What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Keeper startup : Who to draft next? (1 Viewer)

Jayded

Footballguy
12 team, Half PPR

Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 W/R/T Flex

We're somewhat between keeper and dynasty because owners wouldn't go full dynasty: Keep up to 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE. If you want to keep a K or D instead, you give up one of the other keepers to do so. No limit or penalty for keeping, so I can keep my first round pick this year forever if I want to at no cost.

We're doing a slow draft (up to 24 hours to pick) and I'll be up again tomorrow at the turn for round 6/7 and am torn.

Here's my current roster:

QB: (empty)

RB: S. Barkley, S. Michel

WR: A. Cooper, K. Golladay

TE: T. Kelce

These are the options still out there by position that I'm considering:

QB: Carson Wentz, Kyler Murray, Russell Wilson

RB: Tevin Coleman, Tarik Cohen, Derrius Guice, Darrell Henderson, Kareem Hunt, Royce Freeman

WR: Jarvis Landry, Tyler Boyd, Alshon Jeffrey, Dante Pettis, Christian Kirk

Thoughts:

I'm worried if I wait too long I'll have a crappy QB and have to look to next year or further to really plug the long term hole. I like Wentz and am intrigued by Murray but if I wait, I'm worried they'll both be gone when it comes back around to me. 

I'm very tempted to go RB-RB if I don't get my QB this go around and would lean to Guice and Kareem Hunt for upside this year and potential for keeper. I'm obviously going to keep Saquon but RB2 could be wide open and/or a trade asset.

Should I grab my QB next and only pick one of the RBs or should I go RB-RB and risk my QB preferences not coming back around to me?

Gut reaction for either scenario is Wentz + Guice vs. Guice + Hunt. I'm totally open to listening if I should be going much harder after Murray and wait to see if Hunt makes it back around to me because of his suspension.

12 team, Half PPR

Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 W/R/T Flex

We're somewhat between keeper and dynasty because owners wouldn't go full dynasty: Keep up to 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE. If you want to keep a K or D instead, you give up one of the other keepers to do so. No limit or penalty for keeping, so I can keep my first round pick this year forever if I want to at no cost.

We're doing a slow draft (up to 24 hours to pick) and I'll be up again tomorrow at the turn for round 6/7 and am torn.

Here's my current roster:

QB: (empty)

RB: S. Barkley, S. Michel

WR: A. Cooper, K. Golladay

These are the options still out there by position that I'm considering:

QB: Carson Wentz, Kyler Murray, Russell Wilson

RB: Tevin Coleman, Tarik Cohen, Derrius Guice, Darrell Henderson, Kareem Hunt, Royce Freeman

WR: Jarvis Landry, Tyler Boyd, Alshon Jeffrey, Dante Pettis, Christian Kirk

Thoughts:

I'm worried if I wait too long I'll have a crappy QB and have to look to next year or further to really plug the long term hole. I like Wentz and am intrigued by Murray but if I wait, I'm worried they'll both be gone when it comes back around to me. 

I'm very tempted to go RB-RB if I don't get my QB this go around and would lean to Guice and Kareem Hunt for upside this year and potential for keeper. I'm obviously going to keep Saquon but RB2 could be wide open and/or a trade asset.

Should I grab my QB next and only pick one of the RBs or should I go RB-RB and risk my QB preferences not coming back around to me?

Gut reaction for either scenario is Wentz + Guice vs. Guice + Hunt. I'm totally open to listening if I should be going much harder after Murray and wait to see if Hunt makes it back around to me because of his suspension.
You've got a solid core so I would look to take a chance or two. If you wait on a QB you can still pick up someone like Winston or Allen later in the draft and be totally fine with that. The gap isn't going to be that high between those two and Wentz. My vote is Guice/Hunt. 

You've got a solid core so I would look to take a chance or two. If you wait on a QB you can still pick up someone like Winston or Allen later in the draft and be totally fine with that. The gap isn't going to be that high between those two and Wentz. My vote is Guice/Hunt. 
I agree with this and those two RB's would be an awesome addition to chose from next year and beyond.  If you can live with one of the other QB's mentioned then I would go RB/RB, if you really have to have one of those QB's, and there are still quite a few people that need to draft them also, then I would take a QB now and the RB you favour the most.  I personally like Hunt but obviously that's for the future and not so much this year.  Good luck and answer back here after your next pick and let us know what you did.

I would put Wilson ahead of those qb choices.  I also don't have a lot of confidence in Guice due to the injuries.  However he is probably the right risk at this point.  I would also try and get Damian Harris as Sony insurance soon.  

For this round it would depend on how many QB's have already been drafted and the chance one in your tier making it back.  

I don't really like taking Hunt this early as a freeze opportunity only......which is really what he amounts to at this point.  

I would go Guice and Wilson.

I'd go Guice here, and probably leaning Hunt if he's there next. QB is super deep, even if you pass on all 3 of those guys. 

I would put Wilson ahead of those qb choices.  I also don't have a lot of confidence in Guice due to the injuries.  However he is probably the right risk at this point.  I would also try and get Damian Harris as Sony insurance soon.  

For this round it would depend on how many QB's have already been drafted and the chance one in your tier making it back.  

I don't really like taking Hunt this early as a freeze opportunity only......which is really what he amounts to at this point.  

I would go Guice and Wilson.
Thanks for the reply. On the QB side, these are the players already drafted:

Aaron Rodgers

Patrick Mahomes

Andrew Luck

Deshaun Watson

Baker Mayfield

Jared Goff

Five of the 12 teams have drafted QB thus far (one grabbing Rodgers/Mayfield). I see a run coming but if I go RB/RB or even RB/WR, I could still likely get a Brees, Rivers, Winston, etc pool of QBs and look to next year for my long term future.

I’m also taking a hard look at Tyler Boyd with AJ on his contract year. I could see any of the following:

Guice/Hunt

Guice/Boyd

Hunt/Boyd (riskiest with Michel already on PUP)

I might go brazen and do that last combo and see whichever QB falls. If I do that, it’s possible I end up with an RB like Barber from TB which really isn’t a bad idea. If I wait on WR it’s probably Will Fuller or Christian Kirk territory (Pettite if I’m lucky). 

Last edited by a moderator:
I would much rather have Guice over Hunt in this spot and there is a better chance that Hunt makes it back to you

I agree with this and those two RB's would be an awesome addition to chose from next year and beyond.  If you can live with one of the other QB's mentioned then I would go RB/RB, if you really have to have one of those QB's, and there are still quite a few people that need to draft them also, then I would take a QB now and the RB you favour the most.  I personally like Hunt but obviously that's for the future and not so much this year.  Good luck and answer back here after your next pick and let us know what you did.
What ultimately made my decision was looking at who'd likely be there by the next round but I also went back and looked at my league rules one more time to see if there may be something worth nothing and there was: I can put a suspended player on IR and pick up someone for free to replace him.

I usually go TE early and often have to debate being sub-ideal at RB or WR. Last year I was chasing WR all year and it drove me nuts. Right or wrong, that helped me get across the line with my picks: Hunt + Boyd.

As soon as I picked Hunt, the whole channel cursed me and everyone was about to pick him. I was right that it was my last chance to grab him and I will have a clear ability to trade him for assets if I need to during the season.

I agree with the above suggestions on QB and as much as I have a preference, there are still a lot of good QBs out there I can wait on and might still get my guy. Guice was the hard decision between he and Hunt and something just told me if I'm not certain about what'll happen between Guice/Peterson/Thompson then I should go bold and take the risk on Hunt.

Next round I'm going to target my QB unless they all fall again but will also be at BPA for RB and WR. Gut tells me a solid non-keepable RB like Peyton Barber will be there and make the risk of Hunt look even more worth it. If he's gone too, I can always grab Damien Harris as a handcuff for Michel and go from there.

Team now:

QB : (empty)

RB : S. Barkley, S. Michel, K. Hunt

WR: A. Cooper, K. Golladay, T. Boyd

Last edited by a moderator:
What ultimately made my decision was looking at who'd likely be there by the next round but I also went back and looked at my league rules one more time to see if there may be something worth nothing and there was: I can put a suspended player on IR and pick up someone for free to replace him.

I usually go TE early and often have to debate being sub-ideal at RB or WR. Last year I was chasing WR all year and it drove me nuts. Right or wrong, that helped me get across the line with my picks: Hunt + Boyd.

As soon as I picked Hunt, the whole channel cursed me and everyone was about to pick him. I was right that it was my last chance to grab him and I will have a clear ability to trade him for assets if I need to during the season.

I agree with the above suggestions on QB and as much as I have a preference, there are still a lot of good QBs out there I can wait on and might still get my guy. Guice was the hard decision between he and Hunt and something just told me if I'm not certain about what'll happen between Guice/Peterson/Thompson then I should go bold and take the risk on Hunt.

Next round I'm going to target my QB unless they all fall again but will also be at BPA for RB and WR. Gut tells me a solid non-keepable RB like Peyton Barber will be there and make the risk of Hunt look even more worth it. If he's gone too, I can always grab Damien Harris as a handcuff for Michel and go from there.

Team now:

QB : (empty)

RB : S. Barkley, S. Michel, K. Hunt

WR: A. Cooper, K. Golladay, T. Boyd

Drafting someone because you have a "clear ability to trade him for assets" never works out.  I also think drafting someone this early where your main purpose is to get him for keeper reasons hurts you for this year more than it helps you for next year.  A lot of things can happen between now and a year from now that will make that pick of Hunt useless.  Just because other owners moaned over the pick doesn't mean it was a good pick. 

Passing on Guice because you are uncertain of his role due to an aging AP and injury prone Thompson seems forced when you cannot even begin to know how Hunt will be used other than he is missing the first 8 games of the season.  He also has an elite talent ahead of him on the depth chart in Chubb that will have a lot of say as to whether Hunt is even playable this year at all. 

I am most certain this is a mistake for you in the short term and 50-50 on whether this has any benefit in the long term.  But that is why every team is different.  Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread