What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

James Jones (1 Viewer)

Cliff Clavin

Footballguy
What are you doing with this guy? Buying? Selling? Holding?

Puts up a bagel week one, then 340 yards and 2 TD's in his next three games. He was a top 20 WR last year (scoring dependent) and is sitting top 15 again this year (based on average points).

Based on where I drafted him...holding (mostly because Colston sucks and Calvin now missed a game)

What's not to like? Besides the fact that he was drafted WAY after Nelson and Cobb.

Jones leads all GB WRs in snaps. He produces and Rodgers looks for him in the endzone.

Rodgers doesn't care who he throws the ball to and Jones is basically WR1c in this offense.

You start him the rest of the season and enjoy the ride.
exactly...

don't take him out of your lineup. He should be a fixture. You suffer through a dud performance here and there but will be rewarded with monster games like yesterday. He had a 2nd td come back, Had that not happened he would have had a 154 yard 2 td day.

One of my best draft picks this season in a season full of busts for me.

What's not to like? Besides the fact that he was drafted WAY after Nelson and Cobb.

Jones leads all GB WRs in snaps. He produces and Rodgers looks for him in the endzone.
His low number of targets. Right now, he's making the most of his limited targets. That's obviously a good thing, but not sure how long that can hold up. Either he needs to get more targets or he'll start having games that disappoint owners. He needs the TDs in order to remain relevant.

His low number of targets. Right now, he's making the most of his limited targets. That's obviously a good thing, but not sure how long that can hold up. Either he needs to get more targets or he'll start having games that disappoint owners. He needs the TDs in order to remain relevant.
Isn't that the story of James Jones, though? He is not a volume guy, but a deep threat in an offense that utilizes the deep threat very well. He will have some boom bust, but who does't? A Boldin, the teams #1 WR (and only sharing looks with V Davis) has had two bust games already, and doesn't hold the upside of Jones.

Jones is a high upside #2 and a great #3 as he can win some weeks for you on his own, and just about all WRs will have a few off weeks.

Huh? Nelson is 9th in WR PPG and Cobb is 10th. (PPR).

Not too bad since Nelson had an ADP of WR19 and Cobb WR10. I'd say both were quality picks by those that made them.

Back on subject, Jones is really 3rd/4th in the pecking order. However, it really depends upon how teams choose to defend the Packers. If they go 2-deep, that will probably hurt Jones the most. It would hurt Nelson too, if he wasn't so incredible on his sideline catches. Those are the games that Cobb and Finley will get the most targets.

Basically, Rodgers will take what the defense gives him. All his targets are quality players, and he's not afraid to use any of them.

Isn't that the story of James Jones, though?
Yes, and it's something I don't like. I'm not saying he doesn't have positives. I'm just saying his lack of targets is something not to like.

Rankings everywhere hated the guy going into the season. FBG's had him as a WR34 going into the season after he had a great finish last year and currently ranked WR42 in dynasty.

The perception of the guy seems to be that he is fluke and a borderline WR3 even though he produces like a mid-top WR2.

He makes me nervous to start because I loathe the bottoming out weeks (SEE Wk 1) but I can't resist the high he can provide. :tapsvein: He's my WR3 and that's the perfect position for him.

James Jones is averaging 7 targets/game (that's including the rather flukey week 1 game with 2 targets). Jordy Nelson is averaging 7.5 targets/game. So, basically the same thing you're saying and the same doubts about about Jones can be attributed to Nelson. And I don't see anyone dropping Jordy...

Huh? Nelson is 9th in WR PPG and Cobb is 10th. (PPR).

Not too bad since Nelson had an ADP of WR19 and Cobb WR10. I'd say both were quality picks by those that made them.

Back on subject, Jones is really 3rd/4th in the pecking order. However, it really depends upon how teams choose to defend the Packers. If they go 2-deep, that will probably hurt Jones the most. It would hurt Nelson too, if he wasn't so incredible on his sideline catches. Those are the games that Cobb and Finley will get the most targets.

Basically, Rodgers will take what the defense gives him. All his targets are quality players, and he's not afraid to use any of them.
Please reread. Coming into this week, Jones has played 212 snaps while Nelson has played 210 snaps and Cobb has played 196 snaps.

So, Jones is literally out there for every single offensive play. He's not some backup 3rd WR.

Any updates on Jones' leg injury would be appreciated...didn't look as serious as Cobb's from what I saw.

Nothing yet. My guess is torn meniscus. But that's just a guess based on what I saw: mechanism of injury + not too painful + stiff-legged gait after. MRI likely coming tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sprained PCL per Schefter. Might be able to play vs Browns.
I don't want to get too optimistic since Andre Johnson sprained his PCL in 2007 and missed 8 weeks (7 games and a bye). Like Jones his was also first reported as a shin injury and he was expected to play the next week.

Another concern is that playing too soon could turn the sprain into a tear. Reggie Bush tore his in 2007 and Payton said that he had some PCL damage prior to the tear.

Users who are viewing this thread