What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kevin O'Connell (1 Viewer)

shakeybarn

Footballguy
Seems the Pats haven't been thoroughly convinced in Cassel going into the season (you can find plenty of rhetoric on this over the summer). They grabbed Guiterrez, and then went ahead and targeted Kevin O'Connell in yet another draft. A quality MWC QB on a lackluster SDSU offense. Shockingly... it was supposed to be a Cassel v Guit battle for the #2 spot. Lo and behold, O'Connell hangs on to the #3 while Guit' falls to the practice squad.

Anyone doubling up and now realizing the importance of a Pats QB handcuff. Seems you are throwing 50-95% of your season cap room on Cassel... curious if anyone is affordably doubling up or not... with O'Connell....

Not to mention dynasty potential should he come into the starting spot (injury or Cassel getting the hook) and performing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think O'Connell has a bright future, just not with the Patriots. He looked real good in preseason and I figure eventually he won't be carrying Brady's shoulder pads.

Now, it seems it's Cassel's chance. The rosters would have to be real deep in redraft to grab O'Connell.

You may be confusing fan/media talk with BB/Patriot players talking. While the fans were up in arms over Cassel's play in the preseason (he was awful) BB and his teammates have continually supported him. In fact they supported him so much they cut Guitterez and from everything I've heard/read/seen they did not seriously think about adding another veteran into the mix.

It really appears that the Pats have confidence in him...it does not appear to be a smokescreen. The fact that the QB they recently added is Guitterez and not a veteran like Simms, Rattay or Culpepper would seem to reinforce that. Right now this job is Cassel's and if he continues to play like he did last week it will remain that way. Now if he struggles in the next three-four weeks (especially with games against weaker teams like San Fran and Miami) things may change but right now this is his show.

As for O'Connell, I don't see him getting time (outside of mop up duty) unless Cassel falls apart and the season becomes a complete disaster. If that's the case than he would probably see the field as Cassel is a free agent after this year and they would probably like to get him some time to potentially move up to the #2 role in 2009. Fantasywise I see him having almost no value this year.

Seems the Pats haven't been thoroughly convinced in Cassel going into the season (you can find plenty of rhetoric on this over the summer). They grabbed Guiterrez, and then went ahead and targeted Kevin O'Connell in yet another draft. A quality MWC QB on a lackluster SDSU offense. Shockingly... it was supposed to be a Cassel v Guit battle for the #2 spot. Lo and behold, O'Connell hangs on to the #3 while Guit' falls to the practice squad.Anyone doubling up and now realizing the importance of a Pats QB handcuff. Seems you are throwing 50-95% of your season cap room on Cassel... curious if anyone is affordably doubling up or not... with O'Connell....Not to mention dynasty potential should he come into the starting spot (injury or Cassel getting the hook) and performing.
On ESPN radio it was mentioned that Guiterrez outplayed O'Connell in the preseason. Is this true? Also, wouldn't you think that Guiterrez has more upside than O'Connell?

Seems the Pats haven't been thoroughly convinced in Cassel going into the season (you can find plenty of rhetoric on this over the summer). They grabbed Guiterrez, and then went ahead and targeted Kevin O'Connell in yet another draft. A quality MWC QB on a lackluster SDSU offense. Shockingly... it was supposed to be a Cassel v Guit battle for the #2 spot. Lo and behold, O'Connell hangs on to the #3 while Guit' falls to the practice squad.Anyone doubling up and now realizing the importance of a Pats QB handcuff. Seems you are throwing 50-95% of your season cap room on Cassel... curious if anyone is affordably doubling up or not... with O'Connell....Not to mention dynasty potential should he come into the starting spot (injury or Cassel getting the hook) and performing.
On ESPN radio it was mentioned that Guiterrez outplayed O'Connell in the preseason. Is this true? Also, wouldn't you think that Guiterrez has more upside than O'Connell?
Guiterrez also outplayed Cassel in the preseason but from the short time I watched O'Connell it seemed like he has the best tools out of the 3.O'Connell's spot as the 3rd QB was almost assured on draft day

Why would you think this? Guiterrez went undrafted.Edit to add: Then after he was cut, no one signed him. So apparently, no one in the league outside of NE has been particularly interested in his services. Kevin O'Connell is a big guy. He is a legit 6'05, and is visibly bigger than Brady, Cassel, and Guiterrez when standing next to them.

Why would you think this? Guiterrez went undrafted.Edit to add: Then after he was cut, no one signed him. So apparently, no one in the league outside of NE has been particularly interested in his services. Kevin O'Connell is a big guy. He is visibly bigger than Brady, Cassel, and Guiterrez when standing next to them.
Dan McGwire was a big big QB. Also, Andrew Walker was huge. I don't think O'Connell is known to have more upside than either of those two QBs.

Why would you think this? Guiterrez went undrafted.Edit to add: Then after he was cut, no one signed him. So apparently, no one in the league outside of NE has been particularly interested in his services. Kevin O'Connell is a big guy. He is visibly bigger than Brady, Cassel, and Guiterrez when standing next to them.
Dan McGwire was a big big QB. Also, Andrew Walker was huge. I don't think O'Connell is known to have more upside than either of those two QBs.
That note on O'Connell wasn't stating that he was good, just that he was quite big. O'Connell is much more athletic than either one of those guys. He was one of the most athletic QB's at the combine and led his college team in rushing and receiving. NE took him in the third with a healthy Brady. Now, he might be a useless bust, but Pioli/BB saw something in him they liked.

you need to watch him. He has some nice upside. More than any QB on the Pats aside from Brady. He's just not ready.

Here are basically the options as I see it.

For 2008, if Cassel bombs or gets hurt early in the season, they will have to go with Gutierrez. If it's later in the year, it would probably be O'Connell. I don't think they really love Gutierrez, but he's their best immediate backup as of today. Another option if Cassel went down may be Testaverde, but they don't want to shake Cassel's confidence by even exploring other options.

Cassell is a free agent after this year, and if he does well in 2008 he will probably move on for a lot more money. If he does terrible then they probably wouldn't want him back in the first place. So for Cassel to return next year, he has do do ok but not great. And by then I would think O'Connell would move up to the #2 spot if Cassel were out of the picture.

O'Connell has everything it takes - strong arm great size, team captain for 4 years which I think is big in NE, and if I am not mistaken he scored the highest in the draft class on the wonderlic. He needs to be on your roster. 2nd half this week he starts I bet.

O'Connell has everything it takes - strong arm great size, team captain for 4 years which I think is big in NE, and if I am not mistaken he scored the highest in the draft class on the wonderlic. He needs to be on your roster. 2nd half this week he starts I bet.
I really like O'Connell a lot, but I also think Cassel hasplayed well enough to hold his job, at least for the near future.

Going to bump this topic and ask opinions more for dynasty value, esp on deeper teams or those with TSs.

Is O'Connell worth the pickup, esp b/c of Cassel's performance as of late? I would agree with most people and think that Cassel has played well enough to earn looks from other teams this offseason, and NE probably won't pay to keep him on the roster. Considering O'Connell will probably be the b/u to Brady next year, is he worth stashing now for the upside?

Going to bump this topic and ask opinions more for dynasty value, esp on deeper teams or those with TSs.Is O'Connell worth the pickup, esp b/c of Cassel's performance as of late? I would agree with most people and think that Cassel has played well enough to earn looks from other teams this offseason, and NE probably won't pay to keep him on the roster. Considering O'Connell will probably be the b/u to Brady next year, is he worth stashing now for the upside?
I'd wait until the offseason. One has to wonder if the scare the Pat's had with Brady this year means that they will make a more concerted (financial) effort to have a BU with NFL starting experience on the roster. BB was already planning to do that with Simms before Brady got hurt.Ironically, Cassell's performance this season probably makes him THE ideal candidate to BU Brady next year. He has real-life starting experience now running the Pat's offense in all game scenarios and has proven he can win. The Pats might get outbid for his services, but I wouldn't guarantee that.

Users who are viewing this thread