What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NAACP to athletes: don’t sign with teams from Texas (1 Viewer)

timschochet

Footballguy
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32497111/naacp-calls-athletes-not-sign-texas-teams-due-recent-legislation

The NAACP is urging athletes not to sign with any sports teams from Texas, due to the recent actions of the government in that state regarding abortion, mask mandates, and voting rights. 
This is interesting. There have been, in the past, proposed boycotts of sports franchises over the actions or statements of an owner. There have been boycotts of a state as a sports venue over a political decision. But I don’t recall urging athletes not to sign with teams from a certain state. Is this a good thing? And will it be successful? 

Interesting.  While I do not pointedly agree with all ideas and thoughts, I am assiduously opposed to this behavior in particular.  But hey, trying to squeeze your ideological opponents into a corner has never resulted in bad outcomes right?

This is totally normal behavior in healthy, well-functioning countries.

Edit: /s

Edit Part II: I am idiot who thought that this was about the NCAA as opposed to the NAACP.  The NAACP is openly a political interest group that is dedicated to this particular cause, so I have no problem with them taking this kind of position.  The fact that I thought it was totally plausible that this story was about the NCAA instead is troubling.

Last edited by a moderator:
In truth, a fully healthy country doesn’t need an NAACP. 
Their presence here has always been a sign that we have a long way to go. 
Their presence will never be gone.  If we define what the long way to go is--and we reach it--they're not going to dissolve as an organization. 

I'm not sure why the NAACP needs to advocate for abortion rights and mask mandates.  

I'm not sure why they think 18 year old kids need to be taking up the cause.  If you're for the advancement and betterment of black persons--you should probably promote them going to college and making NIL $$.  The University of Texas, Texas Tech, etc. didn't set the policy for the state.  Trying to punish the universities for the actions of the government seems like the wrong approach.

I have no real thoughts or take on the NAACP - I don't know enough about it.  But on this particular issue you and I disagree - I have no problem with it whatsoever.  This is a type of "protest" that I'm in favor of.  I'd be willing to bet that if AA players stopped signing for Texas teams or universities that it would put a lot of pressure on the state to change those policies.  What is your concern?

And FTR, I'd also support the NRA or Scientology* or other groups doing the same.

*that's is only partially a joke

Their presence will never be gone.  If we define what the long way to go is--and we reach it--they're not going to dissolve as an organization. 

I'm not sure why the NAACP needs to advocate for abortion rights and mask mandates.  

I'm not sure why they think 18 year old kids need to be taking up the cause.  If you're for the advancement and betterment of black persons--you should probably promote them going to college and making NIL $$.  The University of Texas, Texas Tech, etc. didn't set the policy for the state.  Trying to punish the universities for the actions of the government seems like the wrong approach.

The mask part was definitely puzzling - the abortion piece I could see if they feel minorities are some how more impacted by that law than others (and I'm assuming that's the case with zero proof).  But, ignoring their specific gripes, my position would be that they can call for this protest to help enact change. 

I have no real thoughts or take on the NAACP - I don't know enough about it.  But on this particular issue you and I disagree - I have no problem with it whatsoever.  This is a type of "protest" that I'm in favor of.  I'd be willing to bet that if AA players stopped signing for Texas teams or universities that it would put a lot of pressure on the state to change those policies.  What is your concern?

And FTR, I'd also support the NRA or Scientology* or other groups doing the same.

*that's is only partially a joke

This doesn't even make a ripple in the sports landscape.  Pro athletes care about money, not principle.  If the Texas abortion law affect their bottom line, then they might care, but it doesn't so...  

No we do not.  But I would not be inclined to inhibit a group of people to organize for the betterment of people. Unfortunately, I do not see how the NAACP actually provides meaningful help to the people who truly need it.

Yeah, whether the NAACP is a valuable entity is less interesting to me than the idea of these entities being able to promote these types of civil change.

They sent the letters to the the MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL and WNBA players' associations.  As far as I know, it has nothing to do with colleges.

This doesn't even make a ripple in the sports landscape.  Pro athletes care about money, not principle.  If the Texas abortion law affect their bottom line, then they might care, but it doesn't so...  

Agree - I don't see this having much impact.  Maybe if it was more grassroots by the athletes themselves but as you say, that seems unlikely as it can be $$$ out of their pocket.

Yeah, whether the NAACP is a valuable entity is less interesting to me than the idea of these entities being able to promote these types of civil change.

I understand your point.  

My position is that they can and should have a voice, even though I might disagree with them intensely.  The silencing of those with whom we disagree is an act of evil that we should all actively avoid.

Pro athletes aren’t some monolithic group. Some care only about money. Some care about money and issues. Some care about issues. Or girls. Or weather. Or whatever. 

Pro athletes aren’t some monolithic group. Some care only about money. Some care about money and issues. Some care about issues. Or girls. Or weather. Or whatever. 

Let me know when an athlete takes less money from a team located in Texas (who also doesn't have income tax) to play for a team in another state because of an abortion law or voting law.  

To be clear, this is about football.  Nothing else matters to Texas schools when it comes to athletics and budgets.  Texas is one of the most fertile recruiting grounds in all of college football.  The majority of their rosters are kids who stay at home to go there.  I find it hard to believe many of them are going to leave the state over this.  Most grew up Longhorn or Aggie fans so barring them really being personally moved by this, I don't see it mattering much.  Some may leave to play for Kirby Smart or Nick Saban though, as they have been doing.  LSU and Oklahoma recruit well there too.  That's been happening regardless.

ETA: Austin is a pretty liberal city too I believe.  If the student athlete is moved by politics away from the right and toward the left, I'm not sure why he wouldn't still consider playing in Austin.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32497111/naacp-calls-athletes-not-sign-texas-teams-due-recent-legislation

The NAACP is urging athletes not to sign with any sports teams from Texas, due to the recent actions of the government in that state regarding abortion, mask mandates, and voting rights. 
This is interesting. There have been, in the past, proposed boycotts of sports franchises over the actions or statements of an owner. There have been boycotts of a state as a sports venue over a political decision. But I don’t recall urging athletes not to sign with teams from a certain state. Is this a good thing? And will it be successful? 

No and no.   There will be an athlete willing to take the free paid tuition and room and board. Let the players decide where they want to attend school and or play sports.  Whoever refuses just means next man up, and there will be a next man up willing to take that spot.

MLB tried to punish Atlanta by taking the All-Star game away.  Nobody remembers and it only hurt the locals.   Of course now the World Series is in Atlanta and MLB is quiet as a church mouse as not to impact their $$$$$$$$.

Should the NAACP update their dated name now too?  Colored people??

In truth, a fully healthy country doesn’t need an NAACP. 
Their presence here has always been a sign that we have a long way to go. 
The NAACP had long passed from a useful political movement to an institution dedicated to its own survival.

No and no.   There will be an athlete willing to take the free paid tuition and room and board. Let the players decide where they want to attend school and or play sports.  Whoever refuses just means next man up, and there will be a next man up willing to take that spot.

MLB tried to punish Atlanta by taking the All-Star game away.  Nobody remembers and it only hurt the locals.   Of course now the World Series is in Atlanta and MLB is quiet as a church mouse as not to impact their $$$$$$$$.

Should the NAACP update their dated name now too?  Colored people??
MLB already punished Atlanta when they took the Braves away

To be clear, this is about football.  Nothing else matters to Texas schools when it comes to athletics and budgets.  Texas is one of the most fertile recruiting grounds in all of college football.  The majority of their rosters are kids who stay at home to go there.  I find it hard to believe many of them are going to leave the state over this.  Most grew up Longhorn or Aggie fans so barring them really being personally moved by this, I don't see it mattering much.  Some may leave to play for Kirby Smart or Nick Saban though, as they have been doing.  LSU and Oklahoma recruit well there too.  That's been happening regardless.

ETA: Austin is a pretty liberal city too I believe.  If the student athlete is moved by politics away from the right and toward the left, I'm not sure why he wouldn't still consider playing in Austin.
Why do people keep thinking this is about college sports?  This is the NAACP making a statement, not the NCAA.  The statement urged professional athletes not to sign with professional sports teams based in Texas (e.g. Cowboys, Rangers, Astros, Rockets, et.al.).  It's unlikely many will care, but I really don't see why people are up in arms about this.

Edit Part II: I am idiot who thought that this was about the NCAA as opposed to the NAACP.  The NAACP is openly a political interest group that is dedicated to this particular cause, so I have no problem with them taking this kind of position.  The fact that I thought it was totally plausible that this story was about the NCAA instead is troubling.
I'm still waiting to hear NWA's position on this issue

I dealt with the NAACP on a systemic racism issue at Clemson University and they were extremely ineffective.  I was so disappointed.  Their involvement varies from chapter to chapter.  I wish they’d tackle different issues.  

Users who are viewing this thread