What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My IDP season is over (1 Viewer)

Tick

Footballguy
What guys do I need to watch in the bowl games in order to form silly opinions based on one game?

Top DTs coming out:Haloti Ngata, Oregon-- Holiday BowlRodrique Wright, Texas-- Rose BowlClaude Wroten, L.S.U.-- Peach Bowl, Senior BowlKyle Williams, L.S.U.-- Peach BowlGabe Watson, Michigan-- Alamo BowlJesse Mahelona, Tennessee-- Senior Bowl (maybe)Likely to be drafted and worth watching:Dusty Dvoracek (Oklahoma), Babatunde Oshinowo (Stanford), Jonathan Lewis (Virginia Tech), Orien Harris (Miami FL), Brodrick Bunkley (Florida State)

Last edited by a moderator:
Top DEs coming out:Mario Williams, North Carolina St.-- Meineke BowlMathias Kiwanuka, Boston College-- MPC BowlTamba Hali, Penn St.-- Orange BowlRay Edwards, Purdue-- noneDarryl Tapp, Virginia Tech-- Gator BowlElvis Dumervil, Louisville-- Gator BowlOthers likely to be drafted:Parys Haralson (Tennessee), Manny Lawson (North Carolina St.), Kamerion Wimbley (Florida St.), Mark Anderson (Alabama)

Top ILBs coming out:D'Qwell Jackson, Maryland-- none Abdul Hodge, Iowa-- Outback BowlKevin Simon, Tennessee-- noneOthers to watch:Anthony Schlegel (Ohio St.), Tim McGarigle (Northwestern), Justin London (U.C.L.A.), Freddie Roach (Alabama)

Top OLBs coming out: A.J. Hawk, Ohio St.-- Fiesta BowlChad Greenway, Iowa-- Outback BowlDeMeco Ryans, Alabama-- Cotton BowlThomas Howard, U.T.E.P.-- GMAC BowlBobby Carpenter, Ohio St.-- Fiesta BowlA.J. Nicholson, Florida St.-- Orange BowlRoger McIntosh, Miami (FL)-- Peach BowlSpencer Havner, U.C.L.A.-- Sun BowlOthersTerna Nande (Miami OH), Gerris Wilkerson (Georgia Tech), Omar Gaither (Tennessee)

Top S coming out:LaRon Landry, L.S.U.-- Peach BowlDarnell Bing, Southern Cal-- Rose BowlBernard Pollard, Purdue-- noneGreg Blue, Georgia-- Sugar BowlRoman Harper, Alabama-- Cotton BowlOthers worth watching:Anthony Smith (Syracuse) Pat Watkins (Florida St.), Daniel Bullocks (Nebraska), Brian Iwuh (Colorado), Charlie Peprah (Alabama), Jarrad Page (U.C.L.A.)

Top CBs coming out:Jimmy Williams , Virginia Tech-- Gator BowlMichael Huff, Texas-- Rose BowlTye Hill, Clemson-- Champs Sports BowlOthers:DeMario Minter (Georgia), Jason Allen (Tennessee), Kelly Jenningsv (Miami FL), Alan Zemaitis (Penn St.), Will Blackmon (Boston College)

Several very good underclassmen who might declare have not been mentioned. I'm sure I missed a few others (some deliberately), and maybe some FBG draftnik college fans will swing by to fill in the holes. Note: Huff from Texas is listed as a CB but plays Safety for the Horns. His skillset is similar to Champ Bailey, and I'm pretty sure he's going to be a fine corner in the NFL. He can play any position in the secondary.

Wow, thanks for the list. I'll check back here whenever I watch a bowl game to see which guys to keep an eye on.Down year for Oklahoma's defensive players coming out.

Wow, thanks for the list. I'll check back here whenever I watch a bowl game to see which guys to keep an eye on.

Down year for Oklahoma's defensive players coming out.
No problem. I just finished a fantasy draft for the Bowl season, so my research was done as far as who's in which Bowl game. Also, the OLB class is very very deep, but Clint Ingram of Oklahoma will get a shot too. He's probably second day rnd 5-7 in this draft, but a good showing in the bowl/combine/pro day can move him up.

Wow, thanks for the list. I'll check back here whenever I watch a bowl game to see which guys to keep an eye on.

Down year for Oklahoma's defensive players coming out.
I will have the time to watch several, well actually most of the early ones, and will report on anyone who is being thrown around or that surprises me.

Kyle Williams is a better DT than Claude Wroten and he is a senior.LeRon Laundry is a junior. Did he declare?

Kyle Williams is a better DT than Claude Wroten and he is a senior.

LeRon Laundry is a junior. Did he declare?
Williams has certainly impressed me more than Wroten, but I see Wroten consistently ranked higher on draft lists. must be a measureables thing.

LeRon Laundry is a junior. Did he declare?
Williams has certainly impressed me more than Wroten, but I see Wroten consistently ranked higher on draft lists. must be a measureables thing.
The Juniors I listed like Landry and Super Mario are guys that are expected to come out early. I could be wrong, and I resisted listing several other underclassmen who might. I'll be surprised if any one listed doesn't come out though, and I suspect several others will join them. Wroten has been a top prospect all year, and you're not the first I've heard mention Kyle Williams better play. At least, I should have listed him with the "others" because he's probably neck and neck with all of them and just recently starting to move up draft boards. I've seen LSU three times this year, and neither made a greater impression than the other, but my opinion isn't important. I will pay closer attention during the Peach Bowl though. Many consider Wroten a sure thing first rounder, and none of the internet experts and scouting sites consider Williams anywhere close??? :confused:

LeRon Laundry is a junior.  Did he declare?
The Juniors I listed like Landry and Super Mario are guys that are expected to come out early. I could be wrong, and I resisted listing several other underclassmen who might. I'll be surprised if any one listed doesn't come out though, and I suspect several others will join them. Wroten has been a top prospect all year, and you're not the first I've heard mention Kyle Williams better play. At least, I should have listed him with the "others" because he's probably neck and neck with all of them and just recently starting to move up draft boards. I've seen LSU three times this year, and neither made a greater impression than the other, but my opinion isn't important. I will pay closer attention during the Peach Bowl though. Many consider Wroten a sure thing first rounder, and none of the internet experts and scouting sites consider Williams anywhere close??? :confused:
That is wierd because Kyle Williams is the best D-lineman on LSU and has been starting since the year LSU won the National Championship. He might be one of those guys who slip in the draft but end up starting in the NFL. I would keep an eye on him if you play w/ DTs.

Any idea which players may switch positions in the NFL?Mainly looking for CBs who could move to FS or DE moving to LB.

Darryl Tapp, Virginia Tech-- Gator Bowl
Any idea which players may switch positions in the NFL?

Mainly looking for CBs who could move to FS or DE moving to LB.
Tapp may be labeled as someone needing to change positions. At the start of this season he was listed as 6'1", 265 lbs. which is on the small side of NFL DEs.I've stood next to him before and it's hard for me to imagine him packing anymore muscle on his frame, but I'm not sure how well he'd do with a switch.

That is wierd because Kyle Williams is the best D-lineman on LSU and has been starting since the year LSU won the National Championship. He might be one of those guys who slip in the draft but end up starting in the NFL. I would keep an eye on him if you play w/ DTs.
I added Williams and Brodrick Bunkley to the DT list.

Any idea which players may switch positions in the NFL?

Mainly looking for CBs who could move to FS or DE moving to LB.
The two top DBs are both versatile enough to be moved. Jimmy Williams is an excellent corner in college, but a corner rich team could work him in at FS (he'll be very good at either position). Michael Huff is a FS at Texas, but he's being projected as a top corner (has the speed and cover skills necessary). Alan Zemaitis plays corner at Penn State, but he may not have the speed of an NFL corner and could be moved to FS where he might be very good. Dumervil is leading the nation in sacks playing DE for Louisville, but he's only 6-0 and 255. He might be an OLB in the NFL (think Steve Foley). Parys Haralson (Tennessee) is in the same boat. Also there's a pretty long list of undersized DEs who I haven't mentioned who may be drafted on the second day and given a shot at OLB. It's a deep year for that position.

Alan Zemaitis plays corner at Penn State, but he may not have the speed of an NFL corner and could be moved to FS where he might be very good.
AZ could be a very good FS, IMHO. He could stay at CB, but as you point out, he doesn't really have the top end speed. I think he has looked better than Bryan Scott did when he was at PSU and Scott has played well at the Safety positions until he went into a funk a couple of weeks ago. I would bet that AZ is drafted a little lower than most draft experts think because of the speed issue, but may become a better NFL and fantasy option than some drafted ahead of him.

Alan Zemaitis plays corner at Penn State, but he may not have the speed of an NFL corner and could be moved to FS where he might be very good.
AZ could be a very good FS, IMHO. He could stay at CB, but as you point out, he doesn't really have the top end speed. I think he has looked better than Bryan Scott did when he was at PSU and Scott has played well at the Safety positions until he went into a funk a couple of weeks ago. I would bet that AZ is drafted a little lower than most draft experts think because of the speed issue, but may become a better NFL and fantasy option than some drafted ahead of him.
I agree with all of that. Zemaitis is a player. He could be excellent in cover 2 schemes as a corner where pure coverage skills aren't as important. He's one of a couple dozen every year who will be upgraded or downgraded (too much) based on a 40 time.

Top ILBs coming out:

D'Qwell Jackson, Maryland-- none

Abdul Hodge, Iowa-- Outback Bowl

Kevin Simon, Tennessee-- none

Others to watch:

Anthony Schlegel (Ohio St.), Tim McGarigle (Northwestern), Justin London (U.C.L.A.), Freddie Roach (Alabama)
Are any of these of the level of a Vilma/Thurman/Tatupu?

The real stud LB's in this draft are the outside guys. I really like this draft for LB's. AJ Hawk, Greenway, and Ryans all look great. Abdul Hodge may turn out to be a really nice MLB though.

The real stud LB's in this draft are the outside guys. I really like this draft for LB's. AJ Hawk, Greenway, and Ryans all look great. Abdul Hodge may turn out to be a really nice MLB though.
Are they stud NFL LBs or fantasy football LBs? Or both?

I have seen just about every game Hodge and Greenway have played. They are both legit NFL LB's. Greenway has been compared to Urlacher and for good reason, he can cover downfield like no one his size (240 lbs) and can hit like a truck. Hodge does not have the speed Vilma has but I would rate him very close to Thurman. AJ Hawk is a very special player, he gets to the football no matter what. These three will be staring for an NFL team soon. As for fantasy, any of these guys in the right system could lead the league in tackles.

I think Hawk is a can't miss, NFL and IDP stud. With the others it's going to depend on where they end up and what opportunity they are given. I really like Greenway and Ryans on the outside, and D'Qwell reminds me of Odell in many ways. Ahmad Brooks hasn't been mentioned but he is as talented as any, if he comes out.

On the DT Wroten/Williams situation at LSU, Wroten has made first team All-American and Williams was overlooked. LSU coaches voted Wroten the Best Defensive Player award for their banquet. Williams, on the other hand, is gaining more praise lately from NFL personnel types, but Wroten is still more highly regarded. I think it is a measureables thing. He's a little bigger, a little faster, a little stronger.

I have seen just about every game Hodge and Greenway have played. They are both legit NFL LB's. Greenway has been compared to Urlacher and for good reason, he can cover downfield like no one his size (240 lbs) and can hit like a truck. Hodge does not have the speed Vilma has but I would rate him very close to Thurman. AJ Hawk is a very special player, he gets to the football no matter what. These three will be staring for an NFL team soon. As for fantasy, any of these guys in the right system could lead the league in tackles.
I didn't mean to leave Hodge out of my comments. Personally, I think he will be better than Odell and Lofa, but he may not produce as fast. It will depend on the team and the line in front of him.

Users who are viewing this thread