What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

jordan tripp (MIA) -- 5th round rookie LB 2014 (1 Viewer)

12punch

Footballguy
Why Jordan Tripp Is Sure to Be a Stud for Miami Dolphins

I realize this is the time of year everybody's going to the hall of fame, and he's got 3 entrenched contracts to get past, but I thought this was kind of interesting, if just with an eye towards 2015.

although, I'm sure all the dynasty guys have already read 4 years of his mail.

here are some contracts copied from rotoworld

koa misi - 9/7/2013: Signed a five-year, $17.72 million contract. The deal contains $9 million guaranteed, and annual $100,000 workout bonuses. 2014: $1.725 million, 2015: $3.835 million, 2016: $4.275 million, 2017: $4.175 million, 2018: Free Agent

wheeler - 3/12/2013: Signed a five-year, $26 million contract. The deal contains $13 million guaranteed -- a $7 million signing bonus and each of Wheeler's first two base salaries. 2014: $5 million, 2015: $2.9 million, 2016-2017: $4.9 million, 2018: Free Agent

ellerbe - 3/12/2013: Signed a five-year, $34.75 million contract. The deal contains $14 million guaranteed -- a $7 million signing bonus and each of Ellerbe's first two base salaries. Ellerbe is eligible for annual $25,000 workout bonuses throughout the contract's life. 2014: $6 million, 2015: $8.425 million, 2016: $6.45 million, 2017: $6 million, 2018: Free Agent

fwiw, and the article makes mention of it, PFF has been pretty down on both ellerbe and wheeler

Last edited by a moderator:
looking at that again, I wonder if he could actually supplant koa misi as early as sometime this season.

I know all this is supposed to be determined by your play on the field, 1.7m doesn't seem too exorbitant for your 4th lb

edit: they're stuck with wheeler and ellerbe because of the guaranteed money, but if those guys play poorly this year they won't be around next year, I don't think -- at least ellerbe won't at 8m.

you'd think at some point they'd want to get tripp some live fire games if he's any kind of option to evaluate their offseason lb situation.

from nfl.com

Strengths Triggers fast downhill vs. the run. Diagnoses quickly and is around the ball a lot. Outstanding motor, intensity and effort. Extremely competitive. Very tough. Outstanding weight-room work ethic. Sculpted with very minimal body fat. Elected team captain. Exceptional character. Emergency long snapper (started all four years). Has a special-teams temperament. Takes the game very seriously. Athleticism was on display at the combine -- paced linebackers with a 3.96-second short shuttle, recorded a 6.89-second 3-cone drill and vertical jumped 37 1/2 inches.
Weaknesses Has short flappers and gets stuck on blocks. Can do a better job using his hands to stack and shed. Plays a bit too out of control. Tightness shows up in space trying to break down and secure open-field tackles (misses too many). Wound tight in coverage and not quick to redirect (allows separation).
[bramel raining on my parade] Jordan Tripp has gained a cult following of sorts as a small school standout who has flashed an athletic and relentless style of play. He's easy to like, but I think he's limited to a flow and chase role. He struggled with the physical level of play at the Senior Bowl when asked to play between the tackles. There's a chance he'll gain enough size to carve out a bigger role in an NFL weight and conditioning program, but he's not yet projectable into more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wheeler and Ellerbee were terrible last year and both were awful contracts signed by an incompetent gm. Either Tripp or Jenkins should be the lb to own this year. I lean towards the one with an extra year experience. Misi is not a huge final hurdle himself either.

here's a couple write ups on him

one

two

think I'm ready to jump off the bandwagon
I don't see anything in those write-ups to sway me either way at this point. He's a young kid from a smaller school who has a lot to fine-tune. Sounds like a lot of guys.

Thanks for bringing him up though, I'm going to keep him in mind.

here's a couple write ups on him

one

two

think I'm ready to jump off the bandwagon
I don't see anything in those write-ups to sway me either way at this point. He's a young kid from a smaller school who has a lot to fine-tune. Sounds like a lot of guys.

Thanks for bringing him up though, I'm going to keep him in mind.
One of these reference his stiff hips. He had the 4th best time among linebackers in the 3 cone drill at the combine. That would seem to mitigate a scout's impression of stiff hips, wouldn't it? I'll gamble on the youngster...always need more young LB prospects, right?

h's all kinds of later round guys that never amount to more than back ups and special teams, but he kind of caught my interest just because the guys in front of him seem so soft, and ellerbe has to be gone next year at a minimum.

I suppose they could always ditch ellerbe and leapfrog this guy with a 2nd rounder next year, but you could say that about any kind of dynasty speculation.

Users who are viewing this thread