What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is the KC DST for real...? (1 Viewer)

TheDirtyWord

Footballguy
No doubt, they got the juicy match-up in Week 1 against a ridiculously overmatched JAX offense.

However, this is not a team devoid of talent on that side of the ball.

• Houston, Hali, Berry, Flowers, Sean Smith, Poe, Johnson would appear on paper to be an extremely solid contingent of defenisve core players.
  • Andy Reid is a proven HC who understands how to implement his on-field program (versus Pioli hires Haley/Crennel) who seem better cast as assistants.
  • Their schedule will include 2 match-ups against SD and one against OAK (Week 17 match-up won't count here).
  • With competent QB play, they should be alot better at controlling game pace.
Moving forward, could this be a defense that ascends past weekly match-up possibilities and turns into a week-in, week-out starting unit?

i'd still call em a matchup play personally

secondary still has holes that can be exploited by qbs not named blaine, but the run d should be pretty solid.

Sacks will be there, as will decent points against, but TOs will be spotty and yardage will be allowed.

my2c anyway

It's hard to tell. I think the smarter play is anybody playing Jax. I thought anybody playing the Jets or Raiders was going to be the smart play all year but looks like that may not be the case anymore. Looks like Jax and maybe still the Chargers are the best plays.

They are real. I am biased I am a big time KC fan. Traveled down to training camp twice. Sutton's presence is noticable right away. They are more of an attacking 3-4 now. Think Jets D a couple years ago.

I believed in them from the beginning. I was ridiculed for drafting KC D in both my leagues. Plus you figure id special team points factor, the were fantastic in the preseason.

The D is full of playmakers. I think with the improved coaching you will consistently see guys in the right position for big plays.

above average, probably top 12ish but the Jags will make every team look good.

I had thought the Jets would be the worst team, I was wrong.

I figured they had the talent to be better than average, but not exactly good. Which is more than good enough to be among the top defenses if the TD breaks go their way, I guess.

As far as every week? I don't believe in the concept. I haven't seen a defense so talented I'd want to start them every week, no matter the matchup, since probably the 80's.

KC puts a lot of talent on the field. They might not be an every week starter but they should on everyone's radar for match ups. I know Jax is terrible, but even so KC was very impressive.

secondary still has holes that can be exploited by qbs not named blaine, but the run d should be pretty solid.

Sacks will be there, as will decent points against, but TOs will be spotty and yardage will be allowed.

my2c anyway
Pretty much this.

Their special teams can also add a bit also. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few return TD's this year.

I figured they had the talent to be better than average, but not exactly good. Which is more than good enough to be among the top defenses if the TD breaks go their way, I guess.

As far as every week? I don't believe in the concept. I haven't seen a defense so talented I'd want to start them every week, no matter the matchup, since probably the 80's.
I hear you on that...don't want to be starting DEF's going against big offenses like NO, DEN, NE. So perhaps I worded that poorly.

How about KC being your primary DEF?

One thing Andy is good at is gameplanning if he has extra time. Add to that the fact the Jags were unprepared and it snowballed. I don't think they're as good as it showed yesterday but still worth a spot play against a good matchup.

could this be a defense that ascends past weekly match-up possibilities and turns into a week-in, week-out starting unit?
No defense is a week in, week out starter. Every DST depends on the matchup. Whoever you rank as your #1 DST, they should be on your bench at least 3, as many as 6 weeks of the year.

I hear you on that...don't want to be starting DEF's going against big offenses like NO, DEN, NE. So perhaps I worded that poorly.

How about KC being your primary DEF?
I don't think you worded it poorly at all. I think picking a flavor-of-the-season D and sticking with them through thick and thin assuming talent will win the day is probably the norm, rather than the exception. :shrug:

I just don't happen to buy.

If I had been randomly assigned a D rather than having to draft one, and it just so happened that I got the Seahawks, Niners, Bears, or Bengals, I'd still have dropped them to add a compelling matchup D. Does that always work out? Nah. But on balance, I think I've been better off that way over the years.

I like KC's playmakers, and they go in that mix with the best of them. Didn't start them yesterday, but not surprised they did well. I imagine they'll stay rostered for a while now in most leagues, but we'll see down the road.

It's hard to tell. I think the smarter play is anybody playing Jax. I thought anybody playing the Jets or Raiders was going to be the smart play all year but looks like that may not be the case anymore. Looks like Jax and maybe still the Chargers are the best plays.
running qbs definitely negate some points from sacks and pressure throws that become ints. pryor had opportunities to run to pick up a play much more so than a slower qb who knows they cant make that play so are compelled to sit in the pocket longer and force something.i like the raiders d this week against jax.

Bears last year? Worked just fine for many of us. Depends on scoring system maybe.

FUBAR said:
Man of Zen said:

Bears last year? Worked just fine for many of us. Depends on scoring system maybe.
Bears owner in our league started them 11 out of 12 weeks last year. His defense was 4th in the league. :shrug:

They were good, as team D's go. Matchups were considerably better.

I've used this unit the last two seasons for streaming purposes. Without looking at the schedule, I think they'll be good for a couple more good performances but I wouldn't want to rely only on the KC D at this point. Maybe they'll show they are a primo unit as the season progresses. If you think there's a chance of that, maybe you should snag them while you can and stash them or roll the dice and roll with the unit as your D the next couple weeks.

They had been leading my league in scoring for D/ST up through week 2 and added another 25 last night vs. the Eagles. So 30 vs. Jags (road), 11 vs. Cowboys (home), and 25 vs. Eagles(road).

For week 2 in my league, they were tied for 9th best. 15 teams had their D/ST score 11 or more points in week 2.

my2c anyway
Where's the hole in the secondary? Flowers/Smith/Berry looks pretty damn solid to me. I know Flowers had problems with Bryant but who wouldn't in single coverage.

Users who are viewing this thread