What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Josh McCown v. Jay Cutler (1 Viewer)

CHI is tied for the division lead... what's with all this "CHI has no shot at the playoffs BS"?

They need to win. Bottom line. Anyone who thinks a QB who has been #### kicked all season, and sat out the last month due to those injuries is the better bet to take them there are sadly mistaken.

If this were a Flynn v Rodgers argument, then ya, I see your point... But you have a QB who is just lighting it up and has unreal chemistry w his whole offense. You bench that WHY?

Like I said earlier... look for Cutler to be "injured" until the Bears lose again (if they lose again)

As a Rodgers, McCown, and Cutler owner, I'm terrified of Cutler returning next week.

Frankly, if Cutler starts I will probably go to the wire for a starter. The guy is a walking turnover. No idea how you could go back to him in the thick of a playoff push.

If this were a Flynn v Rodgers argument, then ya, I see your point... But you have a QB who is just lighting it up and has unreal chemistry w his whole offense. You bench that WHY?
Yup. Cutler is talented but he's not a superstar. This isn't Aaron Rodgers who obviously gets his job back when healthy regardless of how the backup(s) have played. This is a guy who the last time we saw him did not look good due to injury and whose return could derail the team's playoff chances if he struggles for any reason.I know this is a tough spot for Trestman but I don't see how you go away from McCown at this point. There are only 3 games left and the Bears likely will need to win them all. Why even risk the chance you could disrupt the team's offensive rhythm, especially when you know you're going to have to rely on your offense to win games given how bad your defense is.

I really don't think there is anything Cutler can do to improve the performance of the offense. But, he will play when he's ready for no other reason than Emery and Trestman need more to evaluate him on going into this crucial offseason.

CHI is tied for the division lead... what's with all this "CHI has no shot at the playoffs BS"?

They need to win. Bottom line. Anyone who thinks a QB who has been #### kicked all season, and sat out the last month due to those injuries is the better bet to take them there are sadly mistaken.

Like I said earlier... look for Cutler to be "injured" until the Bears lose again (if they lose again)
High ankle sprains are more often than not serious. Adrian Peterson missed 7 weeks in college. Cutler is legitimately not ready or he would be on the field.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you had to drop one today for the last two games (b/c Cutler came off my IR), who would it be? It kills me, but I have to send McCown packing and I know someone will pick him up.

If you had to drop one today for the last two games (b/c Cutler came off my IR), who would it be? It kills me, but I have to send McCown packing and I know someone will pick him up.
In what world was Cutler eligible for an IR spot?

Let's not get sidetracked here...

Just about everyone in this thread needs to find out who is starting. If McCown is starting and Cutler is dressing? If Cutler is starting? Or if McCown is starting and Cutler is not dressing...

If McCown is starting and Cutler is dressing I am nervous. If Cutler is starting I think there is too much risk to roll with him. If McCown is starting and Cutler is not dressing, I am starting McCown with confidence over everyone not named Manning, Brees, or Stafford.

Any homers have any insight from local media/radio sources?

I'd be more nervous starting Cutler if both were healthy. We've already seen Cutler struggle and play poorly due to injury with McCown coming in late and looking great as usual. We've yet to see McCown start and look so bad he should be benched. Anything's possible, of course, but all things being equal I'd say the chances of Cutler being sat for McCown are far greater than McCown being sat for Cutler.

In what world was Cutler eligible for an IR spot?

Every time he's declared "out", he's eligible for an IR spot on the bench.

Just about everyone in this thread needs to find out who is starting. If McCown is starting and Cutler is dressing? If Cutler is starting? Or if McCown is starting and Cutler is not dressing...

If McCown is starting and Cutler is dressing I am nervous. If Cutler is starting I think there is too much risk to roll with him. If McCown is starting and Cutler is not dressing, I am starting McCown with confidence over everyone not named Manning, Brees, or Stafford.

If Cutler can play, he's starting. He has no short leash, he has the full confidence of everyone in the organization. ESPN and NFL network are trying to stir up a qb battle where there is none

If Cutler can play, he's starting. He has no short leash, he has the full confidence of everyone in the organization. ESPN and NFL network are trying to stir up a qb battle where there is none
Yep. And they're not starting him if he's not able to play the whole game. If he starts, he's in my lineup.

If the Bears were smart they would let McCown play himself OUT of the position...start him until he struggles ...Then pull him

Trestman said he is optimistic and expects Cutler to start this week barring any setbacks.

FWIW McCown could have thrown 3-4 ints vs Dal. I get killed here for boxscore scouting, but I don't see it with McCown. Alshon is bailing him out. He's smart for throwing those jumpballs to Alshon when needed, unlike Cutler. You have to watch out when some backups get hot, especially during primetime. I don't think he's a Nick Foles per say. This is more Case Keenum. He's a good backup, not someone with franchise potential. That's not really a bad thing for da Bears, i'm just saying...

He's costing Cutler a ton of money every time Jeffery is making the play of the week. That sucks

FWIW McCown could have thrown 3-4 ints vs Dal. I get killed here for boxscore scouting, but I don't see it with McCown. Alshon is bailing him out. He's smart for throwing those jumpballs to Alshon when needed, unlike Cutler. You have to watch out when some backups get hot, especially during primetime. I don't think he's a Nick Foles per say. This is more Case Keenum. He's a good backup, not someone with franchise potential. That's not really a bad thing for da Bears, i'm just saying...

He's costing Cutler a ton of money every time Jeffery is making the play of the week. That sucks
he almost threw one in the endzone too, one that Cutler would have been crucified for, even if he got away with it. I can't thank Josh enough for keeping the season alive, but if the Bears want a playoff run, Cutler needs to be back and healthy

As it appears now, it looks like Cutler will get the start...

Personally I don't understand this - It looks like they want Cutler to take a paycut, he doesn't want to... Prob be gone next year, so why not ride the hot hand?

McCown is the first Bears QB in history to throw for 300+ yards in three consecutive games. For #### sake Trestman, let him attempt to make it four.

I hope Cutler starts, I'm facing Jeffery this week and Jeffery puts up bigger numbers with McCown than Cutler.
Hopefully they will lean on the Forte and the run game then. Haden and company can limit the WR's

Browns D might be a good play now. :lmao:

Cutler will somehow force feed Marshall like always, if Haden covers Marshall, he should have a pick or two.

Personally I don't understand this - It looks like they want Cutler to take a paycut, he doesn't want to... Prob be gone next year, so why not ride the hot hand?
Why does it look like that? I missed the press conference where Emery said "we're hoping Jay takes a paycut because Josh is playing well in this system"

Why does it look like that? I missed the press conference where Emery said "we're hoping Jay takes a paycut because Josh is playing well in this system"
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3608/jay-cutler

Paycut has been reported a bunch of times... Trest said when Jay is healthy, he'll start - It appears he is healthy.

Pay cut? He's making 8.5 million. The free agent market is going to double that. More than likely the bears will pay it.

Pay cut? He's making 8.5 million. The free agent market is going to double that. More than likely the bears will pay it.
On what planet is Jay Cutler worth $17MM a year?

Whether he's "worth it" or not, he's likely to get it.

I'd rather them get closer to 15 per year. Romo and Flacco are getting 20-plus so it's not a stretch.

Haven't seen this posted--Fox Sports take: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/for-once-quarterback-controversy-is-a-pleasant-quandary-121113

In the NFL, you can’t just be happy with the impressive play of your backup quarterback when the starter goes down. Instead, you have to also use his play as a potential existential crisis that could drag the squad down with it.

McCown’s five total touchdowns in the win over the Cowboys — building on an already strong season in which McCown had thrown nine touchdowns to only one interception — raise a question, in the minds of many: Even if/when Cutler finally recovers from the various injuries that have dogged him this year, can you really bench a guy as hot as McCown has been?

Of course, say Brandon Marshall, former Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher and even McCown himself.

Haven't seen this posted--Fox Sports take: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/for-once-quarterback-controversy-is-a-pleasant-quandary-121113

In the NFL, you can’t just be happy with the impressive play of your backup quarterback when the starter goes down. Instead, you have to also use his play as a potential existential crisis that could drag the squad down with it.

McCown’s five total touchdowns in the win over the Cowboys — building on an already strong season in which McCown had thrown nine touchdowns to only one interception — raise a question, in the minds of many: Even if/when Cutler finally recovers from the various injuries that have dogged him this year, can you really bench a guy as hot as McCown has been?

Of course, say Brandon Marshall, former Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher and even McCown himself.
Of course they didn't ask Jeffery! Good read and thx for sharing.

They'll tag him before they pay that. The Joe Flacco experience is too fresh in everybodys mind, and the Bears have huge holes to fill already. Take the cap hit next year and start planning for the future.

If you can get Cutler for a reasonable number, great, but if not the scenario of letting Tresman handpick a draft pick and tutor him backing up Cutler (or McCown if you dont wanna pay the franchise cap hit) for a year isn't a terrible idea. Otoh, if you give Jay a huge long term deal, is there any way you burn a first day pick on a QB? Maybe a late, late pick but theyve been down that road a ton hoping for a miracle.

I like Cutler but he's got a lot of wear and tear for a 31 year old- and I think we've kinda seen what his ceiling looks like even with this new offense (which is high, but he's still gonna be Jay and force balls and miss open receivers no matter who is in charge of him).

In other words, there's an opportunity cost if you play a B+ Jay Cutler for 5 years, when maybe the QB Whisperer can hand pick a QB and groom him to be something really special.

Soulfly3 said:
I, for one, never said they had no shot AT the playoffs.

I said they have no shot IN the playoffs. Setting yourself back for the future to maximize your chances of getting your brains beat if you juuuuust squeak into the post-season is not a good idea.

In the NFL, you cant just be happy with the impressive play of your backup quarterback when the starter goes down. Instead, you have to also use his play as a potential existential crisis that could drag the squad down with it.

McCowns five total touchdowns in the win over the Cowboys building on an already strong season in which McCown had thrown nine touchdowns to only one interception raise a question, in the minds of many: Even if/when Cutler finally recovers from the various injuries that have dogged him this year, can you really bench a guy as hot as McCown has been?

Of course they didn't ask Jeffery! Good read and thx for sharing.
Jeffery's first 200 yard game came with cutler at qb. I don't know how people have created This myth that mccown created a Jeffery emergence.

Exactly. Franchise QBs don't test free agency these days. It's not happening. Whether he's worth 15 million or 20 million, the Bears are going to pay him what it takes to keep him. Now they will play the leverage game and try and get him for as cheap as possible, which is only smart business, but there is zero chance he leaves. On what planet is Jay Cutler worth $17MM a year?

Soulfly3 said:

I said they have no shot IN the playoffs. Setting yourself back for the future to maximize your chances of getting your brains beat if you juuuuust squeak into the post-season is not a good idea.
With that offense, they will always have a shot

Bingo. As well as Josh has played he has been really fortunate with some of his passes, instead of 1800/13/1 he could realistically have 1800/13/8. Would this debate be going on if that was the case.

Soulfly3 said:

With that offense, they will always have a shot
Did you see the Saints in Seattle? Think the Bears offense outstrips the Saints?

Bingo. As well as Josh has played he has been really fortunate with some of his passes, instead of 1800/13/1 he could realistically have 1800/13/8. Would this debate be going on if that was the case.
Which would put him exactly where Jay Cutler is on the season, ironically. I'll take the Ints McCown could have thrown over the ints that Cutler did throw.

Soulfly3 said:

I agree. It's a know fact that the one of top two seeds have always won the SB.

Soulfly3 said:

I agree. It's a know fact that the one of top two seeds have always won the SB.
How often do 8-8 teams win the superbowl? That just lost to friggin Minnesota. Anybody who thinks this team at this time is suddenly going to go on a hot streak and compete with the 9ers or Seattle is nuts. The eagles would wipe them out.

Users who are viewing this thread