What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[NFL Draft] Hedge your Enthusiasm (1 Viewer)

BlueOnion

Footballguy
I am as guilty as the next guy, as a Viking fan I am borderline trashed on Cutler Cool-Aid and fairly sure they are going to trade up with Buffalo at 1.08 to draft the Vandy Quarterback.

But today would be a good day to reflect on our individual enthusiasm for certain players in the 2005 draft and reflect how much some of these blue-chip prospects really helped their team in the 2005 season.

1 Alex D. Smith 49ers QB Utah

2 Ronnie Brown Dolphins RB Auburn

3 Braylon Edwards Browns WR Michigan

4 Cedric Benson Bears RB Texas

5 Cadillac Williams Buccaneers RB Auburn

6 Adam (Pacman) Jones Titans DB West Virginia

7 Troy Williamson Vikings WR South Carolina

8 Antrel Rolle Cardinals DB Miami (FL)

9 Carlos Rogers Redskins DB Auburn

10 Mike Williams Lions WR USC

11 Demarcus Ware Cowboys DE Troy State

12 Shawne Merriman Chargers LB Maryland

13 Jammal Brown Saints T Oklahoma

14 Thomas Davis Panthers DB Georgia

15 Derrick O. Johnson Chiefs LB Texas

Certainly some did Cadillac, Ware and Merriman stand out to me. But I expected more out of Ronnie Brown, Pac-man and BMW.

I am as guilty as the next guy, as a Viking fan I am borderline trashed on Cutler Cool-Aid and fairly sure they are going to trade up with Buffalo at 1.08 to draft the Vandy Quarterback.

But today would be a good day to reflect on our individual enthusiasm for certain players in the 2005 draft and reflect how much some of these blue-chip prospects really helped their team in the 2005 season.

Certainly some did Cadillac, Ware and Merriman stand out to me. But I expected more out of Ronnie Brown, Pac-man and BMW.
Good point. As a Packer fan, I had as much impact as Aaron Rodgers did last season. I should have known when the picture of him next to Lloyd Christmas drew such a striking resemblance. Alas there is hope for we fans of the 4-12 Packers as we set our sights on A.J. Hawk who would probably be the best linebacker the Packers have from day 1.

Certainly some did Cadillac, Ware and Merriman stand out to me.  But I expected more out of Ronnie Brown, Pac-man and BMW.
Good point. As a Packer fan, I had as much impact as Aaron Rodgers did last season. I should have known when the picture of him next to Lloyd Christmas drew such a striking resemblance. Alas there is hope for we fans of the 4-12 Packers as we set our sights on A.J. Hawk who would probably be the best linebacker the Packers have from day 1.
I think Hawk will be a great one too. But Derrick Johnson was highly touted last year (although not as much as Hawk this year) and his first year was mediocre at best. Johnson did show flashes of greatness but I still think Johnson is still more potential than substance. I could be wrong :ph34r:

1 Alex D. Smith 49ers QB Utah - worst year ever to have #1

2 Ronnie Brown Dolphins RB Auburn - solid ,should do better in 06

3 Braylon Edwards Browns WR Michigan - hurt

4 Cedric Benson Bears RB Texas - T.jones getting traded? stock goes up

5 Cadillac Williams Buccaneers RB Auburn - solid

6 Adam (Pacman) Jones Titans DB West Virginia - :X

7 Troy Williamson Vikings WR South Carolina - jury's still out, looks one-dimensional

8 Antrel Rolle Cardinals DB Miami (FL) - hurt, looked good when he played though

9 Carlos Rogers Redskins DB Auburn - ok

10 Mike Williams Lions WR USC - :X

11 Demarcus Ware Cowboys DE Troy State :thumbup:

12 Shawne Merriman Chargers LB Maryland :thumbup: :thumbup:

13 Jammal Brown Saints T Oklahoma - very solid player

14 Thomas Davis Panthers DB Georgia - good

15 Derrick O. Johnson Chiefs LB Texas - I thought he was o.k.

Last edited by a moderator:

Certainly some did Cadillac, Ware and Merriman stand out to me.  But I expected more out of Ronnie Brown, Pac-man and BMW.
I think Hawk will be a great one too. But Derrick Johnson was highly touted last year (although not as much as Hawk this year) and his first year was mediocre at best. Johnson did show flashes of greatness but I still think Johnson is still more potential than substance. I could be wrong :ph34r:
When you team is coming of 4-12, it's hard to believe that a player named A.J. Hawk won't help. I think Hawk, is more substance than potential, as it were. He's a well rounded player who I've heard might have a slightly limited upside. He's more likely to be Keith Brooking than Brian Urlacher or Napolean Harris. He won't be an all-timer, but is equally as unlikely to bust. I can live with that after years of watching the likes of Jude Waddy, Bernardo Harris, Robert Thomas, Nate Wayne...etc.

1. How much could be expected?2. He played well and will be even better this year.

3. He was really starting to show his talent before the injury.

4. Nice holdout, jackass. That was a bad pick by the Bears. They should have known Thomas Jones was good enough.

5. OROY

6. Another bad pick. Character issues should have steered them away.

7. Reach. And we ALL new it. Except the guys that are now fired.

8. Started to emerge.

9. :mello:

10. Not much could have been expected of him. We'll see this year.

11. Helped his team quite a lot.

12. DROY

13. He's a stud in the making and will probably move to LT this year.

14. Good and will get better when they move him to LB

15. Played well for a bad defense.

So if you're saying it's tough for first rounders to make an impact their first year, in general I agree. But you're picking first rounders to be the cornerstone of your franchise for 5-10 years - especially when you're picking in the top 10.

1 Alex D. Smith 49ers QB Utah - worst year ever to have #1
Don' t get me wrong, i don't like Smith, but had they drafted Braylon Edwards last year, they'd be in a position to take their QB this year.Poor drafting doesn't mean it's a horrible spot. It just means SF isn't very smart.

No complaints on how my team did.  :blackdot:
We passed on DJ to take an overhyped WR, a year removed from playing. I have lots of complaints.
Jamal Brown was the pick to make here for the Lions.SF should have taken anyone except A.Smith.

They might get #1 again next year and they can take Brady from ND if need be.

Actually as a Packer fan, I liked the Rodgers pick then and now. I hope he pans out obviously but in all reality he was a pretty obvious pick.

Don' t get me wrong, i don't like Smith, but had they drafted Braylon Edwards last year, they'd be in a position to take their QB this year.Poor drafting doesn't mean it's a horrible spot. It just means SF isn't very smart.
So, you're saying that Jay Cutler is that much more superior than Alex Smith? Because that is who the 49ers would be looking at selecting with the 6th overall choice. We all know that Lienart and Young won't fall that far.

Don' t get me wrong, i don't like Smith, but had they drafted Braylon Edwards last year, they'd be in a position to take their QB this year.

Poor drafting doesn't mean it's a horrible spot. It just means SF isn't very smart.
So, you're saying that Jay Cutler is that much more superior than Alex Smith? Because that is who the 49ers would be looking at selecting with the 6th overall choice. We all know that Lienart and Young won't fall that far.
No, we don't know that. But, let's say you're right.I'd take Cutler and Braylon over Smith and V Davis.

Users who are viewing this thread