What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Keto II (3 Viewers)

Great leg workout this morning.  Had to force myself to scarf down some eggs and cheese and sausage.  Client dinner tonight where I'll have a piece of fish, some greens, and booze (I'd rather not the latter, but I'll keep it low or no carb).

I had an awful off-the-rails weekend followed by a couple days of business travel, so it's no surprise I'm not losing, but with the lifting I also see my body composition changing, so it may be that I'm just adding as much weight in muscle as I'm losing in fat, which isn't such a bad thing either.  I'm in it for the long game this time. 

Great leg workout this morning.  Had to force myself to scarf down some eggs and cheese and sausage.  Client dinner tonight where I'll have a piece of fish, some greens, and booze (I'd rather not the latter, but I'll keep it low or no carb).

I had an awful off-the-rails weekend followed by a couple days of business travel, so it's no surprise I'm not losing, but with the lifting I also see my body composition changing, so it may be that I'm just adding as much weight in muscle as I'm losing in fat, which isn't such a bad thing either.  I'm in it for the long game this time. 
Or, it's the Kit Kats...

Bacon festival in town this weekend.  :thumbup:  Wife's father and vegan sister visiting and staying Saturday into Sunday for Father's Day. I'm volunteered to grill and help cook vegan-y things.  :wall: Me and pops will be having our own damn bacon festival.

While I understand daily consumption of diet coke isn't a good thing, is there an issue with occasional intake messing up with ketosis?
Not to my knowledge. It's just really not even food. And imo feeding the need for sweet is a bad thing when you're trying to reduce carb and sugar intake. 

Not to my knowledge. It's just really not even food. And imo feeding the need for sweet is a bad thing when you're trying to reduce carb and sugar intake. 
Agreed.  But, I'm not a fan of straight booze, so when I need a treat, I'll do a captain diet.  While diet soda isn't exactly health food, I figure it is better for me than having a sugar laden dessert as a treat, or a six pack of beer.

Agreed.  But, I'm not a fan of straight booze, so when I need a treat, I'll do a captain diet.  While diet soda isn't exactly health food, I figure it is better for me than having a sugar laden dessert as a treat, or a six pack of beer.
Yeah... diet Dr Pepper is a weakness of mine.  Some in the keto community say it triggers an insulin response in some people, but I don't care as it's something I enjoy and things are working.  Plus I love the caffeine...

Sure is. Lots of things that aren't great are better than other things. 

Sorry for the hijack guys. 

If you LOVE bread, can't eat this way without bread, or just want a nice roll with some butter, you can't go wrong with  these.  We make these a couple of times per week and make them in different shapes to fit our needs (Burger rolls, hot dog rolls, "sandwich" size etc).

1¼ cups almond flour

5 tablespoons ground psyllium husk powder

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon sea salt

2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar

1¼ cups boiling water

3 egg whites

Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl with a hand mixer until lumps are gone.

Bring the water to a boil and add it, the vinegar and egg whites to the bowl, while beating with a hand mixer for about 30 seconds. Don’t over mix the dough, the consistency should resemble Play-Doh.

Moisten hands and form dough into 4 or 8 pieces of bread. You can also make hot dog or hamburger buns. Place on a greased baking sheet.

Bake on lower rack in oven for 50–60 minutes, depending on the size of your bread. They’re done when you hear a hollow sound when tapping the bottom of the bun.
@Binky The Doormat

Really looks incredible buddy.  Would you post the recipe?  I looked around and didn't see one that looked like that.  

How many net carbs?  
The rolls are about 2 net carbs each if you make 6 rolls with the recipe above. For hamburgers I make 4 rolls out of that recipe so its a bit higher

Had a giant club steak and salad for dinner at my parents yesterday, passed on the potatoes and the red velvet cake.  I am confident that this week will be my last week over 200 lbs.

Currently at 200.4 as of this morning and off to mow the lawn in 30 minutes.  The a leisurely pool day and a long walk planned for this evening.

Coconut Oil Not Healthy

It’s time to stop turning to coconut oil to make your brownies healthier.

Coconut oil, it turns out, is not the health food people think it is. This oil might be stocked on the shelves of your health food store, but a recent report released by the American Heart Association suggests that this might be a mistake. 

You’re not alone in this misconception. An AHA survey found that 72 percent of Americans considered coconut oil a health food. But coconut oil, it turns out, is shockingly high in saturated fats. And saturated fat ― even though some elements of its effects are up for debate ― isn’t good for you no matter how you slice it.

In fact, 82 percent of the fat found in coconut oil is saturated ― that’s significantly more than olive oil, which clocks in at 14 percent and canola oil, which contains a mere seven percent. 

The AHA reviewed existing data on saturated fats and found that in seven out of eight studies, coconut oil actually increased LDL cholesterol ― the bad cholesterol ― which is a cause of cardiovascular disease. The findings were so clear that Frank Sacks, the report’s lead author, told USA Today, “You can put it on your body, but don’t put it in your body.” Roger that. 

You’re better off sticking to oils that are lower in saturated fats such as the aforementioned olive oil. Olive oil, some studies suggest, helps good cholesterol do its job. And we can all use help with that.

My wife mentioned to me the other day about all of this research out now claiming that coconut is bad for you... as this article claims. Can I assume that it is bad for you if you are not in ketosis? Can I also assume that if in fact you are in ketosis, your body is metabolizing much of the saturated fats in coconut oil, and that is why it is integral to the keto diet? We all know that coconut oil is high in saturated fats. That's why it is good for the keto diet and the MCTs included.

There seems to be so much misunderstanding with this diet, and I want to make sure that I am not part of the misunderstanding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Coconut Oil Not Healthy

My wife mentioned to me the other day about all of this research out now claiming that coconut is bad for you... as this article claims. Can I assume that it is bad for you if you are not in ketosis? Can I also assume that if in fact you are in ketosis, your body is metabolizing much of the saturated fats in coconut oil, and that is why it is integral to the keto diet? We all know that coconut oil is high in saturated fats. That's why it is good for the keto diet and the MCTs included.

There seems to be so much misunderstanding with this diet, and I want to make sure that I am not part of the misunderstanding.
I read about this on a Keto message board. It appears to just be more propaganda concerning the war on fats. 

This is perfectly fine for a Keto diet.

Driving from St. Louis to Jackson MS. Stopped at Central BBQ in Memphis and picked up a pound of pulled pork without sauce. Great road trip lunch. 

Coconut Oil Not Healthy

I'm still trying to digest this study, but the thing that has caught my attention the most is the fact that the study which said CO has high MCT is now questionable.  It appears they used a different, non-commercial grade of CO for this study.  This is something that is new to me as I assumed for the most part all CO is equal.   This is also something that the media is glossing over, but to me is probably the largest revelation of the source material.  The fact that CO has high saturated fat is a "well duh" type event to me.

IF this is in fact true it calls into question why one would pick CO over any other particular fat, particularly olive oil which is typically the one I would see subbed out for CO but I know this is not unique. 

I plan on getting a better read on this stuff in the upcoming days.

This makes me tingle in naughty places.  Big Mark Sisson fan.
He's a bit "this works for me, so it should work for you" guy sometimes imo, without backing it up. 

When Rogan has to stop him multiple times during an interview to question him and his reply is "well it works for me", that doesn't fly. 

I like him, but always look up what he claims. 

Got into some of these links today, and totally went down the rabbit hole. Recently did a full blood workup for my workplace wellness program. My LDL went up significantly this year, really off the trend line compared to where I was (137.) However, my ratio TC/HDL was 2.9, which remained very good. Basically, LDL went up, but so did HDL, so it all balanced out.

However, it got me looking into Keto and potential LDL increases in more detail. Very interesting info out there. I had my gallbladder removed several years ago. Turns out that adopting Keto without a gallbladder can lead to increased LDL. Wouldn't have even considered that.

In any case, just ordered some Ox Bile supplements, figuring it was a worth a shot to see if that helps with fat digestion and LDL numbers. Anyone have experience with this type of supplement? 

He's a bit "this works for me, so it should work for you" guy sometimes imo, without backing it up. 

When Rogan has to stop him multiple times during an interview to question him and his reply is "well it works for me", that doesn't fly. 

I like him, but always look up what he claims. 
I do agree that sometimes he falls back on "Well it can't hurt" logic too frequently.  But when there are things that certainly DO hurt he goes the extra mile to prove why that is so, and will add further clarifications as more information is available down the line.

He was very early on the pro legume side, creating a small schism in paleo as well as highlighting some other logical fallacies that took Minger and her contemporaries ages to catch up to.

In the "can't hurt" side one thing that people point out that his supplement stack has like eleventy-billion ingredients and costs $5 a day after shipping.  Can you cut that down a bit buddy?

culdeus said:
He was very early on the pro legume side, creating a small schism in paleo as well as highlighting some other logical fallacies that took Minger and her contemporaries ages to catch up to.
Do you have an example in mind? (Minger was never anti-legume that I can recall.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Made my father pretty much a keto meal and he didn't even notice. I made the rolls I mentioned a few times, smoked some pork chops, grilled some asparagus and tossed them in kerrygold butter and topped off the chops with a Bacon Bourbon Raspberry "sauce" I made that was a HUGE hit. 

I took a cup of raspberries and a half cup of the bone broth that I make every week and put them on medium high heat to start the reduction. I then took six slices of bacon and sliced them into small pieces and started them in the cast iron pan. Once the bacon was done,  I then added a two diced scallions, two shots of bourbon and two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and turned the heat down to low. By now raspberry/broth had reduced and I mashed up the berries.  I then added it to the bacon/bourbon pan and brought it up to a simmer and topped the chops. FANTASTIC. 

Made my father pretty much a keto meal and he didn't even notice. I made the rolls I mentioned a few times, smoked some pork chops, grilled some asparagus and tossed them in kerrygold butter and topped off the chops with a Bacon Bourbon Raspberry "sauce" I made that was a HUGE hit. 

I took a cup of raspberries and a half cup of the bone broth that I make every week and put them on medium high heat to start the reduction. I then took six slices of bacon and sliced them into small pieces and started them in the cast iron pan. Once the bacon was done,  I then added a two diced scallions, two shots of bourbon and two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and turned the heat down to low. By now raspberry/broth had reduced and I mashed up the berries.  I then added it to the bacon/bourbon pan and brought it up to a simmer and topped the chops. FANTASTIC. 
:blackdot:

That sounds exhausting

We've taken to a quick blender hollandaise sauce that takes a couple of minutes at most for all of our red meats (great on grilled lamb too).  

Successfully navigated a Mexican restaurant this evening.  I had steak fajitas and just ate the meat with the grilled veggies and avocado. Added some jalapeños for pep and mixed in a little queso.  Passing on the glorious warm chips was tough, but I made it through without any collateral damage.   

Successfully navigated a Mexican restaurant this evening.  I had steak fajitas and just ate the meat with the grilled veggies and avocado. Added some jalapeños for pep and mixed in a little queso.  Passing on the glorious warm chips was tough, but I made it through without any collateral damage.   
Mexican is super easy. Shark move is carne asada which is basically exactly that above except usually a better cut of meat with them not intending you to make a taco out of it. But most do anyways.

Sometimes I find myself tempted by cookies or bread or something and my mouth is literally watering and it seems like I can't live one more minute without gorging on what I lovingly call "poison". Then I eat something keto-friendly and the craving instantly disappears. I find my success on this diet has been directly tied to not letting myself get too hungry, when I am particularly vulnerable to these cravings, and remember that they'll go away if I just eat something.

The only sweet thing I eat is the Halo Top, of which the chocolate chip cookie dough is my favorite. I made a deal with my grocery store where if I buy a case (8 units...enough for two weeks or so) it costs less than $4 a pint. It's kind of pricey otherwise.

Has anyone had their bloodwork done since starting this diet? The pruported health effects are as much as a motivator to me as the weight loss. I really hope my cholesterol/triglycerides/etc. aren't going through the roof. I'm going to make an appointment in the next month or so to get a blood panel done.
I go in for bloodwork on 7/10.  Last time I did this, my numbers were eventually quite good.

Word of caution, though.  What will likely happen is that your LDL and trigs will certainly be elevated while on keto and actively losing weight.  This is normal/expected but should level off as you reach and maintain your goal weight.  LDL may stay slightly elevated based on AHA guidelines, but it's important to recognize what type of LDL you have... particle count is far less important than particle size/type.

Getting on board with this after a 3 week visit put me up 7.5 lbs.  Want to drop a ton (~30) before we visit the states in AUgust.

Breakfast typically two eggs, half avo, 3 bacon strips with Sriracha.  Sometimes chorizo and eggs instead.

Lunch is a protein shake with two raw eggs and and 8oz of cold brew instead of milk.

2x 700 mL of cold brew in the AM as well (400ml brew, 150ml each of water and almond milk)

Big ### salad for dinner.

Gotta recreate a spread sheet to run the macros.  ALso looking for that butter-cream cheese-stevia-dark choc desert someone posted in the other thread.

Users who are viewing this thread