What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Moving to Austin, Texas! (2 Viewers)

Franklins BBQ is there and is fantastic. With order ahead online it is a breeze in and out.

Was in Austin last year and my buddies insisted we go to Interstellar and not Franklin's. Was very good - I enjoyed the free Lone Star while we waited, but I'd sure like the Franklin experience one day to compare/contrast.

We (4 of us) ordered about $175 worth of food. While I enjoyed everything, the one item that was gobbled up first surprised me - it was this smoked pepper turkey that just tasted like heaven. All four of us reached for the last piece at the same time. :lmao:
I like interstellar better, but lordy it's expensive

YES! I volunteered to pay for lunch since my buddy hosted me for a few days and the other guys took care of dinner the night prior. I felt like Chevy Chase in Vacation when Cousin Eddie asked him for $55,000 dollars and he put his wallet back in his pocket. To be fair, we DID order a TON of stuff, but the sticker shock when they rang it up all up floored me.

At the VERY end of ringing it all up, my buddy threw a packaged brownie on top and said "here, this too". I was pissed. He didn't eat it during the meal, so I took it with us everywhere we went and kept forcing it on him.
Yeah, that's what has turned me off to bbq joints. Back in the day it was basically peasant food heavy on the regional influence and something anyone could afford.
It's still very good, but I'm as enthusiastic about it as I would be for a $50 pizza or a $35 chicken dinner.

When I lived there I really just preferred Rudy's. Their turkey is/was totally underrated and the brisket and sausage were great too. Plus, what's not to like about thrown a loaf of Wonder bread to bring to your pic-a-nic table to eat the meat with?

I may get slammed for this but I never went to Franklins, not once. Salt Lick? Sure, a few times because it's an "experience". But I felt the food was just as good at Rudy's but for half the price.
Love Rudy's!

@Phil Elliott @cosjobs @bentley

looks like electrical storms predicted for much of next week, I’m going to assume that these storms usually move some what quickly and there will be hours of no lightning in the area?
The average duration of a lightning strike is 30 microseconds, so you can count on significant non-lightning periods.
Watch the radar. Generally lightning occurs opposing atmosphere conditions collide. You can track that on radar and the predictions nowadays are pretty accurate. But I would definitely err to the side of caution by at least an hour.

looks like electrical storms predicted for much of next week, I’m going to assume that these storms usually move some what quickly and there will be hours of no lightning in the area?
I remember drinking in a bar in Brisbane one afternoon when a thunderstorm rolled in. Everyone in the bar went outside to stare at the sky. Evidently they're fairly rare in your neck of the woods.

I wouldn't worry about lightening as long as your not in open water or the tallest thing around. Buildings and trees will get hit before a person.

Don't forget your allergy medicine, everything is blooming right now.

Last edited:

I wouldn't worry about lightening as long as your not in open water or the tallest thing around. Buildings and trees will get hit before a person.

Don't forget your allergy medicine, everything is blooming right now.
I should have been more detailed earlier but was a little hung over :bag: my sons college team has their lacrosse championships next week in round rock so my concern is more game related and getting all their games in with that forecast.

my concern is more game related and getting all their games in with that forecast.
Priority one is getting everyone off the lacrosse field the first time anyone hears thunder. Sooner, if the radar indicates a line of storms that can't miss you. Having said that, I think you'll get the games in, as the chances of SHTF are only 20-30% each day.

Last edited:
Austin Dudes…need a good beer patio recco. If they have a wine option that would be ideal.

Looking close to downtown. Saw Zilker and a few others over east of 35.

Any outdoor big place with cool vibe would be good near downtown.

Austin Dudes…need a good beer patio recco. If they have a wine option that would be ideal.

My buddy took me to Black Sheep Lodge when I was down there a few weeks ago. Kinda grimy / divey but I liked it

The food is unspectacular but you can't beat the view.

The food is unspectacular but you can't beat the view.

This place is sweet but looking bikeable from downtown.

First three are "roof top" bars but in downtown:
1. "Edge" one of the largest, limited beer/wine.

2. "Azul" limited beer/wine

3. "Hotel Van Zandt" on Rainey Street. Little more selection of beer/wine but a little smaller area.

4. "Ski Shores" is hidden gem. You can sit outside on Lake Austin but it's probably half way to the Oasis so it's Uber and not biking.

5. Outdoor dock patio on Lake Austin at "Hula Hut". About 3 miles from downtown so bikeable.
Beer but only a few token wine options.

6. "Bangers Sausage and Beer Garden - this might be your place. Large outdoor, lots of good beers on draft (maybe a token wine option). Usually have some entertainment. On Rainey Street.

7. If still looking...List of beer gardens in Austin

We are out at UT Golf Course out by the Oasis.

CMT awards and Capital 10k race this weekend too so downtown should be pretty busy.

Last edited:

3. "Hotel Van Zandt" on Rainey Street. Little more selection of beer/wine but a little smaller area.

4. "Ski Shores" is hidden gem. You can sit outside on Lake Austin but it's probably half way to the Oasis so it's Uber and not biking.

5. Outdoor dock patio on Lake Austin at "Hula Hut". About 3 miles from downtown so bikeable.

6. "Bangers Sausage and Beer Garden - this might be your place. Large outdoor, lots of good beers on draft (maybe a token wine option). Usually have some entertainment. On Rainey Street.

CMT awards and Capital 10k race this weekend too so downtown should be pretty busy.
Sweet TY

Yesterday walked around South Congress and is busy but not crazy. Hopefully this keeps up.

Users who are viewing this thread