What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kevin Johnson cut? (1 Viewer)

I just came from a Browns board and THEY think it happened. It's quite the topic of discussion. As it should be. Lots of talent to cut. I think Philly has some cap room don't they??

Obvious question: how does this affect the Browns offense? Don't tell me Quincy Morgan goes back on the radar.Strange time to cut a guy. Could it be a disciplinary move?

What's his contract look like? What teams on the low end of the waiver order need a WR and have cap space?Jets?Jags?Detroit?AZ?

No confirmation on ESPN yet. I can't imagine he'd stay on waivers long.If anyone were going to pick him up, I'd think it would be Baltimore - they REALLY need WRs, their passing game in shambles right now, they suddenly have an open roster spot with Boller on IR, they're a division rival and more specifically it's Cleveland/Baltimore we're talking about...

Iti is on KFFL... Interesting.Browns | Johnson Waived - from www.KFFL.comTue, 11 Nov 2003 14:14:58 -0800ESPNews reports the Cleveland Browns waived WR Kevin Johnson.

Obvious question: how does this affect the Browns offense? Don't tell me Quincy Morgan goes back on the radar.Strange time to cut a guy. Could it be a disciplinary move?
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Butch saw how Parcells, Belicheck, and others have cut big name players and how those teams responded, and decided to try it. That, and Davis has never liked KJ, and it's probably come to a head. The only other thing I can think of is that there's a drug/crime/discipline problem that's been kept under wraps for a really long time.

Discussion on Andre Davis? I have decided to cut Davis for a b/u kicker for my playoff run, but maybe he, instead of Javone Walker, should be my #4 behind Horn/CJ and Rod Gardner?Also, someone will for SURE pick up a sure handed, experienced, receiver like KJ - Philly, sure, but Miami has WW priority, and I would bet anything that Detroit would grab him before anyone else. They have the cap room, and the need.This has to be disciplinary b/c the Browns must have been able to get at least a 7th round pick for KJ in the offseason via trade - locker room cancer? Couch to be gone soon, too?

I saw it on the corner of the ESPNnews ticker. It's since been replaced by HS girls basketball? I assume it's official. I hope he goes to the Saints, they have cap room and it could take some pressure of Horn with Stallworth struggling.(I have a feeling this will post 2x)

http://browns.theinsiders.com/2/200273.html

"It has been suggested that Johnson's approach to blocking, and a series other mistakes resulted in his benching last week. In addition, stories appeared recently in the local press from unnamed sources disparaging Johnson's off-field demeanor."

It's not much, but I guess it sheds a little light.

Memo to Andy Reid and Joe Banner:

Kevin Johnson is available on waivers

Kevin Johnson is a better receiver than anyone on the current roster

KJ is great personal friends and college teammate of D. McNabb
The Birds have tons of cap room to sign KJLet's make it happen! :)

Cheers

BROWNS WAIVE WR KEVIN JOHNSON

By Cleveland Browns.com

This report filed November 11, 2003

CLEVELAND - The Cleveland Browns today announced that the club has waived WR Kevin Johnson.

Johnson, who was selected by the Browns in the second round (32nd overall) of the 1999 NFL Draft, had 41 catches for 381 yards with 2 TDs in nine games this season, but was limited to just one catch for three yards last week in a 40-21 loss at Kansas City.

"This is not a knee-jerk reaction," head coach Butch Davis said in a statement. "We have been trying for almost three seasons to help Kevin perform to the level of expectations we have had for him. I am disappointed our staff has not been able to get him to accept the expectations we have of how the wide receiver position should be played. Kevin had a diminished role in our offense, and he was not happy with it. We have a number of young, talented receivers in Quincy Morgan, Andre' Davis, Dennis Northcutt, Andre King, Frisman Jackson and C.J. Jones. As a result, we did not foresee Kevin's role expanding in the future. This will enable him to get a fresh start, and it will allow our young receivers to continue to develop and improve. We wish Kevin all the best."

The Browns have scheduled a 9:30 a.m. press conference with President/CEO Carmen Policy to discuss the move. Davis will be available following

Wednesday's practice.Link

How do waivers work?You've got to think that a 2 win team (Oakland, Jax) that needs WRs that aren't old and grey or old and overpaid would snag him before a team like the Jets, Eagles, Cards, Ravens, or Lions could get him.HERD

Philadelphia needs WRs more than any other team. Whats a QB without wide receivers? A runningback = McNabb.It will be interesting to see where KJ ends up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Via Len P

Johnson, 27, is subject to league waivers.

If he is claimed by another team, he must report, since the trade deadline has passed. But because he is a "vested" veteran, he has the right to declare himself an unrestricted free agent after the 2004 season. If he is unclaimed by Wednesday, which is anticipated, then Johnson becomes free to sign with any team.

His base salary for 2003 is $950,000, which means any team assuming his current deal will owe him a pro-rated portion based on remaining games, or about $391,000. Johnson was under contract through 2006, with scheduled base salaries of $1.45 million (2004), $1.4 million (2005) and $2.65 million. There were annual workout bonuses of $100,000.

But he is also due a $2 million options bonus in 2005 and that almost certainly will preclude any club from claiming him on waivers.

Edit: Add Link - http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor..._len&id=1659541

I believe it's basically the same as draft order: If the Lions have room, they'd probably be the first to make a claim (although Anderson is coming on and Rogers is probably less than a month away). San Diego may also be interested.

He'd make a great compliment to Randy Moss IMO. Good hands, runs good routes, doesn't have tremendous speed but he'd be a great possession WR in their offense. Don't think he'll go there, but it would help the team.

Thats not an untolerable contract for a guy that can be a reliable WR. HERD
Yeah, but it's not great either considering:A) The guy was just cut for non-performanceB) Essentially a 2.4 million bonus (the 2M option plus the 400k for this year while he's learning the system)C) Essentially only a 3 yr contract before he'd be a free agent again.It would probably be better all around for an interested team to try to get him as a free agent after he clears waivers. That way, they could lock him up to a longer deal with possible a smaller "bonus" and a back-loaded contract (which teams always try to do).When and if he clears waivers, Philly et al have as much chance at him as any other team.

Actually Dennis Northcutt is the best WR on the Browns! I am going to have to check the WW!

this is quite the shocker. I think he is plenty talented and would imagine several teams are lining up to talk to his agent.

I'm not happy as a Browns fan at all. I don't need this today. This stinks. I know what this is about - its about a head coach with too much control. Saw it with Belichick when he cut Kosar.When Butch actually accomplishes something in the NFL, he can get away with a move like this. KJ has accomplished more than Butch. Maybe its Butch that should be cut. I think its time for the front office to start diminishing his role with the team.On the other hand, Belichick cut Milloy this year and they have played well. If the Browns turn things around and win the North, Butch is excused. Its time for results now after cutting KJ.Either way, Butch Davis has just planted his posterior firmly on the proverbial hot seat.Just another day in the life of Cleveland sports...

I'm not happy as a Browns fan at all. I don't need this today. This stinks. I know what this is about - its about a head coach with too much control. Saw it with Belichick when he cut Kosar.When Butch actually accomplishes something in the NFL, he can get away with a move like this. KJ has accomplished more than Butch. Maybe its Butch that should be cut. I think its time for the front office to start diminishing his role with the team.On the other hand, Belichick cut Milloy this year and they have played well. If the Browns turn things around and win the North, Butch is excused. Its time for results now after cutting KJ.Either way, Butch Davis has just planted his posterior firmly on the proverbial hot seat.Just another day in the life of Cleveland sports...
Oh stop your grousing and enjoy your LeBraun - you've got 2 wins already!!!

Memo to Andy Reid and Joe Banner:Kevin Johnson is available on waiversKevin Johnson is a better receiver than anyone on the current rosterKJ is great personal friends and college teammate of D. McNabbThe Birds have tons of cap room to sign KJLet's make it happen! Cheers
Absolutly! This is one of those things that makes way to much sense to ever happen. Didn't the Eagles try to trade for KJ during the off-season? And the Eagles are something like 4 mil under the cap.Like I said, way to much sense to ever happen....I can dream though... :cool:

Eagles don't sign KJ, then Banner should be fired on the spot. You needs guys who can get seperation, and behold, KJ gets seperation.Too much sense.

Eagles don't sign KJ, then Banner should be fired on the spot. You needs guys who can get seperation, and behold, KJ gets seperation.
If the Eagles don't make an effort to bring KJ to Philly, then the fans may stage a revolt...and it could get ugly! The only thing I can see getting in the way is Reid's ego. By bringing in another receiver, Reid would be admitting that the current group of WR's isn't good enough. The whole freaking world knows the Birds WR's are a problem but Reid defends them every week. Yeah, it would get ugly if there's no attempt to bring KJ into the nest.

http://browns.theinsiders.com/2/200273.html"It has been suggested that Johnson's approach to blocking, and a series other mistakes resulted in his benching last week. In addition, stories appeared recently in the local press from unnamed sources disparaging Johnson's off-field demeanor."It's not much, but I guess it sheds a little light.
Thats a load of crap, KJ was the only one that could hold onto the ball when he got hit.

The Browns brass has a lot to answer for this. Prior to the 2002 season, KJ was signed to a pretty sizable deal rather than letting him play out his contract and potentially walk as an UFA. Even at the time, KJ and Davis seemed to have a frosty relationship, so it was strange that the deal was made at the time.Granted, KJ had a very subpar year last year, and wasn't exactly lighting it up this year, but to just cut him like that just makes management look very foolish. Clearly his presence in the locker room or Davis' ego made this thing come to a head.As for potential destinations, we FBGs and Philly fans have talked about KJ to Philly possibilities for years. So it seems a perfect match. So, of course, that means he won't be going to Philly.

I wouldn't be suprised if this didn't have something to do with KJ's alliance with Tim Couch. Something is going on in that locker room and I think they are divided on who the qb should be. Davis' message to the team that Holcomb is his guy and nobody better side otherwise. just my 2 cents.

I wouldn't be suprised if this didn't have something to do with KJ's alliance with Tim Couch. Something is going on in that locker room and I think they are divided on who the qb should be. Davis' message to the team that Holcomb is his guy and nobody better side otherwise. just my 2 cents.
This has nothing to do with KJ's having an alliance to Couch. No Cleveland WR prefers Couch to Holcomb. Actually, it's been reported that Couch is somewhat of a loner in the locker room. Friendly with only often hurt TE Aaron Shea. In my opinion, this is more about Butch sending an under producing team a message - Play my way or we'll get rid of you. KJ is expendable because of Cleveland's WR depth and his preceived lack of blocking didn't help. Why not wait until the offseason to trade him and get something in return?? Who knows, but as a Browns fan, I hope this fires the team up. They seem to be a team just going through the motions now.

Any Pats faithful think they could also be in the hunt for KJ?With Patten going on IR, they have an open roster spot and are short at WR.The only question is whether they can put him in a role that he's happy with...

Johnson is a clone of the other Pats' WR's and we could use another WR (plus due to injuries, the Pats only have 51 guys on the active roster, so........)

Anyone have KJ's height and weight or any other relevant info handy?
From Yahoo...Kevin Johnson #85 | Wide Receiver | Cleveland BrownsHeight: 5-11 Weight: 195 Born: Jul 15, 1976 - Trenton, NJ College: SyracuseDraft: 1999 - 2nd round (1st pick) by the Cleveland Browns

Any Pats faithful think they could also be in the hunt for KJ?With Patten going on IR, they have an open roster spot and are short at WR.The only question is whether they can put him in a role that he's happy with...
Belichick wouldn't touch Terry Glenn 2.0 (KJ) with a 10 foot pole.

McNabb pleaded for Johnson when there were questions swirling with KJ before. I firmly believe that Kevin Johnson will be an Eagle by Friday. He can also be a productive reciever in the right setting. Banner has probaly already been emailed by McNabb expressing his feelings once again and this time they will listen.

Get real everybody.While KJ being cut is somewhat of a surprise, more so because of the late point in the season than the actual cut, let us not forget KJ really isn't a special WR. I hear about his "good" hands and all, but he has performed like a severe underachiever the last couple of years and has looked like a dime a dozen WR. Really what's the big fuss with KJ. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Users who are viewing this thread