What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My 2005 FFL season post mortem (1 Viewer)

BGP

Indians Fever
I thought I would share how my 2005 season went in my primary league. This is not a "who do I keep?" or anything else - I'm just sharing my experience.

It is a 3-player keeper league. That pretty much means all the stud RBs are taken. Lineups are

1 QB, 2 RBs, 2 WR/TEs, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 D

or

1 QB, 1 RB, 4 WRs/TEs, 1 K, 1 D

I pretty much have to sum up the last three years to establish what is going on. Two years ago my primary RB was Travis Henry. That went out the window when the Bills shocked everyone by taking McGahee. I had no shot at drafting McGahee. So I needed to pretty much start over. Last year I drafted the top 3 rookie RBs: Kevin Jones, Julius Jones, and Tatum Bell. I protected them all coming into this season, hoping for better things down the road.

My 2005 draft:

(we start with round 4 since I kept three)

4.02 TE Tony Gonzalez - I had always wanted to land this guy, and finally got an opportunity to select him. So I did. Unfortunately, he had his worst season since 1998. I was either taking Gonzalez or WR Reggie Wayne here. TE Antonio Gates would be taken at 4.05. Wayne went at 4.07.

5.02 WR Michael Clayton - I drafted him his rookie year and grab him again here. I really targeted him here - I had no-one else in mind with this pick.

6.02 QB Tom Brady - Again, I was targetting him here. QB Matt Hasselbeck would be taken at 6.04.

7.02 TE Jason Witten - At this point I felt I had filled any major needs and was now going with "best player available". I was surprised he fell this far, so even tho I had taken Gonzalez I selected him anyway.

8.02 WR Rod Smith - I always hold off on my WR2 because a WR that is high on my board falls to the late rounds. I was happy to grab him here. Best player avilable again.

9.02 WR Charles Rogers - Just buying low.

10.02 WR Donte Stallworth - Just buying low.

11.02 QB Steve McNair - Again, just buying low.

12.02 Vikings D

13.02 Cowboys D

14.02 WR Joey Galloway - I REALLY targetted him here. I've been high on him in the Shark Pool in several posts. He has proven to be productive when healthy, therefore you've got to get him and hope he stays healthy. It was difficult for me to hold off on him this long. But I got him.

15.02 K Matt Stover - I wound up grabbing Rackers off the waiver wire, who as the Cardinals' kicker scored the most fantasy points at his position.

16.02 RB Anthony Thomas

So how did things work out?

The good:

Brady - #2 league QB

Galloway - #7 league WR

Rod Smith - #16 league WR

Witten - #6 league TE

Gonzalez - #7 league TE

The bad:

Julius Jones - #21 league RB

Tatum Bell - #22 league RB

Jevin Jones - #33 league RB

Vikings - #9 league D

Cowboys - #22 league D

Players of note:

(rounds 1-3 supplemental pre-draft pick for those with less than 3 keepers)

LaMont Jordan: 2.01

Steven Jackson: 2.02

Deuce McAllister: 3.02

Fred Taylor: 3.03

Carnell Williams: 3.04

Cedric Benson: 3.05

J. J. Arrington: 3.06

Larry Johnson: 7.07

Moss: 7.10

Droughns: 8.01

Burress: 8.03

Brees: 8.05

Houshmenzadeh: 12.04

Summary: Overall, My 2005 draft went extremely well. I nailed two sleeper WRs and one QB. The problem is that its a keeper league. I have no shot at any established starting RBs because they are locked up. I just drafted three rookie RBs last year and now have to be patient with them. They didn't come through for me in 2005, but I'll probably look at protecting them again and hope things are better in 2006.

I finished 2005 with a 7-7 record.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking back, did you even consider L Johnson at 7.02? Don't understand taking a second TE behind Gonzo and leaving LJ on the board.

Looking back, did you even consider L Johnson at 7.02? Don't understand taking a second TE behind Gonzo and leaving LJ on the board.
I protected three running backs. Essentially, its like going RB-RB-RB in a regular draft. Taking another RB in the mid rounds really wasn't considered, particularly a guy like Larry Johnson who was the clear backup entering this season. I may have just as well taken the backup to Shaun Alexander.

Last edited by a moderator:
I protected three running backs. Essentially, its like going RB-RB-RB in a regular draft. Taking another RB in the mid rounds really wasn't considered, particularly a guy like Larry Johnson who was the clear backup entering this season. I may have just as well taken the backup to Shaun Alexander.
:ptts:

Users who are viewing this thread