What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kinsler or Adrian GonzALES - kEEPER LEAGUE (1 Viewer)

Abraham

Footballguy
I just joined a league that uses Windows Baseball something or other to play a simulated season using the data/stats from the prior year. We will begin using 2012 and then play 2013 next year, etc. 16 teams. Defense matters. I'm picking in two picks and am eyeing Kinsler or Gonzales. We are in the 6th round of a 16 team draft and some questionable picks have been made so I'm fortunate these guys are on the board still.

Current rooster (in order of my picking them)

Matt Kemp

Starlin Castro

Evan Longoria (in the 3rd round)

Hanley Ramirez

Carlos Santana

Anyone have any quick thoughts? Kinsler is at a more premium position but Gonzales, if he rebounds, would be a still.

I imagine a guy like Kinsler is slipping because of defense, bad defense at MI can be killer. See the WIS BTTF draft thread, we sim at the end of the season and defense is a factor. A-Gon likely slipped due to depth at 1B.

FYI Kinsler went 38th overall and A-Gon went 36th in the WIS draft(24 team league)

Last edited by a moderator:
If this is a progressive league that will use the same players in 2014, 2015, etc., I'd be concerned about Kinsler getting moved off of 2B if the Rangers keep Profar and Andrus. I think Kinsler is OK for this year but could lose eligibility in the future. A lot of his value comes from his defensive position.

I also already have two other Dodgers, although that doesn't typically scare me. I realize there is depth at 1st base but 7 have been selected already. 5 2bs have been taken.

If this is a progressive league that will use the same players in 2014, 2015, etc., I'd be concerned about Kinsler getting moved off of 2B if the Rangers keep Profar and Andrus. I think Kinsler is OK for this year but could lose eligibility in the future. A lot of his value comes from his defensive position.
Yeah, what about a guy like Kipnis? I'm assuming many are taking players for the future, right?Also, with Castro and Hanley are you playing one at 2B already?At 1B are guys like Goldschmidt or Freddie Freeman already gone?

Yeah, what about a guy like Kipnis? I'm assuming many are taking players for the future, right?Also, with Castro and Hanley are you playing one at 2B already?At 1B are guys like Goldschmidt or Freddie Freeman already gone?
yES, IT'S a keeper league. Some teams are swinging on really young guys (Machado went in round 2 for example) leaving some decent current players this late.Kipnis went in round 4.Goldshmidt went round 3.FFreeman went round 3.I took Santana over Rizzo last round and now he is gone. The best "young" 1B still available appears to be Hosmer.1bs already taken: Fielder, Votto, Pujols (1st round), Butler (2nd), Freeman, GOldschmidt (3rd), Craig (4th)I'm now OTC.

yES, IT'S a keeper league. Some teams are swinging on really young guys (Machado went in round 2 for example) leaving some decent current players this late.Kipnis went in round 4.Goldshmidt went round 3.FFreeman went round 3.I took Santana over Rizzo last round and now he is gone. The best "young" 1B still available appears to be Hosmer.1bs already taken: Fielder, Votto, Pujols (1st round), Butler (2nd), Freeman, GOldschmidt (3rd), Craig (4th)I'm now OTC.
Can you post who is gone?

OF TroutM SP HamelsC OF JonesA OF JacksonA OF ZobristB OF HarperB 3B MachadoM 1B FreemanF C RosarioW 3B Middlebrooks C PoseyB 1B ButlerB SP CainM SP CuetoJ OF CespedesY OF McCutchenA 3B WrightD 1B Encarnacion OF ReddickJ 2B PhillipsB OF BraunR OF UptonJ SP Bumgarner C WietersM SP DarvishY OF CabreraM C MauerJ 1B Goldschmidt 2B KipnisJ OF TrumboM OF HamiltonJ 2B HillA C RuizC 1B Craig 3B RamirezA 1B FielderP RP RodneyF SP WeaverJ OF Holliday OF WillinghamJ OF KempM SS CastroS 3B LongoriaE 3B RamirezH C SantanaC 1B VottoJ OF GonzalezC 3B HeadleyC OF ChooS C MonteroM RP – Melden2B CanoR SP PriceD OF BruceJ SP GreinkeZ SP LohseK RP – ChapmanSP StrasburgS SP HernandezF RP MotteJ SP GonzalezG OF GordonA OF – AokiSP KershawC 2B PedroiaD SS ReyesJ 3B Zimmerman SP ShieldsJ SP ShieldsJOF StantonG SP VerlanderJ SP SaleC SS Tulowitzki SP DickeyR RP KimbrelC1B PujolsA 3B BeltreA C MolinaC SS DesmondI SP PeavyJ OF RiosASP MooreM OF HeywardJ SS SimmonsA 3B LawrieB 1B RizzoA SP LatosM
Highlighted team is me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fernando Rodney in the 2nd :shock:
After the season the game spits out fielding rankings and pitching rankings. Highest is a 20 and Rodney got a 19 while guys like Verlander and Kershaw got 16's. So he'll be REALLY good for the 2012 simulation.

You need to think about pitching at some point. J.Zimmerman, Gallardo, Scherzer and Sabathia seem like the best remaining options, although you could make the case that the position has already plateaued.

How are you planning on handling the Longo/Hanley/Starling trio? Play one at DH or can you play Hanley at 2B?

How are you planning on handling the Longo/Hanley/Starling trio? Play one at DH or can you play Hanley at 2B?
They are locked in to last years positions for the moment. With Evan getting hurt I can backfill with Hanley and use one off the bench or whatever. We can also trade.

'Eephus said:
Solid starting pitching is more important in a replay league than in 5x5 roto.
Yeah, but that ship may have sailed on me. Sabathia is available as is Doc. Cliff lee just went. I may keep drafting bats and then jump on the "young with upside" train (bundy, Teheran, etc.) and hope for the best.

'Eephus said:
Solid starting pitching is more important in a replay league than in 5x5 roto.
Yeah, but that ship may have sailed on me. Sabathia is available as is Doc. Cliff lee just went. I may keep drafting bats and then jump on the "young with upside" train (bundy, Teheran, etc.) and hope for the best.
I take Sabathia if he's there at your next pick. Without question.

We are on pick 106 and I'm skipping Ian Kinsler to take Adam Wainwright. For reference, the last 5 pitchers taken were Matt Harrison, CC, Joe Nathan, and Lance Lynne, and Hellickson. Wainwright will be the 22nd starting pitcher selected, which seems like good value to me.

So I'm feeling pretty good about this pick.

We are on pick 106 and I'm skipping Ian Kinsler to take Adam Wainwright. For reference, the last 5 pitchers taken were Matt Harrison, CC, Joe Nathan, and Lance Lynne, and Hellickson. Wainwright will be the 22nd starting pitcher selected, which seems like good value to me.So I'm feeling pretty good about this pick.
:thumbup: Good call.

So halladay has lost velocity. Hm. I pick again by lunchtime and am looking at kinsler, gallardo, and halladay.

Even though I only have one pitcher leaving kinsler seems criminal.

So halladay has lost velocity. Hm. I pick again by lunchtime and am looking at kinsler, gallardo, and halladay. Even though I only have one pitcher leaving kinsler seems criminal.
Gallardo for sure. Would have taken him in front of Wainwright probably.

Really? Interesting. Not familiar with him but much of what I've read is of the opinion that he won't get much better.

I'm up in 4 picks. The guy who was considering Kinsler took Beltran instead. So here we are....

We are 116 picks in to the draft.

7 second baseman have been drafted, Kinsler is available.

34 Starting pitchers have been drafted, Gallardo and Halladay are both available.

11 1B have been drafted, Hosmer is still available (I have Adrian Gonzales).

Leaning towards Gallardo just because I think the value is there and I imagine Kinsler and Halladay are slipping due to ageism. I MIGHT have a chance at one or the other in the next round. Gallardo is 27 and pitches 200 innings and is good with the strikeouts. Would make a good #2 next to Wainwright for the next few years I think. Kinsler is still young enough to have value for a few years but I already have some nice bats in the lineup and apparently this SIM value pitching quite a bit.

I'm up in 4 picks. The guy who was considering Kinsler took Beltran instead. So here we are....We are 116 picks in to the draft. 7 second baseman have been drafted, Kinsler is available. 34 Starting pitchers have been drafted, Gallardo and Halladay are both available. 11 1B have been drafted, Hosmer is still available (I have Adrian Gonzales).Leaning towards Gallardo just because I think the value is there and I imagine Kinsler and Halladay are slipping due to ageism. I MIGHT have a chance at one or the other in the next round. Gallardo is 27 and pitches 200 innings and is good with the strikeouts. Would make a good #2 next to Wainwright for the next few years I think. Kinsler is still young enough to have value for a few years but I already have some nice bats in the lineup and apparently this SIM value pitching quite a bit.
I definetely go Gallardo if he's there.

I'm up in 4 picks. The guy who was considering Kinsler took Beltran instead. So here we are....We are 116 picks in to the draft. 7 second baseman have been drafted, Kinsler is available. 34 Starting pitchers have been drafted, Gallardo and Halladay are both available. 11 1B have been drafted, Hosmer is still available (I have Adrian Gonzales).Leaning towards Gallardo just because I think the value is there and I imagine Kinsler and Halladay are slipping due to ageism. I MIGHT have a chance at one or the other in the next round. Gallardo is 27 and pitches 200 innings and is good with the strikeouts. Would make a good #2 next to Wainwright for the next few years I think. Kinsler is still young enough to have value for a few years but I already have some nice bats in the lineup and apparently this SIM value pitching quite a bit.
Kind of what I'm thinking. Every keeper list I can find has Kinsler in the top 30 overall but I don't know how long he'll be a 2B and his numbers have declined for two years. If I can get Gallardo here then in 20 picks or so I can look at Kinsler or Halladay (both of whom might be available based on how this draft is going) or someone like Brandon Morrow. But I'm starting to lean in the Gallardo direction - having him to pair with Wainwright after skipping on pitching for 6 rounds would be solid.

Kind of what I'm thinking. Every keeper list I can find has Kinsler in the top 30 overall but I don't know how long he'll be a 2B and his numbers have declined for two years. If I can get Gallardo here then in 20 picks or so I can look at Kinsler or Halladay (both of whom might be available based on how this draft is going) or someone like Brandon Morrow. But I'm starting to lean in the Gallardo direction - having him to pair with Wainwright after skipping on pitching for 6 rounds would be solid.
If your league has drafted decently well, you're already screwed in pitching for this season. The reason for the reduction in price for pitching in a draft is because of the uncertainty. Seeing as you're using last years stats, that uncertainty is gone. Therefore, pitching should have cost roughly on par with hitting. Now, the dynasty format would of course cause hitters to be preferred to pitchers, atleast some, but not to the extent that you'd only pick 1 of the top 34 pitchers.

I don't think the top 34 pitchers are gone. I said 34 starters have been selected. Tommy Hanson and Ryan dumpster are gone while halladay and gallardo are available.

I'm up in about 6 or 7 picks. Considering (in order)....

Josh Johnson

Starling Marte

Desmond Jennings

Lots of decent fourth pitchers left.

Johnson, haren, lincecum, halladay, niese, Lester to name a few.

Yeah. I guess I'm weighing whether to take someone like lincecum now and marte in 18 picks or take Jennings now and someone like Lester in 18 picks.

Between this thread and the play by play of the Rockets in the NBA thread, we pretty much have a daily diary of Abe's life

Between this thread and the play by play of the Rockets in the NBA thread, we pretty much have a daily diary of Abe's life
I didn't start this thread as a disguised wdid. I was much more overt about it. :shrug:While we are here, I'm atarting to work myself up on the idea that lincecum is going to bounce back in a big way.

The pitchers starting to come off the board. Johnson, Lester, bailey, papelbon, some guy from Oakland I've never heard of.

I'd like to grab lincecum I think so we shall see...

A couple owners in a row have slowed this thing down to a crawl. Took Josh Rutledge last round. So for now...

1B: Adrian GOnzalez

2B: Rutledge

SS: Castro

3B: Longoria / Hanley

OF: Kemp / JEnnings.

SP: Wainwright / Lincecum / Kennedy / Gallardo

I'm trying to see how soon is too soon for Marte. I know nothing about him but have gotten excited about his prospects for some reason. His speed/defense to go with Jennings should result in a ton of runs.

Users who are viewing this thread