What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mort on Michael Vick (1 Viewer)

I can't see a justifiable reason why the Falcons would not take this chance to get out of Vick's contract. Vick has failed to be the player he has been paid to be but at least he brought excitement and fans to the stadium and now he's lost that so he's simply overpaid.

I hope his career is not done however. I think he's one of the more exciting players to watch in the game but if he's convicted the only team that I think would take a chance on him is the Raiders.
Do you actually think it is exciting to watch a QB over throw an open WR or run for his life because he is not capable of reading defenses? This guy is the most over hyped over paid QB in the history of the NFL.
:thumbup:

Exactly , if Vick was nt involved the Feds would not give a $h1T about dog fighting but it s Vick and he is black ( I wonder what would happen if it was Peyton Manning was involved , probably nothing ) . Dog fighting is nothing compare to what those guys did and they are still playing in the NFL .
Use your brain. This has nothing to do with race.

Chris Mortensen on Jim Rome this morning: indicates that Blank has discussed releasing Vick and thinks Michael Vick has played his last game as a Falcon.
FixedETA that this is a very real possibility....
lmao - hold your breath. If covering up murders didn't stop R Lewis, how does this stop Vick from playing again? Dreamer.
:thumbup: I am a dog owner and dog lover, but I don't get the huge uproar with Vick's situation compared to Ray Lewis murder or all the wife beaters in the league. Jamal Lewis is a convicted coke dealer, but still is in the league and only got a 4 game suspension. Leonard Little killed someone while driving drunk and he is still in the league. Kobe Bryant is a rapist, even if he wasn't convicted. Mike Tyson is a convicted rapist and he still went on to make millions in his fights. As a society do we value a dog's life more than human life? I get how horrible of a crime Vick is accused of, but I think it pales in comparison to some other crimes committed by professional athletes.
:thumbup: Exactly , if Vick was nt involved the Feds would not give a $h1T about dog fighting but it s Vick and he is black ( I wonder what would happen if it was Peyton Manning was involved , probably nothing ) .

Dog fighting is nothing compare to what those guys did and they are still playing in the NFL .
I think something would happen to Peyton, most likely a hefty fine, a pat on the rear by Goodell with a stern warning. Some will argue race is not a factor, race is a factor in everything and that's just the way it is.

Exactly , if Vick was nt involved the Feds would not give a $h1T about dog fighting but it s Vick and he is black ( I wonder what would happen if it was Peyton Manning was involved , probably nothing ) . Dog fighting is nothing compare to what those guys did and they are still playing in the NFL .
Do you honestly believe what you just said?

Absolutely. Vick is accused of being in violation of federal law. What is relevant about him being black?

As a Falcons fan, I would love to see this. I have been done with Vick even before all of the Dog bullsh/t

Exactly , if Vick was nt involved the Feds would not give a $h1T about dog fighting but it s Vick and he is black ( I wonder what would happen if it was Peyton Manning was involved , probably nothing ) .

Dog fighting is nothing compare to what those guys did and they are still playing in the NFL .

Moronic statement. The fact that Vick is black has NOTHING to do with it. The fact that he is a starting QB in the NFL has everything to do with it. If it were some lineman from the Seahawks it wouldn't get the media it does. Besides that pick a player who 's character you can call into question. Manning is a model citizen & isn't even in the same category as Vick.

Moronic statement. The fact that Vick is black has NOTHING to do with it. The fact that he is a starting QB in the NFL has everything to do with it. If it were some lineman from the Seahawks it wouldn't get the media it does. Besides that pick a player who 's character you can call into question. Manning is a model citizen & isn't even in the same category as Vick.
Exactly. Has nothing to do with race. The likelihood that Manning would ever get himself involved in this crap is about as likely as it would be for Curtis Martin, Marvin Harrison or Torry Holt. In other words, highly unlikely. Again, it has nothing to do with race and everything to do with character.

Exactly. Has nothing to do with race. The likelihood that Manning would ever get himself involved in this crap is about as likely as it would be for Curtis Martin, Marvin Harrison or Torry Holt. In other words, highly unlikely. Again, it has nothing to do with race and everything to do with character.
Race plays a role in everything. Calling the above a moronic statement is ironic.

Race plays a role in everything. Calling the above a moronic statement is ironic.
Yes, it's all part of the Master Race Master Plan to take down a prominent black athlete who makes oodles and oodles of money for his white employers at the team and league levels. And who will cost those said white employers oodles of money to deal with the situation.

You keep throwing this out there without saying anything substantive to back it up. The fact that Vick is black is about as relevant as what I had for breakfast this morning when it comes to the fact that he has been indicted on federal charges. Real instances of racism are very much out there. It would be a much more intelligible discussion if people could distinguish between the two.

You keep throwing this out there without saying anything substantive to back it up. The fact that Vick is black is about as relevant as what I had for breakfast this morning when it comes to the fact that he has been indicted on federal charges. Real instances of racism are very much out there. It would be a much more intelligible discussion if people could distinguish between the two.
The yahoo sports writer will make my point for me. You are saying race has nothing to do with this at all, here you go. Here is something substantive to back it up for you. When you read this article I don't think you can come back and say race is as relevant in the Vick case as what you at for breakfast this morning, I'm sure you'll attempt though.Racial divide by Dan Wetzel, yahoo sports.

RICHMOND, Va. – The crowded, chaotic sidewalk on Main Street, across from the federal courthouse, was an unlikely location for a lesson on the virtues of the fifth amendment.

But standing behind a throng that wanted a pound of Michael Vick's flesh – people that had just screamed for the Atlanta Falcons quarterback to "burn in hell" and held signs advocating his murder, torture and neutering – was Thomas Smith in work boots and a white t-shirt.

High above his head he held a simple sign with just a single word: "Constitution."

"These folks have convicted a man who hasn't even had a chance to defend himself," said Smith. "They just forget everything about America."

But here was America in full force, full vision, mixing it up while Vick pled not guilty to federal charges pertaining to an alleged dog-fighting ring on property he owned in rural Surry County. And front and center, impossible to ignore, was race.

Like Smith, almost all of the people supporting Vick or holding signs pleading for "due process" and "innocence until proven guilty" were African American.

On the other side was an emotional, angry, passionate anti-Vick group that was overwhelmingly white.

Certainly not every animal rights supporter was screaming for Vick to die. Many were just there to support the cause of caring for animals, ending the barbaric practice of dog fighting and using the massive media presence to benefit good.

But a significant number were focused on Vick. When he emerged from a black SUV and made a slow walk up a ramp and into the courthouse, they pushed toward police barriers and let loose.

"Burn in hell you (expletive) (expletive)," repeatedly screamed one woman.

"Die like those dogs," shouted another.

Not long after Vick got inside the courthouse – and in a scene that was repeated when he left less than two hours later – the two sides clashed in shouted voices and dueling signs.

White people screaming for justice; black people asking if they still remember everything justice entails.

That a case involving dog fighting can break so quickly along racial lines is a testament to how it bubbles below just about everything in this country. We all wish it wasn't so, including both sides here. No one wanted this. Almost no one even wanted to acknowledge it. But it was there, plain as day in black and white.

"I wouldn't say it's a racial thing," said David Williams, an African American, in a hopeful tone. "It's not racial. But for these animal rights people to take one person and crucify him isn't fair."

The thing is, the "animal rights people" here were an estimated 90 percent white. The pro-Vick/due process crowd was probably 95 percent black.

Obviously, both animal rights advocates and due process proponents come in all colors. And certainly a circus show like this, revved up by a massive media presence, isn't representative of America.

But, then again, I also know what I saw and what I heard.

"They are not going to give the man a chance?" Williams said. "You're innocent until proven guilty. He hasn't even had a trial yet."

There should be two undeniable, 100 percent agreed upon truths concerning this case: First, dog fighting is a barbaric felony and whoever participated in it on Vick's property should get hammered by the justice system.

Second, Vick deserves the right to defend against the charges. The indictment cites four "cooperating witnesses," but presuming each is a dog fighter himself, potentially facing prosecution unless they rolled on Vick, who and how reliable are they?

That said, the U.S. Attorney's office is known for its detail and diligence – this isn't some hack county prosecutor like the Duke lacrosse case. They rarely lose, so the challenge for Vick is serious and significant. But he has the right to fight.

"This is going to be a hard-fought trial," agreed Billy Martin, Vick's attorney.

It may not be any less intense than the scene out on Main Street, where two sides, clearly divided and easily identifiable, both anchored in righteous beliefs and moral causes went at it.

Two black women held a sign declaring: "I support Mike Vick due process." That caused vocal jeering from the protesters, which in turn caused the women to taunt them back by waving the sign at them. Later two men had to be separated by security as their debate descended toward physical confrontation, all as a crowd surrounded shouting in all directions.

And on and on it went on this hot Southern sidewalk.

You're right Cobalt, THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH RACE.

Keith Lewis is the only person in the USA who thinks race plays a role in everything.

Keith Lewis is the only person in the USA who thinks race plays a role in everything.
What your article demonstrates is that you, among other people are creating a racial issue out of the indictment. That's obvious. But, skin color has nothing to do with the fact that Vick was actually indicted. You clearly can't see beyond race, so by all means cling to this crutch of yours. The rest of us who can look beyond race and just judge the behaviors of people will have to just wade through this sort of tripe.

Chris Mortensen on Jim Rome this morning: indicates that Blank has discussed releasing Vick and thinks Michael Vick has played his last game as a Falcon.
lmao - hold your breath. If covering up murders didn't stop R Lewis, how does this stop Vick from playing again? Dreamer.
:( I am a dog owner and dog lover, but I don't get the huge uproar with Vick's situation compared to Ray Lewis murder or all the wife beaters in the league. Jamal Lewis is a convicted coke dealer, but still is in the league and only got a 4 game suspension. Leonard Little killed someone while driving drunk and he is still in the league. Kobe Bryant is a rapist, even if he wasn't convicted. Mike Tyson is a convicted rapist and he still went on to make millions in his fights. As a society do we value a dog's life more than human life? I get how horrible of a crime Vick is accused of, but I think it pales in comparison to some other crimes committed by professional athletes.
:thumbup: Exactly , if Vick was nt involved the Feds would not give a $h1T about dog fighting but it s Vick and he is black ( I wonder what would happen if it was Peyton Manning was involved , probably nothing ) .

Really? Ask the Duke lacross players about that. Race? You gotta love it when someone pulls the race card in the face of what appears to be overwhelming evidence. You do realize his friend is going to roll on him don't you? Maybe that's the race you were speaking of. :thumbup:

What your article demonstrates is that you, among other people are creating a racial issue out of the indictment. That's obvious. But, skin color has nothing to do with the fact that Vick was actually indicted. You clearly can't see beyond race, so by all means cling to this crutch of yours. The rest of us who can look beyond race and just judge the behaviors of people will have to just wade through this sort of tripe.
Hey, the article was posted on yahoo because it is as relevant as what you had for breakfast. You are wrong. Race is clearly more involved in the Mike Vick situation than what type of cereal you ate this morning. When there is an article on the front page of yahoo sports or espn about what Cobalt27 had for breakfast then you win, until then you lose.

The yahoo sports writer will make my point for me. You are saying race has nothing to do with this at all, here you go. Here is something substantive to back it up for you. When you read this article I don't think you can come back and say race is as relevant in the Vick case as what you at for breakfast this morning, I'm sure you'll attempt though.Racial divide by Dan Wetzel, yahoo sports.

RICHMOND, Va. – The crowded, chaotic sidewalk on Main Street, across from the federal courthouse, was an unlikely location for a lesson on the virtues of the fifth amendment.

But standing behind a throng that wanted a pound of Michael Vick's flesh – people that had just screamed for the Atlanta Falcons quarterback to "burn in hell" and held signs advocating his murder, torture and neutering – was Thomas Smith in work boots and a white t-shirt.

High above his head he held a simple sign with just a single word: "Constitution."

"These folks have convicted a man who hasn't even had a chance to defend himself," said Smith. "They just forget everything about America."

But here was America in full force, full vision, mixing it up while Vick pled not guilty to federal charges pertaining to an alleged dog-fighting ring on property he owned in rural Surry County. And front and center, impossible to ignore, was race.

Like Smith, almost all of the people supporting Vick or holding signs pleading for "due process" and "innocence until proven guilty" were African American.

On the other side was an emotional, angry, passionate anti-Vick group that was overwhelmingly white.

Certainly not every animal rights supporter was screaming for Vick to die. Many were just there to support the cause of caring for animals, ending the barbaric practice of dog fighting and using the massive media presence to benefit good.

But a significant number were focused on Vick. When he emerged from a black SUV and made a slow walk up a ramp and into the courthouse, they pushed toward police barriers and let loose.

"Burn in hell you (expletive) (expletive)," repeatedly screamed one woman.

"Die like those dogs," shouted another.

Not long after Vick got inside the courthouse – and in a scene that was repeated when he left less than two hours later – the two sides clashed in shouted voices and dueling signs.

White people screaming for justice; black people asking if they still remember everything justice entails.

That a case involving dog fighting can break so quickly along racial lines is a testament to how it bubbles below just about everything in this country. We all wish it wasn't so, including both sides here. No one wanted this. Almost no one even wanted to acknowledge it. But it was there, plain as day in black and white.

"I wouldn't say it's a racial thing," said David Williams, an African American, in a hopeful tone. "It's not racial. But for these animal rights people to take one person and crucify him isn't fair."

The thing is, the "animal rights people" here were an estimated 90 percent white. The pro-Vick/due process crowd was probably 95 percent black.

Obviously, both animal rights advocates and due process proponents come in all colors. And certainly a circus show like this, revved up by a massive media presence, isn't representative of America.

But, then again, I also know what I saw and what I heard.

"They are not going to give the man a chance?" Williams said. "You're innocent until proven guilty. He hasn't even had a trial yet."

There should be two undeniable, 100 percent agreed upon truths concerning this case: First, dog fighting is a barbaric felony and whoever participated in it on Vick's property should get hammered by the justice system.

Second, Vick deserves the right to defend against the charges. The indictment cites four "cooperating witnesses," but presuming each is a dog fighter himself, potentially facing prosecution unless they rolled on Vick, who and how reliable are they?

That said, the U.S. Attorney's office is known for its detail and diligence – this isn't some hack county prosecutor like the Duke lacrosse case. They rarely lose, so the challenge for Vick is serious and significant. But he has the right to fight.

"This is going to be a hard-fought trial," agreed Billy Martin, Vick's attorney.

It may not be any less intense than the scene out on Main Street, where two sides, clearly divided and easily identifiable, both anchored in righteous beliefs and moral causes went at it.

Two black women held a sign declaring: "I support Mike Vick due process." That caused vocal jeering from the protesters, which in turn caused the women to taunt them back by waving the sign at them. Later two men had to be separated by security as their debate descended toward physical confrontation, all as a crowd surrounded shouting in all directions.

And on and on it went on this hot Southern sidewalk.

You're right Cobalt, THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH RACE.

What this writer has chosen to do is to allow a few fantics out there (both black and white) color this process a shade of race that is only prevelent in a few extreme examples. Mainstream America for the most part can see right through this slanted view. And isn't it ironic that the very racial tones that he's stirring up is doing the job he's speaking out against. He's the racial overtone that he's referring to. You would think he'd be above the very criticism he's suggesting exists.

Hey, the article was posted on yahoo because it is as relevant as what you had for breakfast. You are wrong. Race is clearly more involved in the Mike Vick situation than what type of cereal you ate this morning. When there is an article on the front page of yahoo sports or espn about what Cobalt27 had for breakfast then you win, until then you lose.
You've been owned so large on these Vick's threads now you're nitpicking. Unbelievable, and you're still on the attack. Congratulations, you have proven one point completely irrelevant to Vick's legal case. You should just stop posting since all you do is bluster around and cause ruckuses and end up being owned in the end. You owned yourself on this one by showing what a petty blowhard you are. Just stop.

Perhaps this type of hack, Al Sharpton-like rhetoric might play on Air America, but it doesn't in rational individuals.

The concept of 'innocent until proven guilty' is certainly applicable in the courtroom in the United States and will be extended to Michael Vick. But the accusation that the Federal government is singling out Vick and his associates because they're black is utterly simple-minded and childish.

BTW, there's no need to respond - I won't be responding to this (hopefully closed soon) thread again.

Race will always be a factor in cases like this. The US justice department is known for having a racial bias against blacks, imprisoning them at a rate 5.6 times higher than that of whites. So while a guy like Peyton Manning might get a fine and a slap on the wrist, Vick would be more likely to see jail time. This isnt looking good for Vick.

:lmao: I am a dog owner and dog lover, but I don't get the huge uproar with Vick's situation compared to Ray Lewis murder or all the wife beaters in the league. Jamal Lewis is a convicted coke dealer, but still is in the league and only got a 4 game suspension. Leonard Little killed someone while driving drunk and he is still in the league. Kobe Bryant is a rapist, even if he wasn't convicted. Mike Tyson is a convicted rapist and he still went on to make millions in his fights. As a society do we value a dog's life more than human life? I get how horrible of a crime Vick is accused of, but I think it pales in comparison to some other crimes committed by professional athletes.
:goodposting: Exactly , if Vick was nt involved the Feds would not give a $h1T about dog fighting but it s Vick and he is black ( I wonder what would happen if it was Peyton Manning was involved , probably nothing ) .

Yeah those white guys (Ray Lewis, Jamal Lewis, Leonard Little, Kobe Bryant, and Mike Tyson) get away with everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Race will always be a factor in cases like this. The US justice department is known for having a racial bias against blacks, imprisoning them at a rate 5.6 times higher than that of whites. So while a guy like Peyton Manning might get a fine and a slap on the wrist, Vick would be more likely to see jail time. This isnt looking good for Vick.
So you're saying that regardless of why there are more convictions with blacks than whites, that it's because of racial bias? I know it's a bad idea to get into one of these arguments because there is no good answer but is it possible that those statistics are simply based on the fact that more blacks are committing crimes? I have not heard of any evidence to suggest anything else. Outside of people implying this is what's happening that is. So unless you have something to support such allegations, can you be sure to let everyone know this is just your opinion and not present it as some fact? Otherwise you appear to be doing nothing more but :lmao:

The case/indictment against MV is very different than the situation surrounding MV. There are apologists everywhere like yourself who don't want thugs doing anything except scoring you fantasy points or propping up whatever group it's thought they represent. And, the media just love people who can't think outside of their room temperature IQ, and they highlight the most absurd of calls to racism. But, what you've done--and what the media does all the time--is diminish the legitimate racial issues that are out there by blathering on about cases that have no racial relevance. I'll give it to you...this situation is certainly going to have some racial garbage thrown around...but, the actual indictment has nothing to do with race. Vick is accused of violating a federal law that applies to black and white.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't see a justifiable reason why the Falcons would not take this chance to get out of Vick's contract. Vick has failed to be the player he has been paid to be but at least he brought excitement and fans to the stadium and now he's lost that so he's simply overpaid. I hope his career is not done however. I think he's one of the more exciting players to watch in the game but if he's convicted the only team that I think would take a chance on him is the Raiders.
Wow, that's one of the more plausible thoughts on Mike Vicks' football future I've heard.He's just my starting QB in my longstanding Dynasty League.....sigh.

I can't see a justifiable reason why the Falcons would not take this chance to get out of Vick's contract. Vick has failed to be the player he has been paid to be but at least he brought excitement and fans to the stadium and now he's lost that so he's simply overpaid. I hope his career is not done however. I think he's one of the more exciting players to watch in the game but if he's convicted the only team that I think would take a chance on him is the Raiders.
Then he is done as da Raiders are about to give kings ransom to the #1 overall pick QB J. Russell

Uggggghhhh - :rolleyes: The old canard of "because he's black" is as dead as disco.
Jimmy the Greek feels that because of his ancestors being bread for strength it gives him and advantage in running an illegal dog fighting ring.Rush thinks that he really wasn't that good at raising Champion caliber pit bulls and would not be regarded so highly in the industry if he was white.

The local news this morning was reporting that one of Vick's co-defendents was going back to court in Richmond to change his plea, possibly in exchange for evidence/information, etc. Not good news for Vick

Ni

uh-oh, not looking good....

Vick co-defendant pleads to conspiracy

By Gary Mihoces, USA TODAY

RICHMOND, Va. — One of Michael Vick's co-defendants changed his plea to guilty Monday in a federal case involving an alleged dogfighting ring and agreed in open court to cooperate with prosecutors.

Tony "T" Taylor, 34, of Hampton, Va., who pleaded not guilty last week, entered his guilty plea before U.S. District Judge Henry E. Hudson.

Vick, the quarterback of the Atlanta Falcons, and two other defendants, await a Nov. 26 trial after entering not guilty pleas to the one- count indictment stemming from alleged activities at "Bad Newz Kennels," an enterprise that the government contends was operated on property owned by Vick in Smithfield, Va.

"You agree to cooperate fully with the United States, is that correct?" the judge asked Taylor.

"Yes," Taylor answered.

Among the allegations in that summary: "The 'Bad Newz Kennels operation and gambling monies were almost exclusively funded by Vick."

The indictment carries a maximum sentence of five years in prison and a $250,000 fine. The judge scheduled Taylor's sentencing for Dec. 14, pending a pre-sentence report.

"Is there anything anybody promised you," the judge asked Taylor.

"No," he responded.

The judge also asked, "No one has promised you a special sentence in return for making your plea, is that right?"

Taylor agreed that was correct.

The court-filed agreement said, "This plea agreement is conditioned upon the defendant providing full, complete and truthful cooperation."

However, it also noted that, "The parties agree that the United States reserves the right to seek any departure from the applicable sentencing guidelines … if, in its sole discretion, the United States determines that such a departure or reduction of sentence is appropriate."

Awaiting trial with Vick are Purnell Peace, 35, of Virginia Beach, and Quanis Phillips, 28, of Atlanta.

In the summary of facts accompanying the agreement, Taylor agreed that gambling on the dogfights sometimes involved thousands of dollars, with purses and side bets.

Taylor agreed that he "identified" the property in Smithfield, which the government says was later purchased by Vick as "the main staging area for housing and training the pit bulls … and hosting dog fights."

Taylor also acknowledged that "in or about the summer of 2002 (he) executed at least two dogs that did not perform well in 'testing' sessions … by shooting one dog and electrocuting the other."

The summary said Taylor left the operated in September of 2004 "following a disagreement with Phillips and the others." The court document did not specify the nature of the disagreement.

Clad in tan slacks and a yellow sport shirt, Taylor was accompanied at the hearing by his attorney, Stephen Hudgins. The proceeding lasted about 15 minutes. Taylor and his attorney declined comment afterward.

Unlike last week's arraignment, which drew hundreds of spectators outside and filled the 100-seat court room to overflow, Monday's plea agreement in a smaller court room was attended by about two dozen media and spectators. Four people outside carried People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) posters decrying dogfighting.

:goodposting: Exactly , if Vick was nt involved the Feds would not give a $h1T about dog fighting but it s Vick and he is black ( I wonder what would happen if it was Peyton Manning was involved , probably nothing ) . Dog fighting is nothing compare to what those guys did and they are still playing in the NFL .
What a ludicrous racial statement. Vick being black has nothing to do with this. Vick being celebrity does have something to do with this. Vick breaking the law has everything to do with this. There was similar outrage at all of these other guys. Some were exhonerated and some did their time. Peyton Manning is not stupid enough to have a posse. If he were, he would be in the same boat! Whether or not dog fighting is as bad as these other crimes is a matter of what the law says. Agree with the law or not - it is what it is and Vick should have known the extent of the law before he chose to break it. Don't scream about the injustice of laws AFTER you get caught!

This plea deal looks a little like a set up by the feds. If "T" left Bad Newz 3 years ago they could've added him in and used whatever split him from the group to get him to roll on Vick.

Does anyone know the detailed breakdown of his contract? I thought the Falcons were looking at a cap hit upwards of a $22 million by releasing him this year?
I don't know the exact figures but I heard they would take a $6 million hit this year and $15 million next year.
What I heard yesterday on ESPN (I think it was Clayton) was that there would be no hit this year, and a $7.5 mil hit next year. According to him, the Falcons considered this trivial and it wouldn't even factor into their decision.
Both are essentially correct: > Vick is scheduled to be paid $6m in salary this year, so the Falcons would save the $6m in salary but get assessed $6m in bonus acceleration for a nominal net impact> Vick is scheduled to be paid $7½m in salary next year, so the Falcons would save the $7½m in salary but get assessed $15m in bonus acceleration for a $7½m net cap hit

Does anyone know the detailed breakdown of his contract? I thought the Falcons were looking at a cap hit upwards of a $22 million by releasing him this year?
I don't know the exact figures but I heard they would take a $6 million hit this year and $15 million next year.
What I heard yesterday on ESPN (I think it was Clayton) was that there would be no hit this year, and a $7.5 mil hit next year. According to him, the Falcons considered this trivial and it wouldn't even factor into their decision.
Both are essentially correct: > Vick is scheduled to be paid $6m in salary this year, so the Falcons would save the $6m in salary but get assessed $6m in bonus acceleration for a nominal net impact> Vick is scheduled to be paid $7½m in salary next year, so the Falcons would save the $7½m in salary but get assessed $15m in bonus acceleration for a $7½m net cap hit
So in essence it will only cost them $7.5M more than the salary he would be due. That's still rough but not as bad as it first seemed.

uh-oh, not looking good....

Vick co-defendant pleads to conspiracy

By Gary Mihoces, USA TODAY

RICHMOND, Va. — One of Michael Vick's co-defendants changed his plea to guilty Monday in a federal case involving an alleged dogfighting ring and agreed in open court to cooperate with prosecutors.

Tony "T" Taylor, 34, of Hampton, Va., who pleaded not guilty last week, entered his guilty plea before U.S. District Judge Henry E. Hudson.

Vick, the quarterback of the Atlanta Falcons, and two other defendants, await a Nov. 26 trial after entering not guilty pleas to the one- count indictment stemming from alleged activities at "Bad Newz Kennels," an enterprise that the government contends was operated on property owned by Vick in Smithfield, Va.

"You agree to cooperate fully with the United States, is that correct?" the judge asked Taylor.

"Yes," Taylor answered.

Among the allegations in that summary: "The 'Bad Newz Kennels operation and gambling monies were almost exclusively funded by Vick."

The indictment carries a maximum sentence of five years in prison and a $250,000 fine. The judge scheduled Taylor's sentencing for Dec. 14, pending a pre-sentence report.

"Is there anything anybody promised you," the judge asked Taylor.

"No," he responded.

The judge also asked, "No one has promised you a special sentence in return for making your plea, is that right?"

Taylor agreed that was correct.

The court-filed agreement said, "This plea agreement is conditioned upon the defendant providing full, complete and truthful cooperation."

However, it also noted that, "The parties agree that the United States reserves the right to seek any departure from the applicable sentencing guidelines … if, in its sole discretion, the United States determines that such a departure or reduction of sentence is appropriate."

Awaiting trial with Vick are Purnell Peace, 35, of Virginia Beach, and Quanis Phillips, 28, of Atlanta.

In the summary of facts accompanying the agreement, Taylor agreed that gambling on the dogfights sometimes involved thousands of dollars, with purses and side bets.

Taylor agreed that he "identified" the property in Smithfield, which the government says was later purchased by Vick as "the main staging area for housing and training the pit bulls … and hosting dog fights."

Taylor also acknowledged that "in or about the summer of 2002 (he) executed at least two dogs that did not perform well in 'testing' sessions … by shooting one dog and electrocuting the other."

The summary said Taylor left the operated in September of 2004 "following a disagreement with Phillips and the others." The court document did not specify the nature of the disagreement.

Clad in tan slacks and a yellow sport shirt, Taylor was accompanied at the hearing by his attorney, Stephen Hudgins. The proceeding lasted about 15 minutes. Taylor and his attorney declined comment afterward.

Unlike last week's arraignment, which drew hundreds of spectators outside and filled the 100-seat court room to overflow, Monday's plea agreement in a smaller court room was attended by about two dozen media and spectators. Four people outside carried People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) posters decrying dogfighting.
Co-defendant says Vick bankrolled dogfighting ringBy LARRY O'DELL, Associated Press Writer

July 30, 2007

Tony Taylor, of Hampton, Va., walks through a crowd of media outside U.S. District Court, in Richmond, Va., Monday, July 30, 2007, after a plea agreement hearing. Taylor, 34, a co-defendent of Atlanta Falcon Quarterback Michael Vick, pleaded guilty Monday to federal dogfighting conspiracy charges. Vick and two other co-defendants pleaded not guilty last week to the same charges.

AP - Jul 30, 11:36 am EDT

More Photos

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) -- One of Michael Vick's co-defendants pleaded guilty Monday to his role in a dogfighting conspiracy he says was financed almost entirely by the Atlanta Falcons quarterback.

As part of a plea agreement, Tony Taylor pledged to fully cooperate with the government in its prosecution of Vick and two other men accused of running an interstate dogfighting enterprise known as "Bad Newz Kennels" on Vick's property in rural Surry County.

"The 'Bad Newz Kennels' operation and gambling monies were almost exclusively funded by Vick," a summary of facts supporting the plea agreement and signed by Taylor states.

The plea deal requires Taylor to testify against Vick and his two remaining co-defendants if called upon to do so. Taylor cannot get a stiffer sentence or face any new charges based on any new information he provides, according to terms of the agreement.

Additional charges are possible, however, against Vick and the other two. Federal prosecutors have said a superseding indictment will be issued in August.

Users who are viewing this thread