What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL could've made it up to New Orleans but... (1 Viewer)

Lash

Footballguy
New Orleans played a "home" game at New York Giants two years ago following the Katrina disaster - so missed out on a true home-field advantage

and once again this year they miss out on one of their "home" games having a true home-field advantage

why did SOMEBODY in the NFL offices have the bright idea of taking away another of their home games instead of making that game an "away" game to somewhat make up for the 2006 season loss of a home game

i'm sure a computer program spits out a schedule but how hard could it have been to tweak the home/away for that one appearance

yes it may have caused them to have to tweak another couple nfcsouth/afcwest home/aways to make it wash but seems easy to me

(below scenarios are straight from my failing memory)

i believe NYG won that "away" game in their own building in 2006 and BARELY made the playoffs later on (perhaps by that one helping hand game?)

and

the saints BARELY missed home-field advantage in the playoffs and ended up playing in cold wet soldier field (did that "home" game cost them a much better chance at a super bowl berth or did chicago win home-field by more than one game?)

--------------------------

was the Giants game last year also a game that was a Dolphins "home" game that was in London?

---------------------------

so what if the saints lose this "home" game this weekend and miss the playoffs year by one game?

fair?

seems to me this is twice in 3 years the saints play one less home game and that doesn't seem fair

(below scenarios are straight from my failing memory)

i believe NYG won that "away" game in their own building in 2006 and BARELY made the playoffs later on (perhaps by that one helping hand game?)

and

the saints BARELY missed home-field advantage in the playoffs and ended up playing in cold wet soldier field (did that "home" game cost them a much better chance at a super bowl berth or did chicago win home-field by more than one game?)

--------------------------

was the Giants game last year also a game that was a Dolphins "home" game that was in London?

---------------------------

so what if the saints lose this "home" game this weekend and miss the playoffs year by one game?

fair?

seems to me this is twice in 3 years the saints play one less home game and that doesn't seem fair
The bolded happened the following year. The year they played on the road was the year of Katrina, and they were terrible. The next year they turned it all around, and made the NFC championship.

Miami was "Home" in London last year. The Saints are "Home" there this year. I might be wrong, but didn't the Saints volunteer for this game? Fans going to Wembley on Sunday have been asked to back the Saints if they are neutral. I'll be barracking Rivers for a full three hours - does that count?

Last edited by a moderator:
Miami was "Home" in London last year. The Saints are "Home" there this year. I might be wrong, but didn't the Saints volunteer for this game? Fans going to Wembley on Sunday have been asked to back the Saints if they are neutral. I'll be barracking Rivers for a full three hours - does that count?
would love to see the "Saints" fans (i.e. bloody English hooligans) throw insults at Rivers just to see what rise they could get out of him.

It does seem strange that, of all teams, the Saints would have to lose a home game so early in this London experiment that may not even last long enough for all 32 teams to be affected.

What's more depressing as a fan is that they'll go from week 6 to week 12 without a home game. That just shouldn't be possible.

Originally, I believe the thinking was that the NFL was going to rotate all teams through this, meaning the first 32 games in its international series would include one "home" game and one away game for each NFL team. The Saints just happened to be selected as the host of the third game in the series.

Now I think with the possible expansion to a 17 game season, the NFL is considering making each team play one international game every season.

And the Bills have asked to play a game in Toronto every season.

This is going to be commonplace within the next 5 years.

Originally, I believe the thinking was that the NFL was going to rotate all teams through this, meaning the first 32 games in its international series would include one "home" game and one away game for each NFL team. The Saints just happened to be selected as the host of the third game in the series.

Now I think with the possible expansion to a 17 game season, the NFL is considering making each team play one international game every season.

The Bills don't sell out their home games in Buffalo.

Its my understanding that every team will have an international game in the upcoming seasons, and it may have been a home and away road game. I think this is a big part of the 18 game season picking up steam again, as teams will be able to keep 8 "true" home dates and 1 international game every so often.

I definately agree, they shouldn't have been the "home" team in this scenario, Nola it would seem to me needs every major day of revenue it can garner, but by the same token, its an interesting aspect of exposure and good press in the international world for a New Orleans team. It's bad practically for the city, but might be a greater good for NOLA overall.

From a football standpoint, I agree that its a bite on the saints season.

The Bills don't sell out their home games in Buffalo.
I understand that, but the point remains that the NFL will continue expanding the games it plays outside the U.S., for multiple reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread