What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jermaine Cunningham (1 Viewer)

Diamond

Footballguy
Can anyone give me the scoop on Jermaine Cunningham, NE?

2nd round rookie, 3-4 OLB, supposed to be backing Tully Banta-Cain, I thought. But Banta-Cain has no stats since week 3, and no injury that I can tell, while Cunningham had a very good game this past week ( 4-2-1, 1 FF). Is he the starter there now?

N/M, found this:

Defensive Snaps Rookies on Rise

Rookie outside linebacker Jermaine Cunningham is coming on. The following in his playing time progression over the first five games: 26, 23, 28, 53 and 59. … Cunningham and Rob Ninkovich are establishing themselves as 1-2 on the outside linebacker depth chart, with Tully Banta-Cain playing mostly in sub packages. Bill Belichick felt their performance was the best to date...
Interesting...

Last edited by a moderator:
Good find, thanks for the heads up.Here is some more info:

The Patriots signed veteran outside linebacker Tully Banta-Cain to a three-year, $19 million contract in the offseason, and handed him a starting job in training camp. But it looks as though Banta-Cain has officially relinquished that position to rookie Jermaine Cunningham, who made his third straight start in the Patriots’ 23-20 overtime victory over the Ravens on Sunday. Cunningham, selected in the second round with the 53rd overall pick in April, missed the entire preseason with an ankle injury. You couldn’t miss him Sunday. The 6-foot-3, 260-pound Florida product with Kevin McHale-like arms had six tackles, including one for a 3-yard loss on running back Ray Rice in the first quarter. He also strip-sacked Joe Flacco in the second quarter, although the quarterback recovered the fumble. All in all, an active and productive day for a defense that might have found someone to fill the rather large void it has in the playmaker department. “I thought Jermaine played very aggressively,” coach Bill Belichick said yesterday. “He certainly had some good plays, some big plays. He made a good pass rush there, got a holding penalty on (Michael) Oher, made some good plays in the running game. “He’s still got a long way to go, but he’s working hard, and I thought he did play very aggressively, which is what we need at that position.” Belichick also had high praise for Rob Ninkovich, the other starting outside linebacker in the Patriots’ 3-4 defense. Ninkovich contributed to an effort that limited the Ravens to 99 yards on 34 carries (a 2.9 average). Rice had Baltimore’s longest run of the afternoon, 8 yards. “Our other outside linebackers did a pretty good job of keeping Rice from really busting a lot of plays outside, which he’s been known to do,” Belichick said. “And then our inside defenders did a good enough job of trying to keep him contained. He’s a really hard guy to shut down.”

Ive quietly been sitting on him all year because of his DL designation and his 3-4 ROLB status.

But I had noticed he didnt get many snaps the first month weeks.

Also NE doesnt seem to blitz as much as some of the other 3-4s.

Nice bounce in his stats last week, hopefully it continues.

Choke said:
Ive quietly been sitting on him all year because of his DL designation and his 3-4 ROLB status.

He was injured for most of the preseason and was brought along slowly. In a league with a DL designation, I think he's an interesting prospect. In ones with the correct listing, he has a much lower ceiling.

Choke said:

i think they transitioning a bit. look at the infusion of youth and talent at the LB position: ninkovich, cunningham, mayo, guyton and spikes. gone are the crennel stalwarts. what do you do with all of this athleticism? you attack! these guys need some time to gel, learn their roles and the like.

Anyone have an idea on how much he played last week? What percentage of snaps?

Choke said:

i think they transitioning a bit. look at the infusion of youth and talent at the LB position: ninkovich, cunningham, mayo, guyton and spikes. gone are the crennel stalwarts. what do you do with all of this athleticism? you attack! these guys need some time to gel, learn their roles and the like.

59 of 77 so ~75%

week 4:

53 of 70 (75.7%)

link

1st 4 games:

130 of 273 (47.6%)

link

so trending up...

Last edited by a moderator:
I like this kid. Have him stashed in 2 or 3 dynasty leagues. Belichick spent a 2nd rounder on this guy and Belichick's drafting record doesn't lie. He knows how to find the high hanging fruit and turn them into major contributors. I can see Cunningham getting 60 solo tackles and 5-10 sacks on an annual basis as soon as next year.

Did JC get hurt today or benched? Saw him early in the game, then I saw Crable and some Fletcher guy at LB.

nevermind:

ILB Jerod Mayo -- 72 of 72

CB Devin McCourty -- 72 of 72

S Brandon Meriweather -- 72 of 72

CB Kyle Arrington -- 60 of 72

S James Sanders -- 60 of 72

ILB Gary Guyton -- 48 of 72

OLB/DE Jermaine Cunningham -- 40 of 72

DL Gerard Warren -- 35 of 72

DL Brandon Deaderick -- 35 of 72

DL Myron Pryor -- 35 of 72

OLB/DE Tully Banta-Cain -- 34 of 72