What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Joe Manchin (1 Viewer)

Help me understand how PPP funds went to shareholders. I don’t get how the money trail went for that statement to be factual. There were also caps on number of employees to be eligible for that plan, 500 if I recall right but it’s been awhile. If that is correct, the typical size business when we think of a corporation isn’t going to qualify. 

I’m certainly not saying PPP was the best way to handle it. I also think fraud was a huge problem. I just don’t think that program, as large as it was, created a huge shareholder windfall. 
How would I know?  I didn’t get a nickel.  Ask one of the rich guys on the board how they jobbed the system.  

How would I know?  I didn’t get a nickel.  Ask one of the rich guys on the board how they jobbed the system.  
I thought you’d know because the premise of your initial post was a statement of fact about shareholders making out with PPP funds. I asked given the program’s parameters how that could be true. It seems odd to be that upset about shareholders gaining something from that program if you genuinely have no idea as you just said what occurred. 

I thought you’d know because the premise of your initial post was a statement of fact about shareholders making out with PPP funds. I asked given the program’s parameters how that could be true. It seems odd to be that upset about shareholders gaining something from that program if you genuinely have no idea as you just said what occurred. 
Ok dude.  

I just did a quick Google. “Where did the PPP money go”

Here is the answer:  

“Key Takeaways. NBER analysis of PPP found that 75% of PPP funds went to business owners, shareholders, creditors, and suppliers and roughly 25% to workers who would have otherwise lost their jobs” .Jan 23, 2022

This is what I’m referring to.  Especially the shareholders.  Who we know is a very concentrated group of people on Wall Street who always seem to get the biggest and best handouts.  

If I'm reading @Sabertooth post correctly, his Google search provided an answer to his question. He posted it. He didn't personally make a statement of fact regarding shareholders getting PPP funds, the NBER analysis did. Not fully understanding how a fact could be does not preclude one from being upset about said fact.

My impression from that "Key Takeaways" paragraph that he posted is that businesses who received PPP funds turned around and distributed those funds at their own discretion. Thus shareholders getting a piece of the pie. 

I can understand creditors and suppliers getting a piece of the PPP pie because a business doesn't remain open if they can't pay their bills and workers have nothing to do if there are no supplies. The problem I have is owners and shareholders getting funds that were meant for workers. Seems reasonable to me to be upset by this. If this program worked as intended the breakdown of fund distribution would have been more in the neighborhood of 40% to creditors/suppliers to keep businesses open, 60% to workers to keep them employed.

Seems to me that businesses distributing funds to owners/shareholders instead of workers likely contributed to workers becoming unemployed as less money was available for them. Couple that with the additional funds the federal government shoveled to States unemployment coffers which raised monthly benefits also contributed to the reasons why many workers weren't in a hurry to go back to work. They got crapped on, again, by their employers who instead chose to enrich themselves instead of taking care of their workers and, the additional unemployment benefits made the decision rather easy to not return to employment situations where the likelihood of getting crapped on again still remained. 

In my town of 10000.  The guy who owned Dominoes Pizza got over 2 million (and his business just absolutely boomed) and the guy who owns the Verizon store got the same even though there wasn’t even really an interruption in his business either.  It was just another grift where rich got richer and poor got poorer.  Just like every single time.  A banker I know said they used to sit in the break room and share how appalled they were about who could and who couldn’t get the money.  Disgusting.  

For the record, my business was ineligible for a single dollar.  As a landlord I got ####ed bad.  The only thing that saved me was the housing market booming so I was able to sell off houses to keep the lights on.  
Many stories like this here also.

Now on this we agree. Businesses should have had to show adverse impacts to qualify. It was always a joke that companies like pizza delivery who not only operated, but benefitted, we’re eligible for these funds. 
I worked for a small landscaping company when covid started.  When PPP was introduced, the owner suddenly pressured the other landscapers to produce a SSN and be put on the books.  Covid never slowed down his business. Sales were booming on the nursery side.  His landscaping service was only limited by his $16/hr starting wage while charging customers close to $50/hr.  All the Covid money he received was pure profit.

The stimulus could have been given directly to essential workers during covid.  It would have cost less, with less fraud, etc.

https://projects.propublica.org/coronavirus/bailouts/

Everyone should look up their town or businesses they know and see how much PPP money they received.  My local church got over 350K.  A friend's law firm took 1.5 million.  I even saw multiple individuals using the same address in my town's ghetto with forgiven claims for 10-20K each.

I guess nobody cares about Manchin's corruption that I bumped this thread for.
I do. I read a similar article, raising all of the same issues with Manchins corruption tendencies, a month or so prior. It's why I read through your entire link, to see if anything additional was provided. This guy can claim he hasn't broken any laws which is likely true but, he can't claim that his actions and votes have consistently been a positive for his constituency when in fact they largely haven't. They've consistently been a positive for Joe Manchin, his family and his businesses. Period.

I hate to be jaded but it’s pretty much expected from all of them these days.   
No. I expect elected representatives to be held to high standards. I expect a very bright light shined on anyone who is corrupt. Otherwise the folks who need to be the face of change, the voting public, aren't going to become that voice. Each and every corrupt politician needs to be held accountable and the only way to do that is to expose that corruption. While you may hate to be jaded your post reflects an attitude of defeatism.

No. I expect elected representatives to be held to high standards. I expect a very bright light shined on anyone who is corrupt. Otherwise the folks who need to be the face of change, the voting public, aren't going to become that voice. Each and every corrupt politician needs to be held accountable and the only way to do that is to expose that corruption. While you may hate to be jaded your post reflects an attitude of defeatism.
I expect higher standards also.  It’s also becoming more and more that corporations and big donors have too big a say.  How many of these people are ever really accountable for their actions?  Few. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah. Just seems particularly galling how much power he has over something he profits from/makes future generations worse off.
Eventually the pitchforks will come out anc one of these guys is going to get assaulted or worse.  You can only #### 90% of the country so long and eventually they will literally fight back.  I have no problem with politicians being harassed.  It’s a class war, why do the poor need to be polite?  The rich sure aren’t polite as they line their pockets with constituents’ blood.    

I expect higher standards also.  It’s also becoming more and more that corporations and big donors have too big a say.  How many of these people are ever really ccountagle for their actions?  Few. 
None.  Elizabeth Holmes will get 2 years in country club and then walk out with hundreds of millions still sitting in Switzerland. 

If I'm reading @Sabertooth post correctly, his Google search provided an answer to his question. He posted it. He didn't personally make a statement of fact regarding shareholders getting PPP funds, the NBER analysis did. Not fully understanding how a fact could be does not preclude one from being upset about said fact.

My impression from that "Key Takeaways" paragraph that he posted is that businesses who received PPP funds turned around and distributed those funds at their own discretion. Thus shareholders getting a piece of the pie. 

I can understand creditors and suppliers getting a piece of the PPP pie because a business doesn't remain open if they can't pay their bills and workers have nothing to do if there are no supplies. The problem I have is owners and shareholders getting funds that were meant for workers. Seems reasonable to me to be upset by this. If this program worked as intended the breakdown of fund distribution would have been more in the neighborhood of 40% to creditors/suppliers to keep businesses open, 60% to workers to keep them employed.

Seems to me that businesses distributing funds to owners/shareholders instead of workers likely contributed to workers becoming unemployed as less money was available for them. Couple that with the additional funds the federal government shoveled to States unemployment coffers which raised monthly benefits also contributed to the reasons why many workers weren't in a hurry to go back to work. They got crapped on, again, by their employers who instead chose to enrich themselves instead of taking care of their workers and, the additional unemployment benefits made the decision rather easy to not return to employment situations where the likelihood of getting crapped on again still remained. 
To boil it down you are referring to fraud then. Nothing about the plan allowed for transfers of funds down the line to shareholders. To be clear, PPP had specific guidelines for how to use the funds in order for it to be reimbursed.

I’ll said it earlier and I’ll say again, there’s plenty of room to complain about the program. But you need to understand what it did and what truly occurred. It was one of the few times I think the bipartisan intent of the program was good, even though IMO it should have been geared to businesses truly impacted by the pandemic. 

I worked for a small landscaping company when covid started.  When PPP was introduced, the owner suddenly pressured the other landscapers to produce a SSN and be put on the books.  Covid never slowed down his business. Sales were booming on the nursery side.  His landscaping service was only limited by his $16/hr starting wage while charging customers close to $50/hr.  All the Covid money he received was pure profit.

The stimulus could have been given directly to essential workers during covid.  It would have cost less, with less fraud, etc.

https://projects.propublica.org/coronavirus/bailouts/

Everyone should look up their town or businesses they know and see how much PPP money they received.  My local church got over 350K.  A friend's law firm took 1.5 million.  I even saw multiple individuals using the same address in my town's ghetto with forgiven claims for 10-20K each.
I’m 100% with you on this. There’s no doubt small businesses who didn’t hit a bump in the road used it for their payrolls as well.

I really can’t see how anyone  middle class and up would be for this

Joe Manchin on Biden's Wealth Tax: 'You Can't Tax Something That's Not Earned.'

Joe Manchin keeps saying out loud the part that Joe Biden would rather keep quiet.

PETER SUDERMAN | 3.30.2022 9:58 AM

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare by emailPrint friendly versionCopy page URL

(Bonnie Cash / CNP / SplashNews/Newscom)

Ever since Joe Biden entered the White House, he's had a Joe Manchin problem. Most accounts of Biden's presidency cast this as a problem with Manchin's unwillingness to go along with Biden's agenda. Democrats hold exactly 50 seats in the Senate, and thus need every Democratic senator to pass a party-line vote; Manchin, the Senate's most centrist Democrat, has consistently resisted. 

But the problem is not only that Manchin is withholding his vote. It's that Manchin keeps bluntly and accurately describing the problems with Biden's policy proposals. To twist the Twitter-cliche, Joe Manchin keeps saying out loud the part that Joe Biden would rather keep quiet. 

I really can’t see how anyone  middle class and up would be for this

Joe Manchin on Biden's Wealth Tax: 'You Can't Tax Something That's Not Earned.'

Joe Manchin keeps saying out loud the part that Joe Biden would rather keep quiet.

PETER SUDERMAN | 3.30.2022 9:58 AM

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on RedditShare by emailPrint friendly versionCopy page URL

(Bonnie Cash / CNP / SplashNews/Newscom)

Ever since Joe Biden entered the White House, he's had a Joe Manchin problem. Most accounts of Biden's presidency cast this as a problem with Manchin's unwillingness to go along with Biden's agenda. Democrats hold exactly 50 seats in the Senate, and thus need every Democratic senator to pass a party-line vote; Manchin, the Senate's most centrist Democrat, has consistently resisted. 

But the problem is not only that Manchin is withholding his vote. It's that Manchin keeps bluntly and accurately describing the problems with Biden's policy proposals. To twist the Twitter-cliche, Joe Manchin keeps saying out loud the part that Joe Biden would rather keep quiet. 

Why would the middle class oppose this?

https://www.axios.com/biden-wealth-tax-plan-7caf4947-5e8b-4e04-9c96-0dbe77a38804.html

Details: "The Billionaire Minimum Income Tax" would apply to more than just billionaires. Per a White House fact sheet, it would require American households worth at least $100 million to pay at least a 20% minimum tax on all income, realized and unrealized.

We're still awaiting all sorts of specifics, including how that $100 million would be calculated. For example, does it include the value of illiquid assets like fine art or real estate? What about highly volatile assets like cryptocurrencies? It's pretty complex stuff, which is a big reason why the IRS has historically taxed Americans on realized cash values.

The bottom line: Tax the rich is usually a surefire winner at the ballot box. But not on Capitol Hill.

I’ll give my personal experience of ppp loans.  I own a preschool and the loans saved the business.  Our school closed 6 times during covid, the first time was 2 months (March 2020 to May 2020). No tuition money coming in and continuing expenses.  When we reopened, we had lost 75% of the kids.  It wasn’t until early 2021 that we recouped the pre-pandemic levels.  We have about 12 employees.  Let me know if you have any questions.   

Shareholders would benefit indirectly.    The pizza chains around me are franchises.  It’s in  pizza Hut’s (Pepsi owned) best interest to make sure those franchises are open, and they help them cut thru the red tape to get the PPP loan. Pizza Hut corporate is getting a cut of the gross sales.  Independent small businesses like you struggled to get money.

I’ll give my personal experience of ppp loans.  I own a preschool and the loans saved the business.  Our school closed 6 times during covid, the first time was 2 months (March 2020 to May 2020). No tuition money coming in and continuing expenses.  When we reopened, we had lost 75% of the kids.  It wasn’t until early 2021 that we recouped the pre-pandemic levels.  We have about 12 employees.  Let me know if you have any questions.   
Would you say the PPP you received were less than you need, about what you needed, or more than you needed.  Did you have to pay them back? 

Shareholders would benefit indirectly.    The pizza chains around me are franchises.  It’s in  pizza Hut’s (Pepsi owned) best interest to make sure those franchises are open, and they help them cut thru the red tape to get the PPP loan. Pizza Hut corporate is getting a cut of the gross sales.  Independent small businesses like you struggled to get money.
So corporation didn’t struggle at all and actually made record profit while mom and pops were crushed.  And all those mom and pops who got crushed now get to go work themselves to the bones to repay their debts while corporation get it wiped out.  

Anyone thinking we don’t live in a corporate oligarchy is kidding themselves.  Eventually the mom and pops will be all gone and we can all go sacrifice ourselves at the foot of Pepsi and Amazon.  

Would you say the PPP you received were less than you need, about what you needed, or more than you needed.  Did you have to pay them back? 
Both ppp loans are forgiven and they totaled 90k.  Absent the loans, I lost money during 2020 when under normal circumstances the business should have cleared 100k so I was made whole.

So corporation didn’t struggle at all and actually made record profit while mom and pops were crushed.  And all those mom and pops who got crushed now get to go work themselves to the bones to repay their debts while corporation get it wiped out.  

Anyone thinking we don’t live in a corporate oligarchy is kidding themselves.  Eventually the mom and pops will be all gone and we can all go sacrifice ourselves at the foot of Pepsi and Amazon.  
MY main supplier was bought out by wall st, it’s been a nightmare ever since.  But hey, their numbers are good for the shareholders.

Why would the middle class oppose this?

https://www.axios.com/biden-wealth-tax-plan-7caf4947-5e8b-4e04-9c96-0dbe77a38804.html

Details: "The Billionaire Minimum Income Tax" would apply to more than just billionaires. Per a White House fact sheet, it would require American households worth at least $100 million to pay at least a 20% minimum tax on all income, realized and unrealized.

We're still awaiting all sorts of specifics, including how that $100 million would be calculated. For example, does it include the value of illiquid assets like fine art or real estate? What about highly volatile assets like cryptocurrencies? It's pretty complex stuff, which is a big reason why the IRS has historically taxed Americans on realized cash values.

The bottom line: Tax the rich is usually a surefire winner at the ballot box. But not on Capitol Hill.
You can't tax something that isn't earned.  lol 

Can't believe they even thought this might have the slightest chance in hell.  

Dems are throwing desperate Hail Mary's with the clock running out.

There are a lot of them up where you are.
My county is below the poverty line and went 65% Trump.  The only county in the UP that didn’t go Trump is Marquette county.  Marquette is by far the largest town.  They have the most doctors and the largest university.  They are booming.  Maybe that’s because they don’t vote for knuckleheads like Beau LaFave who brought his AR15 to the State Capitol building to look like a badass.  He then promptly got it stolen from his apartment in Lansing like 3 days later.  I chuckled. 

My county is below the poverty line and went 65% Trump.  The only county in the UP that didn’t go Trump is Marquette county.  Marquette is by far the largest town.  They have the most doctors and the largest university.  They are booming.  Maybe that’s because they don’t vote for knuckleheads like Beau LaFave who brought his AR15 to the State Capitol building to look like a badass.  He then promptly got it stolen from his apartment in Lansing like 3 days later.  I chuckled. 
Berrien has been red for years.  I think it will switch in the next couple of elections.  A lot of Chicagoans moved here permanently and will bring their voting habits, while living on the Lake Michigan beach.

at least you had a couple HS basketball teams in the finals last weekend from the UP.

This is why. Unrealized gains , especially on real estate . Once they hit the extremely wealthy with this and is entrenched  it will flow downhill

You can't tax something that isn't earned.  lol 

Can't believe they even thought this might have the slightest chance in hell.  

Dems are throwing desperate Hail Mary's with the clock running out.
You can tax unrealized gains.  However, I doubt it will pass because of the power that wealthy people wield within both parties.  I wonder if the Biden admin put this forward while knowing that it would never pass.

The proposed tax is on households with a net worth over 100 million.   If you think this is a threat to the "middle class" then we should abandon the idea of taxing the wealthy because apparently any tax imposed upon them will be twisted by talking heads and presented to folks as a threat to the middle class.

You can tax unrealized gains.  However, I doubt it will pass because of the power that wealthy people wield within both parties.  I wonder if the Biden admin put this forward while knowing that it would never pass.

The proposed tax is on households with a net worth over 100 million.   If you think this is a threat to the "middle class" then we should abandon the idea of taxing the wealthy because apparently any tax imposed upon them will be twisted by talking heads and presented to folks as a threat to the middle class.
No you can't.

"You can't tax something that isn't earned" - Joe Manchin  This thing is dead.

Biden should have known it would never pass, but, he's been quite incompetent so who knows.

When something that is titled as a "Billionaire" tax and then reported that it's for less than that you might want to read the fine print.  But, it's dead anyway, good riddance.  

I am all in for abandoning the idea of taxing the wealthy, good idea.  

No you can't.

"You can't tax something that isn't earned" - Joe Manchin  This thing is dead.

Biden should have known it would never pass, but, he's been quite incompetent so who knows.

When something that is titled as a "Billionaire" tax and then reported that it's for less than that you might want to read the fine print.  But, it's dead anyway, good riddance.  

I am all in for abandoning the idea of taxing the wealthy, good idea.  
Uhh, yes, you can tax it.  Parroting Joe Manchin's quote doesn't demonstrate why unrealized gains can't be taxed.  I'm open to hearing you explain in your own words, though.

Property taxes increase when a home receives a higher appraisal.  The owner has not received capital gains and yet they are paying more in taxes to reflect the increased value of their asset.  This wealth tax would likely rely upon yearly appraisals.  If the asset is sold at a future date and the tax owed on the gains is less than what has already been paid, the owner would be due a refund.

Did you read the fine print?  You are up in arms over a proposed tax on 100MM+ net worth individuals.  'These people aren't billionaires--they're basically middle class!'

Uhh, yes, you can tax it.  Parroting Joe Manchin's quote doesn't demonstrate why unrealized gains can't be taxed.  I'm open to hearing you explain in your own words, though.

Property taxes increase when a home receives a higher appraisal.  The owner has not received capital gains and yet they are paying more in taxes to reflect the increased value of their asset.  This wealth tax would likely rely upon yearly appraisals.  If the asset is sold at a future date and the tax owed on the gains is less than what has already been paid, the owner would be due a refund.

Did you read the fine print?  You are up in arms over a proposed tax on 100MM+ net worth individuals.  'These people aren't billionaires--they're basically middle class!'
Stocks aren't real property.

No need to read the fine print anymore.  It's dead.  

Berrien has been red for years.  I think it will switch in the next couple of elections.  A lot of Chicagoans moved here permanently and will bring their voting habits, while living on the Lake Michigan beach.

at least you had a couple HS basketball teams in the finals last weekend from the UP.
Yes we did.  It’s hard for us to compete with the downstate teams. 

Caveman33 said:

so by your example, a stock/crypto/whatever is up pretty big at the end of 2021, the person holding it is taxed for their unrealized gains.

then in Q1 2022, because of inflation/war/whatever other unforeseen event, the stock drops 70% (by the way, this isn’t even an unrealistic example, it just happened to a bunch of stocks).  So you get to recognize that total loss in 2022 as negative income?  Nope, you’re limited to capital losses of $3K a year.  

I don’t care if this happens to Jeff Bezos, that’s complete BS.

so by your example, a stock/crypto/whatever is up pretty big at the end of 2021, the person holding it is taxed for their unrealized gains.

then in Q1 2022, because of inflation/war/whatever other unforeseen event, the stock drops 70% (by the way, this isn’t even an unrealistic example, it just happened to a bunch of stocks).  So you get to recognize that total loss in 2022 as negative income?  Nope, you’re limited to capital losses of $3K a year.  

I don’t care if this happens to Jeff Bezos, that’s complete BS.
No.  In the scenario you've described where the unrealized gains turn into a loss the next year, the individual would be due a refund of the taxes they already paid for the unrealized gains.  Similar to how if your income tax withholding for the year exceeds the amount of income tax you owe, you receive a refund.

https://home.treasury.gov/system/files/131/General-Explanations-FY2023.pdf

The relevant section is on pages 34-36.

Uncredited prepayments would be available to be credited against capital gains taxes due upon realization of gains, to the extent that the amount of uncredited prepayments, reduced by the cumulative amount of unpaid installments of the minimum tax (net uncredited prepayments), exceeds 20 percent of unrealized gains. Refunds would be provided to the extent that net uncredited prepayments exceed the long-term capital gains rate (inclusive of applicable surtaxes) times the taxpayer’s unrealized gains – such as after unrealized loss or charitable gift. However, refunds would first offset any remaining installment payments of minimum tax before being refundable in cash.

No.  In the scenario you've described where the unrealized gains turn into a loss the next year, the individual would be due a refund of the taxes they already paid for the unrealized gains.  Similar to how if your income tax withholding for the year exceeds the amount of income tax you owe, you receive a refund.

https://home.treasury.gov/system/files/131/General-Explanations-FY2023.pdf

The relevant section is on pages 34-36.
So the government is going to take on some risk for things like the crypto market?  Yeah right.   :lmao:

Stock market crashes, crypto dies, government owes all the millionaires and cyber punks billions of dollars. 

What a stupid idea.  So glad this thing is D E A D dead.

So the government is going to take on some risk for things like the crypto market?  Yeah right.   :lmao:

Stock market crashes, crypto dies, government owes all the millionaires and cyber punks billions of dollars. 

What a stupid idea.  So glad this thing is D E A D dead.
I don't see how the government is taking on risk.  If the 100MM+ net worth individual loses all their money on foolish investments, the government would not be refunding their losses, only the previous years "wealth tax" or prepayments that the individual made on those investments when they were unrealized gains.

Now that I am actually reading the tax proposal, I see more of the complications.  I think all of us are talking about something that we don't fully understand.  Maybe some tax experts can chime in with clarity and insight.

Of course that's your contention. You a first year grad student? You prolly just got finished reading some Marxian historian, Pete Garrison probably, you’re gonna be convinced of that until next month when you get to James Lemon, then you’re gonna be talking about how the economies of Virginia and Pennsylvania were entrepreneurial and capitalist way back in 1740. That's gonna last until next year, you’re gonna be in here regurgitating Gordon Wood, talkin’ about, you know, the Pre-revolutionary utopia and the capital-forming effects of military mobilization.

Of course, you'll say that "Wood drastically underestimates the impact of social distinctions predicated upon wealth, especially inherited wealth..." Okay.  You got that from Vickers, Work in Essex County, Page 98, right? Yeah I read that too. Were you gonna plagiarize the whole thing for us—you have any thoughts of—of your own on this matter? Or do—is that your thing, you come into a forum, you read some obscure passage and then you pretend, you pawn it off as your own—your own idea just to impress some of your virtue pals, embarrass my friend?
Is this a copypasta? 

I'm a CPA and I couldn't begin to tell you how you'd fairly value assets like real estate and the games that would go on for valuations.  It would make the accounting profession more wealthy though, that I can guarantee.  Wealth taxes were tried in Europe and failed.

I'm a CPA and I couldn't begin to tell you how you'd fairly value assets like real estate and the games that would go on for valuations.  It would make the accounting profession more wealthy though, that I can guarantee.  Wealth taxes were tried in Europe and failed.
it would be about as accurate as the credit agency reviews.   

- another CPA

Users who are viewing this thread