What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[NFLDraftCountdown.com] Updated Mock (1 Viewer)

BlueOnion

Footballguy
Mock

1.01 Houston - Reggie Bush (RB USC)

1.02 New Orleans - Mario Williams (DE South Carolina)

1.03 Tennessee - Matt Lienart (QB (USC)

1.04 NY Jets - D'Brickashaw Ferguson (OT Virginia)

1.05 Green Bay - AJ Hawk (OLB Ohio State)

1.06 San Francisco - Vernon Davis (TE Maryland)

1.07 Oakland - Jay Cutler (QB Vanderbilt)

1.08 Buffalo - Haloti Ngata (DT Oregon)

1.09 Detroit - Michael Huff (S\CB Texas)

1.10 Arizona - Vince Young (QB Texas)

1.11 St. Louis - Tye Hill (CB Clemson)

1.12 Cleveland - Kamerion Wimbley (DE Florida State)

1.13 Baltimore - Winston Justice (OT USC)

1.14 Philadelphia - Brodrick Bunkley (DT Florida State)

1.15 Denver - Chad Jackson (WR Florida)

1.16 Miami - Jimmy Williams (S Virginia Tech)

1.17 Minnesota - Ernie Sims (LB Florida State)

1.18 Dallas - Santonio Holmes (WR Ohio State)

1.19 San Diego - Donte Whitner (S Ohio State)

1.20 Kansas City - Ashton Youboty (CB Ohio St)

1.21 New England - DeAngelo Williams (RB Memphis)

1.22 Denver - Tamba Hali (DE Penn State)

1.23 Tampa Bay - Marcus McNeil (OT Auburn)

1.24 Cincinnati - Gabe Watson (DT Michigan)

1.25 NY Giants - Chad Greenway (OLB Iowa)

1.26 Chicago - Jonathan Joseph (CB South Carolina)

1.27 Carolina - Lendal White (RB USC)

1.28 Jacksonville - Thomas Howard (OLB UTEP)

1.29 NY Jets - Bobby Carpenter (OLB Ohio State)

1.30 Indianapolis - Laurence Maroney (RB Minnesota)

1.31 Seattle - Mathias Kiwanuka (DE Boston College)

1.32 Pittsburgh - Daniel Bullocks (S Nebraska)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Blue Onion. Well thought out and researched. Most of it makes sense, although I still don't see the Niners taking Vernon Davis at #6.

If it's not a pay site, could someone please post the mock? I cannot get it due to our work filter which won't allow access to that site.

Also, I just don't see all these places calling for Mario Williams to the Saints as the Saints do already have Charles Grant and Will Smith at DE and that is a pretty good duo. I think their best bet would be Ferguson.

If it's not a pay site, could someone please post the mock? I cannot get it due to our work filter which won't allow access to that site.

Also, I just don't see all these places calling for Mario Williams to the Saints as the Saints do already have Charles Grant and Will Smith at DE and that is a pretty good duo. I think their best bet would be Ferguson.
It is a free site and I was going to paste the mock in here but they got so much text for each pick, I didn't think the copy\paste would format well into a thread.I try to copy\paste the individual pieces for you.

Holmes to Dallas is another example of mockers correctly identifying need and value but failing to take historical precedence into consideration.

Parcells has publicly stated that first round receivers are very high risk and that good ones can be found in later rounds. Further, Dallas has not drafted an offensive player in the first round since 1998 and David LaFleur.

Is it possible that they take Holmes? Yes. But given their other needs and the values on the board, it seems a whole lot more likely to be an OLB such as Wimbley, Lawson, or Carpenter. Such a pick would fit historical tendencies as well as need and value.

I love that site, but this mock doesn't look right to me.
I am bias because many of the things I see best represent my own person feelings.I don't see Cutler or Young going in the top 4 or top 6. I see Mario Williams and D'Brick moving into the top 4. I see Vernon Davis being a definite top 10. Even scrolling down, I think the running backs (outside of Bush) drop.

Holmes to Dallas is another example of mockers correctly identifying need and value but failing to take historical precedence into consideration.

Parcells has publicly stated that first round receivers are very high risk and that good ones can be found in later rounds. Further, Dallas has not drafted an offensive player in the first round since 1998 and David LaFleur.

Is it possible that they take Holmes? Yes. But given their other needs and the values on the board, it seems a whole lot more likely to be an OLB such as Wimbley, Lawson, or Carpenter. Such a pick would fit historical tendencies as well as need and value.
I can appreciate what you are saying. But, Dallas taking a WR is not off the wall. You mention historical trends. Didn't Dallas draft two OLB and a DE with their first 3 picks last year? Also, take into consideration that the LB class is very deep and the WR class is extremely thin, WR value may be pushed up. Also, throw in that Parcells did take (not that it was necessarily his call though) Terry Glenn very high. And throw in the fact that Jerry Jones loves getting playmakers with his first round picks and has a lot of influence on draft day, and you probably have a 50/50 shot at WR vs. LB. It's anybodys guess.

I can appreciate what you are saying. But, Dallas taking a WR is not off the wall. You mention historical trends. Didn't Dallas draft two OLB and a DE with their first 3 picks last year? Also, take into consideration that the LB class is very deep and the WR class is extremely thin, WR value may be pushed up. Also, throw in that Parcells did take (not that it was necessarily his call though) Terry Glenn very high. And throw in the fact that Jerry Jones loves getting playmakers with his first round picks and has a lot of influence on draft day, and you probably have a 50/50 shot at WR vs. LB. It's anybodys guess.
Agreed. I think if BP has his way, he'll be collecting another lb. But if JJ really likes one of the top 2 wrs and they're on the board, I can see him going that direction too.Could also see JJ trading up for a qb if one of the top 3 falls far enough(don't think it would happen, but you never know).

Cowboys immediate needs = OLB, FS and Oline. But OLB can be had in the 2nd. FS I don't is necessarily a big priority, esp with how little talent there is at that position in the draft. Oline additions would be mostly for depth, as I think they already have their starters in place.

So I really wouldn't be surprised to see a wr drafted to groom behind 2 old injury prone wrs. But I do think they will go with an OLB, possibly in a trade down.

Parcells has publicly stated that first round receivers are very high risk and that good ones can be found in later rounds.  Further, Dallas has not drafted an offensive player in the first round since 1998 and David LaFleur.

Is it possible that they take Holmes?  Yes.  But given their other needs and the values on the board, it seems a whole lot more likely to be an OLB such as Wimbley, Lawson, or Carpenter.  Such a pick would fit historical tendencies as well as need and value.
Last year, Dallas drafted Ware and Burnett in the first 41 picks of the draft. Everybody knows about Ware. He's slated at OLB for the next 5-10 years. Burnett has yet to establish a position. He's been hurt more than healthy. He played some OLB this past year, but is better suited to ILB, according to Parcells. Its also worth noting that a 3-4 takes more than 4 LBs. You need depth.Yes, the LB class is deep and the WR class is "poor". At the top end. That still does not address Parcells' contention that WRs can be found late. I'd have a hard time arguing that this year's second day WR class is materially different from previous drafts' second day picks.

Parcells did take Glenn. And yes, that pick was forced on him. This fact contributed to him calling Glenn "She" and those sorts of games. He left after that season.

Jones does love getting playmakers with his first picks. I have a much easier time seeing a top OLB like Wimbley, Lawson or Carpenter making a bigger impact next year than a 3rd or more likely 4th WR like Holmes or Jackson. Remember, Dallas' spread offense includes TO, Glenn, Crayton, Witten, and a RB (probably MBIII). Where's Holmes/Jackson going to play?

You're right that it is anybody's guess. Thats why I use terms such as probable and likely. We don't know for sure. But by taking a deeper level of analysis, I feel that you can improve your odds of being right.

Mock

1.02 New Orleans - Mario Williams (DE South Carolina)
Not the first time I've seen the wrong school listed for Mario, but that's a new one. Should be NC State.
My bad, I had to do it all manually (per the request of Spike who has yet to thank me) and was doing it in a hurry.

Round 2:

33. HOUSTON TEXANS Sinorice Moss WR | Miami (FL)

Both Corey Bradford and Jabar Gaffney were lost as free agents so a top receiver is needed.

34. NEW ORLEANS SAINTS DeMeco Ryans OLB | Alabama

This guy could easily go in the first round and he would fill what is a glaring need for them.

35. NEW YORK JETS Nick Mangold C | Ohio St.

A rare center who has a first round grade to replace Kevin Mawae in the middle of the line.

36. GREEN BAY PACKERS Kelly Jennings CB | Miami (FL)

Former first rounder Ahmad Carroll continues to struggle and they don't have much depth.

37. SAN FRANCISCO 49'ERS Manny Lawson OLB | North Carolina St.

Julian Peterson left as a free agent so a top outside linebacker is needed for their 3-4 scheme.

38. OAKLAND RAIDERS Claude Wroten DT | L.S.U.

Ted Washington is gone and while this isn't their biggest need it would be a great value pick.

39. TENNESSEE TITANS D'Qwell Jackson ILB | Maryland

It is no secret that this is a team in the market for a speedy and athletic middle linebacker.

40. DETROIT LIONS Roger McIntosh OLB | Miami (FL)

Earl Holmes is gone so with Teddy Lehman in the middle a top outside linebacker is needed.

41. ARIZONA CARDINALS Ko Simpson S | South Carolina

Robert Griffith won't be around much longer and they still need a playmaker in the secondary.

42. BUFFALO BILLS Eric Winston OT | Miami (FL)

This could be the steal of the draft and would also address a major area of concern for them.

43. CLEVELAND BROWNS Rodrique Wright DE | Texas

An underachieving college defensive tackle who could be a 3-4 defensive end like Ty Warren.

44. BALTIMORE RAVENS Darnell Bing S | Southern Cal

Outstanding athlete to team with Ed Reed in the secondary as a replacement for Will Demps.

45. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES Jon Alston OLB | Stanford

This is precisely the type of weakside linebacker who is good in coverage that they covet.

46. ST. LOUIS RAMS Leonard Pope TE | Georgia

A tremendous value pick who will be a major upgrade over Manumaleuna in the passing game.

47. ATLANTA FALCONS Antonio Cromartie CB | Florida St.

A potential steal with rare ability and the Falcons are looking to add some depth at corner.

48. MINNESOTA VIKINGS Max Jean-Gilles OG | Georgia :towelwave:

A prototypcial right guard who would complete the rebuilding job along the offensive line.

49. DALLAS COWBOYS Jason Allen S | Tennessee

Exactly the type of athletic center fielder the team is looking for to compliment Roy Williams.

50. SAN DIEGO CHARGERS Jonathan Scott OT | Texas

Roman Oben is nearing the end of his career and the team supposedly really like this guy.

51. MINNESOTA VIKINGS (f/MIA) Alan Zemaitis CB | Penn St. :confused:

Experienced player who will be a perfect fit for the teams new Cover 2 defensive scheme.

52. NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS Richard Marshall CB | Fresno St.

A cornerback is needed and this guy played well for Belichick's old buddy Pat Hill in college.

53. WASHINGTON REDSKINS John McCargo DT | North Carolina St.

They need more help in the middle and this guy could still very easily be chosen in round one.

54. KANSAS CITY CHIEFS Parys Haralson DE | Tennessee

Exactly the type of speedy edge pass rusher the team wants opposite of Jared Allen outside.

55. CINCINNATI BENGALS Marcedes Lewis TE | U.C.L.A.

Falls much lower than anyone expected due to the influx of juniors and his lack of top speed.

56. NEW YORK GIANTS Demetrius Williams WR | Oregon

Fast and a vertical deep threat who will provide a perfect compliment to Burress and Toomer.

57. CHICAGO BEARS Anthony Fasano TE | Notre Dame

A great all-around tight end who can block but will also improve their passing game as well.

58. CAROLINA PANTHERS Dominique Byrd TE | Southern Cal

Will give them the best weapon they have had at tight end since the days of Wesley Walls.

59. TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS Cedric Griffin CB | Texas

Player on the rise who could play corner or safety and will fit well in their defensive scheme.

60. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS Davin Joseph OG | Oklahoma

A tremendous value pick who will, if nothing else, push the underachieving Vince Manuwai.

61. DENVER BRONCOS Joe Klopfenstein TE | Colorado

A local prospect with ideal measurables who will help replace the departed Jeb Putzier.

62. INDIANAPOLIS COLTS Orien Harris DT | Miami (FL)

Larry Tripplett is gone and this guy has the ability to vastly outperform his draft position.

63. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS Charles Spencer OG | Pittsburgh

With Steve Hutchinson now gone help is needed inside and this guy has tons of potential.

64. PITTSBURGH STEELERS Mark Anderson OLB | Alabama

His stock is on the rise and all 3-4 teams can always use a good pass rushing linebacker.

Round 3:

65. HOUSTON TEXANS Gerris Wilkinson LB | Georgia Tech

Versatile player who will provide the help they need in terms of a traditional 4-3 linebacker.

66. HOUSTON TEXANS (f/NO)

DeMario Minter CB | Georgia

To say Philip Buchanon was a bust after being traded for would be a major understatement.

67. GREEN BAY PACKERS

Taitusi Lutui OG | Southern Cal

The losses of Mike Wahle and Marco Rivera last offseason hurt this team in a bad way in 2005.

68. SAN FRANCISCO 49'ERS

Danieal Manning DB | Abilene Christian

Top sleeper who is versatile enough to contribute at cornerback, safety and on special teams.

69. OAKLAND RAIDERS

Chris Chester OG | Oklahoma

Raw but extremely athletic and versatile player whose stock has soared since the Combine.

70. BUFFALO BILLS (f/TEN)

Anthony Smith S | Syracuse

Lawyer Milloy is now gone so help is needed in terms of depth and possibly even a starter.

71. NEW YORK JETS

Ryan O'Callaghan OT | California

Jason Fabini was a cap casualty and they need a dominating run blocker like this guy up front.

72. ARIZONA CARDINALS

Jeremy Trueblood OT | Boston College

The offensive line was terrible last year and at the very least this guy will provide some depth.

73. BUFFALO BILLS

Marcus Maxey CB | Miami (FL)

Nate Clements was franchised but depth is still needed behind both him and Terrence McGee.

74. DETROIT LIONS

Darryl Tapp DE | Virginia Tech

Undersized but has an outstanding motor and will push Cory Redding at left defensive end.

75. NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS (f/BAL)

Greg Jennings WR | Western Michigan

David Givens and Andre Davis are both gone and Troy Brown probably doesn't have much left.

76. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

Maurice Stovall WR | Notre Dame

A big, physical receiver who will help replace Terrell Owens, especially in the red zone area.

77. ST. LOUIS RAMS

Ryan LaCasse DE | Syracuse

An underrated player with a great motor to provide some much-needed depth outside at end.

78. CLEVELAND BROWNS

Babatunde Oshinowo DT | Stanford

Ted Washington won't be around much longer and this guy can be a classic 3-4 nose tackle.

79. ATLANTA FALCONS

Joseph Addai RB | L.S.U.

T.J. Duckett is not a good fit for the offense and Warrick Dunn is not getting much younger.

80. DALLAS COWBOYS

Spencer Havner ILB | U.C.L.A.

A versatile playmaker who will address one of their most pressing needs at linebacker in Big D.

81. SAN DIEGO CHARGERS

Devin Aromashodu WR | Auburn

A speedy vertical deep threat who will provide an offensive dimension that they currently lack.

82. MIAMI DOLPHINS

Charlie Whitehurst QB | Clemson

Even if Daunte Culpepper is able to fully recover they will at the very least need a top backup.

83. MINNESOTA VIKINGS

Brodie Croyle QB | Alabama

Brad Johnson is 37-years-old and they really need to start developing a long-term solution.

84. SAN FRANCISCO 49'ERS (f/WAS)

Julien Jenkins DE | Stanford

A classic 3-4 defensive end for them to develop as Bryant Young's eventual replacement.

85. KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

Jonathan Lewis DT | Virginia Tech

This is exactly the type of space-eating, blocker-occupying force that they need on the interior.

86. NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

Stanley McClover OLB | Auburn

Willie McGinest was released and they need to add some young guys to the linebacking corps.

87. NEW YORK GIANTS

Kyle Williams DT | L.S.U.

Kendrick Clancy unexpectedly bolted as a free agent and Tom Coughlin is sure to love this guy.

88. CHICAGO BEARS

Paul McQuistan OT | Weber St.

Premier sleeper whose stock is soaring to provide depth and begin developing for the future.

89. CAROLINA PANTHERS

Roman Harper S | Alabama

Provides depth and will allow them to move Thomas Davis to linebacker on a full-time basis.

90. TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS

A.J. Nicholson OLB | Florida St.

Derrick Brooks is getting up there in years and they don't have much in terms of depth either.

91. CINCINNATI BENGALS

Elvis Dumervil DE | Louisville

Undersized but very productive player with a great motor to improve their outside pass rush.

92. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS

Brian Calhoun RB | Wisconsin

This really isn't their biggest need but Fred Taylor is getting older and it's a great value pick.

93. ATLANTA FALCONS (f/DEN)

Daryn Colledge OT | Boise St.

Undersized but athletic linemen who will be able to help replace Kevin Shaffer at left tackle.

94. INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

Abdul Hodge OLB | Iowa

David Thornton bolted as a free agent and this is the type of athletic player that they look for.

95. MINNESOTA VIKINGS (f/SEA)

Andrew Whitworth OT | L.S.U.

An experienced starter who will provide quality depth at both right and left tackle for them.

96. PITTSBURGH STEELERS

Devin Hester WR | Miami (FL)

Will help replace Antwaan Randle El not only as a receiver but also in the return game as well.

Assume they're right. Grade your team's (or any other's that catches your eye) draft.

Arizona

1.10 - Vince Young QB | Texas

2.41 - Ko Simpson S | South Carolina

3.72 - Jeremy Trueblood OT | Boston College

ATLANTA

2.47 - Antonio Cromartie CB | Florida St

3.79 - Joseph Addai RB | LSU

3.93 - f/DEN Daryn Colledge OT | Boise St

Baltimore

1.13 - Winston Justice OT | USC

2.44 - Darnell Bing S | Southern Cal

Buffalo

1.08 - Haloti Ngata DT | Oregon

2.42 - Eric Winston OT | Miami FL

3.70 - f/TEN Anthony Smith S | Syracuse

3.73 - Marcus Maxey CB | Miami FL

Carolina

1.27 - Lendale White RB | USC

2.58 - Dominique Byrd TE | Southern Cal

3.89 - Roman Harper S | Alabama

Chicago

1.26 - Jonathan Joseph CB | South Carolina

2.57 - Anthony Fasano TE | Notre Dame

3.88 - Paul McQuistan OT | Weber St

Cincinnati

1.24 - Gabe Watson DT | Michigan

2.55 - Marcedes Lewis TE | UCLA

3.91 - Elvis Dumervil DE | Louisville

Cleveland

1.12 - Kamerion Wimbley DE | Florida State

2.43 - Rodrique Wright DE | Texas

3.78 - Babatunde Oshinowo DT | Stanford

Dallas

1.18 - Santonio Holmes WR | Ohio State

2.49 - Jason Allen S | Tennessee

3.80 - Spencer Havner ILB | UCLA

Denver

1.15 - Chad Jackson WR | Florida

1.22 - Tamba Hali DE Penn State

2.61 - Joe Klopfenstein TE | Colorado

Detroit

1.09 - Michael Huff S\CB | Texas

2.40 - Roger McIntosh OLB | Miami FL

3.74 - Darryl Tapp DE | Virginia Tech

Green Bay

1.05 - AJ Hawk OLB | Ohio State

2.36 - Kelly Jennings CB | Miami FL

3.67 - Taitusi Lutui OG | Southern Cal

Houston

1.01 - Reggie Bush RB | USC

2.33 - Sinorice Moss WR | Miami FL

3.65 - Gerris Wilkinson LB | Georgia Tech

3.66 - f/NO DeMario Minter CB | Georgia

Indianapolis

1.30 - Laurence Maroney RB | Minnesota

2.62 - Orien Harris DT | Miami FL

3.94 - Abdul Hodge OLB | Iowa

Jacksonville

1.28 - Thomas Howard OLB | UTEP

2.60 - Davin Joseph OG | Oklahoma

3.92 - Brian Calhoun RB | Wisconsin

Kansas City

1.20 - Ashton Youboty CB | Ohio St

2.54 - Parys Haralson DE | Tennessee

3.85 - Jonathan Lewis DT | Virginia Tech

Miami

1.16 - Jimmy Williams S | Virginia Tech

3.82 - Charlie Whitehurst QB | Clemson

Minnesota

1.17 - Ernie Sims LB | Florida State

2.48 - Max Jean-Gilles OG | Georgia

2.51 - f/MIA Alan Zemaitis CB | Penn St

3.95 - f/SEA Andrew Whitworth OT | LSU

3.83 - Brodie Croyle QB | Alabama

New England

1.21 - DeAngelo Williams RB | Memphis

2.52 - Richard Marshall CB | Fresno St

3.75 - f/BAL Greg Jennings WR | Western Michigan

3.86 - Stanley McClover OLB | Auburn

New Orleans

1.02 - Mario Williams DE | NC State

2.34 - DeMeco Ryans OLB | Alabama

NY Giants

1.25 - Chad Greenway OLB | Iowa

2.56 - Demetrius Williams WR | Oregon

3.87 - Kyle Williams DT | LSU

NY Jets

1.04 - D'Brickashaw Ferguson OT | Virginia

1.29 - Bobby Carpenter OLB | Ohio State

2.35 - Nick Mangold C | Ohio St

3.71 - Ryan O'Callaghan OT | California

Oakland

1.07 - Jay Cutler QB | Vanderbilt

2.38 - Claude Wroten DT | LSU

3.69 - Chris Chester OG | Oklahoma

Philadelphia

1.14 - Brodrick Bunkley DT | Florida State

2.45 - Jon Alston OLB | Stanford

3.76 - Maurice Stovall WR | Notre Dame

Pittsburgh

1.32 - Daniel Bullocks S | Nebraska

2.64 - Mark Anderson OLB | Alabama

3.96 - Devin Hester WR | Miami FL

San Diego

1.19 - Donte Whitner S | Ohio State

2.50 - Jonathan Scott OT | Texas

3.81 - Devin Aromashodu WR | Auburn

San Francisco

1.06 - Vernon Davis TE | Maryland

2.37 - Manny Lawson OLB | North Carolina St

3.68 - Danieal Manning DB | Abilene Christian

3.84 - f/WAS Julien Jenkins DE | Stanford

Seattle

1.31 - Mathias Kiwanuka DE | Boston College

2.63 - Charles Spencer OG | Pittsburgh

St Louis

1.11 - Tye Hill CB | Clemson

2.46 - Leonard Pope TE | Georgia

3.77 - Ryan LaCasse DE | Syracuse

Tampa Bay

1.23 - Marcus McNeil OT | Auburn

2.59 - Cedric Griffin CB | Texas

3.90 - AJ Nicholson OLB | Florida St

Tennessee

1.03 - Matt Lienart QB | USC

2.39 - D'Qwell Jackson ILB | Maryland

WASHINGTON

2.53 -John McCargo DT | North Carolina St

1.04 NY Jets - D'Brickashaw Ferguson (OT Virginia)

1.29 NY Jets - Bobby Carpenter (OLB Ohio State)

2.35. NEW YORK - Nick Mangold C | Ohio St.

3.71. NEW YORK - Ryan O'Callaghan OT | California

I wouldn't want O'Call if JEts draft Brick - A. Jones would be a solid OT on the right side. If the Jets sign the Bills Center they will prbably pass on Mangold as well.

Carpenter would be a good addition to the defense.

I would say B if as is.

Minnesota

I would love the combo of Sims & Jean-Gilles. Whitworth would be nice depth at o-line (possible starter some day).

Croyle is an interesting prospect.

B+ would be my grade.

Houston

No OLine help - Carr gets murdered again in 2006 making the selections of bush and moss not all that great.

Dallas

Santanio Holmes in the first round would definetly be an investment in the future but IMHO Parcells and Jones are making a run for the Superbowl this year so this pick really goes against they done in the offseason.

Love Jason Allen in the second round. About half of the mock drafts i have seen have Allen going to Dallas in the first round.

Spencer Havner an ILB makes no sense. Dallas lacks an OLB to play opposite Ware.

Overall Grade C-

Dallas

Santanio Holmes in the first round would definetly be an investment in the future but IMHO Parcells and Jones are making a run for the Superbowl this year so this pick really goes against they done in the offseason.

Love Jason Allen in the second round. About half of the mock drafts i have seen have Allen going to Dallas in the first round.

Spencer Havner an ILB makes no sense. Dallas lacks an OLB to play opposite Ware.

Overall Grade C-
I agree. They're much more likely to go LB in the 1st (Manny Lawson), safety in the 2nd.

Houston

No OLine help - Carr gets murdered again in 2006 making the selections of bush and moss not all that great.
The changes they've made on the line (bringing in Flanagan really helps put guys in better positions) make the line a lot less of a concern than most think. Still, the area could use some depth. I find the selection of Moss wth their 2nd highly unlikely. Flat out wrong if they pick up Moulds.

Tennessee

1.03 - Matt Leinart QB | USC

I still see TEN dropping down to get more picks - that aside I like the D'Qwell pick

Houston

I find the selection of Moss wth their 2nd highly unlikely. Flat out wrong if they pick up Moulds.
Agree with that statement totally - thats what my point was. The Bush pick aside, moulds with ajohnson is a solid 1-2. They picked up Putzier and have a few young wrs so wr shouldnt be in their sights.

Houston

The changes they've made on the line (bringing in Flanagan really helps put guys in better positions) make the line a lot less of a concern than most think. Still, the area could use some depth. I find the selection of Moss wth their 2nd highly unlikely. Flat out wrong if they pick up Moulds.
Andy, we agree on this

Tennessee

I still see TEN dropping down to get more picks - that aside I like the D'Qwell pick
Really? Because if Lienart is available at 1.03, I could see the Vikings making a real push to trade up.How would picks

1.17 - this year

2.48 - this year

2.51 - this year

1.xx - next year

sound to you in exchance for 1.03?

I don't think the Vikings should do this, but I am getting the sense they will (Please don't kill me Andy).

Tennessee

Really? Because if Lienart is available at 1.03, I could see the Vikings making a real push to trade up.How would picks

1.17 - this year

2.48 - this year

2.51 - this year

1.xx - next year

sound to you in exchance for 1.03?

I don't think the Vikings should do this, but I am getting the sense they will (Please don't kill me Andy).
It depends on what they want - if they want to get Cutler or even Young, 17 is probably too low - 13 might be the limit although either could drop, Denver would probably seriously consider either - as might Baltimore. If they want to go OT and would be happy with O'Neill I think they would do it.48 and 51 would do wonders to fill holes and speed up the turnaround.

If they want to go qb they would be much more interested in pick #9 or #10 - that should still land them one of the top 4.

Thanks Blue Onion. Well thought out and researched. Most of it makes sense, although I still don't see the Niners taking Vernon Davis at #6.
or Dallas picking Holmes now that they have TO

Dallas

Love Jason Allen in the second round.  About half of the mock drafts i have seen have Allen going to Dallas in the first round.

Spencer Havner an ILB makes no sense.  Dallas lacks an OLB to play opposite Ware. 

Overall Grade C-
You pretty much nailed it on every call. Allen is the only one that makes sense. Assuming we change 1.18 to an OLB like Wimbley, Lawson, or Carpenter, and then keep Allen, I'd see OLine, NT, or TE as the most likely spots for the 3rd round.We've talked about Holmes at 18. Allen likely represents BPA at 49 and it addresses a perceived need. ILB makes no sense. Dallas has Bradie James, Akin Ayodele, last year's second rounder Kevin Burnett, Ryan Fowler, and Scott Shanle at ILB. They are going to add a 3rd rounder there as well? My guess is probably not. Especially with guys like Whitworth and Colledge on the board.

Assume they're right. Grade your team's (or any other's that catches your eye) draft.

Houston

If the Texans take skill position players in rounds 1 & 2 when their most glaring holes are on the OL and D, I might just have a heart attack.

Not a single RB taken in the 2nd, and all but Bush falling to the late 1st. Interesting...

Oakland

1.07 - Jay Cutler QB | Vanderbilt

2.38 - Claude Wroten DT | LSU

3.69 - Chris Chester OG | Oklahoma

Uggh. Not saying this is not possible, but I am very much on the "don't take a QB" bandwagon.

I'd give it a 'C'.

If the rest of the draft played out that way, I'd go:

Ngata

Simpson or Bing

Chester--I'm fine with a guard in the third. LOVE to get a DE or OLB somewhere.

Dallas

Overall Grade C-
Is Burnett not an option?

Burnett can play outside. He did at the end of last year. But Parcells has indicated that he's probably better suited for an ILB spot. I can see Dallas using Burnett as a swing guy who can play all 4 LB spots. You certainly need depth and he's a great guy to provide that in my view.

I think Dallas is looking for another explosive guy to bookend with Ware. Burnett isn't really all that explosive.

Green Bay

I don't know about Hawk. Top 5 linebackers in the past 15 years have not had good results. The best is probably Arrington or Marvin Jones. But if they stay at 5 and Mario is indeed gone, this guy is their pick.

Kelly Jennings certainly fills a position of need. This could change if Charles Woodson plays in GB this year though. They have very few talented young guys in the secondary, like 1 or 2. They need to recoup the depth here and Jennings could help.

Taitusi Lutui is a great pick and if I had to bet money, I'd say the chances of Green Bay snagging a guard on day one are great. This is a huge need and while I don't think they'll take on in the 2nd, the 3rd is almost a lock.

Overall accuracy grade: A (Can't dispute anything here)

Overall Happiness: B (I'd like to trade back if Brick and Super Mario are gone).

New England

Minnesota and the Jets would get my best grade. I think that would be a GREAT draft for the Jets.I am hoping that DeAngelo does fall to the Pats at 21. I like Marshall in the 2nd. I have seen too many mocks have the Pats taking him in the 1st. I dont think that will happen.

I dont know much about Jennings from Western Michigan but I find it hard to believe that the Pats will take him over Maurice Stovall from Dame. I dont know much about McClover.

Overall Grade: B

Dallas

Love Jason Allen in the second round.  About half of the mock drafts i have seen have Allen going to Dallas in the first round.

Spencer Havner an ILB makes no sense.  Dallas lacks an OLB to play opposite Ware. 

Overall Grade C-
You pretty much nailed it on every call. Allen is the only one that makes sense. Assuming we change 1.18 to an OLB like Wimbley, Lawson, or Carpenter, and then keep Allen, I'd see OLine, NT, or TE as the most likely spots for the 3rd round.We've talked about Holmes at 18. Allen likely represents BPA at 49 and it addresses a perceived need. ILB makes no sense. Dallas has Bradie James, Akin Ayodele, last year's second rounder Kevin Burnett, Ryan Fowler, and Scott Shanle at ILB. They are going to add a 3rd rounder there as well? My guess is probably not. Especially with guys like Whitworth and Colledge on the board.
Why does everyone assume that Ayodele will play ILB? I know that's what Parcells said (or was it JJ?) but I can't help but think that he may be blowing smoke so that other teams won't trade up in front of them to take a player they want. As a DE in college and an OLB in Jax, I think Ayodele is more suited to a pass rushing OLB. I understand he can cover TE's too.If nothing else, I think he has the versatility to play either. Which leaves some options in the draft. We're not committed to getting an OLB in the first two rounds. We can go ILB instead.

I think we need a starting LB and a starting FS out of this draft. After that youth is needed at WR and on the OL. Based on this, Holmes, Allen and Havner make some sense.

I agree that Allen is good value. Holmes is probably not bad value but I'm just not sold on him as a WR1. Havner is actually listed as an OLB by this site yet is listed as an ILB in the mock. I'm guessing he would play inside in the 3-4.

In the end, I might rank it a B.

Baltimore

1.13 - Winston Justice OT | USC

2.44 - Darnell Bing S | Southern Cal

This wouldn't be a bad draft actually and both picks make perfect sense logically, but I doubt it will ever happen.

In 10 years running the team, Ozzie has taken exactly one OL in the first round -- a guy named Jonathan Ogden. The organizational philosophy is that in the salary cap era, you have to save money somewhere and the Ravens choose to save it on the O Line. Their philosophy is to "draft guys that touch the ball or touch the quarteback."

They seem to believe the either Tony Pashos or Adam Terry (who they traded up to get late in the 2nd round last year) will be good enough at Right Tackle this year.

So in this scenario, I think they would either take Bunkley (who they are supposedly very high on, especially since the defection of their NT to Carolina means they're currently lining up two dwarves at DT) or DeAngelo Williams (since Jamal's new deal is essentially for one year).

I'd love to see them take a good Safety to pair with Reed, but they've been very good at identifying talent at Safety far down in the draft (other than Reed, of course) and I wouldn't be surprised to see them wait a few rounds and get a high quality player later on. Will Demps, who they just lost to the Giants, was a 4-year starter after being signed as an undrafted free agent.

San Francisco -

1.06 Vernon Davis | TE Maryland

2.37 Manny Lawson OLB | North Carolina St.

3.68 Danieal Manning DB | Abilene Christian

I'm not all that familiar with Manning but based on what I read if the 49ers walk out of Day 1 with these three guys they'll be very happy. I do know that Davis and Lawson will help immediately and have *very* high ceilings.

I'd call that an A- or maybe even an A

I agree that the Jets and Packers drafts also look very strong; put me down for A- for both those guys as well. And considering they don't have a pick in the first, the Falcons do nicely here.

I know so many Bears fans that are freakin' out that if they take anything but a TE in Round One, that there won't be any good ones left in Rounds 2 or 3.

Judging by past history, they're nuts.

The Bears should be able to get the TE from ND or Colorado in Round 2 GUARANTEED - or they can hold out until Day Two and be guaranteed of getting that sleeper from Western Michigan.

If they don't resign Lance Briggs, they should consider drafting an OLB in Round One or Two imho.

CB / OLB / TE / WR are their need positions.

New England

Minnesota and the Jets would get my best grade. I think that would be a GREAT draft for the Jets.
NY Jets1.04 - D'Brickashaw Ferguson OT | Virginia

1.29 - Bobby Carpenter OLB | Ohio State

2.35 - Nick Mangold C | Ohio St

3.71 - Ryan O'Callaghan OT | California

This would be a GREAT draft for the Jets? Maybe I'm crazy, but taking three O-lineman in the first three rounds is the stupidest team management I've ever seen. It's ony thing to spend a high pick on an LT, so I've got no bones on the Ferguson pick. You could even argue that Mangold is a must-draft at 2.35. But if you've done that, you just have to address some other need at 3.71!

Green Bay

I don't know about Hawk. Top 5 linebackers in the past 15 years have not had good results. The best is probably Arrington or Marvin Jones. But if they stay at 5 and Mario is indeed gone, this guy is their pick.

Kelly Jennings certainly fills a position of need. This could change if Charles Woodson plays in GB this year though. They have very few talented young guys in the secondary, like 1 or 2. They need to recoup the depth here and Jennings could help.

Taitusi Lutui is a great pick and if I had to bet money, I'd say the chances of Green Bay snagging a guard on day one are great. This is a huge need and while I don't think they'll take on in the 2nd, the 3rd is almost a lock.

Overall accuracy grade: A (Can't dispute anything here)

Overall Happiness: B (I'd like to trade back if Brick and Super Mario are gone).
With looking at this draft, I really like the Packers trading down and grabbing alot more picks. The one with Minny that was suggested for Titans would make alot of sense also, Get 2 LB's and a WR/TE/OL type to go with the rest of the draft. I think this more and more if Mario is not there as I have him head and shoulders above the rest of the position compared to Hawk who I really like but not as big. Maybe make it a 2nd instead of 1st in 2007 also and than get Ahmad Brooks in the supplemental.

Minnesota

I would love the combo of Sims & Jean-Gilles. Whitworth would be nice depth at o-line (possible starter some day).

Croyle is an interesting prospect.

B+ would be my grade.
This would be an amazing draft for the Vikings! I am of the camp thinking that they will take QB in round 2 (Croyle or Whitehurst), so if they can get one of the two in round 3 (Jacobs as well), then that would be a bonus. Sounds like the Penn State guys did HORRIBLE at their Pro Day. I only heard that one performed worth anything (but didn't hear which one that was).

San Diego1.19 - Donte Whitner S | Ohio State2.50 - Jonathan Scott OT | Texas3.81 - Devin Aromashodu WR | Auburn
These are the Chargers needs, but I'm hoping they address them in different order.Whitner at 19 is a reach with Simpson and Bing as comparable if not higher rated S's still on the board, and with Zemaitis possibly a S convert available.I'd love to roll the dice on Jon Scott in round 2. I keep reading about Scott's "upside" and "potential", but he's already been a unanimous first team All American and has great size, so he'd be able to contribute immediately for the Chargers.I don't know anything about Aromashodu but I'd rather they spend their 3rd rounder on more OL help than a WR flier. A common misconception is that the Chargers need WR help when in fact the Bolts have a nice stable in McCardell, Parker, Vincent Jackson (their 2nd round pick from '05 whom they're very high on) and Kassim Osgood. None are gamebreakers (except possibly VJackson), but all are capable and AJ Smith feels confident enough in this group that he let Reche Caldwell walk w/o an offer this offseason.C+ if the Chargers take these three guys - I think Whitner is a reach and Aromashodu is an unnecessary stab when quality OL depth is available. Only the Scott selection keeps this from being a disaster, IMO.

Houston

Andy, we agree on this
I also agree. Assuming it's not O'line, that 2nd round pick will likely be BPA on defense. Our defense needs help everywhere!

Minnesota

If this is the Vikings draft then I hope they can find MLB via free agency or trade. Because EJ Henderson is decent on the outside but I do not want to see him back in the middle.

Users who are viewing this thread