What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's Start a new Keeper League- no IDP- NEED OWNERS (1 Viewer)

Caesar

Footballguy
Looking to see if I can get 11-13 others to start up a keeper league.  I am happy to set everything up, and commish.  I'm also willing to sit back and be a participant.  I have commished dynasty and redraft, but never a keeper league.  Posting here to see if I can muster up enough interest in a starter keeper league where we start it from the ground up.  Everyone's opinion counts.

Everyone has a say in the final setup of the league.  Only things I know for sure is that I want a keeper league, but I am open to how it is put together,  and NO IDP.  

Some things that are on the table would be superflex, starting lineup reqs, number of teams (12 or 14), number of keepers, ETC.  If you have a hangup and will only play if its "this way" then this probably isn't something that will interest you.  

I want active owners who are not ##### and willing to make the league fun and flexible and maybe want to try something new.  Its all on the table as far as I'm concerned.  I am thinking about $100 buy in, leaguesafe.com of course, and probably on MFL.

Anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:
I ran a keeper league for many years starting back in 2000. Great format. The core was how the keepers were limited: total of 7 players. No more than 2 at any one position with the exception of the 7th player that could be of any position but had to be a rookie. People loved the format and actually copied it for other leagues that they started. 

I am more interested in IDP these days. But maybe would consider if you opted to do RTSports. (all my leagues are on there and it just makes things easier for me to be on one site). If you go that direction, let me know, I might jump in. 

I don't have an aversion to going on RTS.  I don't have any leagues on there right now, but I likely will have something on there since KFFSC uses them.  Let's see if I can draw any interest in a startup and go from there.  so far, not much, but its a holiday weekend, so not sure how many will be looking right now.

I play both RTS & MFL & may be interested. Love the Superflex format & willing to play any league size Keeper up to full Dynasty. I will follow & decide when you lock in on some rules/settings. $100 buy in is cool- but I suggest at least a partial pay towards 2018 for keepers & dynasty leagues to reduce year to year turnover. Payouts is another big factor on joining... % 60/30/10 or?

pure salary league on all players

live auction draft

off-season is 50% of your in-season salary, a small increase for all player, a bit more for top 5 at each position

That is the most fun format of any league I've ever been in FYI

pure salary league on all players

live auction draft

off-season is 50% of your in-season salary, a small increase for all player, a bit more for top 5 at each position

That is the most fun format of any league I've ever been in FYI
I have been wanting to try my hand at a salary cap league. 

I have absolutely zero interest in a salary league but am pretty interested in a $100 keeper league, depending on the rules. My personal opinion, 3-5 keepers per team with no keepers from the first 2-3 rounds of the draft. Keep a player by declaring them and then using the same round pick on them from year to year. Possibly with a three year limit or perhaps after three years you have to move them a round up to keep them every year or so.... With no IDP I'd think a roster in the 18-22 range would work. I'm open to the idea of superflex but think QB should be limited to 1-2 in the starting line-up.

So Caesar, you looking at doing a draft process, then whatever selected number of keepers we want, we lose that pick for the following year or what would you have in mind?  I am in an existing keeper league, where 1) max of 6 players kept, 2) if you keep a player that you drafted previously, ex 10th, if you wish to keep him, it would cost you an 8th round pick and if you wish to keep him the following season, it would cost you the value of a 6th pick.  Max of 3 years you can keep a player. 3) you can franchise a player who you drafted in the 1st or 2nd round but only for the next season.  The value of this player would be your very last draft pick, so the 20th or 22nd or 24th or whatever the last round pick would be.  I'd be very interested in joining if you are considering a league somewhat similar to this.  Thoughts?

I have absolutely zero interest in a salary league but am pretty interested in a $100 keeper league, depending on the rules. My personal opinion, 3-5 keepers per team with no keepers from the first 2-3 rounds of the draft. Keep a player by declaring them and then using the same round pick on them from year to year. Possibly with a three year limit or perhaps after three years you have to move them a round up to keep them every year or so.... With no IDP I'd think a roster in the 18-22 range would work. I'm open to the idea of superflex but think QB should be limited to 1-2 in the starting line-up.
This is along the lines of what I was thinking initially. Don't want too many keepers and I don't think I would want to do salary.  Auctions are fun, but probably fit more with salary.

if we go this route, I'd lean toward 3 keepers after round 2, but would be a vote by the league to finalize. 

If we head this direction, who's with me?

This is along the lines of what I was thinking initially. Don't want too many keepers and I don't think I would want to do salary.  Auctions are fun, but probably fit more with salary.

if we go this route, I'd lean toward 3 keepers after round 2, but would be a vote by the league to finalize. 

If we head this direction, who's with me?
Sounds ok so far, let's hear more ideas here.  You can keep these players for how many years?  PPR? Roster sizes? IR?  Waiver wire designation? etc.....

Sounds ok so far, let's hear more ideas here.  You can keep these players for how many years?  PPR? Roster sizes? IR?  Waiver wire designation? etc.....
After giving this some thought, we've generated a little interest, but it seems people may be looking more for something that is already set up.  So, I am going to set some base rules based on your questions, but it will always be up for negotiation.

RTSports using myleaguesafe.com for the $100 annual entry. 

20 man rosters, 2 IR slots,  1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1SFLEX, 1FLEX, 1TeamD (No kicker is my preference)

Players can be kept 3 years, starting with players drafted round 3 or later.  Give up the round higher to keep following year.  (ie, if drafted in 5th, give up a 4th year 2, give up a 3rd year 3) 

4pt per PaTD, 6 for all others.  1pt per 20PaYds, 10RuYds, 10ReYds, 1PPR for all

FABB for waiver wire with $1000 start. 

Keep up to 3 each year with the given conditions.  (willing to negotiate, but I think 3 is a nice balance and keeps it competitive.

I am also thinking random pick generation for the maiden draft, and then a lottery system for subsequent years.  ie, if you finish last, 12 entries, next to last, 11 entries, and so on.  Then generate the draft order from those.  I think this is fair to increase owners returning,  maintain balance, and prevent total tanking, but still keep it random and fun for drafts.  (since I have never done a keeper, I imagine all drafts are serpentine, unlike dynasty where subsequent drafts are 1-12, 1-12, etc.)  We are only keeping 3, so I think a straight draft would be too much of an advantage, 

Any other questions or suggestions, and we can certainly discuss either here or in a PM.  (working nights this week, so might not get immediate reply, but I'll be back on days next week)

Who's in?  If I get 4 commmitted in this thread, I will go ahead and set up the league and then post a new topic here to get the rest of the owners.

Not a fan of paying up front for future year.  If anything this league if it has turnover, should be easier to replace new ownership unlike a crappy keeper league where the worst team in the league finishes 2-10 and has very little talent to build from, but it's not a deal breaker.

Scoring system for Defenses?

20 man rosters but if we get a free agent during the season, what draft pick value would they have?  I would think it should be something like a 10th round pick.  And if you have 2 players you are wanting to keep then it would have to be something like a 10th rounder and a pick lower (9th).

$1,000 for bids, you going to have an initial close of something like Wednesday 9 pm and then first come, first serve for $0 or $1 or....? which would carry us to game time for that questionable player who may not play type of scenario?

Trading, always hate to see a trade go down late Saturday night/early Sunday morning and it's deemed unfair but it gets passed, so consider having a time frame limit of something like 1 pm SATURDAY (24 hr period) to complete a deal that still has to be approved by ownership or a committee, otherwise the deal would be on hold until after the weekend

IRs? 1 or 2 or?  I'd like to see a rule say if an owner makes claim to a free agent who is on the NFL IR, the player has to be on our active roster for ## of weeks.  This would prevent a team from stockpiling pretty good IR'ed players on their IR list.

I'm sure there are a few other wrinkles to go over but it sounds good so far.

First, I can see your point about the money into next year idea.  A keeper league where you keep up to three is not going to have too many issues finding new owners if needed, I would think, so I am going back to my post to edit that out. 

I meant to add the defensive scoring in.  I got up for a meeting right there and forgot to put that up.  Pretty standard.  2Pt INT, 2PT FR, 6PT DTD, 2Pt for safety, then some scale for offensive points allowed.  I don't like penalizing defenses for that team's QB throwing a pick-6.  Also on the offensive side 2pt for 2pt conversion.  Only negative points would be for Int -1. I might be forgetting some things, but I anticipate fairly simple scoring system.  I've been in complex scoring leagues and its just too hard to even wrap your head around what is going on week to week, especially for addicts who have more than a few leagues to go through. 

I did mention 2 IR spots.  I have seen rules in the past, in which you can't pick some one off the waiver wire who is on NFL IR.  This prevents what you are talking about and allows for normal FABB once  they are active again.  I can go either way, but again, that seems like a smaller detail which can be voted on.

I think 2 FABB periods.  Second one would exclude those who played in the thursday game(s).  Never a fan of FCFS in waiver wire claims and with 20 (+2)  man rosters and no kickers, I don't see too much of a strain on people being able to cover for injuries.  Again, I can easily be swayed on any of the details once the main league format takes shape. 

I agree with a trade cutoff time each week.  Specifics can be tabled.  Not a fan of league approval on trades, but I understand it needs to be done for extreme cases. 

As I said originally, I think the details can be hashed out once the league gets enough owners.  I really do want people to have a say in the details. 

not sure if you mentioned last week to trade.i think should be no later than the start of 13th week.12th week or earlier is even better.if you want to trade away next years draft pick spots for some reasoni know it is a keeper league but the team should have to pay the following year before trade goes threw.

i would be interested in joining also

Trade deadline has to be before the end of the regular season of fantasy football.  If it's a 12 game regular season then I'd think prefer to have the deadline at Week 10.

As for what you added in response to my points, Caesar sounds good to me :thumbup:

I play both RTS & MFL & may be interested. Love the Superflex format & willing to play any league size Keeper up to full Dynasty. I will follow & decide when you lock in on some rules/settings. $100 buy in is cool- but I suggest at least a partial pay towards 2018 for keepers & dynasty leagues to reduce year to year turnover. Payouts is another big factor on joining... % 60/30/10 or?
Just realized I didn't respond to this one as far as payouts go, but 60/30/10 sounds pretty close after the RTSports fees come out, of course.

So, you in?  If so, that's at least 4 and I will set it up. 

Caesar, I think it best that you lay down the foundation of the constitution / rules first before, then you get people to jump on board quickly.

Show the scoring system, the pay-outs, roster breakdown, the time frame for waiver wire moves, trading deadline, the value of what the keepers will be for following years, how the opening draft will go (email with 12 or 24 hour time limit, or live or), 1 division or 2 or 3 and everything else that is usually required to gain interest.

If I can make a suggestion on having a "draw" for draft positions, as in have a site or app or whatever decide "an order" then let the listed teams who are at the top of this winning lottery draw PICK their own draft position.  In case that isn't clear, Team A wins the draft draw lottery, followed by Team B, Team C...etc.... Team A then has a choice of picking his draft spot, so he takes position 6 (something in the middle because that's what he wants), then Team B has the remaining spots, so he takes position 1, then Team C takes.......etc...etc.

As for my position for the league, I'm like 95% in.  I have a friend who might want to go in with me or separately.

I agree with CanadianNFL in that I would like to see more of the league hammered out before I really know I am in or out. Of course, nothing has to be set in stone and more discussion can follow but putting the skeleton that the meat can be put on- I think right now we have more of a layout. There are some things that it looks like the league is going that I am not exactly a fan of but none are deal breakers either. 

My biggest hang up right now is the rules on the keepers. Not sure I like the restrictions on how long you can keep and the losing draft picks. Is there a limit on how many keepers? I don't seem to see that. I am about 50/50 right now. 

The plan is to limit the keepers to players drafted after the 2nd round and I believe a limit of 3 is the direction the league wants to go. 

So if you have drafted RB Levon Bell in 1st round and WR DeAndre Hopkins in the 2nd round, they are going to be free agents next year.  If you drafted WR Golden Tate in the 3rd and RB Carlos Hyde in the 4th and TE Zach Ertz in the 5th and then later on you drafted WR Pierre Garcon in the 15th round and WR Kevin White in the 18th and Garcon and White out-performed Tate then you have to decide who to keep.  I believe the plan would be if you keep Tate for the 2018 season, you would have to give up a 2nd round pick, which seems steep to do.  So you decide to keep Garcon who you drafted in the 15th round, so you would lose your 14th round pick in 2018.  Lots of talent is going to be free so if you took chances on injured players and or rookies and they crapped out, chances are you can quickly be a contender the next year and you get to keep (2 or) 3 players for the new year.

What will need to be determined is the draft value of all free agents that we claim off of waivers during the year.  I say they should have a fairly strong value, something like in the middle of a draft.  So if we go 24 rounds, they should have a value of a 12th round.  Also using the example I list above, let's say Tate plays with a nagging injury at the beginning of the year and the owner cuts him.  If another team wants to take a chance on him, what will his draft pick value be? 3rd round pick or 12th round or?

I hear ya.  I will go ahead and set up a league on RTSports and start a new thread with a link to it and seek out the owners needed to fill.  I am pretty sure I will be able to get enough on here.  I will also leave a note in the new thread that almost any rule can be challenged and put up to a vote to alter with a firm "second" to the change.  That is how most leagues I've been in do things anyway.

I want to thank everyone in the thread for the interest, thoughts, ideas, and discussion.  Please go into the new thread when it is up and follow the link to the league page and let me know if there is anything that I forget to include in the scoring, rules, etc.

I'm not trying to reinvent fantasy football here.  I just want to try a keeper league where it stays competitive year over year as opposed to most of the dynasties I'm in where teams tend to dominate for a few years at a time. 

If I didn't take your suggestion and incorporate it, its not because its not good, it just isn't what I prefer or am looking for neccessarily at this time.  Thank you again everyone, and hope to see you in the new league.

Users who are viewing this thread