What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Isaiah Simmons (1 Viewer)

Bracie Smathers

Footballguy
He 'likely' will earn his own thread at some point so jumping the gun a bit early.

The other defensive rookie who will go in the top-ten is LB/S/? Isaiah Simmons who blew up the Combine.

Isaiah Simmons runs an official 4.39 in the 40 Posted by Charean Williams on February 29, 2020

Clemson linebacker Isaiah Simmons wowed scouts Saturday night at the NFL Scouting Combine, running an official time of 4.39 in the 40-yard dash.

He declined to run a second time.

Simmons’ time was just off the combine record for a linebacker set by Shaquem Griffin two years ago with a 4.38 clocking.

Simmons weighed 238 pounds, had a 39-inch vertical and an 11-foot broad jump.

He played every position in the Clemson defense except nose tackle and the 3-technique. Simmons’ best fit in the NFL could be at weakside linebacker.

“I think it’s really beneficial for me [to have played so many positions],” Simmons said. “I know years ago it wasn’t good to be a position-less guy. But now it’s become a benefit for me just because of all the versatility I’ll be able to do — play linebacker, play safety, whatever it is, I feel like it just helps me out.

“When it comes down to it, I’m going to try with my best ability to do everything I can.”
He has a chance to post huge IDP numbers.

----------------------------

📽️  LINK video:  Isaiah Simmons is so calm and comfortable down the field in coverage...

-----------------------------

Ikenna@IkeEgbuch

Simmons is an absolute game changer

• -Cover slot receivers/TEs
  • -Play a deep third
  • -Run support
  • -Blitzing/Green dog
  • -Competent tackling
All at the size of an OLB

What can’t he do?

--------------------------------------

Benjamin Solak@BenjaminSolak

Simmons:

• 6'4 238 pounds
  • 4.39s 40-yard dash
  • 39" vert 132" broad
Julio:

• 6'3 220 pounds
  • 4.34s 40-yard dash
  • 38 1/2" vert
  • 135" broad Isaiah'
Simmons is a *BIGGER* Julio Jones playing defense, SEND TWEET

---------------------------------------

Matt Lombardo@MattLombardoNFL

Simmons a game-wrecker, this time should solidify him as a top-5 pick. Talk in Indy was #Giants are targeting him if they stay at No. 4: https://nj.com/giants/2020/02/dave-gettleman-on-a-mission-to-fix-linebackers-is-position-the-giants-top-priority.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Where does this guy go in IDP Dynasty rookie drafts? What round are we looking at? 

Where does this guy go in IDP Dynasty rookie drafts? What round are we looking at? 
Top LB prospects usually start coming off in the early 2nd.  This year is a little deeper in offensive players so maybe mid-2nd?

A lot depends on situation.  If he walks into a spot where he looks like he might be the next Kuechly (shutdown middle linebacker making plays all over the field) he likely works back into the early 2nd.  If he goes somewhere with a lunatic DC who wants to play him as a gadget and make him the next Jabrill Peppers...mid 2nd still.  Someone will bet on the talent once the top tiers of QB/RB/WR are gone.

I’m sure he goes IDP1, and ahead of any TE.

Top LB prospects usually start coming off in the early 2nd.  This year is a little deeper in offensive players so maybe mid-2nd?

A lot depends on situation.  If he walks into a spot where he looks like he might be the next Kuechly (shutdown middle linebacker making plays all over the field) he likely works back into the early 2nd.  If he goes somewhere with a lunatic DC who wants to play him as a gadget and make him the next Jabrill Peppers...mid 2nd still.  Someone will bet on the talent once the top tiers of QB/RB/WR are gone.

I’m sure he goes IDP1, and ahead of any TE.
Word. Thanks. I hold the rookie 2.01 in a draft in an IDP league that runs 3 DB/3 DL/3 LB and was wondering when to start looking. I'm new to IDP, really, so I'm getting the lay of the land with articles, schemes, player positions to watch for, etc. IDP Guru, this forum, IDP Guys, and FBG IDP articles have been extremely helpful. 

Word. Thanks. I hold the rookie 2.01 in a draft in an IDP league that runs 3 DB/3 DL/3 LB and was wondering when to start looking. I'm new to IDP, really, so I'm getting the lay of the land with articles, schemes, player positions to watch for, etc. IDP Guru, this forum, IDP Guys, and FBG IDP articles have been extremely helpful. 
I bet you’ll love it. I’m almost certain I’d never do a non-IDP league again. Have done only IDP leagues for past 15-16 years. I still have a hard time staying on top of schemes/player roles. Makes it all so much more interesting and challenging.

I bet you’ll love it. I’m almost certain I’d never do a non-IDP league again. Have done only IDP leagues for past 15-16 years. I still have a hard time staying on top of schemes/player roles. Makes it all so much more interesting and challenging.
Thanks. Really looking forward to it. It makes it more challenging right off of the bat, that's for sure. I had to figure out the basics, especially  -- as you mention -- the basics of schemes and the general order of things (like who generally scores and in what scheme they score in) plus scoring weights by position and, for our league, the sheer amount of guys vs. the offensive side of the ball and that respective weight.

But I love this stuff and do it for fun and spend many hours, so it certainly is a hobby now. 

rockaction said:
Thanks. Really looking forward to it. It makes it more challenging right off of the bat, that's for sure. I had to figure out the basics, especially  -- as you mention -- the basics of schemes and the general order of things (like who generally scores and in what scheme they score in) plus scoring weights by position and, for our league, the sheer amount of guys vs. the offensive side of the ball and that respective weight.

But I love this stuff and do it for fun and spend many hours, so it certainly is a hobby now. 
Assuming your league starts enough IDP's and has a scoring system that makes them relevant, you will find that knowing the IDP side will give you a big advantage over most of your opponents.  It is easy to find information for the offensive side.  Everyone will have the same info and there are no sleepers or surprises anymore.  However, it is hard to find good IDP content (FBG's content has really gone downhill - but this board has great info) and if you are on top of it you can find diamonds in the rough and gain an advantage by being able to get production out of lesser known guys.  Let the other guys take name players early and you can still focus on offense while you get your lesser known IDP guys at a bargain with similar production to the name guys. 

IDP rewards those that put in the work.  It's one of the best things about this format. 

Assuming your league starts enough IDP's and has a scoring system that makes them relevant, you will find that knowing the IDP side will give you a big advantage over most of your opponents.  It is easy to find information for the offensive side.  Everyone will have the same info and there are no sleepers or surprises anymore.  However, it is hard to find good IDP content (FBG's content has really gone downhill - but this board has great info) and if you are on top of it you can find diamonds in the rough and gain an advantage by being able to get production out of lesser known guys.  Let the other guys take name players early and you can still focus on offense while you get your lesser known IDP guys at a bargain with similar production to the name guys. 

IDP rewards those that put in the work.  It's one of the best things about this format. 
Agreed with all of this. I hope that I'm able to get up to speed. The IDP scoring is incredibly relevant. I've broken down total points on offense and defense by position the last two years -- and players into tiers (not for selection purposes, but to see where the points cluster) -- and the IDP becomes very determinative regarding who wins. As far as the work goes, I've got quite a bit to do.  

Agreed with all of this. I hope that I'm able to get up to speed. The IDP scoring is incredibly relevant. I've broken down total points on offense and defense by position the last two years -- and players into tiers (not for selection purposes, but to see where the points cluster) -- and the IDP becomes very determinative regarding who wins. As far as the work goes, I've got quite a bit to do.  
Depending on your scoring set up beware that looking at season long scoring can be misleading.  IDP can be boom/bust because of the nature of the big plays (sacks, Int, etc).  Many positions can be 1 pt one week and 28 pts the next.  So when you look at the season long stats they appear to score similar but it's very volatile.  Crafting your lineup to minimize that bust potential is part of the managing that will help you win.  Raw points isn't necessarily a good way to evaluate because of that volatility. 

Depending on your scoring set up beware that looking at season long scoring can be misleading.  IDP can be boom/bust because of the nature of the big plays (sacks, Int, etc).  Many positions can be 1 pt one week and 28 pts the next.  So when you look at the season long stats they appear to score similar but it's very volatile.  Crafting your lineup to minimize that bust potential is part of the managing that will help you win.  Raw points isn't necessarily a good way to evaluate because of that volatility. 
I had noticed that. Thanks. I was just going on the advice of one of the articles here about IDP and how defensive scoring stacked up relative to offensive positions. That volatility will be something I guess I'll have to learn as I go along. I think starting nine defensive players will mitigate outliers to an extent, too, so I'll really have to watch how that works. 

I had noticed that. Thanks. I was just going on the advice of one of the articles here about IDP and how defensive scoring stacked up relative to offensive positions. That volatility will be something I guess I'll have to learn as I go along. I think starting nine defensive players will mitigate outliers to an extent, too, so I'll really have to watch how that works. 
Is your scoring considered big play (4+ pts/sack vs 1 pt/tackle), balanced (3 or 4 pts/sack) or tackle heavy (even sacks/tackles)?   This is a huge factor in roster construction and player values.  Just like anything else knowing the scoring system is a key.  In big play it is good to mix in edge guys (Von Miller/Mack) type guys with more stable tackle producers.  This helps normalize your scoring.  If you go with all big play guys you run the risk of huge swings if they all hit or miss on the same week.  Mixing in tackle compilers helps smooth that out.  You can also play around based on your predicted outcome (big underdog vs favorite) to increase your chances that way.  Lots of strategy and options......the best thing about IDP.

Is your scoring considered big play (4+ pts/sack vs 1 pt/tackle), balanced (3 or 4 pts/sack) or tackle heavy (even sacks/tackles)? 
Def. tackle heavy, it seems, and tiered by position. That was what I saw at first blush. For DEs it's 2 pt. solo tackle, 1 assist, 2 sack, 1 assist sack 1 pt. Qb hit. For LBs it's .75 every 1/2 tackle, 1 pt. every 1/2 sack. For DBs it's 1.5 per 1/2 sack, .875 pts. per 1/2 tackle.

So it's a bit involved.

But I'm now hesitating to hijack the thread. I can start a thread about my newbieness or we can go to PMs. Sorry about that to the other readers, but thanks, Gally. It's much appreciated.

But I'm now hesitating to hijack the thread. I can start a thread about my newbieness or we can go to PMs. Sorry about that to the other readers, but thanks, Gally. It's much appreciated.
Dont worry about hijacking a thread in IDP lounge in off season, its great to see some activity.

Turning back to original question, looking at the fact you are tackle heavy and start 3 LB I think this guy goes at end of round 1. Last year I think he might have gone between 1.07 and 1.10 depending on team need. Given the hype he is getting, if his landing spot looks like a first week 3 down player and he lists as LB, I doubt he goes past 1.12.

Dont worry about hijacking a thread in IDP lounge in off season, its great to see some activity.

Turning back to original question, looking at the fact you are tackle heavy and start 3 LB I think this guy goes at end of round 1. Last year I think he might have gone between 1.07 and 1.10 depending on team need. Given the hype he is getting, if his landing spot looks like a first week 3 down player and he lists as LB, I doubt he goes past 1.12.
Wow. More input. Thanks. This definitely affects how I try and draft.

This is very league dependent, do your research.  If it's an MFL league that's easy to do.  Last year Devin White went 8 (me), 5, 4, 10 (me) and Bush went 9, 9, 2, 3.  And aside from the 4th league, those are entirely typical of how they roll.  Last year being a "down" year on high-end talent might have pushed them up a spot or two but that's about right.

This is very league dependent, do your research.  If it's an MFL league that's easy to do.  Last year Devin White went 8 (me), 5, 4, 10 (me) and Bush went 9, 9, 2, 3.  And aside from the 4th league, those are entirely typical of how they roll.  Last year being a "down" year on high-end talent might have pushed them up a spot or two but that's about right.
Thanks very much. White went 7, Bush went 2.02.

This helps gauge it.

This draft is unique because of the lack of top end D talent but the depth of O. 
Last year in my home league that gives DL .5 extra per tackle, White went 8, Bosa went 9 and Bush went 18. Allen was next at 30.  But that allowed a few O players to drop and we start 11 of each. Allowed AJ Brown and Deebo Samuel to be 2nd round steals

this year is Simmons but Patrick Queen and Kenneth Murray. The next level of Zach Baun, Jordyn Brooks, Malik Harrison, Akeem Gaither Davis, William Gay are a step or 2 down. 
for DL it is Chase Young and than hoping one or more of Chiasson, Gross-Matos, and Espenesa go to 4-3 spots over 3-4 which I agree with most that kills value in most leagues. Remember that Simmons could also go to S and kill value as S deep this year. 

we have had one guy come out and say he is taking Young at 10. He also has hinted at Simmons at 11. He picks again at 25 and 28. 
I think early as O rules league at 57-43 of scoring. The top 4 teams for O last year dominated the league but he might get a Zach Moss or Michael Pittman in the 2nd. Or he could have JK Dobbins(SF league), Tee Higgins, Brooks and #3 DL instead. Because the big 4 will be gone by pick 20. The team picking 16 and 20 has a dismal D and above average O. One team has picks 5-7-8-23. He needs all and where I see Simmons maybe going 8 if he wants a top 3 Lb. He gets one of Ruggs and Harrison or Simmons and Akers/Hopkens. Why I love doing early mocks to see value of picks. I know mocks are useless for ones by Walter and such but they show you lots of stuff about what happens if Player A goes to Team B or C. Maybe too much time on hands. 

So do a mock. Look at previous league outcomes. If D goes early last year which was top heavy LB again, than figure same this year. I know a league a friend plays in where LB has been the 1st pick overall and the top 3 LB always gone by mid first. You know going to happen again this. And not sure why other than 1-3-1 with Flex RB or TE so only start 8 O starters compared to SF and 11 O starters with 11 D for both and 4 LB. second one is TE premium also. League past will show tons of tendencies. 

Now that a lot of rookie drafts are underway, where has Simmons been going?   Do you see his ADP change must based on the scoring system for LBS being tackle heavy vs big play?

I'm eyeing him for big play leagues since Arizona has been known to be fantasy friendly in these formats as Chandler and Hicks were both top tier LBs last year.  

Time to bump a bit.  Anybody have any current input based on their leaguea and reports?  Looks like he is being focused on ILB early on in training camp.  Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread