What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

kenbrell thompkins (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rotoworld:
According to ESPN Boston, Friday's release of Donald Jones was tied at least in part to UDFA WR Kenbrell Thompkins' "strong work" at spring practices.
The Pats salvaged a $200,000 training camp reporting bonus by cutting Jones, but Thompkins practiced so well that he earned first-team reps by the end of minicamp. Reliable beat writer Mike Reiss deems Thompkins "the under-the-radar Patriots offensive player who has arguably built more momentum than any other." Worth a look in all dynasty leagues, Thompkins is also a favorite of Rookie Scouting Portfolio's Matt Waldman, who has a terrific eye for talent. Jul 21 - 8:03 AM

More here http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/8647/kenbrell-thompkins

Last edited by a moderator:
I think anyone with a pulse in that situation is worth tracking. Someone has to catch the ball there.

Having said that, I'll be surprised if Thompkins ends up being a major player for New England this year. There are a lot of variables working against him. He was a UDFA. Those guys have an uphill battle just to make the roster, let alone get playing time. He also wasn't a very productive college player. That's always a concern for me.

I think the early buzz might be a little premature here. Is Thompkins really shining or is he getting snaps by default? IIRC, Dobson has missed some practice time and Boyce hasn't practiced at all. I expect the equation to change quite a bit when those two players are inserted into the mix. That's why I've been taking most of the offseason "news" about the New England WR situation with a big grain of salt up to this point. I don't think the battle for spots has really begun yet.

I've said it elsewhere, but my hunch here is that Amendola will be the best redraft option and that Boyce will end up as a key player as well. I think Boyce is the most gifted WR on the roster in terms of his football skills/physical tools combination. Either way, I don't think we can really assess this competition until all of the contenders are actually out there competing on the same field. If it turns out that Thompkins is running with the first team in the third week of the preseason, that will be huge news. For now I'd just say that he has a small head start over some of the key players and some of the other underdogs, but that he's still a longshot for a big impact.

No harm in taking a punt if you've got the roster space. I just wouldn't get my hopes up too high yet.

He also wasn't a very productive college player. That's always a concern for me.
He was productive in JUCO, FWIW. #1 WR in his JUCO class, JUCO All American, 69/1020/9. He had 1000 yds both years in JUCO. Supposedly he didn't start playing football until his last year in HS at 19, so he had 1000 yds his 2nd and 3rd years playing organized football albeit at the JUCO level.

JUCO is a step up from high school, but not comparable to D1 ball, much less the NFL.

Thompkins had 536 yards and 541 yards in his two seasons at Cincinnati. Only 2 TDs per season. You'd hope for better numbers from an NFL talent.

I love how every time the media says a players name, they get a thread. Remember the days of sneaking in and getting players under the radar, not anymore as each one who sucks who the media mentions once gets a thread, even though there are threads title "Patriots WRS" and more of the sort already.

I think anyone with a pulse in that situation is worth tracking. Someone has to catch the ball there.

Having said that, I'll be surprised if Thompkins ends up being a major player for New England this year. There are a lot of variables working against him. He was a UDFA. Those guys have an uphill battle just to make the roster, let alone get playing time. He also wasn't a very productive college player. That's always a concern for me.

I think the early buzz might be a little premature here. Is Thompkins really shining or is he getting snaps by default? IIRC, Dobson has missed some practice time and Boyce hasn't practiced at all. I expect the equation to change quite a bit when those two players are inserted into the mix. That's why I've been taking most of the offseason "news" about the New England WR situation with a big grain of salt up to this point. I don't think the battle for spots has really begun yet.

I've said it elsewhere, but my hunch here is that Amendola will be the best redraft option and that Boyce will end up as a key player as well. I think Boyce is the most gifted WR on the roster in terms of his football skills/physical tools combination. Either way, I don't think we can really assess this competition until all of the contenders are actually out there competing on the same field. If it turns out that Thompkins is running with the first team in the third week of the preseason, that will be huge news. For now I'd just say that he has a small head start over some of the key players and some of the other underdogs, but that he's still a longshot for a big impact.

No harm in taking a punt if you've got the roster space. I just wouldn't get my hopes up too high yet.
So basically, don't get your hopes up for Thompkins, because you have your hopes up for Boyce.

Got it.

I love how every time the media says a players name, they get a thread. Remember the days of sneaking in and getting players under the radar, not anymore as each one who sucks who the media mentions once gets a thread, even though there are threads title "Patriots WRS" and more of the sort already.
It's what we do. Dissect and discuss.

So basically, don't get your hopes up for Thompkins, because you have your hopes up for Boyce.

Got it.
More like, don't get your hopes up for an unproductive UDFA because the success rate for that kind of player is almost zero.

Thompkins has generated some buzz from the local beat writers, but you have to put that into context. When Edelman, Dobson, and Boyce are all missing practice time, the fact that somebody else is getting first team reps becomes a lot less significant. He's not beating out the competition so much as he's getting opportunities by default because all of the top contenders are injured. If someone like Thompkins or Jenkins is getting consistent first team snaps 2-3 weeks from now, it will be a lot more meaningful.

Got it.
More like, don't get your hopes up for an unproductive UDFA because the success rate for that kind of player is almost zero.

Thompkins has generated some buzz from the local beat writers, but you have to put that into context. When Edelman, Dobson, and Boyce are all missing practice time, the fact that somebody else is getting first team reps becomes a lot less significant. He's not beating out the competition so much as he's getting opportunities by default because all of the top contenders are injured. If someone like Thompkins or Jenkins is getting consistent first team snaps 2-3 weeks from now, it will be a lot more meaningful.
I agree. Local beat writers tend to try and create "drama" at camp even when there isn't drama. When I browse through twitter, it's the local beat writers that are far too reactionary on opening week practices. Not that there isn't value in them, or that you can't learn, but just because one guy has looked pretty good in the early practices doesn't really mean a whole lot. Especially when guys are missing practice time, as you pointed out.

I have no clue if Thompkins is legit but BB will play undrafted/low-pick players...Green-Elllis and Boldin were both undrafted and Edelman and Givens were both seven-rounders...if BB likes a player he will find time for him...one of the key things to pay attention to whether it be Thompkins, Boyce or Dobson is Brady talking about them...if he starts going out-of-his-way to praise one of these kids that will be a very good sign because the bottom-line is you're not going to be part of this offense if Brady doesn't trust you...

Got it.

I agree. Local beat writers tend to try and create "drama" at camp even when there isn't drama. When I browse through twitter, it's the local beat writers that are far too reactionary on opening week practices. Not that there isn't value in them, or that you can't learn, but just because one guy has looked pretty good in the early practices doesn't really mean a whole lot. Especially when guys are missing practice time, as you pointed out.
LeStar Jean comes to mind..

Agree with the above. There are always players that "is turning heads" or "has made an impression on coaches" in camps and the vast, vast majority of them never translate into anything.

For me, when these things happen, I go to the coaches' interviews and listen. If they specifically say, clearly, that "this player is in our plans" then I earmark it. But if they just say "this player showed us something" or "this player is out there competing" then it means nothing to me other than they are trying to get bodies out there doing a job.

A good example of this is with the Texans.

When Foster was in camp beofre he became the starter and media was aksing about him possibly winning the starting job, their GM said "Yes, I think Foster has the ability to be the team's starter." A couple of years later, when he was asked about LeStar Jean having such a great camp, he aknowledged that he was having a good camp but also said"We're really happy He is able to come in and compete for a spot."

To me, if you go to the source instead of reading the Rotoworlds of the worlds take on it, you get a much better sense of what they are meaning.

Got it.

Boyce was a 4th round draft pick on a team that doesn't have a great history of drafting good WR's. Thompkins chances of getting playing time is no worse than Boye's. You love Boyce. We get it. But that doesn't mean your opinion has any more relevance than anyone else's.

I think you have to keep an eye out for tangible indicators of progress besides reporter buzz. Some examples from past seasons:

- When Colston was a rookie, the Saints traded away Stallworth LATE in training camp. Colston was in the starting lineup in their third preseason game. That's like putting up a giant flashing neon sign saying, "This guy was a steal and we love him."

- When Pierre Thomas was a rookie, the Saints unexpectedly cut 4th round rookie RB Antonio Pittman.

- When Russell Wilson was a rookie, he decisively beat out Matt Flynn.

- Last year, Daryl Richardson started getting into games earlier than Isaiah Pead during the preseason.

- IIRC, Alfred Morris started the third and fourth preseason games for Washington last year.

Basically, if the team trades/benches/cuts a decent player to make room for a rookie, that's a pretty clear indicator that the rookie is impressing. New England cutting Donald Jones is a nice start, but not on par with New Orleans trading Stallworth or cutting Pittman. I think Thompkins is still in "early buzz" territory as opposed to "concrete evidence" territory. If he's getting snaps ahead of Dobson, Boyce, and Edelman a few weeks from now, the equation will be a lot different.

Having said that, if a flyer like this piques your interest, you can't necessarily wait for the concrete news before you take a gamble on him. You generally need to add the player BEFORE the good news breaks. Because if the third preseason game rolls around and Thompkins is in the starting lineup, other owners will take notice and grab him off waivers. So while I don't personally have much interest in Thompkins, now is the time to get him if you think he's worth the roster space.

Got it.

He performed better and ran with the ones ahead of Dobson and Boyce.

This is in sweats and....just saying above was incorrect, he was there and did better than these two. It seems Edelman has worn a boot "forever" so i don't recall his status.

Boyce was a 4th round draft pick on a team that doesn't have a great history of drafting good WR's. Thompkins chances of getting playing time is no worse than Boye's. You love Boyce. We get it. But that doesn't mean your opinion has any more relevance than anyone else's.
Reasons to like Boyce over Thompkins:

- Better athlete (bigger, faster, stronger, more explosive across the board).

- Higher investment (early 4th round pick vs. UDFA). Not only did the team invest more in him, but the generic odds of success for a 4th rounder vs. a UDFA are much higher.

- Much more productive college player. Easily outproduced Thompkins in each of the last two seasons, especially in terms of big plays and TDs.

Yes, I like Boyce over Thompkins. I think that's a pretty realistic and reasonable opinion based on all the information available to us. And I'd say that based on what we know right now, he's worth a lot more and is much more likely to get meaningful playing time and become a standout pro.

Got it.

These types of responses always confuse me. Why give someone a hard time for having an opinion on a message board specifically designed for people to give their opinions? Where does he say that his opinion is any more or less relevant than others? why bring that up? Isn't every single post on this entire message board full of people taking stances like this?

I think you have to keep an eye out for tangible indicators of progress besides reporter buzz. Some examples from past seasons:

- When Colston was a rookie, the Saints traded away Stallworth LATE in training camp. Colston was in the starting lineup in their third preseason game. That's like putting up a giant flashing neon sign saying, "This guy was a steal and we love him."

- When Pierre Thomas was a rookie, the Saints unexpectedly cut 4th round rookie RB Antonio Pittman.

- When Russell Wilson was a rookie, he decisively beat out Matt Flynn.

- Last year, Daryl Richardson started getting into games earlier than Isaiah Pead during the preseason.

- IIRC, Alfred Morris started the third and fourth preseason games for Washington last year.

Basically, if the team trades/benches/cuts a decent player to make room for a rookie, that's a pretty clear indicator that the rookie is impressing. New England cutting Donald Jones is a nice start, but not on par with New Orleans trading Stallworth or cutting Pittman. I think Thompkins is still in "early buzz" territory as opposed to "concrete evidence" territory. If he's getting snaps ahead of Dobson, Boyce, and Edelman a few weeks from now, the equation will be a lot different.

Having said that, if a flyer like this piques your interest, you can't necessarily wait for the concrete news before you take a gamble on him. You generally need to add the player BEFORE the good news breaks. Because if the third preseason game rolls around and Thompkins is in the starting lineup, other owners will take notice and grab him off waivers. So while I don't personally have much interest in Thompkins, now is the time to get him if you think he's worth the roster space.
The Pats about blew up their WR corps. This is unusual. The Saints stuff is tough to compare.

There is a Jones thread here with some expectations and he was cut, but I agree with your sentiment it's not that big a deal.

IIRC Reiss has him beating out Michael Jenkins soon too.

All this like woohoo he's now 6th WR. There's not just a grain of salt here but one of those bricks a horse licks on.

Got it.

He performed better and ran with the ones ahead of Dobson and Boyce.

This is in sweats and....just saying above was incorrect, he was there and did better than these two. It seems Edelman has worn a boot "forever" so i don't recall his status.
It's hard for him to be running with the ones "ahead" of Boyce when Boyce hasn't practiced yet.

Julian Edelman was in a walking boot in May. I think he missed all of minicamp.

Dobson has also missed some practice time.

That was my whole point. Thompkins hasn't been outperforming these guys. Merely benefiting from their absence. There's a huge difference.

Got it.

These types of responses always confuse me. Why give someone a hard time for having an opinion on a message board specifically designed for people to give their opinions? Where does he say that his opinion is any more or less relevant than others? why bring that up? Isn't every single post on this entire message board full of people taking stances like this?
Exactly. Nobody knows how it's going to play out. This is a Tomkins thread, and like every other Patriots WR thread, he comes in and says Boyce is the most talented receiver on the team and not to get your hopes up for Thompkins.

If someone wants to get his hopes up for Thompkins, then let them.

Roto

Undrafted rookie WR Kenbrell Thompkins has received first-team reps at OTAs.
Michael Jenkins, special teamer Kamar Aiken, and UDFA Thompkins have reportedly been the "primary outside receivers," working ahead of Aaron Dobson, Josh Boyce, and Donald Jones. Thompkins went undrafted due to production and character concerns, although he's turned his life around and is a prospect to monitor. This isn't the first time we've heard he's looked good in practice.
ESPN Boston-

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4744518/patriots-in-search-of-momentum

ESPN Boston does NOT show Boyce as you said, but they do have him running with the 1s, ahead of Dobson....at that time

Roto

Michael Jenkins, special teamer Kamar Aiken, and UDFA Thompkins have reportedly been the "primary outside receivers," working ahead of Aaron Dobson, Josh Boyce, and Donald Jones. Thompkins went undrafted due to production and character concerns, although he's turned his life around and is a prospect to monitor. This isn't the first time we've heard he's looked good in practice.
ESPN Boston-

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4744518/patriots-in-search-of-momentum

ESPN Boston does NOT show Boyce as you said, but he ran with the 1s, Dobson didn't....at that time
That was the OTA's, over a month ago.

Roto

ESPN Boston-

ESPN Boston does NOT show Boyce as you said, but he ran with the 1s, Dobson didn't....at that time
News from today makes it sound like Dobson is running ahead of Thompkins.

I think what happened here is that Thompkins got some reps when Dobson/Boyce/Edelman were injured and the pundits read a bit too much into it. If you look at that Rotoworld blurb, the actual news just says Thompkins got first team reps, whereas the subjective Rotoworld side pushes the "ahead of Dobson, Boyce, and Jones" angle, which is a bit misleading IMO.

Part of the reason why I've been banging the drum for Boyce (and to a much lesser extent, Dobson) is because I think the pundits have failed to deliver an accurate and comprehensive picture of this WR competition. Dobson was picked in the same round as Gronk and Boyce was picked in the same round as Hernandez, yet a lot of the beat writers have treated them as lesser figures in this battle.

Roto

ESPN Boston-

That was the OTA's, over a month ago.
Yes it was

His 2nd year JuCo quarterback was Matt Simms. Thompkins was the first player the Tennessee Volunteers signed in 2010. Simms was 2nd. He transfered when HC Lane Kiffin left during recruiting season and had to sit out 2010.

His brother, Kendal is a Senior wide receiver at Miami (Fla).

Kenbrell Thompkins is a former wide receiver at the University of Cincinnati and a former junior college All-American with scholarship offers from every top college program in the country. He’s also a former drug dealer, a former juvenile delinquent and a former stereotype of an African American male raised in a single parent home in one of America’s worst neighborhoods, Liberty City in Miami, Fla.

Kenbrell Thompkins is a man of God and a father, who hasn’t been in trouble with the law since 2008. More than anything else, Kenbrell Thompkins is a man righting the wrongs of the adolescent he once was — a man trying, ever so desperately, to clear the final hurdle in an unlikely, uphill journey to the NFL.

I don't think Thompkins played today. And the drafted rookies didn't play at mini-camp. So as far as I can tell, most of these "reports" are full of it either way. Nobody "played ahead" of anybody (in terms of rookies) yet. Except the drafted rookies have played "ahead" of the vets for the most part according to the most reasonable report I read.

I don't think Thompkins played today. And the drafted rookies didn't play at mini-camp. So as far as I can tell, most of these "reports" are full of it either way. Nobody "played ahead" of anybody (in terms of rookies) yet. Except the drafted rookies have played "ahead" of the vets for the most part according to the most reasonable report I read.
Reiss and others have written about Thompkins. (IMO) You can't discredit every one of them.

http://www.patsfans.com/blogs/derek/2013/07/26/friday-training-camp-observations/#.UfJ1H42np48

Thompkins sat today with undisclosed injury.

That writer too is anxious to see him.

Maybe worth noting, that's the first article I've read Jenkins did well. This is when it matters and surely the veteran WR knows that.

Got it.

You are right - his opinion is no better than anyone else's. But why are you giving him grief for his opinion? I don't get it. You sound bitter.

Rotoworld:

Patriots undrafted WR Kenbrell Thompkins got some work with the first-team offense Saturday.
Thompkins has gotten his fair share of love from the Patriots' beat writers since rookie camp, and he even received some first-team reps in minicamp practices. Ideally, the Patriots would like their younger receivers to perform well so that Molasses Mike Jenkins doesn't find his way onto the 53-man roster.

Source: Mike Reiss on Twitter

Got it.

You are right - his opinion is no better than anyone else's. But why are you giving him grief for his opinion? I don't get it. You sound bitter.
What could I possibly be bitter about? It doesn't matter to me which rookie WR excells, as long as one of them does.

As far as giving him grief. read all the posts before you ask silly questions. I already answered that.

WR Michael Jenkins made a beautiful leaping catch over the middle against S Adrian Wilson on a pass from Ryan Mallett.

■ Mallett threw a deep pass that bounced off S Tavon Wilson’s hands, and WR Josh Boyce snatched the deflection for an 80-yard touchdown.

■ Rookie WR Aaron Dobson drew big cheers from the crowd after making a leaping sideline catch over Aqib Talib and tapping his toes inbounds. in-bounds.

■ Rookie WR Kenbrell Thompkins also made a beautiful catch in traffic over CB Logan Ryan on a deep pass up the left sideline from Tom Brady.

WR Aaron Dobson: Rookie second-rounder caught pretty much everything thrown his way, on Saturday, including a few impressive catches in traffic.

■ Thompkins, an undrafted rookie, took some reps with the first unit alongside Danny Amendola and Dobson. Kamar Aiken, who played mostly with the first unit on Friday, played mostly with the second unit on Saturday alongside Michael Jenkins, Josh Boyce, and others.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2013/07/practice_report_day_2_patriots_look_sharper.html

In the spring it was Dobson and Kenbrell out of the same spot. Looks like today he ran with the ones for a bit and Boyce sat.

Got him in all of my dynasty leagues, so here's hoping he works out.

Especially as I also have Maclin in a couple of them!

Has anyone seen Thompkins drafted in late rookies drafts or traded for 2014 picks? I just spammed one of my leagues for a 4th round pick. I figure that's about right for a guy with a small chance to.carve out a high upside role, you could do worse with a 4th. I'd hold but I don't really have the room

He's been undrafted in all of my leagues and I've been able to pick him up off waivers post-draft.

I'd probably invest a 4th or 5th round pick in him now after the talk surrounding him. Those picks are basically a crapshoot anyway, so might as well go with someone getting some hype.

Got it.

What could I possibly be bitter about? It doesn't matter to me which rookie WR excells, as long as one of them does.

As far as giving him grief. read all the posts before you ask silly questions. I already answered that.
I did. You are just being a whiner. Grow up.

Here's Talib quotes-

There's a long road ahead for Patriots rookie wide receivers Aaron Dobson and Kenbrell Thompkins, but each has been sharp in early workouts during training camp. With the pads coming on on Sunday, players were able to ramp up the tempo and physicality, as defensive backs challenged receivers in one-on-one drills. Talib has already noticed one trait that Dobson and Thompkins share, highlighting their ability to release off the line.

"[Dobson's] got good releases off the line," Talib told reporters on Sunday. "That's what I think he does real good. Him, KT [Thompkins], they're both pretty good at releasing off the line."

Pressed further on what traits makes them successful at releasing off the line, Talib offered, "I don't know what it is, speed, quickness, strength. You either got it or you don't. They got it."

He's been undrafted in all of my leagues and I've been able to pick him up off waivers post-draft.

I'd probably invest a 4th or 5th round pick in him now after the talk surrounding him. Those picks are basically a crapshoot anyway, so might as well go with someone getting some hype.
I'm assuming you probably drafted in May or June. Now that he's hide hype coming out of OTAs, I would assume he's being drafted in the typical 5 round rookie draft.

I'm assuming you probably drafted in May or June. Now that he's hide hype coming out of OTAs, I would assume he's being drafted in the typical 5 round rookie draft.
I didn't see him drafted til recently. Now he's 97 on MFLs rookie only drafts

http://football.myfantasyleague.com/2013/adp?COUNT=100&POS=*&CUTOFF=5&FRANCHISES=-1&IS_PPR=-1&IS_KEEPER=2&IS_MOCK=-1&TIME=

He's gone as high as 42.

This will be quick, like several of us said earlier.

I want my draft NOW but it's still a few weeks away.

I get a sense that Kenbrell is no longer battling Dobson, but is playing opposite. I would assume this is an invitation to Boyce to step up. Mostly about drills today though so it's hard to gauge.

In rookie drafts, I think the questions start with players mid round two so that's probably Kenbrell's ceiling and I expect he'll go late third early fourth. I expect Boyce to step up here though.

Practice ended with a Kenbrell diving grab of a deep ball from Tebow. Always good to leave people remembering a great play.

I think we're supposed to call him KT now

Scooped him just because you like him loose.
certainly should be picked up in all leagues, but as a disclaimer I just sold him for a 4th round pick next season in one league where I just don't have the roster room. Both Boyce and Dobson have looked well from most reports including the opinion of Tim Ryan and Pat Kirwan who are two media members I trust the most. For my league though, current rosters are at 38 and we have to cut to 30 by season so I wanted to get some value now and still be able to turnover some of those end of the roster spots as news breaks.

Probably wouldn't have done that if I didn't already own him in another league so I kinda diversify that way...

certainly should be picked up in all leagues, but as a disclaimer I just sold him for a 4th round pick next season in one league where I just don't have the roster room. Both Boyce and Dobson have looked well from most reports including the opinion of Tim Ryan and Pat Kirwan who are two media members I trust the most. For my league though, current rosters are at 38 and we have to cut to 30 by season so I wanted to get some value now and still be able to turnover some of those end of the roster spots as news breaks.
I picked him up because you are one insightful person. How could I pass up on certainty.

Several articles this morning mention Kenbrell on top of the depth chart ahead of Boyce.

Pats struggled in two minute drill at practice with Kenbrell having three drops while Boyce and Amendola had two. Kenbrell also ran an out when it should have been an in forcing Brady to throw it right to Talib. Four INTs by Brady, little written about the other three although brady mentioned bad throws.

I would have expected this new WR corps to struggle in the two minute drill and in red zone drills(which brady said they haven't even run yet). This is where the mistakes are supposed to come out early on in training camp. This is not a well-oiled machine with WRs with tons of experience playing with Brady.

Curiously little written about Dobson for the first time...ever I suppose, which is probably a good thing on this night when everyone struggled.

1. After struggling in practice on Monday, his 25th birthday, rookie receiver Kenbrell Thompkins was arguably the best player on the field Tuesday, making several noteworthy grabs and showing precise route running. Thompkins both stretched the field vertically and impressed with his underneath route running. His ability to set up defenders in press coverage with nimble footwork at the line of scrimmage continues to stand out. CornerbackAqib Talib recently lauded his ability to release off the line
. http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4745886/observations-from-fifth-practice?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I picked him up because you are one insightful person. How could I pass up on certainty.
Who hurt you?

I think today was a considerable day for Kenbrell.

Normally I don't like how a writer will use a previous days quotes to apply to today, but Reiss did it well and reminded people when it was said and all.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4745898/big-takeaway-dobsons-absence

I agree with his sentiment, Dobson needs to be there practicing., for all the reasons he and Brady said.

Boyce who got the chance to run with the ones is barely mentioned in articles tonight. He had a golden opportunity today. By my count, he's stood out one day in camp-Dobson and Thompkins all the other days.

End of week one, still plenty of time, still preseason games, but it seems to me their starting WRs are Dobson, Amendola, and Kenbrell. (Because I expect a 3 WR set)

Boyce needs to step up in week two. We don't need to read articles that have as many sentences about Kamar Aiken and Quentin Sims as Boyce. It's gotta be that he flashed that potential and all.

Too early to say much. Amendola looks like the clear #1 for now and everything else is up for grabs.

Most of the beat writers have been talking about Thompkins as a guy who has a chance to make the 53 man roster, not as a guy who's likely to be a starter this year.

You can find favorable blurbs about all of the rookie receivers depending on which source you want to pick. Case in point:

http://www.patspulpit.com/2013/7/29/4570152/new-england-patriots-training-camp-day-four-observations-analysis-fantasy-football-steal-brady-tebow

Offense Dobson, Boyce impressive againConsidering it's only the fourth training camp practice, I think rookies Aaron Dobson and Josh Boyce are far ahead of the curve. Both players have great footwork and are able to run a myriad of different routes at a high level. After struggling at beating press coverage on Sunday, I thought Dobson was hard to stop tonight. He did a good job of using his arms to beat the press, showing more aggressiveness than he has previously.

Aaron Dobson, in my opinion, had the play of the day during 7 on 7 drills. Lined up on the left side of the field as the X-receiver, he was matched up with Alfonzo Dennard. Dobson ran a 15-yard flag route towards the sideline. On the cut towards the middle of the field (meant to disguise the route or fake out the defender), he made Dennard look bad and opened himself for a wide-open catch near the sideline. Dennard was terrific all night long, which made the route even more impressive. Dobson's footwork is top-notch and he seems to be expanding on his route tree that he had at Marshall.

I think you could make the argument that Josh Boyce is the best blocking wide receiver on the team. During receiver versus cornerback drills, Boyce manhandled both Alfonzo Dennard and Stephon Morris. Of course, Boyce is bigger and stronger than his opponents, but it's the fact he's able to do what he's supposed to do at such an early stage. Boyce's physicality perfectly compliments his agility on crossing routes over the middle of the field. Even though Kenbrell Thompkins is currently ahead of him on the depth chart, I fully expect Boyce to overtake him sooner rather than later.
It'll be really interesting to see who they roll out in the preseason games, and in what order. That should tell us something, especially in the second and third games.

Too early to say much. Amendola looks like the clear #1 for now and everything else is up for grabs.

Most of the beat writers have been talking about Thompkins as a guy who has a chance to make the 53 man roster, not as a guy who's likely to be a starter this year.

You can find favorable blurbs about all of the rookie receivers depending on which source you want to pick. Case in point:

http://www.patspulpit.com/2013/7/29/4570152/new-england-patriots-training-camp-day-four-observations-analysis-fantasy-football-steal-brady-tebow

Offense Dobson, Boyce impressive again

Considering it's only the fourth training camp practice, I think rookies Aaron Dobson and Josh Boyce are far ahead of the curve. Both players have great footwork and are able to run a myriad of different routes at a high level. After struggling at beating press coverage on Sunday, I thought Dobson was hard to stop tonight. He did a good job of using his arms to beat the press, showing more aggressiveness than he has previously.

Aaron Dobson, in my opinion, had the play of the day during 7 on 7 drills. Lined up on the left side of the field as the X-receiver, he was matched up with Alfonzo Dennard. Dobson ran a 15-yard flag route towards the sideline. On the cut towards the middle of the field (meant to disguise the route or fake out the defender), he made Dennard look bad and opened himself for a wide-open catch near the sideline. Dennard was terrific all night long, which made the route even more impressive. Dobson's footwork is top-notch and he seems to be expanding on his route tree that he had at Marshall.

I think you could make the argument that Josh Boyce is the best blocking wide receiver on the team. During receiver versus cornerback drills, Boyce manhandled both Alfonzo Dennard and Stephon Morris. Of course, Boyce is bigger and stronger than his opponents, but it's the fact he's able to do what he's supposed to do at such an early stage. Boyce's physicality perfectly compliments his agility on crossing routes over the middle of the field. Even though Kenbrell Thompkins is currently ahead of him on the depth chart, I fully expect Boyce to overtake him sooner rather than later.
It'll be really interesting to see who they roll out in the preseason games, and in what order. That should tell us something, especially in the second and third games.
Yeah early and all but that's the one day Boyce shined so he needs to step up next week.

All the chance to make 53 articles on Kenbrell were before camp or after day 1.

He's been running with the ones and now they are....well like the one you quoted which states how Kenbrell is ahead of Boyce on the depth chart.

Scroll up, you said UFA and lucky to make team sentiment and I was with ya, but that was then this is now. He's "in the mix" now.

There must be 100 articles just this past week and you'd have hard time figuring out who the fifth WR is because four have received almost all the press. Whatever standard we needed from Kenbrell to consider him "in the mix" he has hit- running with ones, doing well with Brady, praise from BB or McD, defenders praise...and caught the attention of seemingly every writer at Pats camp.

Tons of time, again, I'm only giving this guy "in the mix" status now.

I know ya love his talent N all, but I really don't think I was unfair to Boyce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread