What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Justin Smith DE (1 Viewer)

CBower4545

Footballguy
I just started a Zealots league. I have played in one other IDP league a couple years back, so help me understand this. I just win Justin Smith Auction bid I started it out at 200 zbucks (proxy bidding wasn't yet established). He drew absolutely no interest. I won him for 200 zbucks. Anthony Borbely has him ranked 11th DE as of 2/4. Why no interest for a guy finishing 10th,26th, 10th in the last 3 years. We have to start 2 DE, so he is playable. I understand the drop off in points isn't huge between top 12 DE and top 30 DE, but still it looks like being able to start 2 top ten DEs is worth a couple points per game advantage. At the same time long shot bench offensive players like Danny Ware, Sinnorice Moss, Deshawn Wynn, draw more interest. 200 zbucks is less than 3% of mine and most teams funds. Shouldn't the small advantage in actually per game point be worth more then 3% of your zbucks. What am I missing?

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to play in Zealots leagues and my opinion is that unless you've got a top 5 DE, you are just as well off taking your shot at whatever DE's are available on the WW. And unless they've changed the scoring in Zealots, IDP scoring isn't that great anyway.

It's probably a combination of age, concern that he may yet be changed to a LB if Mike Singletary moves away from Nolan's hybrid and more toward a 3-4 (though that's pretty unlikely), inconsistent play, low relative IDP value making offensive longshots more valuable and the relative depth of the DL2 crowd after the top players.

Graph out the points of the top 30-60 players by position. I think you will see that there is not much drop off and value for the DL position. LB and DB has more value in the league with points beeing awarded for int return yardage,

Thanks guys. You've given me somethings to look into and think about. I am starting to think I am going to need more help for this Zealots rebuild then I first thought.

It's probably a combination of age, concern that he may yet be changed to a LB if Mike Singletary moves away from Nolan's hybrid and more toward a 3-4 (though that's pretty unlikely), inconsistent play, low relative IDP value making offensive longshots more valuable and the relative depth of the DL2 crowd after the top players.
:ptts: I've heard zero talk of this happening. Love to hear where you heard this, Jene.

:mellow: I've heard zero talk of this happening. Love to hear where you heard this, Jene.
I haven't. Was just giving possible reasons that some may be leery of rostering him, hence the unlikely comment. Singletary was clearly using Smith more as a end-tackle hybrid than a LB by the end of 2008. With both Manny Lawson and Parys Haralson still under contract, that should continue to be the case.Probably shouldn't have included that in the list, or at least written the sentence in order of likely concerns rather than as it came to mind.

Users who are viewing this thread