What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jet Ski buying advice (1 Viewer)

Payne

Footballguy
Trust me.....I know, I know. My father-in-law was a boat salesman prior to his death. I know the saying about buying a boat. 

But I live near several lakes and my two daughters have finally asked for a couple of jet skis. They are 18 and 16. 

What should I look for? I am ok with buying new. Sea-doo Sparks appear most affordable. But also may want to pay a bit more for the Yamaha EX line.

Any suggestions? Things to look for? To avoid?

Trust me.....I know, I know. My father-in-law was a boat salesman prior to his death. I know the saying about buying a boat. 

But I live near several lakes and my two daughters have finally asked for a couple of jet skis. They are 18 and 16. 

What should I look for? I am ok with buying new. Sea-doo Sparks appear most affordable. But also may want to pay a bit more for the Yamaha EX line.

Any suggestions? Things to look for? To avoid?
It's been a long time since I had my wave runner.   No help with current models but I know this sounds obvious but check that the lake allows them

I don't know much about current models but I have a 2009 Yamaha VX Cruiser and a 2011 Yamaha FX Cruiser. I bought the VX first because it is used by all the rental fleets and has a bulletproof reputation. Then I bought the FX and the FX makes the VX just about unrideable. Stability and power are worlds apart.  From what I hear the EX is even less stable than the VX due to the shorter hull.

I will give you one tip - if you can park them near power, keep the batteries on a trickle charger. Even so, you will probably change them once a year. The jostling they take in a jetski vs. other vehicles seems to kill them quick. So far, I've found an even better solution is lithium ion replacement batteries. I'm going on a couple years with them now with no problems. 

I have a Spark and love it.  We added the convenience package which add the more powerful engine, step and IBR (braking system).  Max speed in 50 MPH, which is plenty for this old man.  The Rotax engines are incredibly reliable.  I've had it since 2018 and only had two concerns.  A throttle issue which was quickly covered under warranty and I had to replace the battery last Summer.  As I recall, you are a Metro-Detroiter too.  We have had very good service from the folks over at Dee's Marine on Grosbeck & 16-mile, including winterizing there at the end of each season.

One more quick piece of advice, no matter what you buy.  If you are planning on using them on Lake St Clair or down by Belle Isle and the Detroit River, I suggest looking into Tow Boat US.  Basically and on demand emergency service.  We have never needed it, but the thought of losing power in the river was enough for us to but it each season.   

I had a Yamaha years ago and bought it over the Sea Doo. Loved it and would buy another Yamaha in a second vs a Sea Doo.

I have a Spark and love it.  We added the convenience package which add the more powerful engine, step and IBR (braking system).  Max speed in 50 MPH, which is plenty for this old man.  The Rotax engines are incredibly reliable.  I've had it since 2018 and only had two concerns.  A throttle issue which was quickly covered under warranty and I had to replace the battery last Summer.  As I recall, you are a Metro-Detroiter too.  We have had very good service from the folks over at Dee's Marine on Grosbeck & 16-mile, including winterizing there at the end of each season.

One more quick piece of advice, no matter what you buy.  If you are planning on using them on Lake St Clair or down by Belle Isle and the Detroit River, I suggest looking into Tow Boat US.  Basically and on demand emergency service.  We have never needed it, but the thought of losing power in the river was enough for us to but it each season.   
Yeah I am in Grosse Pointe and our park has storage and access to the lake. That is the plan.

Appreciate your advice. Take care. 

I have a Spark and love it.  We added the convenience package which add the more powerful engine, step and IBR (braking system).  Max speed in 50 MPH, which is plenty for this old man.  The Rotax engines are incredibly reliable. 
:goodposting:

I was going to post basically all of this. I have Sea Doos - one Spark trixx and a GTI SE. Both have IBR which in addition to braking, operates as a reverse, which makes it easier to dock. Sparks are a very good comparative value vs larger GTI/Yamaha Wave Runners. The trixx may be an unnecessary upgrade... basically just allows you to perform certain tricks that you can't do with the base model. Depending on whether you plan to have more than one person on frequently, 3 up may be better than 2 up. The Sparks are a bit more tippy than the larger GTI/Wave Runners, but I've never actually tipped over involuntarily myself... though with 2 people on maybe it happens more frequently.

What kind of numbers we talking for these water horses?   And how much time do people actually ride these at a time?  We talking drive to a lake, zoom around for an hour and then back home or is this just a cool accessory to the more expensive boat/lake house purchase?

NutterButter said:
What kind of numbers we talking for these water horses?   And how much time do people actually ride these at a time?  We talking drive to a lake, zoom around for an hour and then back home or is this just a cool accessory to the more expensive boat/lake house purchase?
My city has a park with wells on Lake St Clair. So for us, it would be a 5 minute drive. Looking around $10k a piece to me. But I just started looking. 

Upon more research, there are a lot of accessories available. What are the bare minimums I would need to have some fun with the family and do a little tubing?

Users who are viewing this thread