellout" streak is maintained in part by having the stadium overrun by visiting fans. This is understandable for division games and with popular teams like the Steelers and Packers. Its kind of inexplicable with the Bucs or Bengals.

Drunk, belligerent people suck.

Having the stadium PA blare Who Let The Dogs Out on every decent defensive play (and informing you when its 3rd down) is excruciating (yes, this was over 10 years ago, but it doesn't appear to have gotten better).
Growing up in DC in the 80s, going to Redskins games at RFK was some of the most fun I had. Public transportation right to the stadium, sitting next to the same cool people you'd been sitting next to for years since everyone had owned their season tickets since the 60s, a tiny stadium with passionate fans cheering a winning team. Going to Fed Ex Field is the antithesis of this in every imaginable way.

I will never go there again - Washington went from having perhaps the best gameday atmosphere in the NFL to the worst.

Going to Ravens games is actually pretty fun. Great stadium, excellent atmosphere. But I disagree with the comment about there being relatively few D-bags. If you're in the upper deck (where my PSLs were before I sold them), it's all Donnie from Dundalk. Things are fine up there if the Ravens are winning, but it's no fun being a fan of the visiting team in the 4th quarter if Baltimore is about to lose. That's a big reason I got rid of the tickets (that, plus the fact the PSLs had more than doubled in value since 99 and my wife was tired of me being gone for 6 hours on Sunday and coming home very foamy).

Have never been to an NFL game and may never do so. Sounds expensive and miserable.

College games... love em. Imagine I enjoy those way more than I would NFL games. Neyland usually empties easily despite having 100k folks. I don't usually drive after games... just walk to a bar or back to tailgate spot. Prices aren't bad and any booze I'm drinking is usually snuck in via flask, so I'm just out a couple large sodas for mixing.

I guess that's why.

I loved going to games in the 70's and 80's. The Orange bowl was a dump...but it was our dump and we had a huge edge playing there. The stadium would literally shake and sway. We would stomp the old wooden bleachers.

Fan were cool, and we all were on the same page. It all went to hell starting around 96, 97. It just really started getting too crazy, too drunk and a hassle. Plus Joe Robbie stadium was never the same as the Orange Bowl. The mystique was gone. And when the Canes left the old OB.....it was over for them too.

Heading down to Miami for only the second time seeing a game there against Dallas. I'm not a huge fan of live games here in NY but it is fun being amongst Dolphin fans and cheering along. Can't wait!

HURRAY THE GUY ON THE OTHER TEAM HELD A JERSEY OF A GUY ON MY TEAM FOR A FRACTION OF A SECOND WHILE THE BALL WAS ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FIELD!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HURRAY THE GUY ON THE OTHER TEAM HELD A JERSEY OF A GUY ON MY TEAM FOR A FRACTION OF A SECOND WHILE THE BALL WAS ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FIELD!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FIRST DOWN!!!!!

Pumpnick said:
best live event for me was the ncaa tourney
As far as live experience goes...

College Hoops > NHL > NBA > College Football > MLB > D-League > Minor league ball >>>> NFL

Probably haven't paid for NFL tickets since the mid-90's and have turned a fair amount of free ones.

Biggest problem is the product on the field is just not as good as it used to be. The way things are going, tackling will be illegal before too long. The officiating is absolutely atrocious, dont even get me started on that. Hell I saw two plays this weekend that they couldn't get right even after review. Then we have the game this very weekend, saints-giants, score 52-49 with 13 td passes thrown and it's an overwheming success. That's a problem. The majority of fans love that type of #### game. I grew up on the NFL in the late 60's early 70's when the game was so much better to watch. Back then it would take a month of games to get 13 td passes and, you know, they actually ran the ball and hit hard, and oh what a concept, they played defense. The rules of the game have changed so much that it is practically impossible to stop the offense. Also, the players were not limping off the field every other play to get a breather. The game has just been destroyed. The ####### penalties and reviews, I could go on and on, but yet I still watch. Very hard to get the game out of my blood I guess. It's ####### sad. I will say going to Lambeau is a great experience though, but I'm a Packer fan so that's sort of a given.

I can't even watch a single game anymore unless I can speed up the action via my remote.

RedZone is the only close to live action I watch these days.

James Daulton said:
avoiding injuries said:
James Daulton said:
I've had Ravens tix since they got here and I would love to sell my tix and PSL. Unfortunately my pops loves to go so I pay for the season tix and go for him. I'd way way way rather watch it at home. And now my teen son has started to love to go too so I'll probably be in the same boat even with my pops can't go anymore.
I've been to a lot of stadiums and games at M&T are the "best". ######## ratio seems to be lower than average.Eta- D-bag is censored. I didn't even think I spelled it right.
Yea for me it's not the d-bag fator or even the parking. In fact, we park for free about a 15 minute walk from the stadium. If I leave my house at 11:45, assuming the ridiculous pat-down line isn't too long, I'll be in my seats by 11:45 (I live about 20 minutes outside the city). Getting home takes me the same. It's just that even though our seats are pretty good, the view isn't as close to as good on tv. It's still almost 6 hours out of my day, and all the drunks do get tiresome. A beer is $8.75 and if you have a few and have to use the restroom, you're missing 8 minutes of action or so.

Plus my PSL's are worth around $5k!
Man, you are fast.

Biggest problem is the product on the field is just not as good as it used to be. The way things are going, tackling will be illegal before too long. The officiating is absolutely atrocious, dont even get me started on that. Hell I saw two plays this weekend that they couldn't get right even after review. Then we have the game this very weekend, saints-giants, score 52-49 with 13 td passes thrown and it's an overwheming success. That's a problem. The majority of fans love that type of #### game. I grew up on the NFL in the late 60's early 70's when the game was so much better to watch. Back then it would take a month of games to get 13 td passes and, you know, they actually ran the ball and hit hard, and oh what a concept, they played defense. The rules of the game have changed so much that it is practically impossible to stop the offense. Also, the players were not limping off the field every other play to get a breather. The game has just been destroyed. The ####### penalties and reviews, I could go on and on, but yet I still watch. Very hard to get the game out of my blood I guess. It's ####### sad. I will say going to Lambeau is a great experience though, but I'm a Packer fan so that's sort of a given.
Yet their ratings seem to be near all-time highs... I don't get it.

I can't tell if I"m just getting old and yearning for "the good ole days" or if they are really putting the product on the field that people want to see and it's just not the product I want.

Or if I've just gotten older and re-prioritized my life.. but I don't want to watch any football at all... maybe some red zone.

Otherwise none.

James Daulton said:
avoiding injuries said:
James Daulton said:
I've had Ravens tix since they got here and I would love to sell my tix and PSL. Unfortunately my pops loves to go so I pay for the season tix and go for him. I'd way way way rather watch it at home. And now my teen son has started to love to go too so I'll probably be in the same boat even with my pops can't go anymore.
I've been to a lot of stadiums and games at M&T are the "best". ######## ratio seems to be lower than average.Eta- D-bag is censored. I didn't even think I spelled it right.
Yea for me it's not the d-bag fator or even the parking. In fact, we park for free about a 15 minute walk from the stadium. If I leave my house at 11:45, assuming the ridiculous pat-down line isn't too long, I'll be in my seats by 11:45 (I live about 20 minutes outside the city). Getting home takes me the same. It's just that even though our seats are pretty good, the view isn't as close to as good on tv. It's still almost 6 hours out of my day, and all the drunks do get tiresome. A beer is $8.75 and if you have a few and have to use the restroom, you're missing 8 minutes of action or so.

Plus my PSL's are worth around $5k!
Man, you are fast.
Fast as Jimmie Johns?

I can't tell if I"m just getting old and yearning for "the good ole days" or if they are really putting the product on the field that people want to see and it's just not the product I want.

Or if I've just gotten older and re-prioritized my life.. but I don't want to watch any football at all... maybe some red zone.

Otherwise none.
I do think it's what the majority of fans want to see. I'm just in the minority and have to live with it. And live with it I do, hardly ever miss a game on TV. Yesterday I watched the game from London and then the noon game, then the 3:25 game, and then watched some of the sunday night game but switched to the World Series. I watch all day and night long every Sunday, but the game sucks compared to what it used to be.

Pumpnick said:

College Hoops > NHL > NBA > College Football > MLB > D-League > Minor league ball >>>> NFL

Probably haven't paid for NFL tickets since the mid-90's and have turned a fair amount of free ones.
Your D-League venue must be a lot better than mine.

Of course I actually enjoy going to NFL games occasionally. Wouldn't ever buy season tickets though.

And with that I have a pair of 45 yard line club seats to the 12/27 game vs the Colts. Taking my mom as that is my holiday gift for her. She loves football and has not been to a game in a long time. I figure Andrew Luck should provide some entertainment hopefully.

At least it's club level and the riff raff is not nearly as prevalent.

I have to agree with all the people in this thread who say that the officiating is starting to ruin the game.

Just a random example from yesterday. Steelers have the ball on third down. The pass is incomplete, so Pittsburgh will have to punt. But wait, there's a flag. One of the Cincy players said something to one of the Pit players in a < 2 second exchange after the play. Taunting. 15 yard penalty, first down. This was a drive-extending first down given on what seemed like routine trash-talk and which was clearly a judgement call by the officials. IMO, the officials should not take it upon themselves to make potentially game-changing calls on something so ticky-tack. (In fairness, Pittsburgh did not score and that penalty ended up not mattering, but I was incensed at the time and I don't care about either team). Later that afternoon, the Jets and Raiders are shoving each other after every other play -- no flags. Which is how it should be, but why is it so inconsistent?

You can find similar examples literally every week. Probably in over half of all games played. It's terrible. It's as if the officials think that we're tuning in to watch them specifically.

Add to that the fact that nobody really knows what a catch is any more. And how many perfectly clean tackles get flagged for unnecessary roughness. And how officials somehow manage to screw up replay reviews on a near-weekly basis. It's embarrassing, and it's one of the things that really appeals to me about soccer. Obviously officiating plays a role in that game too, but the rules aren't as lawyerly and frankly stupid as those of the NFL.

Bengals is still cool. Tickets are easy to get a week or 2 in advance and yet the place is packed and excited on gameday. Area around the stadium is awesome, sportsbars are packed around it at 4 for the late games. I usually know people tailgating before.

The games are slow with breaks and challenges, but stadium finally has good signal for checking fantasy/twitter.

Pumpnick said:

Your D-League venue must be a lot better than mine.
K-P in Santa Cruz is nice as far as D-league arenas go.

I am a big AZ Cards fan - I really enjoy going to the stadium. Last game i attended was Monday night against SD last year. Ton of fun IMO. Beer are spendy, food is okay, but there is no replacement for live football. If i didn't have to fly in i would probably attend 2/3's of the home games.

I don't go to nfl games often,but along with this... Watching a game at a well attended sports bar or buffalo wild wings is somehow a worse experience than attending a game.

Dozens of drunken ### clowns wearing Daunte Culpeper Miami jerseys (or of that ilk) CLAPPING AT THE ####### TELEVISION OR SCREAMING every time a guy on their fantasy or favorite team carries the ball for 2.4 yards.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've said this many times, but the majority of the crowd at any NFL game is the guy who can never get out of the house except for his season tickets to his NFL team. So he leaves at 7 am for a 1pm game, eats, drinks, drinks, drinks, and drinks some more. By game time he is a sleepy or boisterous mess, often going back and forth between the two. All inhibitions are gone, he's likely going to piss himself at least once during the season and he's a complete mess at work on Monday.

I've been to many NFL games in many stadiums, all the crowds are made up of the guy above. It's not a good atmosphere unless you go to a playoff game or a Super Bowl. Drunks, drunks, and more drunks.

Otherwise none.
The weird thing is scoring isn't too far off what it has always been. The main difference between scoring in the 80s and in the present day is the kickers are better.

It's embarrassing, and it's one of the things that really appeals to me about soccer. Obviously officiating plays a role in that game too, but the rules aren't as lawyerly and frankly stupid as those of the NFL.
You really are new to the game. I love soccer, but a hand ball in the box is every bit as esoteric and open to interpretation as a "catch." To say nothing of a "denial of clear goal scoring opportunity" or a "dangerous" tackle. In soccer, of course, scoring is at such a premium that those calls routinely decide games. I'm OK with it, because I have Stockholm syndrome and its still better than supporting Daniel Snyder and boner pills.

I have to agree with all the people in this thread who say that the officiating is starting to ruin the game.

Just a random example from yesterday. Steelers have the ball on third down. The pass is incomplete, so Pittsburgh will have to punt. But wait, there's a flag. One of the Cincy players said something to one of the Pit players in a < 2 second exchange after the play. Taunting. 15 yard penalty, first down. This was a drive-extending first down given on what seemed like routine trash-talk and which was clearly a judgement call by the officials. IMO, the officials should not take it upon themselves to make potentially game-changing calls on something so ticky-tack. (In fairness, Pittsburgh did not score and that penalty ended up not mattering, but I was incensed at the time and I don't care about either team). Later that afternoon, the Jets and Raiders are shoving each other after every other play -- no flags. Which is how it should be, but why is it so inconsistent?

You can find similar examples literally every week. Probably in over half of all games played. It's terrible. It's as if the officials think that we're tuning in to watch them specifically.

Add to that the fact that nobody really knows what a catch is any more. And how many perfectly clean tackles get flagged for unnecessary roughness. And how officials somehow manage to screw up replay reviews on a near-weekly basis. It's embarrassing, and it's one of the things that really appeals to me about soccer. Obviously officiating plays a role in that game too, but the rules aren't as lawyerly and frankly stupid as those of the NFL.
FLAG FOR EXCESSIVE CELEBRATION¡!!!! ¡!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've said this many times, but the majority of the crowd at any NFL game is the guy who can never get out of the house except for his season tickets to his NFL team. So he leaves at 7 am for a 1pm game, eats, drinks, drinks, drinks, and drinks some more. By game time he is a sleepy or boisterous mess, often going back and forth between the two. All inhibitions are gone, he's likely going to piss himself at least once during the season and he's a complete mess at work on Monday.

I've been to many NFL games in many stadiums, all the crowds are made up of the guy above. It's not a good atmosphere unless you go to a playoff game or a Super Bowl. Drunks, drunks, and more drunks.
That's how it used to be at the Big Red games and I liked it a lot more even though I was too young to drink. Tons of families and kids at Rams games.

I go to Saints games with family, and have a great time at the game itself. They have always had a beer cart by the game but now they also sell the bomber bottles of Abita Abbey Ale, which is awesome. Also several selections of Goose Island brews. The cost of tix has gotten out of hand though, and 11.00 for a beer now, it's nuts. We were plenty happy with the old 5.00 Dome Foam and 3.00 Dome Dogs. We tailgate which saves money, but we are just into it as a family experience.
$11 bombers are a pretty good deal at a game

I live 40 minutes from Ford Field. The last few years instead of going to the games my wife and I drive down and tail gate with some friends, hit a local bar for a couple of drinks and watch the first half and then drive home to watch the rest of the game. Many times we have been offered free tickets while down there but have zero desire to attend the game in person.

I live 40 minutes from Ford Field. The last few years instead of going to the games my wife and I drive down and tail gate with some friends, hit a local bar for a couple of drinks and watch the first half and then drive home to watch the rest of the game. Many times we have been offered free tickets while down there but have zero desire to attend the game in person.
We have a casino across from the stadium. MUCH better time tailgating then going to the casino.

Might as well start joining a knitting or yoga club.
I did. And it actually helps. 3 hours is just way too long. So this year I've been watching the first quarter of the Bears game, going to yoga, come back, check the score. If they haven't #### the bed I watch the rest. Much better for my mental, physical, and emotional health. Wish I'd done it years ago.

Going to NFL games is the worst. College games are a thousand times better, but they are killing that too with the 4-hour commercial-laden death matches.

Going to NFL games is the worst. College games are a thousand times better, but they are killing that too with the 4-hour commercial-laden death matches.
The penalties and all of the stoppage in play is great but showing commercials on the jumbo tron during all of the breaks is really sweet.

Last edited by a moderator:

So, it's a lot like the Shart Pool.

Titans games are a horrible experience. If the Bears plated nearby, I'd probably go to a couple a year. Too expensive

I am a big AZ Cards fan - I really enjoy going to the stadium. Last game i attended was Monday night against SD last year. Ton of fun IMO. Beer are spendy, food is okay, but there is no replacement for live football. If i didn't have to fly in i would probably attend 2/3's of the home games.
All stadiums are not created equal. Some are horrible experiences

Pumpnick said:
As far as live experience goes...College Hoops > NHL > NBA > College Football > MLB > D-League > Minor league ball >>>> NFL

Minor League games may be my favorite to go to. Basically going to watch a little baseball and hang out with friends. Easy to get in and out of. Love it!

Why so much drinking at NFL games? I've never felt the need to be drunk in order to enjoy the game.

I've resigned myself to probably not attend an away nfl game again. My last was at the Met-Life on September 11'th 2011. Everyone hit on the sore spots of the horrendous cost, parking, traffic, stoppage time and fans getting out of hand. As for that last game, it was the best out of the last 8 or so I've attended over the years, but that had to do partly with the extenuating circumstances of the game. I learned long ago to go fan-neutral and not draw too much attention, as well as stick to my 'home team' buddies who brought me out, but even those don't always help.

I'd like to see a game at Jerry-World one day, but besides that, I think that phase of my life is over. NFL on TV is much better anyway, if I wanted an experience, i'd buy tickets to a college game so I can be able to absorb that atmosphere.

Users who are viewing this thread