What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Minnesota Vikings Offseason (2007) (1 Viewer)

Spielman considers Hall a blue chipper? Interesting. And by "interesting" I mean disconcerting. :lmao:
He referenced Hall & Revis as being one of the 8 blue chippers twice during the interview. So, it's entirely possible that the other 6 go before the #7 slot.And with the #7 overall pick, the Minnesota Vikings select the BPA - Leon Hall. :lmao:
Oh. Fuuuuuuuuudddddddggggge.Only I didn't say "fudge".
It's starting to remind of 2005 when the closer the draft came, the louder the rumor that the Vikes were going after Williamson. Had the exact same feeling back then - please don't do that. But, of course they did.Ummm...Rick - if you're personal BPA might deserve to be taking lower, please try your best to trade down and maximize the value of having the #7 overall pick. Please.

If they think Hall is BPA then I won't be overly upset with the pick. Getting good CBs is always good. It helps our defense out even more. That said I don't think CB is our biggest need.

I really think it is going to be LLandry at this point. S is debatably the deepest position on the team. Can't wait to see what Morris says in his mock tomorrow.

I like Revis better than Hall, so wouldn't be upset if they took him, but really want Peterson, Landry or Quinn (in that order).

Thursday presser

Thursday, April 26th, 2007 by Kevin Seifert

The Vikings have dropped 90 players from their draft board for medical or character issues, VP of Player Personnel Rick Spielman said today at a Winter Park news conference.

Other highlights from the afternoon gathering:

*Spielman said the Vikings have identified eight “blue-chip” players in this draft, a good thing considering the team has the No. 7 overall pick. Those eight players might not be the obvious names, however. Spielman strongly hinted that two cornerbacks, Michigan’s Leon Hall of Pittsburgh’s Darrelle Revis, are among their top 8. Most media scouting services project Hall and Revis as mid- to late-first round picks.

*Spielman, coach Brad Childress and Director of College Scouting Scott Studwell continued to downplay the issue of who has the “final say” this weekend. Spielman said he will make sure the Vikings draft the kinds of players that Childress wants.

*A member of the Vikings’ personnel department has gotten face time with every player who attended the scouting combine or one of the postseason college all-star games.

*Spielman said he talked today with other teams interested in moving into the No. 7 overall pick, from both directions. Spielman said the Vikings have identified a few players who, if they are available at No. 7, will be taken no matter what offer the Vikings get to trade out of the spot.

"Whether it is a Quarterback, Running Back, Defensive Lineman, the safety from LSU, or one of the Cornerbacks, I think you have to take the best player available."
I probably shouldn't say this. However, I know that Darelle Revis was one of the 25 players that the Vikings had in for a visit. I also know that most mocks predicted him around the middle of the first. I can't help thinking that Revis might be this years Donte Whitner. I think that you can make a case for the Vikings needing a 3rd corner even more than a safety now that Doss is on the roster. Maybe I am just trying to preparing myself so that I am not utterly shocked when the Vikings make their pick. Please tell me I am crazy for thinking this...
you're crazy, unless they trade down quite aways.
Thanks (I guess) and I hope you are right.
*Spielman said the Vikings have identified eight “blue-chip” players in this draft, a good thing considering the team has the No. 7 overall pick. Those eight players might not be the obvious names, however. Spielman strongly hinted that two cornerbacks, Michigan’s Leon Hall of Pittsburgh’s Darrelle Revis, are among their top 8. Most media scouting services project Hall and Revis as mid- to late-first round picks.

Thursday presser

Thursday, April 26th, 2007 by Kevin Seifert

The Vikings have dropped 90 players from their draft board for medical or character issues, VP of Player Personnel Rick Spielman said today at a Winter Park news conference.

Other highlights from the afternoon gathering:

*Spielman, coach Brad Childress and Director of College Scouting Scott Studwell continued to downplay the issue of who has the “final say” this weekend. Spielman said he will make sure the Vikings draft the kinds of players that Childress wants.

*A member of the Vikings’ personnel department has gotten face time with every player who attended the scouting combine or one of the postseason college all-star games.

*Spielman said he talked today with other teams interested in moving into the No. 7 overall pick, from both directions. Spielman said the Vikings have identified a few players who, if they are available at No. 7, will be taken no matter what offer the Vikings get to trade out of the spot.
As a quick follow-up to this, Rick Gosselin just released his top 100 and Revis is #8 and L. Hall is #10. Interesting. Here's the link:http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...2707dnspotop100

Does anybody see anything wrong with Patrick Willis at #7? I know it would be a slight reach and it would be nice if Quinn was still on the board so the Vikings could trade down to #9 and take him there while adding an extra pick.

Does anybody see anything wrong with Patrick Willis at #7? I know it would be a slight reach and it would be nice if Quinn was still on the board so the Vikings could trade down to #9 and take him there while adding an extra pick.
I like that scenario as well...I could see them doing that and maybe throwing in a little 3-4 now and then. Leber could make a good pass rusher in that format.I see that they have eliminated 90 players from their board based on character and/or medical concerns. That is interesting. I saw on Viking Update that they did a media outlet mock draft and Quinn, Peterson and Landry were all available at #7. :lmao:

I really think it is going to be LLandry at this point. S is debatably the deepest position on the team. Can't wait to see what Morris says in his mock tomorrow.
Morris says it's Landry, and he has been right 5-6 years running.
I was not surprised it was Landry. I was surprised how ,speaking the analysis of the Vikings staff, he eviscerated Peterson. Said that the Vikings would trade down and select MLynch before drafting APeterson. I get the strong impression the Vikings like JRussell but not BQuinn very much. If Landry,Russell,Adams and Johnson are all gone by 7 the Vikes may move down a little and take one of the 2 CBs. Hopefully Atlanta does not move up to 6 and grab Landry.

I was not surprised it was Landry. I was surprised how ,speaking the analysis of the Vikings staff, he eviscerated Peterson. Said that the Vikings would trade down and select MLynch before drafting APeterson. I get the strong impression the Vikings like JRussell but not BQuinn very much. If Landry,Russell,Adams and Johnson are all gone by 7 the Vikes may move down a little and take one of the 2 CBs. Hopefully Atlanta does not move up to 6 and grab Landry.
uggg if Peterson is on the board and they pass on him for whoever I will be :football: :thumbup:

FWIW from Pro Football Talk

POSTED 11:36 p.m. EDT; UPDATED 11:44 a.m. EDT, April 27, 2007

VIKES LOCKING ON LANDRY

Industry sources in the Minnesota area tell us that the Vikings are stongly believed to be planning to pick safety LaRon Landry with the No. 7 overall selection in the draft.

The Vikes, we're told, have a history of prepping the fan base for the actual pick, especially in years where the locals are clamoring for someone other than the guy the Vikes have targeted.

As we hear it, the fans want Adrian Peterson or Brady Quinn. If Landry is on the board with either or both of them, Landry will be the pick.

The only guys who could get the Vikes away from Landry would be quarterback JaMarcus Russell and receiver Calvin Johnson. Both are expected to be long gone by the time the Vikes pick.

As to the team's apparent infatuation with Russell, a reader has offered up this gem: "Jamarcus would never get to use that cannon arm in Minnesota. We don't have receivers that can catch, much less go deep for an 84-yard bomb. The longest pass in this offense is three yards shy of the first-down marker."

I like Landry, think he will be a special player - but how does this make sense with all the Safties we have on the rosters right now? Sharper, Blue, Tank, and now Doss?Do they need another Saftey?

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Landry, think he will be a special player - but how does this make sence with all the Safties we have on the rosters right now? Sharper, Blue, Tank, and now Doss?Do they need another Saftey?
tHINKING the same? we need another safety?

I like Landry, think he will be a special player - but how does this make sense with all the Safties we have on the rosters right now? Sharper, Blue, Tank, and now Doss?Do they need another Saftey?
I think you answered your own question...none of those guys can be a "special" player. When you pick top ten, you have to get the special players. Landry is one of them.

I think you answered your own question...none of those guys can be a "special" player. When you pick top ten, you have to get the special players. Landry is one of them.
It's not like Landry will be the only special player on the board at #7. Why not get a special player at a position of bigger need?

It's not like Landry will be the only special player on the board at #7. Why not get a special player at a position of bigger need?
They must think he is likely to be BPA and a special player at the position for 10 years. Long after the guys they have now ( all cast offs from other teams ) are gone.

I think that Landry is 2nd to Calvin in being the best player in the draft. Peterson is a close third, so if he is still available, I like him there but if he is gone, then I think Landry is BPA.

TeamDingo said:
Bull Dozier said:
FunkyPlutos said:
Hov34 said:
They must think he is likely to be BPA and a special player at the position for 10 years. Long after the guys they have now ( all cast offs from other teams ) are gone.
I also was in the "We don't need a saftey" camp, but have been rethinking. First of all, Dwight Smith could be cut with no cap penality because he was signed without a signing bonus. So, if Landry is drafted, Smith is gone. Doss can cover, so he (barring a health setback) gives us a nickel guy who could start the season at safety, move to corner for nickel situations, and give way to Landry during the year. Sharper is getting long in the tooth and who better for Landry to learn the NFL game from than Sharper? Tank and Blue add depth and could provide special teams work for now. I think the fact that Tank and Doss are only signed to one year deals shows that they are not locked into them. I think Landry would be special and I would like the pick. I would also like Peterson, and am not sure how I would feel if both were on the board. Now, the number 6 spot will be the wild card for whether it is Landry. Wash. could use him or I have heard they are shopping the pick.I always thought that Morris' source was Pete Bersech and that was how he nailed it every year. I wonder who it is...he has said he gets inside information to help him.

DJacks is not getting cut.
Why not? Jackson is getting up there in age, has injury issues, missing 13 games over the last two years, plus the fact that Seattle has a lot of money invested in Burleson and Branch. I'd think the 'hawks will try to trade him but eventually cut him because of these reasons.
Because Seattle has a chance to get back to the Super Bowl if Alexander is recovered. They need Jackson for that too. I believe they will keep him for at least the 2007 season as they are in a win now mode. Several of thier other key players such as Walter Jones are getting old also.They may transition after this year and moving Jackson will likely be part of that but I do not see them doing that right now while they still have most of thier Super Bowl team still intact.

We now return you to Viking fans doom and gloom about thier team and the growing lynch mob for Childress and anyone one else involved in the Vikings orginization.
Still think that?http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft07/news...ce=NFLHeadlines

SF to obtain DJax for a 4th? gezzz....wish we could have pulled this one off.

DJacks is not getting cut.
Why not? Jackson is getting up there in age, has injury issues, missing 13 games over the last two years, plus the fact that Seattle has a lot of money invested in Burleson and Branch. I'd think the 'hawks will try to trade him but eventually cut him because of these reasons.
Because Seattle has a chance to get back to the Super Bowl if Alexander is recovered. They need Jackson for that too. I believe they will keep him for at least the 2007 season as they are in a win now mode. Several of thier other key players such as Walter Jones are getting old also.They may transition after this year and moving Jackson will likely be part of that but I do not see them doing that right now while they still have most of thier Super Bowl team still intact.

We now return you to Viking fans doom and gloom about thier team and the growing lynch mob for Childress and anyone one else involved in the Vikings orginization.
Still think that?http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft07/news...ce=NFLHeadlines

SF to obtain DJax for a 4th? gezzz....wish we could have pulled this one off.
Yes I still think this. Saw the article that the Hawks would let Jackson do for a 4th round pick earlier.It makes absolutly no sense to me if the Hawks do this but stranger things have happened that I never thought would before. Like the Vikings trading Randy Moss.

I don't think it would be a good move on the Hawks part at all to do this and if they did it makes me wonder if Jackson is damaged goods.

off to the vikes draft party. hopefully not too many beers are tossed at morris and dubay. :lol:

2 Picks to go:

Peterson

Quinn and Landry still on the board..

Say Peterson goes to the Cards, Landry to the Skins...

Do you want the Vikes to take Quinn, or Hall if they don't get the right offer to trade down?

From KFAN this morning they felt that Landry & Peterson will both be gone and figured they would take Hall..

But I don't think they figured on Quinn being still available.

:lmao:

1 pick away and the Vikes will be on the clock.

Still available:

All Day

Brady Quinn

LeRon Landry

Jamal Anderson

Patrick Willis

I would be happy with any of these guys as the pick. I wonder if the Vikes can get a trade down?

I still want Anderson. Hoping a trade down.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have C Taylor in a dynasty league so that sucks.

However this is a great pick. I wanted Quinn but we went BPA and got a GREAT RB. This will help our team. I am just confused with Taylor there and he had a great year last year. We didn't patch a need area but we really improved the talent on the team.

This is exciting. The Vikings have never had a elite Rb like Peterson ever before.

The Vikes are going to be able to run the ball ALL DAY!

Look for Minnesota to play a lot of low scoring games. Stop the run and run the football ALL DAY. I think that is a good combination for Minnesota.

Look for Minnesota to play a lot of low scoring games. Stop the run and run the football ALL DAY. I think that is a good combination for Minnesota.
:excited: That 6.5 over bet is looking better and better.. :excited: Get a Saftey and a WR to round out day one and it's :lmao: time.

WOOHOO! :pickle:Best occurence in a long time for Vikings fans. :headbang:
:goodposting: After the "waste management" that the team has dealt with in free agency, we NEEDED a prime time player like Peterson to boost morale. Now get a second-tier WR and a safety and we'll have kicked some SERIOUS ### on Day One.

Users who are viewing this thread