What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mike Tice & the 2005 Vikings revisited: Not as bad (1 Viewer)

Andy Dufresne

Footballguy
I still think he was a doof. And I still don't think he was the right coach for the Vikings franchise. And I'm still glad he is gone.But.The 2005 season wasn't as bad as it looked. Faced with losing his franchise QB, Pro-Bowl center, starting strong safety (Offord), the suspension of Onterrio Smith, the injury to his #1 WR Nate Burleson, the boat scandal, and on an on...And here are the teams that made up the seven losses:L - Bucs*L - Bengals*L - FalconsL - Bears*L - Panthers*L - Steelers*L - Ravens*=Playoff teamObviously, there's no shame in losing to the Panthers, Steelers, and Bears. Obviously the Bucs and Bengals were more talented than most thought at the beginning of the year. The Falcons were still a top team at the beginning of the year.The only egg that was laid was against the Ravens, for which there's no excuse.The job Tice did, in retrospect, was admirable. I think there's lots of hope for Vikings fans this coming year. Especially if they trade Culpepper and end up with another high draft pick (which I believe will happen).Just thought it was interesting in hindsight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Offord wasn't the starter. He started one game because Sharper was injured. He was however a great Special Teams player.

Offord wasn't the starter.  He started one game because Sharper was injured.  He was however a great Special Teams player.
True. He was the special teams captain. And Sharper was more injured early in the season than was let on, wasn't he?Another that I forgot was Udeze. Lost for the season.

And Kevin Williams.

And Moe Williams.

Every team has injuries, I understand, but to so many key people?

Kind of a tough break for Tice. I thought what he did with this team over the last half of the year was incredible. I mean the entire world had writen them off and sealed their grave. The team and players where in a situation that would have made nearly anyone say "awww F it!" Yet, he put this tem in the running for a playoffs spot. Sure, the competition wasn't great down the stretch, but still I found it very impressive.

This team got buried earlier in the year for losing to TB, Cincy, and Chicago...it's just that no one expected those three teams to be as good as they turned out to be.

This team got buried earlier in the year for losing to TB, Cincy, and Chicago...it's just that no one expected those three teams to be as good as they turned out to be.
True, it wasn't as much of a watered-down schedule as many were making it out to be.

That's exactly what I'm saying. And the late season loss to the Steelers is all of a sudden in a different perspective.

That's exactly what I'm saying. And the late season loss to the Steelers is all of a sudden in a different perspective.
That's the ticket! :thumbup:

It's an interesting idea to float, but that ship has sailed.
I guess I'm just saying that I wouldn't be surprised to see him be a head coach again somewhere.
Also worth mentioning was the limited funds Tice was given to hire his staff. Tice was the head coach, not a coordinator. And McCombs had Tice hire offensive line coach Steve Loney to be the offensive coordinator. I am wonder how well a Bill Parcells guy would have done if his hands were also tied when hiring a coaching staff.

I guess I'm just saying that I wouldn't be surprised to see him be a head coach again somewhere.
Also worth mentioning was the limited funds Tice was given to hire his staff. Tice was the head coach, not a coordinator. And McCombs had Tice hire offensive line coach Steve Loney to be the offensive coordinator. I am wonder how well a Bill Parcells guy would have done if his hands were also tied when hiring a coaching staff.
It was certainly a coaching staff stripped bare of any talent.

It was, and then you look at Washington where Joe Gibbs has been given the go ahead to hire two offensive coordinators and two defensive coordinators.

I wouldn't mind seeing him as OC in BUF under Jauron... I can't really believe I'm saying that, but for some reason it seems like a good fit...

I wouldn't mind seeing him as OC in BUF under Jauron... I can't really believe I'm saying that, but for some reason it seems like a good fit...
Mike Tice has never been an offensive coordinator before, what would be his qualification for such a position?

It was, and then you look at Washington where Joe Gibbs has been given the go ahead to hire two offensive coordinators and two defensive coordinators.
Yes, there's a rising tide of talent on the Washington staff.

Mike Tice may land somewhere, but the first thing he needs to do is get rid of that pencil behind his ear.It creates scratches on his rectum whenever he pulls his head out of his ###.

Redman has made 6 boat/water related posts and everyone is taking him seriouly?
When a guy is talented enough to make legit one line posts with some substance and humor, he should be applauded.

Users who are viewing this thread