What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Most Favorite/Most Hated Announcer (1 Viewer)

I really like Johnny Miller in golf. Not afraid to say the truth, sometimes too honest. But he gets the game.

The lack of love for Jim Ross in this thread is appalling. :hophead:

I'm really starting to like Gus Johnson. He could make a turtle race seem exciting.

I want to punch Joe Theismann in the mouth.

I miss Harry Kalas.

No mention of Kornheiser yet? Ack. Just awful.

Joe Buck and Phil Sims right there with him.

And for the old farts, Jack Whitaker. Ye gods, he sucked.

I can't stand **** Enberg and Merlin Olsen. Also can't stand The Joe Buck / Troy Aikman team in the NFL, as well as Cris Collinsworth, and the Phil Simms / Jim Nantz team. All of them have the exact same problem. They are dead fish in the booth. They communicate absolutely no passion for the game they are covering. When they talk, it sounds like they are utterly bored with even being there.

The best broadcast team was ESPN Radio back in the 1990s with Howard David and Matt Millen. Howard David had such a passion for the game. His calls would give you chills. Millen was comedy relief and had fun. They actually sounded like they wanted to be there. Too bad Millen took the Lions GM job and kinda ruined his rep though.

Hate Mike Patrick so much that I'll turn off a game that he's working. Don't care for Phil Simms too much. And while I don't hate him and I think he's solid, Mike Tirico just sort of bores me. I guess I'd consider him at the upper end of average.

Bob Cole as mentioned earlier is wonderful. Martin Tyler for soccer has a very soothing voice. Al Michaels really is the gold standard IMO.

Hate Mike Patrick so much that I'll turn off a game that he's working. Don't care for Phil Simms too much. And while I don't hate him and I think he's solid, Mike Tirico just sort of bores me. I guess I'd consider him at the upper end of average.Bob Cole as mentioned earlier is wonderful. Martin Tyler for soccer has a very soothing voice. Al Michaels really is the gold standard IMO.
Al Michaels seems to magically straddle this line between communicating genuine enthusiasm and being an ambassador for sports.

Mike Patrick was great at communicaitng passion as well. Forgot about him. Definitely one of my favorites.

Hate Mike Patrick so much that I'll turn off a game that he's working. Don't care for Phil Simms too much. And while I don't hate him and I think he's solid, Mike Tirico just sort of bores me. I guess I'd consider him at the upper end of average.Bob Cole as mentioned earlier is wonderful. Martin Tyler for soccer has a very soothing voice. Al Michaels really is the gold standard IMO.
Al Michaels seems to magically straddle this line between communicating genuine enthusiasm and being an ambassador for sports.
I love his gambling innuendo that he oh so subtly drops from time to time as well.

Gonna through a real wildcard out there (and a little of topic I guess). I love the PA announcer for the Portland Seadogs (AA Red Sox affiliate) in Portland, ME. He has a way about him that just makes the game more relaxing and enjoyable.

Least favorite is a tie between Chris Collinsworth and Dan Dierdorf. Both of them are just incredibly pretentious. Collinswoth's good ol' boy drawl makes him sound more stupid than he is, but Dierdorf is unbearable when he begins to actively root for one team.

The only reason Sterling and Waldman aren't running away with this for worst ever is that people never had to listen to them call an entire game. But that's prohibited as cruel and unusual torture under the Geneva convention.

Favorite: Jim Fox (Emric is a very, very suitable replacement for the SC Finals, but I miss Milker and Fox calling these last 2 games). As for football, I dunno that I have a favorite, it's a matter of getting someone that sucks the least. Eta: Al Muchaels is good.

Least: Paul Maguire, Dan Dierdork. Theisman is bad but he's almost tolerable away from Maguire.

Note: I don't watch base or basketball so there are some legends I'm not exposed to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Favorite: Golf commentator David Feherty. I wish he could provide a live voice over to my life. Honorable mention **** Enberg back in his prime.

Least favorites: Dennis Miller, Joe Theisman, Howard Cosell, Gus Johnson (football not basketball)

CBS has most of the best golf announcers. Don't know if anyone mentioned McCord yet but he's good for at least one lol per telecast. If they could swap Faldo for Miller it would be even better.

Favorite: Mike Lange. Pens play by play radio guy.

Worst: Solomon Wilcox. I'm not even sure if he still announces anymore but blatantly mispronouncing names is unforgivable.

Mel Allen ;)

####### T.W.I.B. was the greatest show when I was a kid

Favorite: Gene Hart, Harry Kalas, Emerick :homer:

Worst: Dierdorf, Buck

Favorites current and past: Gus Johnson, **** Stockton, Skip Caray, used to love the old baseball games of the week with Tony Kubek and Joe Garagiola

As far as dislikes I never liked Brent Musberger, Dave Rowe (did the JP SEC Game of the Week for a few years) and hated Olbermann when he was doing SportsCenter.

Vin Scully is a poet describing baseball games. Have you ever heard of anyone else announcing a game by themselves? ESPN needs 3 guys in a booth to make it interesting.

Jack Buck was my favorite growing up. He taught me a lot about baseball and announced some of my favorite baseball moments growing up.

Marty Brennaman is a ####. His son Tom is not far behind.

Some announcers make it feel like a big game (Jim Nance) and others make it feel like you are watching high school (Mike Patrick).

Favorite is probably Vin Scully or Cosell.

Least favorites are Theismann and Musburger.

Bill Rafferty is overrated, IMO. Don't get the love.

I looked Johnny Most up on wikipedia so i get his cause of death to incorporate it into a joke, however I noticed in his bio that he was a gunner on 28 missions in World War II. Therefore, I will only post the following:

The bits and pieces of what i've heard from Johnny Most's broadcasts would slot him at #1 in my list of most hated broadcasters. Hawk Harrelson, Dicky V, and Berman would be in there as well. Also, while i dont listen to much hockey on the radio probably because Red wings color man Paul Woods is absolutely unlistenable. His um vocal um pauses between um almost every uh word is really tough to take.

I don't know if this is national only. It seems like my favorite announcers have always been local.

Hap Glaudi, Buddy Dilliberto, these guys had Gentilly accents, part Brooklyn, part Southern, real NuhAwlins. I miss those guys.

Unfortunately the national broadcasters are typically on the bland side. Harry Caray, Vin Scully, these guys were cut from old cloth, learning the art of announcing from old guys on the radio like Harry Prince whose roots went to the beginning of radio.

One other thing: there seems to be a real dearth of real journalists. There are so many jocks and color guys that there hardly seems to be any real reporting from the booth anymore, no story telling, hardly anyone who can put together a whole sentence.

I love Gene Deckerhoff for football. If you've never heard him before he called the FSU games and currently does the Tampa Bay Bucs games. Guy is legendary, has a great announcing voice and is great play-by-play. Check him out on youtube.

Doc Emerick is by far the best hockey announcer. Even when he calls other sports he blows everyone else out of the water

The worst is Joe Buck. I dont listen to the games he calls. Ever.

Favorite: Jim Barnett GS Warriors. A huge fan base complained when mgmt tried to force him out because of his age (70) and he wasn't a homer,

Worst :Musburger and it's not close.

Bob Murphy was the voice of summer for me. Loved riding in the car with the windows down listening to Murph call a game.

Other likes? Ron Darling on SNY. Bill Raftery. Al Maguire.

Dislikes? John Sterling....then a huge gap to the rest of the dislikes.

Scully and Enberg at the top. I like Gruden as well. Didn't like him as a coach but I do as an announcer.

As far as the dislikes, I'm bucking the trend here but I did not like Keith Jackson. Musburger is on the bottom.

Like: Feherty, Doug Collins

Don't like: Gary McCord, Phil Simms

Mostly am indifferent to announcers as I can generally figure out what I'm watching on my own.

Not that they're top of my list of great broadcasters or anything, but I think the Joe Namath/O.J. Simpson/Gifford MNF booth was the second most entertaining behind Meredith/Cosell/Gifford. Note I'm saying entertaining, not necessarily informative.

Users who are viewing this thread