What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

It's hazardous to drive with hazard lights on (1 Viewer)

Do you use hazards when driving

• Heavy rain

Votes: 25 29.4%
  • Snow

Votes: 14 16.5%
  • Fog

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • All the time

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Never when car is in motion

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • Only when car is stopped or on the side of the road

Votes: 57 67.1%
  • If I am driving slow because my car has an issue

Votes: 56 65.9%

• Total voters

Joe Schmo

Footballguy
Question arose from another thread wherein it was offered up that driving with hazard lights on is not only illegal in some states(legal in others) but is even more of a hazard as it creates uncertainty in other drivers as to your intentions or condition. I've used my hazards when driving in heavy rain and snow with the idea that the blinking lights will alert following drivers to my position and likely slower than normal speed. If they don't feel the conditions warrant they can feel free to switch lanes and pass me by.

Curious where the ffa stands on this burning issue. All replies welcome,

Last edited:
I went with heavy rain and snow, but specifically, only in those conditions when I am not comfortable driving at a decent speed, like if I'm going half the speed limit, yeah, I will put them on to let others know I am moving slowly.

"All the time"? What?? 😂

I went with heavy rain and snow, but specifically, only in those conditions when I am not comfortable driving at a decent speed, like if I'm going half the speed limit, yeah, I will put them on to let others know I am moving slowly.

"All the time"? What?? 😂

Great. In addition to the low visibility, you’ve now created an even more dangerous situation because your lights are a distraction and we can’t tell when you’re turning or changing lanes.

If you lack the ability to drive in poor weather you should not be on the road.

sorry man. :shrug:

It's now legal to drive with hazards on in Florida under certain conditions such as the ones listed in the poll. If indeed you need hazards in Florida for snow then we have bigger problems to deal with.

People who don't use hazard lights on in hazardous situations are probably the ones who also don't use turn signals because "the other guy may speed up.

I have very strong feelings about those people as they unquestionably make the roads more dangerous for everyone else. They are only marginally better than people who can't put down their damn phones while driving. The Venn Diagram of those three conditions is probably a circle.

Last edited:
Basically anytime I think I'm at an increase risk of being hit.

Severe rain or snow. The flashing lights help me see the car in front of me. So I certainly hope it helps the vehicles behind me see me and anticipate I'm not going the normal speed.

If I'm pulled over on the side of the road, especially when it's dark.

None of the possibilities fit so I can't answer the poll. I drive with hazards on if I'm stopped on the side but also when in motion and having either car problems or another emergency. There's nothing wrong with having them on in motion if there is a rational reason behind it.

But that isn't an option here.

Example by the way might be putting one of those donut spare tires on after getting a flat. But then heading down the road at a lower speed then the flow of the traffic. You should have your hazards on in that case.

Was in MD for a week. Don't get me started on DE drivers... The absolute worst.

Instead, something I noticed in the OC MD area... Drivers hitting the brakes to an almost stop- and then as they're already turning, put on the turn blinker as an after thought.
Lemme rephrase...

Drivers who don't use their turn signal until after they're already turning. Forcing cars behind to slow to a stop for no apparent reason.

Also saw during a monsoon down there cars driving with their hazards on- because it was raining. IME, those are because you're either stopped somewhere you shouldn't be and want to alert other drivers... Or because you're having technical issues with the car and as a result have to drive at a slower than normal speed until you can pull over somewhere safe. Rain doesn't qualify, and is dangerous to flash them.
For Hazards in rain it depends on how hard it's raining and the road way. I've been flying down 95 only to get caught in a heavy storm with low visibility. I have no issues with that

Usually because you have to slow way down
That's what regular lights and brake lights are for. Hazards- per my drivers class and CA drivers test (which I somehow remember, but can't remember what my wife said to me 1 hour ago)- are not used in the rain because they are supposed to mean something else and create dangerous situation when not used as meant.
First driving in NJ with Hazards on is technically legal.

But how is it more dangerous to drive with hazards on when you have very limited visibility and are traveling well below posted highway speeds. I mean I don't normally do it.

But if people up ahead of me start flashing hazards before I get to the rain I might slow down a little before hand. But travelling 25 mph on a limited visible road that is normally 65 mph I consider your quote of " as a result have to drive at a slower than normal speed until " to be applicable :shrug:

And I'm talking unexpected pounding rain where your wipers can barely keep up not sprinkles
Legal in NJ... Nufced.

Fwiw, here's the first thing that popped up when I just googled. Same logic must have applied to what I learned in CA when I was a kid.

Reasons for Using Your Hazard Lights
Most states encourage drivers to use their hazard lights when:

Getting pulled over by police officers
Recovering from a crash
Driving in a funeral procession
Changing a tire or performing vehicular maintenance on the side of the road

Reasons Against Using Your Hazard Lights
Most states discourage their drivers from using their vehicle's hazard lights when:

Turning
Driving in heavy rain
Driving around a vehicular traffic hazard
Parking illegally
Driving in heavy traffic

Hazards like high-beam headlights can worsen the detrimental visual effects of bad weather on the road. If you feel that you and your passengers are in danger due to the severity of a storm, pull over under a bridge or into a parking lot and wait for the worst of the storm to pass.

None of the possibilities fit so I can't answer the poll. I drive with hazards on if I'm stopped but also when in motion had having either car problems or another emergency. There's nothing wrong with having them on in motion if there is a rational reason behind it.

But that isn't an option here.

Example by the way might be putting one of those donut spare tires on after getting a flat. But then heading down the road at a lower speed then the flow of the traffic. You should have your hazards on in that case.
Option added

"All the time"? What?? 😂

Great. In addition to the low visibility, you’ve now created an even more dangerous situation because your lights are a distraction and we can’t tell when you’re turning or changing lanes.

I always did find that ironic that turn signals do nothing when you have hazards on. Like, "great idea, hazard light inventor" ... So I'm with you there. Would be better if hazard lights were a separate thing from the turn signal lights, but I know there are only so many features you can throw on a vehicle before it becomes too complicated.

But, a distraction? I don't know about that terminology. Are ambulance lights and sirens a distraction? Well, yeah. That's exactly what they're for. But the term "distraction" implies that something is diverting excessive attention from what is important. I don't think hazard lights do that. You see them. You recognize them. You understand their meaning. You don't stare at them. And they aren't blinding.

"All the time"? What?? 😂

I always did find that ironic that turn signals do nothing when you have hazards on. Like, "great idea, hazard light inventor" ... So I'm with you there. Would be better if hazard lights were a separate thing from the turn signal lights, but I know there are only so many features you can throw on a vehicle before it becomes too complicated.

But, a distraction? I don't know about that terminology. Are ambulance lights and sirens a distraction? Well, yeah. That's exactly what they're for. But the term "distraction" implies that something is diverting excessive attention from what is important. I don't think hazard lights do that. You see them. You recognize them. You understand their meaning. You don't stare at them. And they aren't blinding.

I live in a major metropolitan area. When the entire 6 lane highway is just a mass of hazards, it’s a disaster.

If the driver can’t manage a reasonable speed or the vehicle isn’t capable of handling the conditions, that driver needs to pull over, put their on and wait it out.

Last edited:
People who don't use hazard lights on in hazardous situations are probably the ones who also don't use turn signals because "the other guy may speed up.

I have very strong feelings about those people as they unquestionably make the roads more dangerous for everyone else. They are only marginally better than people who can't put down their damn phones while driving. The Venn Diagram of those three conditions is probably a circle.

I’m outside your Venn.

I let people in when they signal. I never driver and text and I wouldn’t dare drive with my hazards (PARKING) lights on.

I also try not to judge large swaths of people for individual mistakes.

"All the time"? What?? 😂

I live in a major metropolitan area. When the entire 6 lane highway is just a mass of hazards, it’s a disaster.

If the driver can’t manage a reasonable speed or the vehicle isn’t capable of handling the conditions that driver needs to pull over, put their on and wait it out.
So you're that guy in the monster truck going 60 in a 45 throwing up slushy icy snow on my windshield while I'm trying to get to work safely. Nice to finally meet you. Sorry that you sometimes have to be a few minutes later than you would prefer.

"All the time"? What?? 😂

If the driver can’t manage a reasonable speed or the vehicle isn’t capable of handling the conditions that driver needs to pull over, put their on and wait it out.
So you're that guy in the monster truck going 60 in a 45 throwing up slushy icy snow on my windshield while I'm trying to get to work safely. Nice to finally meet you. Sorry that you sometimes have to be a few minutes later than you would prefer.

Nope. Not that guy.

I know the playbook says to make fun of those people, but they’re people too.

Let not make this personal. We can have this conversation without political agendas or personal insults.

I think you’re wrong about driving with hazards on, you think I’m wrong, that’s ok. Let’s agree to disagree, have a beer and make fun of each others football teams.

:suds:

I once had to drive a beater car home one time where it maxed out at about 20mph. I used the hazards then (and obviously tried to keep to the lowest speed limit roads possible). The only other time I've used them non-stopped is in a couple of major downpours on the highway where speeds dropped to like 20-30. Personally I think they make that particular situation safer, as in that heavy a rainfall it is nearly impossible to see the car in front because the wipers cannot possibly keep up. For the people who are arguing that in that situation one should just pull over, I understand that stance, although I will say sometimes finding a safe spot to pull over can be difficult as not all highways have wide shoulders.

Using them while driving in fog seems like a bad idea due to Rayleigh scattering that's going to tend to blind everybody else around you.

"All the time"? What?? 😂

Nope. Not that guy.

Let not make this personal. We can have this conversation without political agendas or personal insults.

I think you’re wrong about driving with hazards on, you think I’m wrong, that’s ok. Let’s agree to disagree, have a beer and make fun of each others football teams.

Cowboys suck.

But seriously. Sorry to get personal. It just sounded like you were frustrated that people drive slowly in hazardous weather and get in your way.

I once had to drive a beater car home one time where it maxed out at about 20mph. I used the hazards then (and obviously tried to keep to the lowest speed limit roads possible). The only other time I've used them non-stopped is in a couple of major downpours on the highway where speeds dropped to like 20-30. Personally I think they make that particular situation safer, as in that heavy a rainfall it is nearly impossible to see the car in front because the wipers cannot possibly keep up. For the people who are arguing that in that situation one should just pull over, I understand that stance, although I will say sometimes finding a safe spot to pull over can be difficult as not all highways have wide shoulders.

Using them while driving in fog seems like a bad idea due to Rayleigh scattering that's going to tend to blind everybody else around you.
Are regular headlights and tail lights insufficient?

"All the time"? What?? 😂

Nope. Not that guy.

Cowboys suck.

But seriously. Sorry to get personal. It just sounded like you were frustrated that people drive slowly in hazardous weather and get in your way.

All good! We agree! Both the guy going 65 in a F350 SUPERDOODY in the snow AND the Cowboys suck!

I've flipped the hazards on during torrential downpours before. Maybe 3-4 times tops. Only because I was driving about 20MPH and didn't want someone to come slamming into me.

Broke down on the side of the road? Of course.

If I'm having car trouble and trying to merge to get to the side of the road? Yeah.

Unless visibility is a concern, then "no" to snow situations.

Are regular headlights and tail lights insufficient?
In my experience, yes in heavy enough rain. I'm talking about a rate of rainfall that you might experience for a few minutes driving once every few years, not regular rain. If I had to estimate I think I've probably done it 3-4 times due to rain, and I've been driving for more than 30 years.

I think need a funeral procession option.

I did use them recently when I was out in New Mexico recently. Monsoon season in the desert and had a sudden storm. Cars around me all turned their hazards on and I followed suit as we all dropped our speed down from the speed limit of 80 down to around 30. Don’t do that normally in the rain though, and I can’t remember last time that I did it before that.

I've flashed for all the above before but don't do it for 5-0 as much anymore because I care less about other human beings getting busted these days. You wanna do the crime, be prepared to do the time(or fine).

Just drove down to the middle of Los Angeles yesterday and had many instances where I put my turn signal on to change lanes and the car sped up to prevent me from doing so. Happened at least a half dozen times during the hour I was stuck in traffic. I did this with the purpose of seeing what would happen due to the various threads that have discussed this scenario.

You may not be believe it to be true but it is 100% true when driving in Los Angeles.

Ancillary ??: Do you flash high beams to oncoming traffic to warn of either popo or other traffic concerns?
I flash the high beams to warn oncoming traffic if a cop is up ahead of them. I usually continue for a mile or two. I also very much appreciate when other cars will do the same for me although that action seems to be happening less and less these days. Not sure why.

Just drove down to the middle of Los Angeles yesterday and had many instances where I put my turn signal on to change lanes and the car sped up to prevent me from doing so. Happened at least a half dozen times during the hour I was stuck in traffic. I did this with the purpose of seeing what would happen due to the various threads that have discussed this scenario.

You may not be believe it to be true but it is 100% true when driving in Los Angeles.
Could speeding up not be interpreted, at least in some situations, as "getting out of the way for you, but to the front rather than the back"? I might do that if I see someone is trying to get over and they're either going slowly already or I'm already partly beside their vehicle.

Kind of the converse of the idea when merging, sometimes it makes more sense to speed up to merge into a gap in front of the car next to you, sometimes it makes more sense to slow down and fall back into a gap behind them.

... Though I totally believe there are plenty out there who would speed up just to prevent you from changing lanes.

Last edited:
Question arose from another thread wherein it was offered up that driving with hazard lights on is not only illegal in some states(legal in others) but is even more of a hazard as it creates uncertainty in other drivers as to your intentions or condition. I've used my hazards when driving in heavy rain and snow with the idea that the blinking lights will alert following drivers to my position and likely slower than normal speed. If they don't feel the conditions warrant they can feel free to switch lanes and pass me by.

Curious where the ffa stands on this burning issue. All replies welcome,
Yes, creates uncertainty for other drivers ... like when someone signals to change lanes without waiting for an opening.

Could speeding up not be interpreted, at least in some situations, as "getting out of the way for you, but to the front rather than the back"? I might do that if I see someone is trying to get over and they're either going slowly already or I'm already partly beside their vehicle.
Not in the instances that I am referring to. In all instances the car was behind my back bumper and if they just backed off the gas pedal I would have had room to merge over. Instead they increased speed to come even with me to basically cause me to either slow way down to get behind them or speed way up to get in front of the car in front of them. In all instances it was a "you are not getting in front of me" move and not a "getting out of your way move".

Didn't answer the poll because this was not one of the options.
I've recently adopted a strategy that I've seen truck drivers do;
When highway traffic is fast and light, then coming to a sudden stop (or to almost stopped) ... like 70mph down to 15mph
... I turn on my hazards as I'm slowing to make sure the car 1000+ feet behind me is aware of the situation.
Once I feel the traffic behind me has slowed and is no longer a threat to me, I turn them off.
Too many distractions for todays drivers with cell phones while driving well beyond the speed limit.
I like the idea of giving myself as much help as possible to not get rear-ended.
and I do actually appreciate when people do this ahead of me.

When highway traffic is fast and light, then coming to a sudden stop (or to almost stopped) ... like 70mph down to 15mph
... I turn on my hazards as I'm slowing to make sure the car 1000+ feet behind me is aware of the situation.
Once I feel the traffic behind me has slowed and is no longer a threat to me, I turn them off.
Too many distractions for todays drivers with cell phones while driving well beyond the speed limit.
I like the idea of giving myself as much help as possible to not get rear-ended.
Reminds me of my probably impractical idea: brake lights that become extraordinarily bright, turn a different color, expand to a larger size, or blink, only when massive deceleration is occuring.

Ancillary ??: Do you flash high beams to oncoming traffic to warn of either popo or other traffic concerns?
I flash the high beams to warn oncoming traffic if a cop is up ahead of them. I usually continue for a mile or two. I also very much appreciate when other cars will do the same for me although that action seems to be happening less and less these days. Not sure why.
People do sometimes speed up when you use turn signals but not using your turn signals because someone may speed up is weak.

There is some wiggle room on which situations hazard lights are appropriate and how to properly deploy them while moving but using turn signals is a "yes you should 100% of the time" situation.

Reminds me of my probably impractical idea: brake lights that become extraordinarily bright, turn a different color, expand to a larger size, or blink, only when massive deceleration is occuring.

That’s a good idea and maybe something that should be required on new cars.

Users who are viewing this thread